• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!
New filter in chat?

scottydem

Senior DPF Senior Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm just wondering why this is in place?

Happy 4th!

Last edited:
I mean... It's definitely increased the rate of cursing, as we literally spent the last half hour doing nothing but trying to figure out what is and isn't filtered. Chiefly by uttering horrible phrases we'd have no reason to use otherwise.

-JDG

I don't know guys...

This place is for pins and is a family forum, not some x-rated adult p*rn site. Why shouldn't we be keeping it clean? When is it appropriate to swear about pins?

I concur with Grim. I mean, if people can post whatever words they want, think of the harm it might do.

[video=youtube;Qh2sWSVRrmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo[/video]

I personally believe that pin traders, are unable to do so because some people out there in our forum don’t curse. And I believe that our speech like such as in foul language, and the implications everywhere like such as and I believe they should our text over in the chat, in this forum should help the pin traders or should help us, and should help the pin traders and chatters so we will be able to build up our future for us.

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIcGNxgrVZk

Is this really the type of chat you wunna be involved in?

Screenshot2011-06-01at221401.png

An anonymous poster comes in to pick a fight while I'm not even there, but disturbs other chat members? How child like.

Last edited:
OK GUYS
I am going to get slammed for this,oh well I had trouble before..so this time it will not bother me.
I Pm'd Bryan(Cicada)our wonderful administrater,I had mentioned to him,that there was foul language being said in chat
and it was driving other chatters out of there.So he was going to discuss it with the other 2 Mods,and see what can be done
I mean it was horrible.My son saw it..now hes 20 1/2 but still he says it was bad,and ask me"They trade with that kinda mouth?"EWWW!!
I actually found it really rude,JMHO here!I am glad something was done,this is a pin trading site ,so it needs to stay clean and friendly
thats why we all joined and others lurk then join in.I love chat as you can discuss trades,releases of pins and other things
its especially great for new traders.

Have a great day
Judy

Last edited:
Is this really the type of chat you wunna be involved in?

Screenshot2011-06-01at221401.png

An anonymous poster comes in to pick a fight while I'm not even there, but disturbs other chat members? How child like.

Wow! Grim I'm so sorry this happen. In our short time on the forum you have been welcoming and always there to provide information, entertainment and great activities.

What darkness has descended on the land of Disney Pin trading?

Huh. Never thought it would come to this with the chat room. I think everyone has a right to use whatever words they want, but each of us should be smart enough to know when and when not to use certain words. And sorry to hear about that Grim. You're a good guy.

And yes, a grammar/spell check feature would be pretty spiffy.

Judy - I'm not interested in slamming anyone, but I am going to share my opinion. I think it's surprising and completely ridiculous I can no longer use extremely mild words like *ss or d*mn because somebody's twenty year-old son was offended by something someone else said when I wasn't around.

I'm not going to go all "freedom of speech", or journey to any of those particular wells people frequently go to in these kinds of forum situations. This is a privately-owned forum and the mods can administrate it as they see fit. But really? Restricting *ss and d*mn? That's just silly. ^_^ I mean, come on now. Can someone - anyone at all - really mull that one over and not have a good chuckle?

Were those really the words you had in mind when you voiced your concerns? :lol:

-Jason

Hi Jason
Those were NOT the words they were using..it was more vulger
I see nothing wrong in those...I was just saying he saw,thats all..he says a@@/ D@@@ too
but the others I saw was NOT right..I have never seen you in chat.If you wanna know who I mean
and its NOT you..PM and I will mention a few words they said,I felt it was rude..but I guess thats me

Judy

What this forum really needs is a grammar filter. It could help those people whose posts could use some help.

+1. Amen...

I support the filter. We can all say that we have the right to say whatever we want but that doesn't mean we should. There are some people that have a complete disregard for others and since they can't control their actions, the filter needs to do it for them.

I understand that some words are more offensive than others and that some may not see the big deal with some of them, but to play Devil's Advocate, right back atcha - what's the big deal? Why is it so important that you are able to use the little words? If not using them makes the overall environment more comfortable for all, is it really too much to ask to stop using them or use a substitute like "dang" or "darn"?

Suppose you were in a hot crowded room where a couple of guys said that they hate deodorant and had the right not to wear it. While that may be true, wouldn't you wish they had a little more consideration for those around them? I sure would! :) Silly example, but fun. And the moral of the story: nobody likes the guy that stinks up the room! ;)

I think the filter in a way is a good think just in case a younger member of the forum does go into chat. But some words like damn etc shouldnt be filtered out. And to say if *** is filtered, how many people will just type it as @ss (dont me to say it like that but it was right to the point) as the point being people will find a way around it as when I used to play online games with such filters there were ways around it.

Plus there are some people who use chat who speak in spanish or whatever and you never know what they are saying so that in itself could be way worse than the filtered words since Im guessing spanish equivalent (or some langauge) will not be filtered out so people could still say the same stuff in the main chat IF there are others than understand it.

I understand that some words are more offensive than others and that some may not see the big deal with some of them, but to play Devil's Advocate, right back atcha - what's the big deal? Why is it so important that you are able to use the little words?

The problem is that when you use one of the filtered words, you receive an error message and then randomly may or may not lose whatever you just tried to send. So some percentage of the time, you can't even correct your message: you have to retype it entirely. And if it wasn't a filter you were expecting, you can very well go off and continue typing what you thought your next line would be, not even realizing that your previous sentence was never sent.

Remember, we don't actually know which words are filtered, and we keep discovering them as we continue to converse. I literally had one longer message last night where I had no idea why it was triggering the filter. And that was after I'd spent a good hour playing with the filter to try and tease out its restrictions and learn about how it operated (a process which, as previously noted, made for far more obscenity than I'd ever use otherwise in the chat). I was baffled.

The result is alot of frustration, and some completely mangled conversations. The filter's even applied to PM's that wouldn't be visible to other chatters in the main room, so private 1-on-1 conversations that literally can't affect or offend bystanders are also being censored.

But you're right about "dang" and "darn": last night demonstrated that it's still extremely easy to "swear around" the current filter anyways. Which means the entire system is pointless, and that it accomplishes nothing but inconveniencing the chat participants on a near-random, sometimes-inexplicable basis. o_O Considering the amount of disruptions and divisions this community's had to put up with lately, I don't think this is really what the forum needs right now. Not to mention that part of the appeal of DPF has always been the fact that it's substantially more laid back than other pin forums. Like, I came here as a refugee from Pintalk, specifically for that reason.

Judy - Just so I understand the situation better, did you contact the people who were using offensive language to try and sort stuff out before going to the mods? Did they really refuse to change their behavior? Because if so, that's definitely a problem.

-JD

I think the filter in a way is a good think just in case a younger member of the forum does go into chat. But some words like damn etc shouldnt be filtered out. And to say if *** is filtered, how many people will just type it as @ss (dont me to say it like that but it was right to the point) as the point being people will find a way around it as when I used to play online games with such filters there were ways around it.

I didn't even realize there wasn't a filter applied to the forums themselves. Now I'm even more confused. :lol:

-JD

+1. Amen...

I support the filter. We can all say that we have the right to say whatever we want but that doesn't mean we should. There are some people that have a complete disregard for others and since they can't control their actions, the filter needs to do it for them.

I understand that some words are more offensive than others and that some may not see the big deal with some of them, but to play Devil's Advocate, right back atcha - what's the big deal? Why is it so important that you are able to use the little words? If not using them makes the overall environment more comfortable for all, is it really too much to ask to stop using them or use a substitute like "dang" or "darn"?

Suppose you were in a hot crowded room where a couple of guys said that they hate deodorant and had the right not to wear it. While that may be true, wouldn't you wish they had a little more consideration for those around them? I sure would! :) Silly example, but fun. And the moral of the story: nobody likes the guy that stinks up the room! ;)

agreed completely! And love the example! :rofl:

If you knew who it was,you would understand..I love chatting with everyone
but I still felt it was rude!I know others do not use that,I had no idea..this was going to cause
trouble..next time,I will just sit back and watch I guess

agreed completely! And love the example! :rofl:

A better example would be if you were sitting eating dinner with your friends, and every time you said something, there was a random chance that some dude would just drown out whatever you were trying to say with an airhorn. And you wouldn't know what words he didn't like, or which conjugations would or wouldn't set him off.

***** cat? Airhorn.

Bulls***? No airhorn.

Bollocks? Airhorn.

Dick? No airhorn.

I mean... Reeeeally? o_O

-JD

Back