• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

You just realized you traded for a scrapper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just realized you traded for a scrapper...

Amarisolcito

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys!Just wondering if I could get some help...My boyfriend and I traded at Disneyland on Sunday. Right before we left we did a really big trade with some traders that are there on a regular basis. There were several LE 300's and a few limited UK pins on our part and several very good pins on their part. They happened to have a Figment LE 100 pin I very much needed so they took two of my LE 300s for their LE 100. I thought it was fair until I got home and realized there was a 9/10 chance that it was a scrapper. I was so sad. The lighting wasn't great so it wasn't entirely their fault but what I want to know is: do I have the right to ask them for my pins back? The paint job on their pin is very bad and even has tiny little air bubbles on the border. Things you notice in good light. The back looks ok but the paint job is so terrible I really don't think it's real. I would appreciate any advice you guys can provide.I added the pictures. In the first picture you can see the "brushstrokes" that shouldn't be there. The back has a clean cut mickey pattern, but the writing is sloppy. In the third picture there is a line in Figment's eye, but it's actually a dip in the paint. In the fourth picture you can see the brushstrokes every where.

Attachments

• fig2.jpg
    fig2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 141
  • fig4.jpg
    fig4.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 122
  • fig1.jpg
    fig1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 123
  • fig3.jpg
    fig3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Is there any chance you could provide some photos? I'm not saying you're being dishonest at all, just sometimes that it's good to get a second opinion. Sorry to hear about this though, these things are never fun.

I'm sorry to hear that. If they are an honest trader, I believe you should just be able to swap pins back and let them know what happened. But like Scar stated, make sure you're 100% that it's a scrapper. Post a photo or two and I'm sure the pin veterans here could help you out :)

FYI, I think there are a few people here on DPF that can tell you which traders to stay away from at DLR.

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how x)
I'm not very good with technology but Danttebay0 will help me in a bit so please check back. Although my gut feeling says it's a bad pin, I really don't want to make a fool of myself.

If you confirm that it is fake, you are absolutely in the right to ask for your traders back. The same thing happened to me concerning a 100 dollar pin. I asked for my pin back, and she made it right. The worst that can happen is they can say no. I'm so sorry that happened, I know exactly how it feels!

What pin did you trade for? If you need help posting pictures send me a PM and we can figure out how to get them posted.

I would Classify it a scrapper. The outline of Figment is a thick line that also runs the edge of said pin. Scrappers, or most scrappers, tend to have this. And if you hold it up to bright light and it doesnt have the reflection or pin glaze I would toss it. The Backstamp looks legit. but hard to read. Also paint dips dont mean a pin is a scrapper. But this pin is. Dont know if anyone agrees but Ive spent many hours identifying scrappers. I hope I helped.

That was helpful, thank you. I'm trying to take a better picture but it's hard to get the light just right so you could see the brush strokes. Besides not having the glossy finish, the brush strokes are all over the place.

Another sign. A definite sign is if no glossy finish, it's probably not real. If you can get abetter photo that'd be great.

Also the metal seems to be worn. As in the Trad City title and the metal outline of the pin.

Last edited:
I traded for the same pin online. I traded 2 of my LE 300 for it too! Mine I'm about 99% sure its fake, but I didn't realize it or a few weeks and the person did tell me they got it in a trade and can't guarantee its real but they think it is, so i let it go. I mean its been a while, I feel like there is a limitation on how long you can wait to bring it up. Another pin I got jthrough an online trade I immediately knew was fake and right away told the person and they were really nice about it and sent mine right back!

Well this happened on Sunday so I'd have to wait until this coming Sunday, hopefully if we make it back they'll be there. I traded a Dr. Facilier and a WDI Haunted Mansion pin, neither of which is that easy to obtain. I tried to take a better picture but the best I could do so far is that bottom one. You can see where the light hits that it's not glossy and the brush strokes are uneven. I hope it's a little clearer.

I traded twice for scrappers last Wednesday. It sucks. One was a little girl, and I knew she had a scrapper, but I could tell she really wanted this ugly Pirate Princess dangle pin that I had, so I let her have it. Another was a boy, probably around 14, who wanted some of my vinylmation. He had a Mark VII Monorail pin to trade, but when I looked at the back it said limited edition, so I said he could keep it, or take a few of my other pins. I looked it up on PinPics when I got home and realized it was a scrapper. It's disappointing, yes, but I figure I traded enough scrappers to cast members when I first started out (thanks lying eBay seller...) that I deserve to get some back every now and then.

The key to me, on that pin would be the Mickey waffle pattern on the back. Authentic pins, the Mickey heads butt up against the next one, with only the tiniest amount of space between the ears on one and the head of the one next to it. The ones like that where they don't touch, a lot of times the Mickey is the wrong size too. It's the same issue as the Christmas Pluto that Tinker posted in her thread wondering about authenticity.

Also, is the border on yours blue, or is it just the photo? The description indicates it is supposed to be purple.

:eek: You're right! I just compared with some of the Penny Arcade pins and the Mickey heads are right next to each other. This one definitely has space in between each Mickey head :(
We sometimes trade with kids even if they're scrappers just to throw them away but not with older people. I explain they're fake and tell them I can't.

I hadn't taken off the Mickey backings because since it wasn't on a card it hadn't been necessary. I just took them off now and both posts are very loose. Aaargh :'''( [<-- I'm so upset I had to make a Snoopy reference! Lol]

I tend to look at the Emblem and the glossy finish on the pin. Also the Pin outline as well as character outline. The Mickey Print not so much. That's just me though.

If a pin is dull when trying to see light reflection then its obviously a scrapper. No doubt. Character outline. If a pin outline is thick when the real pin's outline is thin. Scrapper. Emblems too.

Just me though. People have their methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back