• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Little Mermaid’s Blu-Ray has part of her world in the wrong place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Mermaid’s Blu-Ray has part of her world in the wrong place?

ahn_dray_uh

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
I don't think it's such a big deal. If I hadn't seen this before I watched the movie, I wouldn't have noticed.

It's a HUGE deal. It may be subtle to some, but to create an animation sync error in the very HEART of the film and then claim it doesn't impact the integrity of the film is downright insulting to those that made it and those that love it. Ariel is clearly animated to that verse, and seeing her motion to it while singing nothing damages the final impact of the song. It's not the only foulup from the restoration/conversion process. The fade on Scuttle's intro is gone (yet the music still cues it), and the credits have been shifted so they're not as in sync with the music as designed (as well as dropping the Silver Screen Partners IV credit). The last I can live with though even if it's a change made that really should only affect the 3D version. It's a huge deal indeed when you consider that this is one of the companies biggest films, how so much of this disc they got right after the recent awful slew of animated blurays (the colors, no DNR scrub to death of the grain and sound vastly improved over the mediocre Platinum release) and the simple fact that there is NO excuse for that getting past Quality Control (much like the Lion King cloud issue). None.

The only good news is I've been hearing that they're fixing the digital copy versions. So obviously it's nothing hard to fix and little reason not to offer replacement discs for those that ask.

I also agree that it's a big deal. I noticed it straight away. To get something like this wrong on one of Disney's biggest films is crazy.

That's my favourite part of the movie and that scene just gives me so many feelings, but I'm not bothered by the mistake, it doesn't ruin anything for me. I had to watch that clip a few times to really understand what the issue was. I won't let that be a reason I won't buy my second favourite Disney movie. Maybe it's because I don't watch my Diamond edition versions of The Lion King and The Little Mermaid, so I've never noticed these mistakes.

I can definitely see why it would be jarring for the AV fanatics, le sigh. Shenanagins aside, I'll probaby still get the 3D version but go back and download...

Last edited:
I'm glad I don't have a BD player, so I wouldn't have to buy this one on BD.
Already got the DVD from when it was released a few years back, still very happy with that one.

If I would have gotten the BD, it would have annoyed the hell out of me :/

It's like watching it for the first time. I haven't seen it in years as I never owned it on VHS or DVD, so it's like watching it for the first time. What am I missing that is different? I have seen things I haven't remembered, but I'm loving it. Sitting here in tears.

It's interesting hearing everyone's opinion about the oppies that disney did..my sister saw it and freaked out and thought the blu-ray was skipping haha

I live in the uk and the 3d version has not been released here and i'm wondering if I purchased the u.s edition would it play on my player as I have heard some blu-rays are region free??

Disney is doing a replacement program. I've been trying to get the people on this forum to care about this for quite some time now.

Personally... I don't really care. Had it not been brought to my attention I'd not have noticed, and it's my favourite Disney movie. But in saying that, I've not seen it for a very long time. They've not skipped a part, or have problems with lip syncing to the words, so overall I don't think it affects the movie. But I guess the principle of it is that it shouldn't have an error.

It makes a big difference. The point of this release was to make it available in a higher quality format than the previous release. They should not be changing the movie itself. It's no different than taking a piece of art and while restoring it changing something about it. It should not be done. The end of the scene does not flow properly with the change they made.

It's like watching it for the first time. I haven't seen it in years as I never owned it on VHS or DVD, so it's like watching it for the first time. What am I missing that is different? I have seen things I haven't remembered, but I'm loving it. Sitting here in tears.

Watching the clip in the very first post of this thread might be usefull.

It's a HUGE deal. It may be subtle to some, but to create an animation sync error in the very HEART of the film and then claim it doesn't impact the integrity of the film is downright insulting to those that made it and those that love it. Ariel is clearly animated to that verse, and seeing her motion to it while singing nothing damages the final impact of the song. It's not the only foulup from the restoration/conversion process. The fade on Scuttle's intro is gone (yet the music still cues it), and the credits have been shifted so they're not as in sync with the music as designed (as well as dropping the Silver Screen Partners IV credit). The last I can live with though even if it's a change made that really should only affect the 3D version. It's a huge deal indeed when you consider that this is one of the companies biggest films, how so much of this disc they got right after the recent awful slew of animated blurays (the colors, no DNR scrub to death of the grain and sound vastly improved over the mediocre Platinum release) and the simple fact that there is NO excuse for that getting past Quality Control (much like the Lion King cloud issue). None.

The only good news is I've been hearing that they're fixing the digital copy versions. So obviously it's nothing hard to fix and little reason not to offer replacement discs for those that ask.

I get your points, but it didn't bother me much. I felt they did an extraordinary job restoring the movie. I have every single Disney 3D and blu-ray to date and I think this is one of the best IMO. I did notice the error right away, but to be honest I was paying more attention to how miraculous Ariel looked floating down on Blu-ray with the sun rays leaving a shadow on the ocean floor. There were details I hadn't noticed before from the previous releases; I didn't even notice the sea urchin, until watching the blu-ray, when she swims up to the top of the grotto and reaches out. I found the audio to sound a little different. There was more of a echo in the Grotto and it seemed like they faded the music audio while increasing the vocal's volume. This is one of the main reasons I no longer get rid of my older copies of movies when a newer version comes out. I learned the hard way in the past.

Please let us know if you find out any more information on whether or not Disney will be offering replacement discs with the error corrected.

I've been trying to look into it..from the article above and from others I've seen online

And here is Disney’s response via their Consumer Relations:

Thank you for contacting Walt Disney Studios.

In preparation for its Blu-ray release, THE LITTLE MERMAID went through an intensive re-mastering process. Unfortunately, a minor oversight led to a switch of two small cuts during the “Part of Your World” scene.

There is no impact on the quality or overall experience of the film.

We hope this provides you with the information you require. However, if you require any further information then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Disney Consumer Relations

But i'm sure if more people complain then it'll start getting a lot more attention

I'm reading that Disney is offering a replacement program and certain digital copies have been fixed. Officially, it' correct the PoYW error, but I'm also hearing they restored the Scuttle fade. Currently, they're only replacing 2D versions.

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/ContactUs
800-723-4763 (U.S.)
888-877-2843 (Canada)

I'm beyond grateful that enough people cared in the fandom and the company to set this right. Looks like I may be able to retire my 1990 Laserdisc after all. Shame the bishop will never get his knees back though...:drool:

Last edited:
I'm reading that Disney is offering a replacement program and certain digital copies have been fixed. Officially, it' correct the PoYW error, but I'm also hearing they restored the Scuttle fade. Currently, they're only replacing 2D versions.

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/ContactUs
800-723-4763 (U.S.)
888-877-2843 (Canada)

I'm beyond grateful that enough people cared in the fandom and the company to set this right. Looks like I may be able to retire my 1990 Laserdisc after all. Shame the bishop will never get his knees back though...:drool:

Thank you so much for this information :) I purchased 3 copies (the regular pre-order version from Disney, the gold cover version and the 3D) so I'd be more than happy to have the regular blu-ray/dvd pre-order from the Disney Store replaced lol. I wish they would have corrected the 3D and Blu-ray though. Funny that they should say "there is no impact on the quality and overall experience of the film." I beg to differ lol; there is definitely an impact, but its very minor. Nonetheless, for the prices we pay for the movies they should be edited and released correctly.

I just bought the DVD/blu-ray version this week (did not pre-order it). Are we supposed to send our diamond edition dvd back to them for replacement? Or will they just ship out a new one?

I just bought the DVD/blu-ray version this week (did not pre-order it). Are we supposed to send our diamond edition dvd back to them for replacement? Or will they just ship out a new one?

Yes, I'd like to know too. Are they doing a recall? Or do we have to contact them? Personally, I can't believe they go through all that work to remaster the movie and then don't recheck to make sure everything's in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back