• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Not honoring an auction ..... I am stunned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not honoring an auction ..... I am stunned
TL: not reposting

I was going to break this down and be snarky, but that would take way too much time and I don't have that much to waste this morning. Instead I will make it simple.

eme5a2y9.jpg

Everybody knows coming in to having an auction, you take the risk of getting less, equal to, or more than what your pin is worth. Stop crying because you didn't get what you wanted. This happens to EVERYBODY at one time or another. Honor your auction and quit being a baby and sulking. Seriously we are all adults, act like it. I bet this thread wouldn't have existed if the person got more than what they wanted. How is that fair?

Sweet Jesus ... somebody pass the popcorn!

There were good points made by both sides of this argument, but I think it just got seriously derailed. I'll try to type quick and beat the lock.

Obviously, the auction ran its course and should be honored. If you only intend on honoring an auction if you get the bids that you like, then you shouldn't post auctions. Pretty plain and simple. You take a risk by posting an auction and to flip the argument, if someone overbid would you as the auctioneer tell them only to send half of their bid?

The issue with the infraction for excessive bumping is warranted if it was for the obvious accidental double post, but it could've been for more than that so it is tough to say. Personally, I understand the one bump per day rule and think it is needed so other threads don't get buried. Without it, everyone would be bumping the hell out of their own posts just to keep up. I will agree that it does seem like a little leeway could be given in the final day or hours of an auction.

The fact that there are cliques and auctions/games getting more action due to the person's reputation, friends, location, etc. is undeniably true. BUT that is life, learn to accept it and work within it. The whole catching flies with honey rather vinegar applies here.

The whole 800 views over replies thing gets overblown often. One, I've seen threads shown a 0 views and 7 replies so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Two, I viewed the auction and said ... "whoa ... great pin. would love to have, but don't have a chance in hell". Three, I know when I run an auction half of the views are probably coming from me obsessing over it.

Getting bent over some people retracting their bid is silly and seems like we're reaching here. From what I can tell, it was one bid retracted and it was buried on the leaderboard. It didn't NEED to be done, but it affected absolutely nothing. It wasn't going to win or get added to, and I'm sure they just wanted closure and the ability to use that pin elsewhere instead of waiting for the auction to close.

I do not agree with the way this auction was ended, but at the same time I can't help wondering the purpose of this particular thread.

This person feels like he does not belong, he feels lonely and unwanted, and he expressed those feelings often. The very likely outcome of this thread will be that it adds to those negative feelings and thoughts, and he will be convinced that his decison to ditch the auction and forum was right.

Nobody really stands to gain anything. It is only loss at both ends :(

This post is because a person was upset at the way somebody ended an auction.

As for the negative feelings, he is getting back what he put in.

This post is because a person was upset at the way somebody ended an auction.

I get that and I totally understand that the OP feeling disappointed. But where is the gain from this post for anyone ?

So far, it is adding just more negativity to the forum imo.

I tend to agree with PP. The OP could have taken it up with the mods in a quieter way. That is only my opinion though.

Last edited:
WOW i did NOT make this thread to insult your friend at all. I am upset as are the other bidders. MY bids were straight from his wants list as that is the only way i bid on an item. Check you will see that. Second i am not part of a clique i live in kentucky and habe only met two people from here in person. I dont post rants or try to hurt other people. However i plst auctions all the time 90% of the time i get great bids there are times i dont get what i thought i would i still honor the auction. If he was unhappy with the bids and number of bids why did he wait until the day AFTER the auction? That was my whole point here i wanted to know what in the world happened. I have traded with and bid on his auctions before and spoken privately in pm with him and really thought we had a decent trading relationship. THE POINT BEING IF HE IS MAD AT THE MODERATORS OKAY TAKE IT UP WITH THEM BUT WHY TAKE IT OUT ON THE PEOPLE WHO BID ON THE AUCTION IN GOOD FAITH? WHAT PURPOSE DOES THAT SERVE? On this site and any other all you have is your word, reputation and yes honor.

Ok guys, I am going to close this thread and let everyone catch their breath.

Nothing to see here please move along and have some ice cream

Good morning,

First a fact or two,
Fact one,
Rules say bumping once a day is only allowed IF there is not any activitiy, look at the thread, lots of activity, look at the last day of posting, definately more posting than once , even discounting his "mistake" which by the way was not sent to the staff to fix, was left in the mix of replies<if you wanted the booboo fixed , just pm one of us, it happens all day and we fix it, thats why we are here.> An infraction is a slap on the wrist not a cause for behavior as we witnessed.
Fact two, I recieved a pm saying he had no intention of honoring auction, hours before it was posted, John knew he was breaking the rules however did not care....he specifically waited till high traffic time on the site to post the ending and commentary.

Fact three, the rules also say it is auction done this way, if you dont like it dont do it, simple,

I apologize to the community for his rebuke , there is no reason to put everyone through this, so we are going to bury this with Mr Toad, and all the others.

Thank you for your patience and your understanding.

Madhatter, there is no way to force him to honor the auction, unfortunately all the staff can say to you in this case is we are sorry that it happened to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back