• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

I heard Chimeree is being pulled for political reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard Chimeree is being pulled for political reasons?

karkura

Gryffindor House Prefect
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So I was pin trading yesterday at DLR and heard from a cast member that Chimeree will no longer be made because he looks, for lack of better words, politically incorrect?

Did anyone else hear about this?

What do you guys think?

pin82350.jpg

I mean... It definitely DID occur to me that he looked hilariously offensive. If this is actually happening, and Chimeree is really going to get yanked, I'm totally cool with it. Just makes the ones I own more valuable.

-JD

It saddens me to see things get censored for politically correctness. Is there an article from Disney saying why, or could it be that actually that they would just stop circulating/producing this particular pin after this year anyway, is this not a 2011HM?

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm going to risk looking stupid here and ask why is it offensive? His clothes remind me of a boy scout uniform but I'm guessing that's totally not it. Can someone give me a hint or PM me if you can't post it.

Hmm, I'm going to risk looking stupid here and ask why is it offensive? His clothes remind me of a boy scout uniform but I'm guessing that's totally not it. Can someone give me a hint or PM me if you can't post it.

He did not look offensive to me originally. But after talking to the cast member, I guess it is because he looks African American. And of course he is holding the chimney sweep which makes him look like a servant or something. I don't know :sad:

Did anyone see Dick Van Dyke in the movie?
Chim Chiminy Chim Chiminy Chim Chim Sharoo............

People will find fault with everything and everyone.
This race thing is totally out of hand.

But in the same token, I guess its ok to have a pin that says EAT ME with Alice's legs in a certain position and a butterfly that resembles.....you really dont need to use your imagination on this one: So its ok to be sexual, just not racial. This whole thing is CR@P. We are all just people and no matter who was in the chiminy, you would look black from soot. Damn!
pin83457
Seriously, this is ok? See, you can read into anything if you try hard enough.
They had the same issue with Uncle Ramos. You cant erase the past but you can change the future. It was what it was but chimeree was white and got dirty just like Dick Van Dyke. (woooooo, I said Dick.....and Dyke)

My marshmallows are ready, where are the flames???????

It's not that he looks genuinely like any race or ethnicity. It's that he looks like a Deebee in blackface, and he's even "flashin' them pearly whites".

-Jason

Last edited:
"Uncle Ramos" LOL...ya mean Uncle Remus? *giggle*

I agree, this is one of the DUMBEST examples of "PC" (for something Disney) I've ever heard of--I agree, did any of those people actually ever SEE "Mary Poppins"????? :rolleyes:

I think the real irony is that this is far from the first time Mary Poppins, as a brand, has come under fire for racism.

-JD

He did not look offensive to me originally. But after talking to the cast member, I guess it is because he looks African American. And of course he is holding the chimney sweep which makes him look like a servant or something. I don't know :sad:

Ohhh, thanks. That's kind of nuts.

"Uncle Ramos" LOL...ya mean Uncle Remus? *giggle*

I agree, this is one of the DUMBEST examples of "PC" (for something Disney) I've ever heard of--I agree, did any of those people actually ever SEE "Mary Poppins"????? :rolleyes:

LOL Remus. OOPS!
I did get DICK van DYKE right though. We pronounce it different here...lol

My marshmallows are ready, where are the flames???????
Bwah ha ha - Oh Dan, you do make me laugh! Thanks for not losing your sense of humor - I find you informative, funny and you make me laugh.

Oh my - now that I think about it, that Alice is a tad racy, eh? Silly me, I wore the pin to my kids' football practice the other night at the *church* ...wonder what everyone thought?! ...oh my. [/blush]

I can see the potential "blackface" or "sambo" claims being made, but if Disney does pull the pin it is more due to precieved backlash than real. Better solution would be for future editions of the pin to be more of an "ash" gray rather than chimney soot black.

Dan you're the greatest! Just love the response and totally agree. We met you last march in line for pins in frontier land, we traded you a chip & dale visa pin for one of your kids. You gave us a great flyer and helped us start our pin trading adventure!
Liana

I assume this is referring to blackface- which reminds me of a favorite 30 Rock moment.... 2 Black Swans

black%2Bswan%2B30%2Brock.png

for the lulz

I can see the potential "blackface" or "sambo" claims being made, but if Disney does pull the pin it is more due to precieved backlash than real. Better solution would be for future editions of the pin to be more of an "ash" gray rather than chimney soot black.

If Disney were to do that, people would then think the ash gray are scappers and then there's the whole gate of issues that'll open. I say leave it as it is and PC or not, who cares? It's following a story that has nothing to do with race. Let it be!

I understand some of the posters' anti PC comments, but consider an environment where anti PC policy is the norm. I live and worked in a very religiously and politically conservative area. School officials were very anti PC. Students could use any language and not be punished. Teachers were reprimanded for commenting that students should not use "bad" language. Of course, if a teacher used those words, there were repercussions for even using "redneck" or "hillbilly".

I hope that Disney will stand up to the conservative groups and continue to feature "rainbow" on their pins. The Hard Rock Cafes have been under attack for their gay pride pins. Many HR cafes have stopped releasing gay pride or rainbow pins, rather than offend the religious right.

Sambo??..SAMBOS..I was just going to ask if any one wanted to go get sum pancakes in santa barbara.. I would have hated to b Sam or Bo. They had like 20-40 of those shops. now there is just one in SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back