• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Time Zones: A Tale of a Trade Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time Zones: A Tale of a Trade Failure

echan50

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Yesterday morning I woke up and check my mail and I got a PinPics trade request from France for the PP# 100625 DLP - Pin Trading Night with the Brave Cub for my Monsters University marquee. I responded to the request saying I accept and did not hear back for the person until this morning. He indicated to me he had alreday traded away his pin because I responded to late. I sent the reply back a little after 7am which is about 3pm in France.

I can't believe it, I lost out on a great trade because of the time zone.. The PinPics automated requests get sent around 3am PST but how much sooner could have I responded. I guess this is part of the mass messages that are sent out when you use the Trade Assistant and its whoever will get to a response sooner.

Does anyone handle similiar situations differently? I was thinking about only sending out one trade request at a time now to prevent this to me on the other side of the table. I would hate to accept one offer and then tell the others I already traded the pin out.

Thank you for letting me vent.:sad:

I sort of wish PinPics requests get sent when you actually select them, like on the new site. I've missed out on a lot of trades too bceause of timezones.

But I always wait a couple of days, because I know of timezones. I would wait maybe two days so everyone had a chance to replying and then I would agree on the trade that either came first (if it's the same trade) or the trade I like best.

Just missed out on a trade with the West coast this morning. It sucks, but it's the nature of blanket request system in my opinion. Same as trading with someone at an event only to meet someone later who may have offered something "better".

If you use the trade assistant feature on New Pinpics, I believe those get sent immediately (or maybe a short delay). It's different than the batch emails that get sent out once overnight now. But those requests will only come to your Inbox on New Pinpics, not in email. And people have to use the new system, which has its own set of issues.

I have not gotten a trade request with the new Pin Pics but I do not know if it has to do with me using the free membership versus the paid membership.

Hmm, I think it is a little unfair of them not to have waited for a response at least a couple of days before accepting another trade. If I used the Pinpics trade request, I would probably only send out one at a time to avoid this problem (as it is, I use DPP mainly now so don't send out requests).

At least you were good enough to reply and they replied back. Both of the trade offers I've made recently, my first real attempts at making such offers, through matches found on DPP, I've not received a reply. One was by email, one was via a PM on here. It makes me a little downhearted, to be honest, I'd rather at least get a 'no thanks' than silence. Not sure if that is much comfort to you but I guess what I'm trying to say (apart from just venting!) is that it's worth something that they did reply and let you know, rather than just going quiet and never telling you anything.

I hope you find that pin soon anyway. Perhaps an even better trade will come along :).

I have not gotten a trade request with the new Pin Pics but I do not know if it has to do with me using the free membership versus the paid membership.

Free or pay has nothing to do with. Most people just aren't using the new site because of the volume of technical issues that continue to plague it. But if people want their requests to reach a person faster, the option is available to use the new site. Then they just have to hope people are checking it.

Nah, I know that not many people use it because it almost never works. I had to click on the "send" button for about 100x for it to finally send. The new site is broken imo, many traders just keep to the old site as long as it's still online.

But yeah, many traders just go by "first comes, first served". It sucks, but nothing to be done. I always like to think they miss out on better trades that way, by jumping on the first offer they get. I always wait because I know US is behind in time, and generally I do get my favourite pin from US traders.

Ive missed out on pins lots of times because someone on the east coast (or maybe a different country) replied first. it sucks. I feel like most people reply in the morning, so I dont wait before accepting a trade. rarely do I get two people who replied for the same pin and offering to trade the same pin.

I get this a lot too, I live in Europe and the different time zones really suck sometimes :(
Also there is a game pinpics hosts on their FB page to win a pin of the day, but I can never play because it's in the middle of the night my time :/

I get this a lot too, I live in Europe and the different time zones really suck sometimes :(
Also there is a game pinpics hosts on their FB page to win a pin of the day, but I can never play because it's in the middle of the night my time :/
Argh omg, I hate missing out on pin games due to timezones! D:

Argh omg, I hate missing out on pin games due to timezones! D:

I am not in the same time zone either (they do east coast time) so when they play it, I am either in the car driving home (and not checking FB obviously) or stuck in traffic.

I've had this happen many times. :( I especially hate it because I like to think things over before I agree to a trade but this makes me more likely to make impulsive trades that I later regret.

I've had this happen many times. :( I especially hate it because I like to think things over before I agree to a trade but this makes me more likely to make impulsive trades that I later regret.

Yes, yes! This is so true! In addition, I need a little time to confirm I have the pin still in my trade book because sometimes we don't always get a chance to update our lists.

This is exactly how I miss out on trades! :( But same as you, when I do accept immediately, I usually end up regretting it.

Ehan50 I have used the new trade site and it takes it seems forever for anyone to respond if they respond have not used the old one liked that one better

Ehan50 I have used the new trade site and it takes it seems forever for anyone to respond if they respond have not used the old one liked that one better

LOL, that's cuz you have to log in to see trade requests then you don't know if your response went thru cuz the page goes blank :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back