• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

The Next WDW PTN is a Paid Event Feb. 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Next WDW PTN is a Paid Event Feb. 27th
^ I don't think what they've done in the past (free, announced-in-advance events with a previously announced PTN pin or pins for sale and occasionally boards to trade on) is going to be an indicator of what they're doing now. It all feels like last-ditch efforts to try to keep their hands in the pin trading world before they opt to let trading go entirely. Which I still expect to happen in another year or so, though I know no one thinks I'm right about this. :p

Last edited:
On the phone with events, they have officially said there is no merchandise to commemorate the night. I still don't know how I feel about that, but I will be having a conversation with the merchandising representative that I got the name of. I can understand them wanting to limit the amount of chaos, however I was hoping to see the new PTN designs for this year.

Oh, well that leaves less time to stand in line, more time to trade, and less disappointment when I get there tomorrow I suppose.

It all feels like last-ditch efforts to try to keep their hands in the pin trading world before they opt to let trading go entirely. Which I still expect to happen in another year or so, though I know no one thinks I'm right about this. :p

Nah, I think you're right about it. I think they'd be throwing money away to do so, but for whatever reason, they've decided that's the route they want to go. They might hold onto the September event for 5 years or so, but I suspect that will go away eventually, too.

They'll always sell pins as souvenirs or whatever, but as far as encouraging trading goes, they're pulling out. I know they're thinking they're saving money and man hours, which they are, in a way. But when you have a collectible craze that's doing well, the last thing you do is pull back. Frenzy and activity that encourages the hobby helps drive sales, and when you starve collectors, they settle down and either move on to another hobby, or get out of it all together.

As a trader, I own twice the number of pins that I would as a collector. Pinpics has already killed most of my online trading (and lack of ds.com pins and the power vacuum that is California killed the rest). If Disney kills my in-person trading, I won't have a reason to buy doubles anymore for trading. Multiple that by all of us, and that's a lot of missed sales for Disney. And their profit margin on pins has to be INSANE.

So personally, I think Disney would be making a mistake. They already scaled back,so they could just keep doing half-day events like this quarterly and the September event, and that would be enough to keep the traders buying extras to trade with. The added admission fee should help with concerns of them spending too many resources on us...

But Disney has been known to give up on things way too easily before, so we'll see which path they take with us.

Was there any preview yesterday at the event?

Pin preview, yes, BUT they said "no photos." Of course, on FB, there are photos galore. Let me see if I can copy & paste them here.

11024698_793287304058370_429632061376549534_n.jpg

They look awful. :facepalm:
Its pins like these that make me glad that I am not at all a completest in regards to my AiW, Frozen, and Tangled collections.
:wiggle:

Nothing at all like this http://pinpics.com/search.php?keywp=DisneyShopping.com+-+Fortune+Cookie+Mystery+Set+&pinsort=Relevance amazing set, but then I prefer all hard-enamel pins and am extremely picky about mixed media.

I have to agree, and I loved the ds.com Fortune Cookie mystery set. It's just...the same pin over and over. And it's a replica of a fortune cookie...the Disney characters are like after thoughts. Bad design, really- disappointing.

I went to this event last night and here was my take away....it was almost like a test if you will, to see what the level of interest is still in pin trading. I talked with one of the managers and asked about the future of PTN and about a special release. She told me there were no plans on any PTN special pins for this year, but if the PTN events were as strong as the one last night, expect PTN pins in 2016! She told me pins and pin trading at Disney is not going away at all. She did admit that the PTN was thrown together at the very last minute because the team is so small. It does look like vinylmations are all but done though! They are all but gone through out downtown Disney and the parks. I didn't see any trading stations at all in Epcot yesterday. So much for the idea that vinyls would replace pin trading. Seems like the magic bands are being pushed as the next "collectible"!

^ I agree on following the rules, however, I also understand that people are frustrated that Disney no longer releases comprehensive information about pin releases. It's a lose-lose I think. If they don't promote pins, people will not sustain their interest in them. See vinylmations for our future. Yes, some folks will try to keep up the hobby without Disney's support, but it won't last long, people will dump what they have and the market/values will crash. *Which is why pins are not and never have been a financial investment.* Just sayin'.

We're there any previewed pins that aren't marvel and star wars?

Only the Marvel Board, Star Wars display and the Fortune Cookies board were at Friday Night's PTN. Especially with the West Coast Port strike effects still being felt, Disney would be unable to announce the release of pins until they are "in hand" for distribution.

ALL the Vinylmation Trading Stations were gone as of Feb. 5th. Vinylmations were for sale in the DTD Pin Traders store and the D-Store on the Westside in DTD is FULL of Vinylmations to buy. No "slowdown" there.

MagicBands ARE being "pushed" by Disney as a merchandise item. Afterall, why give tickets for free when you can convince people to spend at least $12.95 for a wristband?? NOT to mention the "Bandits" and "Limited release/edition sound ones for MORE MONEY!! However, they can only be considered a "side item" for collecting, never a replacement for pins.

Last edited:
My first impression of the fortune cookie pin picture is "meh". I will need to see for myself in person.

Last edited:
Wasn't it only a few years ago that Disneyland had monthly releases of Hidden Mickey pins? I kind of remember it happening one year when I had APs that every month I'd go running around to see if I could find the new hidden mickey pins :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back