• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Scrapper Gold Frame Cats?

Scrapper Gold Frame Cats?

pins4twin

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I just traded for the WDI Lucifer Gold Frame pin. I traded some really nice pins to get it, but now I am concerned that it may be fake. Are there any key signs or indications that help identify the fake pins?

5b3298570bf7259f74a710e4da667ee7.jpg

Here are some pictures
dff5e9ce41b5e3f258f4286335c57cb4.jpg

890380742dd93e4eb871e4f9f6e39428.jpg

faf6e11134b374caccd6d07b68f5392e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Yzma looks fake (because it is) but there were dips and scratches all in the clear enamel. The biggest tell would be if you could shine a light on the back of the backer card and see if the FAC# is printed on there, because fake cards don't have it printed and a non-matching card would be another indicator.

It's also not a good indicator if the plastic baggie doesn't have the barcode on it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have a real Cheshire and a real Aristocat kittens. What would you need to see to help you
know if it is real?

I would like to know if your real pins had price tags on them. Also, is what Chusaurus said true? Should the FAC number be printed on the back of the backer card. Thanks.

Here's what it looks like (black on black, yay!). At the very least, every card should have the matching FAC# on the back. I know the Destination D stuff from 3 years ago didn't have the barcode, because they were presold in packs, but that's the only exception I know of to that rule.
a6d54818af509e3fac56d4ed7a3985b4.jpg

Well, my card has an FAC number, but it is not the same as the number on the pin. It kind of looks like the number on the back of your card FAC 046730…..

Well, my card has an FAC number, but it is not the same as the number on the pin. It kind of looks like the number on the back of your card FAC 046730…..
The FAC# is stamped on last, so it's hard to copy it exactly. Some traders keep their backer cards and pair them with pins they don't have backer cards to (I.e. possibly fake pins, possibly not). The number has to be exactly the same to be a match for the pin/pin set. It's a fair thing to ask your trader about, since they said they had the backer card for it and that's not the backer card.

I would like to know if your real pins had price tags on them. Also, is what Chusaurus said true? Should the FAC number be printed on the back of the backer card. Thanks.
Yes my pin does have a price tag and it also has the FAC number printed on the back of the card. I am adding photos but my
phone doesn't take the best pictures so they may be blurry.

enhance

Even though it is blurry, you can see the price tag and the FAC #.

The person I traded with bought a large collection of pins, recently posted on Facebook. There were all kinds of gold frame cats, Marquees and other high quality Pins. I think he paid a lot. I would hate to think he got scammed.

My Yzma looks fake (because it is) but there were dips and scratches all in the clear enamel. The biggest tell would be if you could shine a light on the back of the backer card and see if the FAC# is printed on there, because fake cards don't have it printed and a non-matching card would be another indicator.

It's also not a good indicator if the plastic baggie doesn't have the barcode on it.

Thanks for another great tip on spotting WDI fakes!

Btw for those FAC numbers, I noticed that sometimes pins from the same series have the same numbers? Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw for those FAC numbers, I noticed that sometimes pins from the same series have the same numbers? Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're correct. I think it's for factory batches, so if they made the pins in the same batch, they all have the same FAC#

I have the Cheshire from this set. Below are pics. What I note:
1) Your Figaro back seems identical to the Cheshire back (Sorcerer Hat Pattern)
2) My pin has the correct plastic wrap with price tag SKU number (per Pinpics data.)
3) The Cheshire pin FAC stamped into the WDI card matches the FAC # stamped into the back of the pin.

I traded for this pin at a PTE in Anahiem in 2017, a few months after the D23 event when this pin was released. Scrappers were already on the auction site for the cats in frames, so I suppose all these checks could be wrong, but I based on the info in this thread and my gut feeling (when I traded in 2017 and the trader confirmed they attended D23 and bought the pin themselves from the source), I believe I have a real deal pin.

75cdb6a8f1132b43374e38e429ff6a66.jpg
280a2faac91c5faeadd5733600b2bc8f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Your wrapper (without a price tag) is probably not the original wrapper since both @momin.ator and I have price tags on ours. Does not necessarily mean the actual pin is a fake. People remove backer cards all the time and then try to match them back up (without success.)

The card back with cellophane wrapper:
efd1b5d4f99539935ced860b5a51ceb6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and the pictures. I think my pin looks really nice, a clear back and a front free of dips and flaws. But, the fact that the FAC’s don’t match and there is no price tag gives me some doubts. I just feel real sorry for my friend. He spent a lot of money on a collection, and it had many of these cat pins, without price tags. I thought that maybe they were like the Mickey Profiles, in packages, but no price tags.

Back