• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Maleficent - DA Expressions vs PALM Portrait series

Maleficent - DA Expressions vs PALM Portrait series

figment919

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
I guess if you have been in the hobby long enough you probably have come across something like this.

I was looking at the PALM Maleficent pins that have come out recently and thought "they look very familiar" to me.

Doing some digging through my collection I came across my DA Maleficent pins from 2004 - PP #33933. LE 100's, $108 for the 6 pin set.

While "similar", they are different from the PALM (which are very nice) pins.

I guess when you have doing the hobby for over 20 years this will happen!

do you think this devalues or increases the value of the originals? 🤔
I think so many people in the hobby at this point are new that they're not even aware of the older pins, nor for the most part will they have a chance to get them as most are tucked away in forever homes rather than out in the trading "market". Plus of course character and theme popularity ebbs and flows over time.

It annoys me to see any artwork copied - whether from Disney or a 3rd party. But I've always said the value of a pin is unto itself, not monetary, so ultimately, they're all worth nothing beyond what they cost you - and in the future may lose even that $ value.

That said, as noted above, and I agree - nothing has ever topped the quality of the DA pins.

I have a few DA pins in the collection and definitely agree, nothing will ever match or top their quality..... not even Disney itself has released anything of similar quality in the past few years :(

I think so many people in the hobby at this point are new that they're not even aware of the older pins, nor for the most part will they have a chance to get them as most are tucked away in forever homes rather than out in the trading "market". Plus of course character and theme popularity ebbs and flows over time.

It annoys me to see any artwork copied - whether from Disney or a 3rd party. But I've always said the value of a pin is unto itself, not monetary, so ultimately, they're all worth nothing beyond what they cost you - and in the future may lose even that $ value.

That said, as noted above, and I agree - nothing has ever topped the quality of the DA pins.
I’m annoyed too about using the same art work. It feels lazy or unimaginative. I feel like PALM could have added something to make them different enough that they felt fresh and new.

I’m annoyed too about using the same art work. It feels lazy or unimaginative. I feel like PALM could have added something to make them different enough that they felt fresh and new.
Of course Disney themselves are the guiltiest of all in doing that. As a Wonderland completist, I have SOOOOOOOO MANY PINS of all the characters in the exact same poses!!!

But while I wish that both Disney and licensees would not just copy the past, I also know that it's easier to get something approved that's already been approved before than to get approval for something brand new. So, it's a tough situation even for those making them.

Then again, Loungefly is out there making all kinds of weird new stuff like Princess tents or characters as cake or whatever, and that feels like a desperation move too - let's do characters as (fill in the blank).

Of course Disney themselves are the guiltiest of all in doing that. As a Wonderland completist, I have SOOOOOOOO MANY PINS of all the characters in the exact same poses!!!

But while I wish that both Disney and licensees would not just copy the past, I also know that it's easier to get something approved that's already been approved before than to get approval for something brand new. So, it's a tough situation even for those making them.
I'm surprised they copied.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

I guess if you have been in the hobby long enough you probably have come across something like this.

I was looking at the PALM Maleficent pins that have come out recently and thought "they look very familiar" to me.

Doing some digging through my collection I came across my DA Maleficent pins from 2004 - PP #33933. LE 100's, $108 for the 6 pin set.

While "similar", they are different from the PALM (which are very nice) pins.

I guess when you have doing the hobby for over 20 years this will happen!

The PALM pins are much larger. 3.5" vs 2.375" x 2.5". And the poses are different

Then again, Loungefly is out there making all kinds of weird new stuff like Princess tents or characters as cake or whatever, and that feels like a desperation move too - let's do characters as (fill in the blank).
Maybe they just don't have a good feedback loop to know what works well. They know the characters that work well but not the designs. And even more specifically why a design worked in the first place. The Disneyland poster series was awesome and so they did the It's Showtime posters this year. They don't feel the same but since the originals did so well I'm sure they thought this series would too.

Back