• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pixar 24-Feature Film Challenge!!! Thanks For Playing ~ Now In Theatres: Lightyear!!!

Pixar 24-Feature Film Challenge!!! Thanks For Playing ~ Now In Theatres: Lightyear!!!
Don’t worry, take as much as you need off. If later you still want to try and participate, we’ll be here when you get back…
Thank you - I really wanted to join but I can't find the time to watch a movie in one go :(

Just a reminder that Toy Story 2 analysises are due Monday by 24:00 DLR time. I know that a few members are busy this month but I’m hopeful that a few are still wanting to take part…
Now Playing: Toy Story 2(1999); Luxo Jr.(1986) ~ 8/24-8/30

L0LtSqD.jpg
kFANegV.jpg

Please remember that you may post your analysis during the one week window starting 00:00 Tuesday through to 24:00 Monday DLR Time, and any responses/comments for that film by the "wrap-up" day(the following Wednesday); This will help keep the conversation moving.

Film Schedule

8/9-8/16: Toy Story(1995)
8/17-8/23: A Bug's Life(1998); Geri's Game(1997)

8/24-8/30: Toy Story 2(1999); Luxo Jr.(1986)
8/31-9/6: Monster's Inc(2001); For the Birds(2000)
9/7-9/13: Finding Nemo(2003); Knick Knack (1989)
9/14-9/21: The Incredibles(2004); Boundin'(2003)
Future Schedule TBA.

Toy Story 2

2. Choose one specific character to analyze.

Jessie – She is such an easy character to like. Her enthusiasm and honesty are contagious. She’s genuine in her emotions, whether she’s happily reminding Woody of who he is, or being terrified about going back into storage. Unlike Stinky Pete (who apparently no longer likes children because he was ignored), Jessie truly wants to reconnect with a child. That is apparent in her recounting of her first girl Emily. She obviously loved her, but the pain of losing her was so great that she tried to wall herself off. She felt betrayed and had convinced herself that a lifetime behind glass was an acceptable end. As a character, Jessie has all the parts that make her believable…and these make her real.

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze.

Stinky Pete’s Mining Pick – This item seems non-threatening at first, merely a prop to round out the character. That quickly changes once Pete feels threatened by Woody’s intentions to bail out and take the others with him: then we see the pickaxe as it is used to secure the bolts on the air vent cover. The threat of this weapon gets more dire as Stinky Pete uses it to actually damage Woody – popping the seam on his arm. The pickaxe has gone from a mining tool to a menacing weapon.

6. Choose a single line of dialogue that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why.

“I’m sorry honey, but you know toys don’t last forever.” – Andy’s Mom

The entire film explores exactly what Andy’s Mom tells him. Wheezy is damaged, and headed for the yard sale. Woody is damaged and shelved, where he dreams that he is going to be thrown in the garbage with other broken toys. Woody’s introduction to Jessie, Bullseye, and Stinky Pete shows him what he used to be, and the toy doctor showed him that there is potential for “life” after children. His decision to stay with the Round-Up Gang is driven by self-preservation. Woody does come to his senses in the end when he admits that he can’t stop Andy from growing up, but that he wouldn’t miss it for the world.

7. What is the film’s overall goal? Is it to teach a specific lesson (what is it) or get an emotional response (such as)? Or both? And how well or how poorly does the film succeed in that goal?

I believe that Toy Story’s overall goal is friendship. It divides the audience in the beginning. Children will respond with the emotion of losing their beloved toys. Adults remain stoic with the understanding that things break, get outgrown, or are simply no longer wanted. You get both the emotion, and the life lesson with resounding validity.

The first response – aimed at children is the friendship and love the toys show for each other. Andy’s toys are willing to take great risks to save each other. They work together, and watch each other’s backs.

The second response – aimed at adults – is a bit more on the morality side. It is aimed at taking children’s toys, assigning a price to them, and coveting them as collectibles. Are we getting rid of them because they have fulfilled their purpose, or because they are worth something?

Nothing in this world is worth anything unless there is someone willing to pay the price for it. Children do not know greed. They have to be taught the value of money. What they do know, unconditionally, is friendship. Ask any child and they will tell you, that they have friends in the real world, imaginary friends, and toy friends. They are lucky enough, to be young enough, to not have to worry about the difference.

In the end, though, Toy Story 2 is all about friendships – between kids and their toys. It really follows where the imagination can go. Because who knows…maybe toys do come to life when we aren’t looking…and maybe adults need to never forget that.

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why?

Disney Hugs pin with Jessie hugging Bullseye! Toy Story 2 is all about friendship and what better way to tell your friend you love them than to hug them!

Pin 134798 Hugs - Mystery - Toy Story Jessie

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!
As number 2 in our list of Toy Story movies, It was interesting to watch it so close to the original. There are subtle differences such the 3D rendering but it very much is a continuation of the current Pixar film verse. I felt a bit of sequel-itis in that plot seems an inverse plot to TS1; Woody is the one that needs rescued with Buzz pointing out many times how Woody was there for them and that it is their turn to save him.

I can't help but notice how many extra IP's(Mattel) they added to the mix or pop-culture(STAR WARS!!!) references they made. Woody's Round-up seemed based on the Howdy Doody show from that era, as well as cancelled around the same time; in a strange way the marionettes from that show are also in display in museums such as the Smithsonian. I feel that little things like the era of toys in Andy's Room(SNES, 80's Zenith Style TV, 80's/90's era board-games, 90's era Barbie, 80's/90's vehicles, etc) may age the movie setting a bit but it could be done in any time. Though the closing of Al's Toy Barn is a bit reminiscent of the closure of ToysRUs. I rate it an 8/10

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.
If you think of it, Bullseye isn't so much a "needed" character to round out the mismatch family that's already Andy's Toys/family: Slinky Dog is Woody's trusty sidekick and you can already consider Buster the live steed/early comedic relief archetype. Bullseye instead complete's the image of the trusty horse and cowboy image for Woody's arc. Much of his Bullseye's design/mannerisms could be considered a progression in that he seems based off of Disney's Pecosbill's own horse Widowmaker; though in a wierd if ironic way he does seem to act more as an anthropomorphic dog would...

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.” (brb weeping).
"You Can't Rush Art!!!"
I think this is one of the best one-liners from Geri, who premiered in the previous Pixar short: Geri's Game. Much like real life, bad or even catastrophic things can happen when you try to rush things along. On a stray thought, there is a similar premise of a show on Netflix called The Repair Shop that is phenomenal at stuff like this.
KVzB3FF.jpg

3./9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!
The memory of Jessie's original owner is very melancholic montage of how she was played with/outgrown/given away. Much like how we look at past montages in film, this is done in brownish/pastel tones compared to the present day with the Hauntingly beautiful song played by Sarah McGlauchlin playing in the background to distinguish it as a memory.
5Ag8fju.jpg

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!
I think there are many pins with each individual/group pins that I chose a duo that got introduced in this, Woody and Bullseye. Whilst Woody already had a sidekick in Slinky Dog or Buster, I don't think anyone could replace a cowboys trusty steed.

Pin 127262 Disney Visa Rewards 2018 - Pixar Edition - Woody and Bullseye

9Sh2FlR.png

Last edited:
Stray Thoughts
*nods to the Star Wars series were clearly evident throughout and this was before Lucasfilms was bought by Disney. In a weird twist, Tim Allen also did a Star Trek spoof the same year with the film Galaxy Quest.
*I knew going into watching the film that one of the credit bloopers(Stinkey Pete's Casting Call) was removed in response to the Me-Too movement. I don't condone the behavior and agree the part was a bit much for a family friendly film; It did speak of a possible sequel and evidently Barbie did play more of a starring role. My one criticism for it's removal was that the background credit music was noticeably silenced midway thorough the bloopers to "Fix" the timing...
*Tour Guide Barbie's lines mimic that of a Disney Park Cast Member, including to speaking the same line in Spanish for staying in ride-vehicles. I feel her final scene is Disney-Pixar's tongue-cheek apology to all Disney Cast Members, to which John Lasseter was also a previous Park CM(Jungle Cruise). On that weird note, I believe he was instrumental in getting the Jungle Cruise movie off the ground and was referred to as a Jungle Cruise Alum in Disney CP casting videos up until he was dismissed by the company. Makes you wonder if that tidbit would have made the Disney+ Behind the Attractions show if he was still with Disney...

Last edited:
And Toy Story 2 Discussions are over. Now we move on to of my favorite films: Monsters Inc...

Now Playing: Monster's Inc(2001); For the Birds(2000) ~ 8/31- 9/6

sU73BTJ.jpg
fAAjiMO.jpg

Please remember that you may post your analysis during the one week window starting 00:00 Tuesday through to 24:00 Monday DLR Time, and any responses/comments for that film by the "wrap-up" day(the following Wednesday); This will help keep the conversation moving.

Film Schedule

Future Schedule TBA.

Monsters Inc.

Roz
– This is the best character, despite so little screen time. Roz appears to be your typical paper-pusher who has been pushed to the brink of heartlessness. The first meeting with her we find the cynical, monotone-voiced, by-the-book, terrorizer of the company. She wants her paperwork, and she wants it now, and you better get on it. We all know the type. We know she is anything but that. At first, she just seems to be perfectly-timed comic relief, and thorn in Mike’s proverbial butt. It’s great cover for her role as Number One within the CDA Organization. Of course we don’t find this out until the end of the movie, but then we also find out that the cynic in her actually has a soft spot. She let’s Sully and Mike have a chance to say goodbye to Boo.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze – tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response?

The scene where the Scarers first enter the Scare Floor
– This scene draws you right in with tried-and-true Hollywood style and sound.

First, it’s shot in slow motion, presenting a sense of importance; an awareness that

finds you looking closer, trying to take in everything, because this appears to be really important. Second, the music is very grand sounding, enhancing the perception that they are heroic. Third, the Scarers themselves march in with determined purpose. They’re not looking around. They’re not allowing any distractions to deter them. They are seriously focused, and even their partners are more than mildly awed at their entrance. They all are aware that the way of life in Monstropolis could be in danger if they don’t or can’t do their jobs. And as they line up before their respective stations and turn to face their doors as one, you know they understand the gravity of their positions, and they take their work very seriously.

Closet Doors
– This one item in the film wins the unofficial award for “ultimate children’s nightmare” – hands down. Without the portals created by every child’s closet door, there would be no safe way into the human world for the monsters. Nearly any very young child will tell you that their biggest fears at night are the monsters lurking in their closets and under their beds. But if you ask them how the monsters got under their beds, they will tell you through the open closet door. To a child (and any adult with an overactive imagination) an open door is a portal straight into all levels of Hell.

6. Choose a single line of dialogue that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why.

“And the fact that laughter is 10 times more powerful than scream.” – Sully

This line was said very near the end of the movie. It is significant because it exemplifies what Sully had come to realize during his time with Boo. He had suspected the power behind laughter when he and Mike were first trying to figure out how to deal with their little human invader. When she started laughing in the apartment, and causing the power to flare, Sully’s reaction was “What was that?” said in a tone of wonderous disbelief. That got the wheels turning, so to speak, and he paid attention to what he was experiencing. Later when they were running from Randall, they were actively using Boo’s laughter to power the doors that aided in their escape.

On a more human level, this line of dialogue resonates because people want to believe in the power of laughter – especially over a terrified scream. It is better to laugh and be happy, than to be afraid.

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why?

Boo showing Sully the pic she drew of him and her holding hands. It is the beginning of a turning point for him realizing she was much more than the means to a commodity for the company. His attitude changed, and he took on a more protective role. It was the beginning of a friendship.

Boo’s closet door (Loungefly: No PinPics ID number), without a doubt! Her closet door was at the heart of every action and intended action in this film. Whether it was Randal getting her door for his and Waternoose’s nefarious purposes, or Sully and Mike trying to get her back to her own world; Boo’s closet door was the key. Just happens to be all the better that inside her door is Sully and Mike!

Just a reminder that Monster’s Inc. Analyses are due by 24:00(DLR Time) tonight. I hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day…

Last edited:
And we're on to the next Movie in the series: Finding Nemo, paired with another classic film Short Knick Knack. Just a reminder if you would still like to discuss Monster's Inc, we have until Wednesday, I would've actually put in my own analysis but crashed yesterday after returning home from the fair...

Now Playing: Finding Nemo(2003); Knick Knack (1989) ~ 9/7- 9/13

yMkQQyD.jpg
RZ5sQ61.jpg

Film Schedule

Future Schedule TBA.

Just a friendly reminder that Finding Nemo Analyses are due by 24:00(DLR Time) tommorow night. In other ironic Pixar news, I found out my daughter wants a Luca themed birthday, at least I have a Machiavelli plush I was planning for Xmas…

Finding Nemo

Bruce
– The “reformed” great white shark…He is trying so hard to be the good guy. He really wants to be, but he just cannot quite pull it off. He is intimidating. He’s a great white shark – a known eating machine. That’s more than intimidating, that’s terrifying. And he’s hanging out with other sharks in a minefield! It doesn’t help his case that he refers to Marlin and Dory as “bites” and “morsels.” Of course, for adult viewers they will get the references to classic horror films such as Jaws and The Shining. These references push Bruce’s boundaries for being “good” back even further. Then there is his relapse when Dory gets bopped in the snout and starts bleeding. That’s game over – and with that we see the great white shark as we know it. But in the very end and after some intervention from the other sharks, Bruce appears to be sticking with his program, and the motto – “Fish are friends, not food.”

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze – tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response?

Barracuda Attack
– “Losing the dream” is what this scene is all about. In the moments leading up to the attack Marlin and Coral are on the verge of everything that is good in life – partnership, home, family, and the hope that is supposed to come with a good future. The scene is serene yet colorful, full of the activity and vibrancy that is the hallmark of a thriving coral reef.

That is gone in the fraction of a second when the barracuda attacks. The action is a series of quick cutscenes that denote chaos. The bright colors are now gone, replaced with the blues and greys that we usually associate with sadness, despair, depression, and loss of hope. Sound within the sequence is sharp, loud, nearly discordant to the ear. The effects produce fear and apprehension of what is to come.

Nemo’s “Lucky” Fin
– Yes technically it is attached to a character…the main character – but by itself, it is an item of great import. Nemo’s disabled fin is the crux of the film. Upon it are heaped of all his father’s fears. It represents Marlin’s inability to protect Nemo. The tiny scar on his fin is the same shape as the crack that was in his egg after the barracuda attack – a stark reminder. Throughout the movie, references are made to the fin’s weaknesses and shortcomings. It is an excuse for a father’s overprotection and for a child’s doubt; a harbinger of all that can go wrong and all that did. But in the end, the fin became a symbol for a young fish who took a reckless chance to go into the world and find out who he is. Without that damaged fin he would never have done that.

“No Dad! Just because you’re scared of the ocean – ” – Nemo

This just screams defiance. Nemo pulls the ace card with this line as he declares his father’s fears to the world. Nemo wants to do things. He wants to be a normal kid. We are under the impression that Marlin simply is not willing to give him these chances. And Nemo finally losing his patience with his father sums it up beautifully. His anger with his dad and wanting to assert himself get him started on his adventure.

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why?

Mr. Ray and his class swimming out to sea at the drop-off at the end.

The movie started with the drop-off being a place for new beginnings for Marlin. Then the drop-off became a source of resentment and fear within him. But in the end, after all obstacles had been hurdled, the drop-off simply became another part of the world in which we all live.

Nemo and Marlin
– when it comes right down to it, the story is about the bond between a father and son.

Pin 23074 WDW - Father's Day 2003 (Finding Nemo)

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!
I believe this is the turning point for Pixar in how they deal with more emotional subject matter. This film is unlike it’s predecessors in that it’s set in more natural setting akin to Bambi, even invoking that film’s heart wrenching scene within the first five minutes of the film. The change of composers is also a noticeable but welcome plus. I don’t see how it would’ve felt having a soundtrack skin to Toy Story like the other previous films were…Watching this as a parent definitely changes the perspective of the film but it’s still one of Pixar’s finest films to date. 9/10

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!
7heRYck.jpg

This scene in the film plays out like a reverse “Jaws” effect. You in essence see the creeping up of the monster right before the protagonist reaches safety and snatches him away to the horror of the classmates/Marlin and audience. I feel this particular scene would’ve been awesome seeing it on the big screen if only to experience the Kaiju effect in it’s entirety…

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific!
This movie has many homages to the classic Disney films such as Bambi and Pinocchio. I do get a chuckle when Marlin tries to play himself off as Dory’s conscious…

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!

This scene is heavily contrasted with how the film started, bright assorted colorful reef versus the nighttime. Even Marlin is made out in monochromatic greys to distinguish the feeling of loss. Nemo’s bright orange egg shining in contrast with the muted great surroundings gives us a sense a hope that not all is lost from this tragedy.
Yv7P0Br.jpg

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!

I like this pop-up diorama series from the Disney store that showcased a few of the famous scenes. This one invokes the poster with Bruce, hammer, and chum behind a clearly frightened Dory/Marlin…

XJY4Ic0.jpg

Random Thoughts.
WDW just recently decided to close down the Finnding Nemo musical at Animal kingdom, most likely due to the loss of entertainment CM’s and the time it would take to rehire/retrain them for this show…

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder that analyses for the Incredibles will be due this upcoming Monday (24:00 DLR time).

Now Playing: The Incredibles(2004); Boundin'(2003) ~ 9/14-9/21

TivY0oj.jpg
39Kis3W.jpg

Film Schedule

Future Schedule TBA.

I found an interesting book today, it’s a history of Pixar in Pop-up form. Along with a small history behind the company, it shows an iconic scene from each movie from the beginning ending with 2017’s Coco. It even has a pull tab for all the theatrical shorts…
IQfRdVy.jpg

The Incredibles

Violet
– Shy, reclusive, eldest child, only daughter, full of teenage angst, and with a crush on the popular boy in school that she is too afraid to talk to…What else could the viewer possibly want from a teenage girl?! She is all the cookies in the Oreo pack of a typical teen – dark and broody on the outside and soft and squishy on the inside. Everyone can relate to her one way or the other. If you didn’t know a girl like that in school, then you were that girl in school.

Her powers are pretty slick. She commands one that every single teenage girl on the planet probably wanted at one time or another…to turn invisible. She can do that at will, and create powerful forcefields to boot! Interesting to see that the invisibility was used to hide at school and the force field was used to fight with her brother at home. Although she was trying to abide by her mother’s wishes of not using her powers, once the fighting started, she was not reluctant to do so – against anyone, or anything. The situations she was put into developed her from that withdrawn girl to a confident teen with a better view of the world, and a better outlook for herself.

Bowling Night (AKA Listening to the Police Scanner
) – Bob (Mr. Incredible) just can’t let the past go. He so desperately wants to get out and relive the glory days; and he has dragged Lucius (Frozone) into the matrix with him. You want to see them get the chance to do good, and yet you can get a little perturbed that they both are lying to their families. Despite the bad connotations of that, the viewer is drawn into their reasoning and when things turn bad, you’re rooting for them to pull out the win. They are heroes, yet hidden underdogs, but still heroes no matter what – and to put it simply…people love that stuff.

Superhero Black Mask
– The concept of the good guy was originally rooted in color; specifically black and white. Then in 1936 the first superhero appeared wearing purple and black. It was The Phantom and he was wearing a black mask just over his eyes. The heroes that followed wore either nothing, or a full hooded cowl combination. For the public, that kind of deviation from “good vs bad” color scheme really played with their psyche. It was just an unwritten rule that the good guys wore any color other than black. (We are not forgetting Batman here – but he has no actual superpower ability. His crime-fighting skills are purely based on the tech he can create to augment his physical training.)

Then western movies appeared on the scene. Good guys were out in the open, letting everyone know they were there to help them. Bad guys wore bandanas to hide their faces when committing crimes…sometimes. That is, until 1949 when the first live action hero appeared wearing a black mask to hide his identity – The Lone Ranger. Now we really had to look hard at the attire of the perceived hero. A good guy…wearing a black mask…but, but…good guys don’t hide their identity, and they wear white, not black…and yet, (as Edna Mode says) here we are. Thus, the small black masks the Incredible family wears show that color doesn’t make you good or bad, just makes you stylish.

“Fly home, Buddy. I work alone.” – Mr. Incredible

The proverbial nail in the coffin…This is the final line that defines the psyche of Buddy as the bad guy in the film - Syndrome. He is casually rejected by the very thing he worships – Mr. Incredible. When you lose faith in your gods, you either become them or annihilate them. Emotionally destroyed, he intends to make not only him, but all other superheroes pay for that abandonment. He was a child, and children are taught to follow and respect their heroes. Only in this case, the hero didn’t realize the damage until it was too late. And this seemingly minor faux pas has crucial collateral damage to the hero himself. Syndrome callously destroys an airplane carrying Helen, Violet, and Dash. Believing they are dead nearly destroys Mr. Incredible. Buddy’s justification, stick-it-to-him line is “I believe you prefer…to work alone.”

The family “superhero pose” on the island. It’s so predictable, so campy, so perfect for the film.

This one was hard to choose. There were so many pins that were individual characters, and very few with the entire family. (Jack-Jack was missing from most of them.) The film may have started like any typical superhero movie, but it quickly became apparent that the heart of the story was really family. Helen spent a good part of the film trying to get that through Bob’s thick skull. If you have kids, don’t ever blink…you do and you’ll miss all the good parts of their growing up. And for these guys, “family outing” just took on a whole new meaning.

PTDB 32550 – Cast Exclusive The Incredibles 15th Anniversary

If I were to describe the Incredibles, I would describe it as a James Bond + Johnny Quest with a dash of Marvel/DC comic books(does it help that one of the old guys describing the good ole days of Superheroes at the end looks vaguely like Stan Lee?). When you have a kid glued to Bluey, and he is mesmerized by this, then you have to believe it is a good movie. For me one of the stand outs along tends to be the Score by Michael Giacchino; we actually had bits used for marching band. This is the third different composer for the Pixar-verse so far and definitely speaks for the action tone that the they're trying to convey. The film is far more action packed then it's predecessor and definitely was more of a stand out in broadening the masses. As a family man myself, I think I can relate a little with Mr. Parr(dead end job, slightly atypical household), while some of the banter and side characters(Edna Mode, and Where's my Super-suit) make me smile every time. I think I've grown to like this movie more then I have before so far this is my top movie thus far, I rate it a 10/10...

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.
Traditional villains in superhero/James Bond media usually are portrayed as megalomaniacs with no regard to their targets or the population at large. In this regard, you can consider Syndrome a true comic-book villain to achieve as his goal of eradicating super(heroes)s. Ever insistent on surpassing his former heroes, he has achieved the money(government funding?), trophy wife(?), and self defined glory with the making of a weapons corp. to even the playing field between normal and supers. While he is ever methodical, it isn't without repercussions as he clearly hasn't learned from previous mistakes. While his villain name seems to tie with a disease, it's Greek origins means "to run together" signifying his origin as a fan sidekick.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!
When you think all is finally over, the final scene with Syndrome taking Jack Jack is the clearly setting up the final climax of the movie; If you don't include the short featuring Jack Jack being babysat, this is our only introduction to him as a super. Taking that this is a comic-superhero homage, they gave him an adjustable ability similar to Xmen's Darwin: a touch of Fantastic Four's Johnny Storm(flames), Xmen's Colossus(Metal enhancing), and even an homage to a comic called the Demon Within(gremlin). Syndrome is at last overpowered and gets his just desserts(remember, no capes...)
bP8SKLl.jpg

In other ways the ending reminded me a bit of "Honey I blew up the Kid"; when Helen tells Bob to through her up to Jack Jack to save him is very remenicent of the the HISTK mom in that film tells the dad to make her a giant to soothe her crying son...

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific!
In terms of superhero connections, this seems to be the start of the group shots that other superhero team movies play off of(Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc). While not a progression in this regard, I do recall from the previous film series that the expand-a-putty concept actually gets reused as an asset for one of Honey-Lemon's chemist abilities in Big Hero 6...

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help.

I agree, this is the most iconic shot of this film: The family group-shot...
g5QQhCo.jpg

They have other pins with this shot, but this is the one that came to mind as well as the best representive....

Pin 107499 DSSH - Beloved Tales -The Incredibles (Surprise Release)

Tm6Zgd9m.jpg

Last edited:
And Incredible Analyses are now closed, just remember that if you would like to discuss Incredibles we have until Wrap it Wednesday to discuss...

And here we start the first film of the what many call the most divisive film series of Pixar: Cars. I look forward to hearing the different reactions to this series.

Now Playing: Cars(2006); One Man Band(2005) ~ 9/22-9/27

HnWAqIr.jpg
o836JS9.jpg

Film Schedule

9/22-9/27: Cars(2006); One Man Band(2005)
Future Schedule TBA.

Currently sitting here with blinders on as I had my eye’s dialated today; safe to say that I can’t devote time to type much. As it the week of WDW’s 50th anniversary, I think it’s perfectly okay to give a little goodwill to extend the deadline of Cars till next week on 10/4….

As another bonus gesture, if anyone would like to do an analysis/discussion for any of the previous movies/shorts thus far, I will also give full credit if done by 10/1 (24:00 WDW time)…

Got held over at work last night.

Cars

Doc Hudson
– What better actor to voice Doc than Paul Newman? No better. Not only was Newman an actor, but a racecar driver as well. He knew the lingo, the culture, the mindset of the industry. It allowed him to give such believable realism to the character.

The introduction of Doc Hudson to the viewer is not as a doctor, per se, but rather as a stiff-lipped, hard-nosed judge. His diatribe as he enters the court room certainly gives that impression. Then he sees the accused is a racecar, (Lightning McQueen) and he wants to just drop charges and throw him out. And not in a good way. That’s the first red flag.

Doc’s disdain for Lightning becomes more and more apparent as the two interact. Then he challenges Lightning to a race – much to the misgivings of the townsfolk. The old codger knows exactly what he’s doing. He seems to know how the young hotrod will react, both off and on the track. That’s the second red flag.

To the townsfolk “Ol’ Doc” is just a mild-mannered, slow-drivin’ old car living in a dead backwater town on Route 66. Lightning then discovers Doc was a racecar; and not just any racecar, but a famous, 3-time Piston cup winning racecar once known as the Hudson Hornet. That’s the third red flag.

But there was still more. The viewer knows that something must have happened to really turn this character into the cynic he is. Hard on the heels of Lightning’s discovery that Doc was a racer, comes the harsh reality that is racing – get injured and you’re out. The industry didn’t care about him unless he was racing and winning. Doc felt that he’d been abandoned and in turn wanted nothing to do with any parts of racing anymore. You just knew he had to be hiding something, and there it is. With Doc’s secret revealed, everything about him falls into place.

4. Choose one song to analyze.

Our Town by James Taylor

Long ago, but not so very long ago
The world was different, oh yes it was
You settled down and you built a town and made it live
And you watched it grow, it was your town

This first verse gives you that old-time, small-town feeling. Sally explains this to Lightning as they drive through the nearby mountains. Every place had to start somewhere at some time. There is so much potential just waiting to be put to use. Radiator Springs was a bustling roadside stopping point on what she called “The Mother Road.”

Time goes by, time brings changes, you change too
Nothing comes that you can't handle, so on you go
You never see it coming when the world caves in on you
On your town, there's nothing you can do

The second verse gives you the obvious observation that everything changes, even if we don’t want it to. But it also gives warning that sometimes we just don’t see it coming. Initially when the highway was put through, the residents of Radiator Springs thought it would bring even more people to their town. Unfortunately, the opposite happened, resulting in the town’s economy crashing.

Main street isn't main street anymore
Lights don't shine as brightly as they shone before
Tell the truth, lights don't shine at all
In our town

Fate and time caught up with the town in the third verse. Things are going into that slow motion fall from grace. It’s a downward slide that the residents just don’t know how to stop.

Sun comes up each morning, just like it's always done
Get up, go to work, start the day
You open up for business that's never gonna come
As the world rolls by a million miles away

This is a direct accusation – if you will – to the highway that was put through, by-passing old Route 66. Without people coming through, the town became depression-era like as it was lost and forgotten to the outside world.

Main street isn't main street anymore
No one seems to need us like they did before
It's hard to find a reason left to stay
But it's our town, love it anyway
Come what may, it's our town

The final verse has accepted that things aren’t like they once were, they aren’t going back, and the inevitable is coming – the probability of the town’s demise. But in it there is a tiny glimmer of hope in the love and loyalty the residents feel for their town. They are much like the Earp brothers at the OK Corral. Odds are against them, and their chances look pretty dim, but they aren’t giving in – not just yet.

This song is a real turning point for Lightning. He is finally seeing the world through someone else’s eyes and memories. He had been seeing other small clues as to the meanings that the town and “the mother road” held for the residents of Radiator Springs. But until this point in the movie, he just didn’t really get it.

Lightning’s attraction to Sally helped push his transformation. He wanted to understand why she was there, and what drove her to stay. With her narration, he went from a hotrod, snotty, narcissistic racecar to a more understanding character. Lightning realized he really craved friendship…and he was finding that in Radiator Springs.

The town of Radiator Springs
– The entire town is a symbol of a by-gone era. There was a time when going for a drive was the most amazing thing to do. Americans are known for their love of the road and their cars. You could see the sights, check out the local towns, and make a whole vacation on just the “road trip” idea. To this day, the All-American Road Trip is still really a thing for true travel buffs.

Seeing the town, and driving through it, is like sitting down with a cup of hot tea, and listening to the great stories your grandparents would tell you. You would hear about things, and visualize things that belonged to a much different world…and yet the lessons those stories carry have relevance today.

“You look. All I see is a bunch of empty cups.” – Doc Hudson aka The Hudson Hornet

Oh, this one is a doozy.

Lightning is so entranced with the enchanted life he leads, that he believes winning the Piston Cup is the ultimate beat-all-end-all goal that everyone simply understands and believes in. Doc’s disgruntled, nearly hostile attitude about the racing world is understandable, given the circumstances he experienced. And he pulls no punches in telling that to Lightning.

Youth, enthusiasm, and success has definitely painted a different picture of the racing profession for Lightning. Doc’s disdain for it gives the young racecar pause, but not at first. Lightning doesn’t truly see the relevance of those words until the rematch. Seeing The King’s crash on the jumbotron hits him hard. He knows racing history’s outcomes for one other crashed car, and he refuses to see that stain on his friends, and colleagues. That is when everything comes together and it the viewer knows that the hero has learned all he needs.

Everything boiled down to between the “Kachow” shot of Lightning in the air or this one. Ultimately, I chose this one because we have what he is really about – racing. The characters of Chick and The King give us the 2 things on the track that Lightning actually pays attention to – a nemesis, and someone he respects.

It was hard not to pick every pin that featured Red…I love fire engines, what can I say. Red, however, doesn’t really represent the film.

When all is said and done, finding out who you really are, and what you believe in makes the movie. Lightning and Mater are those things. Mater knows who he is and what he believes in, and he shows Lightning the way with his “best friend” declaration. Lightning realizes that it is the value of friendship that really gives us the strength to believe in ourselves, and with that he comes to realize that he is more than just a racecar.

Pin# 109084
2015 Best Friends - Lightening McQueen & Tow Mater

And here we go to the next movie, going to go ahead and move the due date to Tuesday(24:00 DLRtime) due to the holiday weekend.

Now Playing: Ratatouille(2007); Lifted(2006) ~ 10/5-10/12
DHlXwys.jpg
GuFnAnF.jpg

Film Schedule

9/22-10/4: Cars(2006); One Man Band(2005)

10/5-10/12: Ratatouille(2007); Lifted(2006)
Future Schedule TBA.

Ratatouille

Anton Ego
– This character did not have a lot of screen time, but what time he was on mattered – every single second of it. Our introduction finds us facing a stereotypical narcissistic, very austere food critic. He is tall, gangly, angular in appearance, and wears all black; much like a black widow spider. At best he is unreasonably intimidating as he looks over the top of his glasses in a most condescending way.

His presentation to us lets us know right away he believes he is entitled and delights in the almost evil, and definitely heartless way he treats the restaurants he critiques. He thrives on the fear his reputation creates. Facing him is like face that wicked stern parent that a child can NEVER satisfy. Nothing you do will ever be good enough, and the verbal beatdown will never wear off. He even takes a shot at the respected Italian chef Ettore Boiardi – AKA Chef Boyardee. It makes Anton Ego very easy to dislike.

And yet…there is redemption for this man. The meal and his strong emotional reaction to the first bite shows the viewer that he is human after all. Most importantly, he simply drops his pen to the floor. (The pen is mightier than the sword.) The symbolism here is akin to a swordsman laying down his arms and surrendering. The tiny insight we get of Ego as a hurt child, with a caring mother hits the viewer in the soft spot. Visually we see a change in him – he slouches a bit, gives a tiny smile, and then thoroughly enjoys the meal and happily wants to meet the chef.

The most surprising thing is that Ego was so overwhelmed with the truth behind his meal that he risked everything he was to give Gusteau’s the review it deserved. It cost him dearly. He took the loss of his job and reputation in stride though, moving on to better things. When all was said and done, one finds that the person Ego was at the beginning of the movie is not his true character.

Remy’s accidental first tour through Gusteau’s kitchen
– Remy’s fall into the bustling kitchen at Gusteau’s is a trip to insanity. Anyone who has ever worked a busy kitchen knows it is chaos – not barely-controlled chaos – just chaos, plain and simple. He knows he shouldn’t be there, (as much as he wants to be) and the turmoil that ensues as he tries desperately to escape detection make your head spin.

The great thing about this sequence of events is the telling of it from Remy’s level – his perspective, his literal point of view. Everything is huge to a rat. The obstacles to overcome were more than difficult, and in some cases (like being under the gas oven) dangerous. The fast flow from cutscene to cutscene keeps you from seeing to much in detail, and yet shows you every single thing about that kitchen. It’s bedlam! The fast pace of the scenes, and the dramatic music and sound effects help push the need for urgency, and the fear of possible discovery. The fact that Remy got out – not only alive – but with all his parts intact is really only because it’s a Disney movie. Restaurant kitchens are pandemonium and that will never change.

Ratatouille
(the food) – The simplest things in life are often the best. The French dish known as ratatouille is a comfort food. It’s a coarse vegetable stew. Colette called it “a peasant’s dish” but Remy’s decision to serve this meal evoked strong emotional responses from both of the antagonists in the movie – Anton Ego, and Chef Skinner. The reaction to the meal is immediate and involuntary. Core memories in us all are linked to the senses. The taste of the ratatouille brought forth memories of his mother: a representation of comfort and safety for Anton Ego. We don’t get as much insight from Skinner, but we do get the same initial involuntary emotional reaction.

“Because I’m a cook!” – Remy

What else is the movie about?! Remy FINALLY is being truthful with himself, and with his father. A cook is what he wanted to be, and through his partnership with Linguini he was a cook. If he loses that symbiotic relationship then he will be back to being just a rat. He won’t let that happen. Cooking is his dream and now that he has tasted it, (pardon the pun) he won’t let that go. This one line from him brings everything to the fore. It puts Remy at peace with himself and he can go be who he wants to be and not feel guilty about it.

The moment of discovery! To me this is the iconic shot of the movie because here we have our two main characters; both out of their element, trying to do something they shouldn’t. But this scene is also representative of the wonderful absurdity that follows.

This pin is the sign of the new restaurant at the very end of the movie. It didn’t get much notice but it speaks volumes as a new beginning for Linguini, Colette, Remy, Anton Ego, and all the rats.

Back