• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How to properly photograph your pins! (PODM / frame tutorial included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to properly photograph your pins! (PODM / frame tutorial included)

BugCatcherJenna

It doesnt have to be a snowman
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Okay, so most everyone has this problem- photographing your pin's frame!!!
We all want to show off our beautiful frames, and see beautiful frames- so I decided to create this little guide.

You will need... a camera, a light source, and a piece of paper (depending on your frame's darkness)

You will see my Tangled PODM pin. My pin has a VERY dark frame of Rapunzel admiring the lanterns - I will show you how to properly photograph these DARK scenes!

I have a DSLR camera (a fancy pants camera where you can change the lens) I am just using the standard lens the camera came with.
You DO NOT have to have a fancy camera to follow these steps!
Most digital, and maybe even the camera on your phone will have these settings!!!

What you will need.... your PODM pin, a scrap piece of plain white paper (optional), a lamp/ window, and your camera!

Step 1: Setting your camera- You will see in these pictures the different settings you can use to take pictures of your pins!
Depending on your camera you will either have to change the mode dial (turny thing you will see in my picture) or go directly into your camera and change the settings- for cameras with out a mode dial. After you change the settings you can just snap away! :)

314869_4749035961859_974965415_n.jpg

The "P" on your camera indicates the setting "Program Auto" Your camera will automatically adjust to the lighting. This is the setting that most people use when they are taking pictures. :)

76384_4749034521823_429295512_n.jpg

The setting I use to photograph small things is called "Macro Mode" you will see the little icon on your camera's settings is a FLOWER!
The flower indicates "Macro Mode" This mode focuses on smaller items, such as pins, flowers, etc. It is useful for more detailed things. Most cameras will have this setting. LEARN MORE ABOUT MACRO MODE, HERE!

Example 1: I will show you the PODM pins, on the card, laying flat on my bed. NOT LIT UP.

If you have a scratch on your frame, this would be the way you could show someone else the damage on your pin.
I would recommend NOT using flash.
THIS IS HOW YOU WOULD PHOTOGRAPH A NORMAL PIN / PIN SET!
Let me say, I have a LOVE / HATE relationship with flash. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it looks terrible- You just have to work and see what works for you.

734330_4749647097137_313176400_n.jpg

As you can see, PA (program auto) does not pick up the details very well around Flynn and Rapunzel. The flash makes things very bright,
so if you want to show someone a scratch on your frame DO NOT USE FLASH.

397410_4749638056911_1661176945_n.jpg

Here it is again, with out the card, and without the flash.

535648_4749652097262_2048598364_n.jpg

Here is MM (Macro Mode) MM picks up a lot more detail around Flynn and Rapunzel. The frame is still blurred by the flash,
so again if you need to see scratches DO NOT USE FLASH!

540691_4749638136913_414358125_n.jpg

Here it is again, without the card, and with the flash.

^^This is how I take pictures of NORMAL (Non-PODM) pins, and pin sets.
You can choose to use flash if it's dark, or use natural lighting from a window (That works best!)

Example 2: Here I will show you just the PODM pin held up to the light, no paper, no cards.

540757_4749637776904_792610667_n.jpg

Blurry..

644400_4749646137113_1608830266_n.jpg

You can see all the details with MM!

533620_4749646337118_1669108811_n.jpg

You can see the frame perfectly, at least. NOTE: This was MY lighting... I was taking these pictures at night pretty much... your result may be better than mine! Just keep trying! :D

Example 3: I will show you the pin held up to light with a scrap piece of white paper pinned to the back. (So you do not see whats in the background through the frame)

250685_4749651857256_197392021_n.jpg

As you can tell it brightens the frame up... maybe even TOO much.

SORRY- I FORGOT TO TAKE A MACRO VERSION!!!~
But there's not much difference, other than you can see the pin and frame with better detail.

Example 4: Now I will show you the frame held up to light, on the card, with NO paper behind, so you can see the background.

422983_4749652017260_1626250266_n.jpg

You can see the contrast of the frame and the background because it has no paper behind it.

FORGOT TO TAKE PROGRAM AUTO PIC~
But there's not much difference, other than you can NOT see the pin and frame with better detail, and the frame is blurry.

And remember, natural lighting looks best. Sit next to a window and take pictures of your pins- they will be great. Always keep trying and trying again! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me, or comment here! I am always willing to help!

Last edited:
Great tut! especially for those that want to know how to take good pictures of PODM. I personally put my podm with the backer card and prop it up against something and then take the photo. That way there won't be blurry because you won't be holding both the pin and the camera. However, note that I don't use flash so it tends to blur more when it is without flash. Sometimes, I even use a tripod when it's late at night at my room is super dark.

I tried using my laptop screen using a blank word document as the background with a POS kodak point and shoot. I always picked up the lines of the computer screen through the frame. I never thought to stick paper behind the cell

Great tut! especially for those that want to know how to take good pictures of PODM. I personally put my podm with the backer card and prop it up against something and then take the photo. That way there won't be blurry because you won't be holding both the pin and the camera. However, note that I don't use flash so it tends to blur more when it is without flash. Sometimes, I even use a tripod when it's late at night at my room is super dark.

Yes! :D One handed photography is hardly ever a good idea! LOL but since I just moved my tripod is somewhere in a box.. :(

I tried using my laptop screen using a blank word document as the background with a POS kodak point and shoot. I always picked up the lines of the computer screen through the frame. I never thought to stick paper behind the cell

I'm glad I could help! I tried to do that to with my laptop... doesn't work too well without the paper!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back