• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin pecking order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin pecking order?

Cursor

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apart from the cost, are some pins considered better than others?. I don't mean artist proofs or limited editions but hidden mickeys, events, resort, pin on pin, sliders, twisters, hinged etc.

Apart from the cost, are some pins considered better than others?. I don't mean artist proofs or limited editions but hidden mickeys, events, resort, pin on pin, sliders, twisters, hinged etc.

Pretty much just the fact of it being available. Some may be harder to get than others.

Certain one you are looking for?

Vicki

I'm looking for a guide to say what pins can be traded for another, not one pin in particular, without insulting or wasting other traders time.

I'm looking for a guide to say what pins can be traded for another, not one pin in particular, without insulting or wasting other traders time.

Nothing really like that. Pin Pics is a good Guide, but again it is a guide and is subjective to everyone. :-(

Sorry.

Vicki

I thought this was going to be about something else.

Such as which person is considered as ruler of the pin trading roost etc...

Something I'd like to hear views about.

Martin :)

I thought this was going to be about something else.

Such as which person is considered as ruler of the pin trading roost etc...

Something I'd like to hear views about.

Martin :)

Well Duh, Martin! You are!!! lolol

We should just call you the Big Kahuna!!!!

Vicki, the lowly servant!

It kind of depends on the person and the pin in question, but I see what you are getting at. To me, this is the very general pecking order:

DA Pins
Special Event Pins (this would include things like PTN or the recent Alice event)
Disneystore.com pins (at least up until this year)
Annual WDW Event Pins (ex. Florida Project, MOP, PTU, etc.)
Park Pins
Booster Packs
Hidden Mickeys

But again, it really depends. Like the piece of movie history pins. I'm obsessed with them but they are park pins. On the other hand, there are people that only collect park pins, so those would be more important to them.

In the end though, it all comes back to the value. You aren't going to be able to trade and ugly DA pin that sells for $5 for a nice park pin that sells for $20 no matter what the pecking order is.

Yep, that's what I was going to say, it's really down to the perception of the trader. For me, I tend to value DS.com pins higher than most other pins (I don't collect DA as a rule as they're difficult to trade for and not worth it to me). DLRP PTN and event pins are high up on my list too, but not as high as certain DS.com pins. I'm not usually bothered by park pins, but I lvoe the POMH pins and they seem difficult to trade for.

It's not an easy question really!

That's the kind of answer I was looking for erudolf. It might save a lot of heartache in the future. I had high hopes of a successful trade recently, my pin was on their wants list but it didn't work out, just trying to figure out why.

A pin's 'value' (or perceived value) is all subjective. One of the great things about collecting is that we all collect the way we want and, accordingly, value our pins differently. As such, one of the problems that emerges in pin trading is the attitude that 'my pins are made of gold (if not platinum) and the other traders' pins are made of tin,' which can make finding an agreement in a pin trade difficult-to-impossible sometimes. The carefully-defined hierarchy that erudolf explained only works for erudolf (unless you happen to agree with it); if you don't value pins the same way or don't collect the same things (which is fine), that hierarchy won't work for you and it won't help you set up trades.

The most important thing to remember, pin hierarchy or no pin hierarchy, is at the end of the day, a pin only is worth what another person is willing to give up, be it in pins or money, to acquire it.

A pin's 'value' (or perceived value) is all subjective. One of the great things about collecting is that we all collect the way we want and, accordingly, value our pins differently. As such, one of the problems that emerges in pin trading is the attitude that 'my pins are made of gold (if not platinum) and the other traders' pins are made of tin,' which can make finding an agreement in a pin trade difficult-to-impossible sometimes. The carefully-defined hierarchy that erudolf explained only works for erudolf (unless you happen to agree with it); if you don't value pins the same way or don't collect the same things (which is fine), that hierarchy won't work for you and it won't help you set up trades.

The most important thing to remember, pin hierarchy or no pin hierarchy, is at the end of the day, a pin only is worth what another person is willing to give up, be it in pins or money, to acquire it.

Nicely said!

Vicki

Agreed, all those factors affect the trade. I'm curious to know how pin collectors set their own preferences. I wish there was a kind of 'poll' way for members to indicate which class of pins are more desirable than others - generally.

I've calmed down a bit now after this discussion - thanks.

once again elegantly put dancecats.

Agreed, all those factors affect the trade. I'm curious to know how pin collectors set their own preferences. I wish there was a kind of 'poll' way for members to indicate which class of pins are more desirable than others - generally.

I've calmed down a bit now after this discussion - thanks.

You could start a poll with options to select for which pins are most desired. Again, I will repeat that is is subjective, but use the options erudolf provided and then you can see from a majority standpoint.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for erudolf. It might save a lot of heartache in the future. I had high hopes of a successful trade recently, my pin was on their wants list but it didn't work out, just trying to figure out why.

There could be any number of reasons. You've also got to remember that just because someone has something on their wants list that doesn't mean they want it all that bad. For example, this is on my wants list but in reality there are very few pins on my trades list that I'd actually be willing to trade for it because I know I can just get it off ebay for 5 bucks but just haven't gotten around to it.

Instead of distribution channel categories which are preset, it would be nice if Pinpics had a feature where you could rate pins based on your personal preferences and then someone could go in and say, "oh, I have a pin from your level 5 wants and you have a pin for trade that I'd like which is in the same level, trade?". That could help people with the whole guessing game of what people want.

There could be any number of reasons. You've also got to remember that just because someone has something on their wants list that doesn't mean they want it all that bad. For example, this is on my wants list but in reality there are very few pins on my trades list that I'd actually be willing to trade for it because I know I can just get it off ebay for 5 bucks but just haven't gotten around to it.

Instead of distribution channel categories which are preset, it would be nice if Pinpics had a feature where you could rate pins based on your personal preferences and then someone could go in and say, "oh, I have a pin from your level 5 wants and you have a pin for trade that I'd like which is in the same level, trade?". That could help people with the whole guessing game of what people want.

ooh, i WISH they had this kind of feature! would there be a way to recommend it to them?

This. Like, I would PAY for this service. ;_;

I agree with Eurdolf. I have pages of wants and most of those pins I can wait to get. We collect so many themes and it depends in what mood we are in that determines a trade. We might be aggressively seeking Animal Kingdom Mystery (just completed that series) and are not interested in an Ariel, Donald, Dumbo, ....(thanks Paula for adding more themes to collect-for those who need a score card of what we collect, send self address e-mail to:....). If the person is on DPF, just ask them. I have had people ask me hat I would like for certain pins.

It kind of depends on the person and the pin in question, but I see what you are getting at. To me, this is the very general pecking order:

DA Pins
Special Event Pins (this would include things like PTN or the recent Alice event)
Disneystore.com pins (at least up until this year)
Annual WDW Event Pins (ex. Florida Project, MOP, PTU, etc.)
Park Pins
Booster Packs
Hidden Mickeys

But again, it really depends. Like the piece of movie history pins. I'm obsessed with them but they are park pins. On the other hand, there are people that only collect park pins, so those would be more important to them.

In the end though, it all comes back to the value. You aren't going to be able to trade and ugly DA pin that sells for $5 for a nice park pin that sells for $20 no matter what the pecking order is.

Erudolf, you really, truly are my brain twin.

...you should be terrified.

Cursor, another important thing to remember is to not get upset when someone turns you down. We ALL get turned down more often than not. It's okay. You will find another trader that will be willing to make a great trade with you. Just be patient. It will pay off. :)

Erudolf, you really, truly are my brain twin.

...you should be terrified.

MUHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!! :)

Pinky_and_the_Brain_46478b5996bc6.jpg

Having a "star" system based on 10 stars would only put $ value to the pins. It would be a good guage but many would lie and put a pin they want to trade at 10 stars and a pin they want at 0 stars so to drive the the ones they want a more value for what they actually have to trade?

DA's let's sat Gomes a 10 and HM a 0? A group of people could put that pin at 0 and their pin at 10. We know the values but having it on a hard copy would get many members saying " but your pin is only 7 stars and mine is 7 stars so why can't we trade? The current way is not perfect but let's not get to the level of sports cards where price is set and the fun of trading and meeting people gets list. Just like comics and sports cards. They get graded locked in a plastic case and put away forever. I know everyone loves to hold their pins and have to physically touch them. I would hate to sa, I have a PSA 10 mickey what do you have to trade for it.

Hey you forgot to list DSF on the list of pecks? Just below DS.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back