• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Saving DPF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saving DPF

Of course continue responses at your own pace, @Cicada , but just wanted to express appreciation for the clarifications and responses already. It’s awesome that you are able to take the time out to check on this great site and - on a personal note - still my number one stop for Disney news.

The amount of people coming together who enjoy this site speaks volumes of the hard work that has already been invested and put in freely by you and your staff team. And hopefully the growth of the mod team gives the needed help to the amazing ones already a part of it <3

Looking forward to how everything works out, and wishing DPF all the best in getting the help it needs!

There have been offers to purchase the site, but I'm not personally interested in selling it. My interest is (was[?] by the tone of things around here) more in developing the forum as the place it's always sought to be from the beginning, and I think that profiting can — and often does — get in the way of community development in the interest of economic incentive. However, I do realize that economic interest paves the way for action and innovation. It's a double-edged sword.

Again in the interest of full disclosure, the forum does not cost a ton to operate, but apart from a sizeable donation drive in 2017 to "upgrade" to "DPF 2.0" in which we raised (if i recall) a little over $2,000 for upgrades and maintenance/running costs, the forum simply does not make any money. I did mis-speak when I said we generate no revenue, because there is an affiliate thing running in the background, but even then, it really is not much (it seems I get paid out anywhere between $15-30 every ~2 months or so). Some back of the napkin math (as far as I can figure from a cursory search of paypal and email receipts) for what's happened with the donations since the latest forum upgrade in April:

I do truly appreciate the remaining admins/smods/mods' work in keeping the forum at least functioning on a base level -- without them, DPF would have been no more a long time ago. If that was the perception, it certainly isn't the intention. I'd like to keep this going as long as possible, and make it incrementally better over time through adding things the community wants; It does suck to see the forum dwindle (as it tries to compete with other, more active, outlets of interaction that exist now) I just haven't had the time, energy, or interest lately to commit to doing the work that needs to be done on the site to ensure its growth, so most of this falls entirely on my (lack of) effort in that arena.

I'm not sure if there's some system we can work out that raises the most urgent concerns to the top of either the help desk or private forum, so that I can address them as I can -- maybe there's something we can come up with, or a reddit/knowledgebase-style upvote/downvote thing that would track issues that need addressing. (there's probably an add-on for that)

But I think that absenteeism is affecting the quality of life here on DPF.
I completely agree and acknowledge this. Prior to (and following) the hack, I've been largely absent except for when something goes wrong. Providing no guidance for the remaining team has also taken its toll. I really don't want to be the person that says something isn't or shouldn't be done, and so I left it entirely up to them. I hadn't heard many complaints, so I assumed everything was fine. But being so disconnected has turned out to be a liability as evidenced in this thread.

Great suggestions; I especially like the structuring of this, and the "separation of duties" -- While going forward, I still expect to be mostly absent except for technical issues, I do realize we need more [key word] "active" members participating in running the site as moderators/correspondents. Maybe a separate thread for everyone to discuss this is necessary, along with any nominations (applications?) that have come in since this thread was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.