• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Yay, i made a bad trade yesterday....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, i made a bad trade yesterday....

YoSoyAhPuch

hello
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
First off, let me just say this is all partially my own fault. My girlfriend and I were at Disneyland doing some pin trading, when I saw an open edition pin I needed. The only pin the owner saw of mine that he wanted was an Le 300. So I asked if he'd do one LE and the OE for my LE 300. He said yes and we made the trade. Hours later, I took a good look at the LE I traded for, and *BAM* it was fake. Now I know a lot of you put your pins on cards, even if it's not the original one (which was done with the fake pin I traded for). I figured, it's still on the card, and therefore must be real. I didn't examine the pin as well as I usually do because, stupidly, I just trusted the trader. Now you can see how I have some blame in the trade. It's just a frustrating situation. Having done more trading in the parks recently, I'm seeing more and more fakes in people's pin books. Very disheartening. At least I got one pin, a real one, I really wanted. I just wanted to vent and talk to some other pin folks about it. Time to go throw that pin away.

- Alex

Hey Alex, was this one of the reg's which trade or a park guest? And why throw it away when you can give it to a CM? Some lanyard stripper with Ebay scrappers will pick it up for sure...lol

I've made a few 'unfair' trades in my life, where I got the shorter end of the stick. None of them seem like fakes, but I know after reading about the pins later that the people outright lied to me. In the end, I usually trade pins I don't want for pins I do, so I got what I wanted. But still.. what's with the lying.

Do you think the trader knows that it is fake? I've traded for a fake once and I politely asked him if he knew and we inspected it together. At the end of the trade he took the pin back and we worked out another trade.

Oh no :( I can see where your coming from, if its on the card then theres a less idea to question it.
Sorry about the scrapper!

The fact that it was on a card but still a fake is a pretty strong sign that someone knew they were ripping someone else off. That sucks. Sorry to hear about your trade.

The pin I traded for was this one:

pin50433

Pin 50433: WDW - Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas - Lock
While the real pin has a purplish swirl, this one is a flat purple and the enamel is not polished. I traded an LE 300 DSF pin (I forget which one but I think it was Stitch as a Soda Fountain Employee) for this pin and one of the travel company Car's Land OE pins. I'm happy to say that I was able to collect all four of those BEFORE Car's Land opened! Woo! But the fake Lock pin still bugs me.

Now I'm not going to point fingers at anyone, but sometimes I see people looking to buy backer cards for their pins. This raises a red flag to me. If you're a pin collector, chances are you have a ton of these backers already and shouldn't need to buy one. Unless, you think the backer card will raise the legitimacy of a pin you are selling/trading, at which point I must ask why you need to do this. It gives a false sense of security to the person buying/trading for it, as it did for me. Just my 2 cents.

Just as a person who has purchased pin backer cards in the past, thought I would let you know my reasons;

I have collected pins for over 20 years. Never knew about reading or that pins would be of any value.

When I learned about pin trading, about 2 1/2 years ago, I then understood all my mistakes, especially with getting rid of all my cards. I then purchased some, because people preferred to display them on the cards. Or at least the ones that I first started trading with.

I even had a piece of history with no backer card. I still might. Lol

Anyway, that was my reason. Now I don't throw away any of my cards and some pins I won't trade for if there is no backer card.

Vicki

Just as a person who has purchased pin backer cards in the past, thought I would let you know my reasons;

I have collected pins for over 20 years. Never knew about reading or that pins would be of any value.

When I learned about pin trading, about 2 1/2 years ago, I then understood all my mistakes, especially with getting rid of all my cards. I then purchased some, because people preferred to display them on the cards. Or at least the ones that I first started trading with.

I even had a piece of history with no backer card. I still might. Lol

Anyway, that was my reason. Now I don't throw away any of my cards and some pins I won't trade for if there is no backer card.

Vicki

+ 1000,000

I also have some delicate pins( pins with jewels on and dangles) that I have in baseball card pages in a trading folder and they are much better displayed and safer on backing cards than roaming free in my pin bag.

Good point. I never really thought of it like that. I do wonder if the trader knew if his pin was a fake or if he put his pin on a card to display it better. It's interesting. Well, lesson learned. I just need to be more careful and examine each pin I trade for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back