• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Need Help Fixing a Pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need Help Fixing a Pin?

themastereddo

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hopefully this is the right place to put this.

A few months ago, I was storing some new pins in my pinbook and realized that an old Nightmare Before Christmas pin of mine had somehow broken. The front had popped off of the background of the pin. I'm not sure how to fix it-- I do not plan to trade or sell it, but I don't want to ruin any value it may potentially have by fixing it incorrectly. It isn't worth all that much in the first place, but I just love this pin, and I bought it several years back, so it'd be a shame to have to go and get a new one. Is there a good way other than Elmer's Glue or a temporary fix that I can put this back together? Or should I just start shopping for a duplicate?

10904300.jpg

The "I'm No Prince" part popped right off, and there doesn't seem to be any possible way to reattach it.

Thanks for any help in advance!

I imagine the piece was rivetted to the other larger piece? Haven't seen a pin with 3D elements that was not rivetted. Anyhow, I suppose you could perform surgery yourself or take it to a jewelers and see if they can fix it? Hopefully, someone can chime in with a better suggestion. :)

well if you're never trading nor selling, i have fixed pins who's posts popped off with good ol grazy glue. the new gel kind. i squirt alittle on a piece of paper and using a toothpick i dab tiny glops--it has worked with no residue (must get the gel) i be it would work

well if you're never trading nor selling, i have fixed pins who's posts popped off with good ol grazy glue. the new gel kind. i squirt alittle on a piece of paper and using a toothpick i dab tiny glops--it has worked with no residue (must get the gel) i be it would work

DH does all kinds of pin repairs, and the crazy glue gel is his favorite. He can repair posts of varying lengths, replace missing jewels, repair/replace all kinds of dangles., etc. (If you ever see him at a trading event, like CJDPT, he always has his repair kit with him. :D)

For the broken bubble -- Check Michael's and/or any type of hobby or model shop until you find the right type of replacement piece. Then use the crazy glue gel and toothpick to affix to the pin. (I hope you have the actual "piece" that was under the original bubble?)

For the broken pin on pin - I admit he has had limited luck, and mostly with older pins that were not riveted. I think the suggestion to check with a jeweler is a great idea. But, if the pin is not hard to find, I'm sure it would be cheaper to find a replacement. I can't imagine a jeweler charging less than $10 to fix a rivet, and possibly twice that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back