• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What "Grinds Your Gears" about pin trading/buying/collecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What "Grinds Your Gears" about pin trading/buying/collecting?

Geoff

Almost >< A DPF Charter Member
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
I love collecting pins. So does my wife. We all know its sort of... addicting... and we do it because we love it. However, in my year of trading, I have learned about fakes and scrappers, unscrupulous traders, and eBay sellers out to con honest collectors out of hard earned money, and frankly it grinds my gears (to borrow a Family Guy quote) when I come across some of these things.

If you have ever read any of my posts, mainly in the Pin Comparison section, you can quickly see what I mean. So, my question is this: What grinds your gears about our shared hobby? I will start with a few of mine:

1. Fakes
2. Scrappers
3. eBay fraud
4. Fakes (yeah I said it twice)
5. Traders that take advantage of others

So what bugs you and why?

Last edited:
the thing that bugs me is that not enough cast members know about scrappers and fakes. I bugs me when children end up with crappy pin at the end of their Disney trip.

Lanyard strippers, those who take all the newest pins off multiple lanyards early morning and leave a bunch af damaged crappy pins.
sharks who train guppys to get all the new hm off the childrens lanyards.
guppys who take advantage of traders love of making children happy. and the sharks who send them over to do so.

What bugs me is that cast members always put the new hidden mickey pins on the kid lanyards, so I can never get them when they first come out! :rant:

What bugs me is that cast members always put the new hidden mickey pins on the kid lanyards, so I can never get them when they first come out! :rant:

ditto! Especially when I try to get there first thing in the morning on a weekend day (instead of sleeping in after a long week at work!)

People who quote Family Guy when they're suppose to be on a Disney forum...

...obviously kidding (that only makes the hobby better!).

Have to get back on you with the answer, though...lunch calls.

I would say people who take advantage of other traders. Especially the newbies since they don't know enough about pricing, rarity, rack pin or non rack pin. I got my friend into trading and I trained her right. I have gotten a couple scrappers and then real ones and I showed her the comparison of the two of them just so that she can get a good idea of what to look for when I'm not around.

Another thing that bothers me is I have pointed out to cast members when I believe that a pin is fake or if it is a blatant fake and they just don't seem to care that it is a fake and won't take if off when I tell them that it isn't fair for a honest pin traders and also the newbie traders since they won't know the difference.

Last edited:
What "grinds my gears" about CM trading/trading in general is the attitude that people on this forum have taken to characterizing people into certain groups. When it comes to newbies, it's sappily "unfortunate" if they got a bad pin. When it's a more experienced trader who has a suspect pin, they're automatically a shark. A forum member here gave me a suspect pin, they're the spawn of the earth and I'm going to blacklist him until no-one trades with him/her. Gawd forbid a "trained" CM(who probably don't have any more training then a newbie pin trader) has a counterfeit/scrapper pin, they should be all-knowing and I'll never trade at Disney ever again.

Kudos, or better not, if you've ever had any thought any of these while being member here. We should be educated about bad pins, but never think that you are better then anyone because of it to the point of being an elitist.

those who have they snobby attitude you know "my pins are better than your pins" and letting you know it.like your obviously already aware of this when they have nothing but low les as their traders.

Some people might disagree with me, but now that Disney owns DS.com again, it really ticks me off that DS.com doesn't offer any of the popular LE park pins for those of us who don't live close to a park. I wish they would do something like the UK store where so many are available online and so many are available in the stores/parks. I mean, really. Out of a 2000 pin edition, you can't spare 100 to sell online?

Now I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here on the forum because you people rock something wonderful, but what grinds my gears is the way that some people feel entitled to pins. Sometimes a pin release doesn't go the way we hope, or they are released earlier than expected and then some people buy pins to re-sell them at a higher price. Tempers rise, people say they deserve the pins over others, heads roll, someone cries, and in the distance a dog barks. What I'm trying trying to say is that we need remember that pin trading/buying is a hobby and civility is a must!

Oh, and when a pin post pierces your skin and the ruby liquid of life comes squirting from the gash in your finger.... that grinds my gears too.

I hate when I have a pin that fits into 2 different categories in my collection. Do I put it here, do I put it there! OY! I just don't know where to put it! So annoying.... :bigthumb:

Last edited:
Now I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here on the forum because you people rock something wonderful, but what grinds my gears is the way that some people feel entitled to pins. Sometimes a pin release doesn't go the way we hope, or they are released earlier than expected and then some people buy pins to re-sell them at a higher price. Tempers rise, people say they deserve the pins over others, heads roll, someone cries, and in the distance a dog barks. What I'm trying trying to say is that we need remember that pin trading/buying is a hobby and civility is a must!

Oh, and when a pin post pierces your skin and the ruby liquid of life comes squirting from the gash in your finger.... that grinds my gears too.

Gotta agree.

You guys are hysterical! It upsets me when a pin falls of my lanyard and I lose it!

Oh man that happened to me this week. I lost two of my favorite pins on Tuesday and I went through my pins Wednesday and discovered that I had lost those two and I was so heart broken and I had posted on here about it and two people stepped up and were able to get me the pins. One even came over to DTD to personally hand the pin to me since she lived so close and I would have felt guilty making her pay for the shipping when I was so close to her yesterday. That is the reason why I love the members here is when people are willing to help others when they lost a pin or are willing to randomly send others pins. So yesterday since two people here were so kind to go out of their way to get me the pins and didn't ask for anything in return that I decided to pass it forward and were willing to give someone a pin and didn't ask for anything in return.

I never realized it before, but I was just looking through my pins and this one is driving me up the wall!

Pin 81670: DLR - Piece of Disney History 2 - Star Tours

EVERY other DLR POH pin series 1 and 2 has a bubble containing the "piece" and this one is just cloth glued on. It just doesn't belong!!!

Another thing that bothers me is I have pointed out to cast members when I believe that a pin is fake or if it is a blatant fake and they just don't seem to care that it is a fake and won't take if off when I tell them that it isn't fair for a honest pin traders and also the newbie traders since they won't know the difference.
This bothers me a lot too, not so much that all CMs aren't educated about pins, but when they have an I-don't-give-a-sh** attitude when you tell them a pin is a scrapper (or even broken!), explain how you can tell that pin is bad, and they just say "oh, okay" AND JUST PUT IT BACK ON THEIR LANYARD.

On a more personal note: I don't, as a person who's been trading since about 2001, appreciate anyone giving me lectures on pins (how pin trading is done, should be done, trying to tell me what a shark is, explaining LEs, CM pins, etc. and their value). Oh please...

This is not to say I never have questions about pins, but they are usually about pins I'm not familiar with and may be working out a trade for, so then I'm kind of "conferencing" (is that a word? lol) with other experienced pin traders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back