• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Auction Ended: 24 hour auction #6, the mystery pin--square, rectangle or circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auction Ended: 24 hour auction #6, the mystery pin--square, rectangle or circle.
After some consideration, here is where I stand. It was never stated in my auction rules that switching bids or the pin being bid on was prohibited. In fact, I believe changing the pin you were bidding on as much a strategy as adding or changing the items you were bidding. Due to the unexpected circumstances of the evening (something to do with an awesome free concert) I was not able to clarify David's question prior to the end of the auction. As the answer would have been yes anyway had I been able to respond, I am going to allow the change.

Now, with that matter settled, do I go with Chaos?

Of course, that was always the plan. I did say at the begining of the first auction that the plan was to create chaos, and like everything else I have posted this week there has been a double meaning. Of course, things played out a bit differently than I originally planned, but when you try something new there is always fine tuning involved.

So here is the leaderboard as it stands

The square winner is docfush2u

The rectangle is a tie between pinewbie and mahrii at the moment.

The circle is, well, this is going to take a bit more time. Right now I have a four way tie.

If any of you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.

Disneypirate

As I stated before:

Chaos please!!!!

I don't envy your choices Disneypirate.

Thank you and good night!!!

OK, it was Snow Beast, same difference, right? I'm glad though that my time away has led to some results. This is all very exciting! I wish I had given myself more time to bid again though, it too me so long to decide what to bid that it was just a few minutes before 9. Que sera, sera, it was a very fun auction regardless. I love the mystery of it all. I had some details right, but not enough.

10minutes to go and i have a hot spot again

princess becky has really upped the ante on
the circle and docufish is in the running for the rectangle

this is going to be really tough...

It is going to be an hour or so before i can sit at my computer and look things over so please be patient

vixy, if you are around can you post the clues?

Thanks

Based on this leader board at 11:55 PM, I was in the lead. Disneypirate, you did NOT say that Docfish2U could change his bid until AFTER the bidding ended. If you had said that BEFORE the bidding ended, I would have upped my bid. I had additional pins typed up and ready to add, in case anyone else put in a last minute bid.

How can you allow him to change to the red square AFTER the bidding ended???? How can this possibly be fair???

8:16 PM - I am in the lead for the red square
9:30 PM - Docfish2U changes his bid on the rectangle and ask about changing to the square
11:22 PM - Docfish2U asks again about changing to the square
11:55 PM - Disneypirate says Docfish2U is in the running for the rectangle -- so after two times of asking to change over to the square, Disneypirate is still accepting Docfish2U's bid on the
rectangle.
11:57 PM - Docfish2U asks a third time to change....why would the answer be different now???? Because it's too late to warn anyone else??? So it becomes unfair to me, who would never expect that the third time the answer would change, three minutes before the end of the auction, with no notice to the bidders!
1:54 AM - Almost TWO HOURS AFTER THE AUCTION ENDED, Disneypirate - you tell Docfish2U and another person they can switch their bids to another pin????? How is this possible? Isn't this the same as bidding AFTER THE AUCTION ENDS? Is that even ALLOWED in DPF rules?

In addition to being grossly unfair to me, allowing Docfish2U to switch to the red square AFTER the auction ended, you confused ALL the people bidding on the blue rectangle, who thought they were bidding against Docfish2U's last bid!

Last edited:
Based on this leader board at 11:55 PM, I was in the lead. Disneypirate, you did NOT say that Docfish2U could change his bid until AFTER the bidding ended. If you had said that BEFORE the bidding ended, I would have upped my bid. I had additional pins typed up and ready to add, in case anyone else put in a last minute bid.

How can you allow him to change to the red square AFTER the bidding ended???? How can this possibly be fair???

9:30 PM - Docfish2U changes his bid on the rectangle and ask about changing to the square
11:55 PM - Disneypirate says Docfish2U is in the running for the rectangle -- so after two times of asking to change over to the square, Disneypirate is still accepting Docfish2U's bid on the
rectangle.
11:57 PM - Docfish2U asks a third time to change....why would the answer be different now???? Because it's too late to warn anyone else??? So it becomes unfair to me, who would never expect that the third time the answer would change, three minutes before the end of the auction, with no notice to the bidders!

In addition to being grossly unfair to me, allowing Docfish2U to switch to the red square AFTER the auction ended, you confused ALL the people bidding on the blue rectangle, who thought they were bidding against Docfish2U's last bid!

Disneypirate did state he was at a concert so trying to post on here with like a phone is hard to keep up with things especially 4 pages of comments. I am confused with this tread as well honestly. Give him a moment to answer your questions. I know it can be frustrating but I know Disneypirate isn't someone that wants to hurt bidders in any way. He does this for fun and enjoyment. Have some faith in him to clear up any questions you may have. Try to not assume the worst always focus on it being positive intent. xoxo.

Dieharddonald2, I gave considerable thought to this situation before making a judgement, and I realized that either way I went with my decision one person was not going to be happy. As I mentioned before, it is unfortunate that I was not able to provide a response prior to the end of the auction. As I expressed to my wife, had I know that I was going to have the opportunity I had to go out on a date with her to a concert I would not have started this auction knowing the time commitment it takes to run it. However, my time with her is so much more important that a few pins I made the choice and had to hope for the best.

Here is the way I look at it:

1. I posted this evening that I was not going to be able to update the leaderboard because I would have access to my computer. This puts the responsibility upon everyone who is participating to make their best bid prior to the end of auction.
2. Based upon my revision to how I was ranking things at the end of the auction it was not given that there was going to be three winners. In fact, I'm betting most everyone assumed that there was going to be only one winner decided out of the bunch once I sorted out all of the bids. In my opinion, it is pretty arrogant of you to bid a pretty lame pin at the start of the auction and then when you lose to come back and say that it is unfair that you lost because you were going to up your bid at the last moment if you only knew you weren't in the lead any more. Nobody in these auctions really knows if they are going to win, and in fact, posting a leaders board is out of courtesy (or a way to get people to increase their bids) and not a requirement. If you wanted to win, you need to play to win regards of what other people are doing.
3. I did not allow two other people to change their bids. Mahrii posted her request after the end of the auction, and as such, it remains under the rectangle. On the otherhand, as I stated, if I had been able to respond to the request to change the pin that was being bid on, the answer would have been yes. With that, after reviewing all of posts, docufish2 did request to change the pin he wanted to bid on 3 minutes before the end of the auction thus making his request valid. Thus, as I read it right now, you were hoping to slide under the radar and cheat me with a lowball bid, and because it backfired on you, you are now trying to put the blame on me for being unfair. You need to step up and take some responsibility here because if you had a qualifying bid that was able to beat docufish2, or any of the other people involved, we wouldn't be having this kind of discussion on a open forum in a setting that I have dedicated a lot of time to and done with the intention of make a few people have a better day.

rectangle.
1:54 AM - Almost TWO HOURS AFTER THE AUCTION ENDED, Disneypirate - you tell Docfish2U and another person they can switch their bids to another pin????? How is this possible? Isn't this the same as bidding AFTER THE AUCTION ENDS? Is that even ALLOWED in DPF rules?

I'm not sure what the need to be angry about all of this is. An auction is a game of chance and sometimes you don't win, it's not the end of the world and it really seems like the only time you were in the lead is when no one was bidding against you, it's hardly fair to win by default, docfish2U had the winning bid even before he officially asked to switch, when Disneypirate mistakenly thought that docfish2U was bidding on the square, he was in the lead. At that time you could have upped your bid, but you didn't.

I'm not trying to be mean, but these things happen and there is no reason why any of us should overreact to not winning an auction. You only ever bid one pin and even if you had bid more you have no way of knowing if it would have beat docfish2U or anyone of the other winning bids for that matter. While there are no rules concerning this, which in my opinion makes it up to the auctioneer to decide, in the OP there was no mention of how he was going to decide what to trade, if he would just trade 1 pin or if he would trade all 3, therefore you can't assume that you would have won anything considering that you only bid one pin while everyone else bid multiple pins.

I also don't see how it is unfair to the "rectangle" bidders because after it was announced that docfish2U was in the lead no one else bid anything more to push their own bid ahead. If anything it's more fair to them now since he switched categories, giving their previously losing bids a better chance.

I'm sorry that you think this is all unfair, but if the roles were reversed would you think it fair if you had to trade your LE100 pin for an LE1000?

Last edited:
Dieharddonald2, I gave considerable thought to this situation before making a judgement, and I realized that either way I went with my decision one person was not going to be happy. As I mentioned before, it is unfortunate that I was not able to provide a response prior to the end of the auction. As I expressed to my wife, had I know that I was going to have the opportunity I had to go out on a date with her to a concert I would not have started this auction knowing the time commitment it takes to run it. However, my time with her is so much more important that a few pins I made the choice and had to hope for the best.

Here is the way I look at it:

1. I posted this evening that I was not going to be able to update the leaderboard because I would have access to my computer. This puts the responsibility upon everyone who is participating to make their best bid prior to the end of auction.
2. Based upon my revision to how I was ranking things at the end of the auction it was not given that there was going to be three winners. In fact, I'm betting most everyone assumed that there was going to be only one winner decided out of the bunch once I sorted out all of the bids. In my opinion, it is pretty arrogant of you to bid a pretty lame pin at the start of the auction and then when you lose to come back and say that it is unfair that you lost because you were going to up your bid at the last moment if you only knew you weren't in the lead any more. Nobody in these auctions really knows if they are going to win, and in fact, posting a leaders board is out of courtesy (or a way to get people to increase their bids) and not a requirement. If you wanted to win, you need to play to win regards of what other people are doing.
3. I did not allow two other people to change their bids. Mahrii posted her request after the end of the auction, and as such, it remains under the rectangle. On the otherhand, as I stated, if I had been able to respond to the request to change the pin that was being bid on, the answer would have been yes. With that, after reviewing all of posts, docufish2 did request to change the pin he wanted to bid on 3 minutes before the end of the auction thus making his request valid. Thus, as I read it right now, you were hoping to slide under the radar and cheat me with a lowball bid, and because it backfired on you, you are now trying to put the blame on me for being unfair. You need to step up and take some responsibility here because if you had a qualifying bid that was able to beat docufish2, or any of the other people involved, we wouldn't be having this kind of discussion on a open forum in a setting that I have dedicated a lot of time to and done with the intention of make a few people have a better day.

Well said my friend :bowdown:

First, its not arrogant. Its how all auctions start. Every single one of the colored shapes started low, you can check. Just because no one decided to bid on the one I chose, how is that my fault???

You set up the auction in such a manor that this was possible to happen. It is part of the issue with having these auctions, you do not know you are going to win. You said no one is sure they are going to win. Well with this type of auction, when you can see everyone's bid, it is possible. UNLESS YOU CHANGE THE RULES.

I waited for 2 days for people to bid, I even sent you a PM asking "why I was the only one who bid on the square". I can't make people bid. Also how am I sliding in??? I was there to begin with. I could have upped my original bid at any time, no one compelled me to do so. You can't change your own rules to fit the outcome so you get the most pins. If you had said from the beginning, the top 3 offers will get pins no matter what you bid on, then what was the point of all of this???

We need some moderator help here. You created something incredible, however changing the rules is not kosher.

Also, during the course of the auction, DocfishU upped the ante on the rectangle. Which made people bid more pins. If he had bid on the square, I would have obliged with a higher bid. DocfishU bolsters one of your auctions so you get more pins. Then gets to switch to the other and you get even more pins. REALLY???

Last edited:
First, its not arrogant. Its how all auctions start. Every single one of the colored shapes started low, you can check. Just because no one decided to bid on the one I chose, how is that my fault???

You set up the auction in such a manor that this was possible to happen. It is part of the issue with having these auctions, you do not know you are going to win. You said no one is sure they are going to win. Well with this type of auction, when you can see everyone's bid, it is possible. UNLESS YOU CHANGE THE RULES.

I waited for 2 days for people to bid, I even sent you a PM asking "why I was the only one who bid on the square". I can't make people bid. Also how am I sliding in??? I was there to begin with. I could have upped my original bid at any time, no one compelled me to do so. You can't change your own rules to fit the outcome so you get the most pins. If you had said from the beginning, the top 3 offers will get pins no matter what you bid on, then what was the point of all of this???

We need some moderator help here. You created something incredible, however changing the rules is not kosher.

Also, during the course of the auction, DocfishU upped the ante on the rectangle. Which made people bid more pins. If he had bid on the square, I would have obliged with a higher bid. DocfishU bolsters one of your auctions so you get more pins. Then gets to switch to the other and you get even more pins. REALLY???

How could you have waited 2 days for someone else to bid, it was a 24 hour auction. According to the posts it was less than 3 hours after you bid that the next person bid. And I still stand by the fact that at no time did he say that he would be awarding all 3 pins. That was a bonus that he added after the auction ended, he could have chosen someone who bid on one of the other pins as a winner and then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

This is an auction thread not a telenovela, the truth is that the auctioneer has the power and say in this matter. Docfish made a request prior to the auctions end and was given the ok by the auctioneer. End of story.

It is that simple, you were never going to win. Disneypirate even said as much when he said that you were going to need more than 1 pin to win.

Disneypirate hasn't announced the winner for the other pins, would it make you happy if he just had one winner? If he made an announcement that because you're unhappy he is going to just give out one pin, and since you're disputing that you should've won the "red square" pin and docfish2U should never have been allowed to change his bid, that he is the one and only winner and he gets the "blue rectangle" pin. Will that then solve the problem? The things that you're questioning are not in the rules, which means, like everyone's been saying that it is up to the discretion of the auctioneer.

I am only unhappy because by what the original rules say I should have won. If the rules were going to change I would have liked to have known. Probably everybody who was involved would have like to have known.

Not to make me happy, but to do what is fair would be for him to just put the pin up as a seperate auction and let whoever wants to bid, bid. If disneypirate would agree to that then I think this would be resolved.

I think disneypirate was clear on his decision so there really is nothing else that needs to be resolved... On a better note, I can't wait for the winners to be announced! These pins are awesome!!

Awww yeah...I guessed correctly for the square and circle pins! I feel like a pin Sherlock Holmes. LOL

I was pretty positive that the square was the Ariel Wedding Spinner...because you said "fish in a wedding dress", and "spinner", and the square was red. So I went to PinPics and that was the only square Ariel spinner, and it is a desirable pin.

And I knew the circle had to be Rapunzel because it was yellow, and you mentioned a blonde that cut her hair off and turned it brown...so I was debating whether the circle was one of these... but then you mentioned Paris, and the most sought-after circular Paris pin is the PTN Rapunzel.

And I am not well-versed in Hitchhiking Ghost pins, but the rectangle was blue, and you kept bringing up ghosts, threes, and such.

That was fun! :bigthumb:

I'm sorry dieharddonald2, I bid my butt off on this auction expecting only one winner. If I win, awesome, if I lose no biggie! I'm not going to cry over it. If indeed there was going to only be one winner, I am sorry to say, It wouldn't have been your bid. You bid ONE pin and never came back to up your bid. I actually don't even know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back