• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

My Walt Disney/Jules Verne Collection (Updated: Sept. 11, 2013... Mermaids!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Walt Disney/Jules Verne Collection (Updated: Sept. 11, 2013... Mermaids!)

CoryTheRaven

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
What led me to this forum was a desire to expand my collection of pins giving tribue to the films and attractions based on Jules Verne, but only the ones with Disney characters... Yes, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but there is more. In Disneyland Paris there is Space Mountain, which was originally inspired by Verne's From the Earth to the Moon and the Orbitron. And then in Tokyo there is the Mysterious Island port of Disneysea, with rides based on 20K and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Unfortunately I have yet to see any In Search of the Castaways pins, but hope springs eternal! ^_~

I actually have two pin collections. The one on the right is my "memento collection", featuring the Disneyland 50th anniv ersary logo, the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society, Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour, Adventures by Disney's Lights... Camera... Magic! Tour, and the Walt Disney Studios. These are the souvenirs of places gone and tours taken...

DSC05951.JPG

On the left is my Verne collection thus far. Here is a closer look...

DSC05948.JPG

Top row (with a tonne of glare) has Space Mountain: Mission 2 with Donald and the Astro-Orbitor/Orbiter/Orbitron with Stitch, second row has two Mysterious Island pins with Donald, and row three has Tokyo's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with Minnie, Journey to the Center of the Earth with Mickey, and Nautilus Gifts also with Mickey (and I laughed when I bought that one, because it was the first pin I had ever seen for a gift shop).

I've got a couple on the way as well... A set I'm trying to complete is Mickey and co. as characters from 20,000 Leagues. Mickey as Captain Nemo and Goofy as Arronax are on the way, but I won't post photos again until I have that whole set. I'm on the lookout for the remainder, as well as the Walt Disney World 20,000 Leagues attraction memorial pin with Ursula and Goofy on the Astro-Orbitor/er/ron. Those last two are probably my grails right now, if anyone can take a look at my PinPics traders and lend a hand.

And I'm sure that those of you with 10,000 pins are chuckling at my 12 right now ^_~

Last edited:
I LOVE your DisneySea pins! Mysterious Island is my favorite area of any Disney theme park that I have been to, and Journey is my favorite ride ever. :D I didn't even realize those pins existed, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful collection!

Laughing about the grand old master?
julesvern.jpg

Never!

Nice collection. As someone who also collects science and science fiction Disney I salute you. But you do need to get this set:
pin84979

[Pinpics]84979[/pinpics]: DLR - Sci-Fi Academy Alumni - Compendium of the Extraordinary

Good luck with your journey!

kajtdd

Thanks everybody!

I LOVE your DisneySea pins! Mysterious Island is my favorite area of any Disney theme park that I have been to, and Journey is my favorite ride ever. :D I didn't even realize those pins existed, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful collection!

Me too! While Disneyland USA is still my favourite Magic Kingdom-style park, Disneysea was amazing and Mysterious Island is my favourite "land" AND 20,000 Leagues and Journey are tied for my favourite ride. I love their visualizations of Verne's work and the cartoony elements they added. It wouldn't offend me at all if they brought 20,000 Leagues, Journey, and Paris' Mysteries of the Nautilus over to North America ^_^

I just wish they had MORE stuff in the gift shop! Those three pins on the bottom, a die-cast toy of the Journey ride vehicle and the park soundtrack were all they had related to these rides. The merchandise situation in Tokyo Disney is even more dire than in the American parks.

Nice collection. As someone who also collects science and science fiction Disney I salute you. But you do need to get this set:
pin84979

[Pinpics]84979[/Pinpics]: DLR - Sci-Fi Academy Alumni - Compendium of the Extraordinary

kajtdd

I saw those pins in someone's trade book the last time I was down in Disneyland. They are beautiful and I can even forgive that one of the books is H.G. Wells (why on earth didn't they go with Around the World in 80 Days?!). I'm just not sure if they technically fit with my collection... I'll save it for round two once I get all the things I currently want and have caught the pin bug even harder ^_~

i love your set

Laughing about the grand old master?
julesvern.jpg

Never!

pin84979

[Pinpics]84979[/Pinpics]: DLR - Sci-Fi Academy Alumni - Compendium of the Extraordinary

kajtdd

Ooh i want

where can i get that box set?

So I figure that it's time to update this with some more recent pics. My Verne collection isn't quite done to my satisfaction yet, but those last three pins I'm looking for don't seem to be forthcoming. So, anyways...

Firstly, I utilized a nice method for display that I picked up from another user on here, which was framing piece of cork covered by coloured foam. Since blue and gold are the colours I best associate with Disneyland (becuse my first trips there were during the 50th anniversary), I went with that. As an example, here is my collection of memento pins, with new accessions and a few deaccessions to bring it more in line with my love of old-school black-and-white Mickey...

DSC06133.JPG

The big medaillion in the middle is from a photo album I bought at Disneyland and which promptly fell apart once I started using it. I just carved a circle into the cork and set it in.

Onto the Verne collection...

DSC06131.JPG

DSC06128.JPG

These are all the same pins as before, with the exception of the WDW 3D diorama of the defunct 20,000 Leagues submarine ride (that I never got the chance to go on... *sigh*).

DSC06125.JPG

These are my new additions. My Astro-Oribtor collection has been supplemented with Tinker Bell (so apparently now I just collect Astro-Oribtor pins that are circular), and I've started a collection of the WDW Gold Card series with Disney characters in 20,000 Leagues costumes. From top to bottom: Mickey as Capt. Nemo, Goofy as Prof. Arronax, and Stitch as Ned Land.

At this point, I'm still looking for Donald as Conseil ([pinpics]69020[/pinpics]) and Chip & Dale as Crewmembers ([pinpics]69012[/pinpics]). I'm also keen to get the 110th 20,000 Leagues logo pin ([pinpics]83846[/pinpics]), if anyone can help me out with any of those!

Next up are laynards... Since I haven't been able to find any lanyards that I like without a starter set of pins that I don't, I'm going be getting some made. Thankfully my girlfriend is inclined towards sewing, and we've already picked up some blue cotton ribbon stuff (I am not inclined towards sewing) and brass rings. When they're done, I'll have a lanyard for each set to alternate between for our next trip to Disneyland.

Time for another update! And this time it's a little momentous as I am very nearly done... As in, done-done. I'm only looking for one more pin, Chip & Dale as Crewmembers (Pinpics Pin# 69012), and I literally only have space for one more pin after that before my Jules Verne pinboard is full! If anyone can help with that one last pin, that would fantastic. I would be endebted to you!

Anyways, on with the pins...

DSC06792.JPG

DSC06795.JPG

DSC06797.JPG

Wow! What a fantastic collection! I love how you've displayed the pins w/the blue and gold colors. I'll keep an eye our for that last pin you're looking for.

Thanks!

As I think I said before, blue and gold are the colours I most associate with Disneyland because my first trip there was during the 50th anniversary. It seemed like the logcal choice to frame my collection with.

If you could keep your eyes open, that would be fantastic! I probably wouldn't have anything you'd want for a trade, but I'm willing to pay out of pocket for it.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! VICTOLY!!

The last pin - Chip and Dale as Crewmembers - arrived yesterday! And here is the completed set...

DSC06807.JPG

As you can see, there is room for literally just one more pin on there. My girlfriend and I have confirmed a trip to France in May next year, with Disneyland Paris definitely being on the itinerary. We'll see if there is anytyhing worth picking up there (it may also be my first run with wearing the lion's share of these on a lanyard... we'll see). We're also going to Amiens, the town in which Jules Verne last lived and is buried. We're pretty excited!

Okay, I lied... Just one more... That's how it goes right? Just one more and then you're finished? Right?

Anyways, I got that elusive pin of Goofy on the Orbitron, and I literally have no more room on this board. If I want any more, I have to get rid of something else...

DSC06817.JPG

DSC06816.JPG

Your Jules Verne collection is amazing! Great collection of pins and beautifully displayed in that golden frame with blue backing! Though I think your frame can use one more pin:
pin93571

Pin 93571: WDI - WDW Attraction Poster - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
It's a beautiful and large pin that would look great with your collection. The Nautilus is the pin with the backer card being the rest of the poster.

Great collection, thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much!

iElkie, I did see photos of those new pins coming out. My girlfriend and I are going to Paris in May and I plan to keep an eye out. Technically they don't fit with my collection - which I've deliberately tried to limit to pins with Disney characters on them - but like the 110th Legacy 20,000 Leagues logo pin, I don't think I could pass up a Mysteries of the Nautilus pin either. If I do get it (and/or the new Space Mountain: Mission 2) then I'll have to get rid of something else... Probably the Tinker Bell and Stitch Astro-Orbitor ones. The Orbitron/er/or only tags along because of Discoveryland anyways ^_^

YoSoyAhPuch, it is pretty cool and I like that poster in general, but I think I'll steer clear of it. For some reason I'm not a huge fan of poster pins *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back