• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Trading LE pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading LE pins

breagirl

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I wanted to run this by you guys to see your thoughts. Here's how I personally trade, but I'm quickly realizing that no one else trades like me and I guess I'm wondering why?

If someone offers me a pin I really want (and it's a limited edition), I truly could care less if they are offering me a LE 500 for my LE 300. To me, it's not so important that they are getting a lower limited edition pin as long as I am getting a pin I really want.

My grail is a LE 50. I've been working on it for a while so I finally just emailed the people on pinpics that have it for trade and two of them emailed me back saying they would only take a LE 50 pin in trade. I emailed them back basically telling them that I would offer up to 20 pins on my traders list (including lots of limited edition 100, 250, 300) but no response. Now, I understand they should be allowed to do whatever they want, but gosh, it just seems like sometimes you would at least consider a trade because it might end up in your favor even though the LE pins might not add up LE50=LE50.

So I guess my question is...when you trade, are you solely focused on making sure edition sizes match up or is it more about what you need for your collection? Anxious to hear everyone's replies.

It depends for me. If I'm trading for a pin thats going in my permanent collection I'm not at all rigid on it. But if I'm trading a trader for a trader then I'm a little pickier. However most people I trade with tend to be fair on it and pre-empt it by saying "oh you have a le300 how about I give you this LE600 and this other open edition pin?". However if that didn't happen I wouldn't really mind provided there isn't too big a gap. IE don't offer me a LE3000 for a LE200 heh. On the whole though I try to be as flexible as possible. My collections limited theme wise and is about to become more limited, so if I wasn't flexible towards people I'd never get to trade and chat to such nice folks.

Oh I will say though my one exceptions PTN pins. They are so tricky to get a hold of that I keep those to trade for the few PTN pins I do want for my collection.

Mostly, I don't care, if the pin is something I really want. But with those super low LE I probably would attempt to get a Low LE pin from my wants list first, because it may be the only opportunity to get a low LE. But I don't think I'd say no to a 20 to 1 pin trade, especially if a lot of those 20 pins were on my wants list.

Yeah, it just depends on what your objective is. Typically I trade to value but I don't usually want to trade away my low LE pins for multiples unless they are ones I really want because then it would be harder for me to get what I want. Sounds like to me the person that has the LE 50 pin doesn't care about it but wants to hold onto the the "rarity value" so they will trade it out for an equally rare pin of a different character which might help them get what they want. If that made any sense...

I'm the same as rhysd2. If it is for my collection, I'll probably be more flexibile. But if it is for traders or only some of the pins are for my collection, I'll be more picky. I mean, I've traded away 4 LE 100's for 1 LE 100 for my collection before but it would have to be one fantastic pin for me to do that for a trader.

Last edited:
There are a few things I look at when I trade, either for keeps and or for traders, as long as they are similar in LE size, ie 300 to 500, 750 to 1000, 100 to 135, eh it's all in the same range. But I also do look at the age of the pin and where it came from. Since I am a newer trader, I don't have, and want, a lot of Disney Auction pins, but I still can't get around to paying $40 for an LE 1,000. So, if there is an older Disney Auctions pin, let's say LE 1,000, I am usually more than happy to trade for a new DS.com LE250.

I haven't made many trades at all, mainly because i'm working on building up my traders. I'm very glad you brought this up, because i'm at a loss when trying to value my pins for trades. For the most part I agree with what you've said your method was. If it's a pin I really want, i'm willing to trade almost anything regardless of LE size. Maybe this is because when I buy traders, I buy them for that reason only. I don't really have any incentive to keep them for anything other than trading.

Most of my grails are harder to find pins, in which case i've been happy purchasing for them. I hope that won't always be the case, but for the moment i've accepted it for what it is. Plus i'm rather looking forward to the giant pin meet in NJ coming up in a few months...so excited! :) I think it'll be a great opportunity to meet people and learn more about how others trade.

Brea,

Show us the pin that is you HG and let us see if we can help!

If you think about it, I would say that they chances of them trading that pin for another LE50 pin are slim simply because there aren't THAT many LE50s out there!

Ok, show us the pin!!!

we traded before Brea, and like we did before, i really want to make somebody as happy as i will be by trading the pins, i have trade a LE 300 cast member only brand new for two 2002 lion kings pins i didn't had. i personally see it as whatever makes you happy, i have a few LE 250 and 300 and even my maleficent Le 25 that if i didn't see as my lucky charm i would by all means trade away for a beautiful LE 300 lion king that i didn't had, to me is more about how u see a pin and how other people see it. if i know the pin is worth a lot because it is very wanted i would trade it for something good, however i would never say, here this is a LE 100 so i need a LE 100 back, as long as i like the pin and i am helping somebody else i would trade it. but i don't like when people over value their pins. if you like it, you should check how LE it is and what u giving for it, think about it, and if it makes you happy go for it, that is my personal though. maybe that is why pin karma have been so good with me. well everybody is different but something i think we should all be the same at, is having fun and just enjoying the happiness that pin trading is given to us. not making it a nasty competition. :)

I trade really weird!! lolol Like Piece of history pins, I like to trade for Piece of history pins, and LE I will sometimes trade for a pin I really want, if it is hard to get.

Almost all pins start out close to the same cost, but it depends on the value you put on it.

For those trading only LE 50 and LE 100 for other LE 50 and LE 100's, it may be because they are wanting a particular pin that is also in that range.

Some people put a higher value on certain pins, than others. It is not bad per say, but their value range just may be different than yours.

I agree with Spiffie, show us your HG and maybe we could all pull together and help!!!!

Vicki

THANKS so much for everyone's insight. Honestly, it does make sense to hang on to those LOW limited editions simply because it is great bargaining power to get something you really want. What is killing me is that the one guy told me he has 2 of the pin I want....2 of them! But you know what, it's HIS pins and I need to get over it..I just want it so freaking bad! (I keep telling myself, "Brea, honey, it's a shiny piece of metal-get over it!" but it's really not working)

I have three low limited edition grails. I've pretty much given up on the last one. If I could get ONE of them, I would be thrilled:
Pin 74676: WDI Princess and the Frog show Boat
Pin 76770: DisneyStore.com - The Princess and the Frog Mystery Set - Dr. Facilier Only This is the one I was referencing in my post above-last one I need to complete set
Pin 76347: DisneyStore.com - D23 Membership Exclusive - In the Company of Legends Mystery Set - Prince Naveen as a Frog Only

Simbanino-yes, trading with you is exactly how I always trade (whether in person or online) I LOVE helping people find what they really want and if it means I get a lesser pin to help someone out, who cares! The excitement I get in helping someone makes it all worth it. I guess I just don't look at this like a business transaction, but I also need to realize that it's not my place to judge someone that does.

I think what I really need is a LE dose of patience! :)

yeah, they are hard, but i think there is a friend of my that have Pin 74676: WDI Princess and the Frog show Boat, he lives in orlando, he doesn't sell pins just like me, (we just have that rule) but i might be able to try everything to trade it away from him, no promises, i will also give him or show him your traders to see if he is interested on anything( he doesn't do online trading, but if he likes something maybe u can send it to me i can give it to him and then i send u the pin right away, but again, he have to agree first) and if he trade it then i will let you know. it wouldn't make me happier to see you happy of having it. this is a perfect example of pin value, this pin you want is not very special to me( no offense, just trying to pass a point across) because i don't collect princess and frog, but to you it is very important, in my opinion you will be extremely happy to have this pin and if i can help you with it i by all means will. :)
i promise i will try my best. :)

Simbanino-yes, trading with you is exactly how I always trade (whether in person or online) I LOVE helping people find what they really want and if it means I get a lesser pin to help someone out, who cares! The excitement I get in helping someone makes it all worth it. I guess I just don't look at this like a business transaction, but I also need to realize that it's not my place to judge someone that does.

I think what I really need is a LE dose of patience! :)

I think that's what i'm anticipating the most - building up my collection and being able to help others out. I am so excited to get pins that people actually want and help them out - or zaps, that's another thing i'm anxious to start sending out! :)

Some people run funny, so getting equitable trades may not be that easy. It seems plenty of us would gladly give up a lower LE for a pin we really want. It's up to us to set realistic boundaries that sometimes are crossed by those that make those '20-to-1' ratios and unrealistic reasons behind their trades (see 'Do you include vacation costs to trade values' topic). Good luck with your search, and hope that pin karma comes to you soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back