• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Ever feel like your in a Trading slump ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever feel like your in a Trading slump ?
I agree with you Bread. I think sometimes people don't understand that they offer really uneven trades. I understand the want for older pins, but how is offering someone a newer pin that one can still buy and then get asked 2 Disney Auction pins in return. Not just any DA pins, but those of a really popular character. I'm all about helping fellow members and I don't mind loosing out a bit as long as I know it's a fair trade. I've learned this over time: it's about the quality of the pins, not the quantity. I've had a few traders get really upset, and I remember threw a fit just because I wouldnt trade a pin that has almost 300 people wanting and only 9 trading for 8 Le2000 pins that i could easily buy. Then they go about saying I'm being unfair, or that all of us are being unfair. If someone doesn't want to trade, then so be it :) I respect that. I've offered some really old DA LE100 pins for newer jessicas and I'm told "while you are offering amazing pins, I want to hold on to it for a little while longer and see if i can get a grail with it". Why should I get upset over that? You always have to respect traders opinion no matter how badly you want a pin. Not stop talking to them.

yeah i agree with you too,traders have the absolute right to refuse a trade or to counter a trade.i just seem to be running into this more and more.it seems like so many more traders are afraid to make good fair trades in the fear that they'll lose out on a grail opportunity.if they live in that fear their going to miss out on a lot of good trades.

Now you know how I feel and have felt for over a YEAR!!! Even getting a rack pin (old one) is hard. I'll send out some requests for your pin and let you now if I get any takers.

I can now relate to how you go on Margaret.

I just got a reply from someone I cintacted over a week ago and I asked for 1 of 2 pins off my wants list, offered them the PTN Cinderella to see if I could get a bite and was told they'd not trade either for it...

I know its lower LE but going off wants/trades then can see mines highly wanted...and I dont get how Im to get these pins when Im offering hard to get pins for hard to get pins in return..I really am shocked Im getting turned down with PTN pins when if I tried to trade for them Id have to trade an arm or a leg for them...

main reason Im resorting to buying from now on as I make fair and equal trade offers and then people just want more and more and more...

yeah i agree with you too,traders have the absolute right to refuse a trade or to counter a trade.i just seem to be running into this more and more.it seems like so many more traders are afraid to make good fair trades in the fear that they'll lose out on a grail opportunity.if they live in that fear their going to miss out on a lot of good trades.

I understand where everyone comes from. I know its been more and more difficult to trade nowadays, but I see it done all the time. Why? because people offer what a person wants. Plain and simple. I still dont get why some traders can't understand that just because you offer something in a persons wants list, that they MUST accept. That is just silly. You don't always get everythign you want. It took me FOREVER to trade for my Jessicas as Maleficent, but never did I throw a hissy fit. It's a damn hard pin to find, and I would never offer newly released pins for it. I will never blame someone for wanting an Le100 for an LE100. NEVER. Or a Jessica for a Jessia. It is THEIR PINS and they can trade however they like. If you don't like it, then that's up to you, but don't be rude about it you know? But look at how you see it Bread, it's not always fun not being able to trade, but you respect and understand the trader. It shows me alot that you continue, you dont throw tantrums just because you can't get what you want. I admire that :)

P.S. lol this is not about you Tabbi lol don't think im talking about you throwing tantrums, you just felt sad lol

Last edited:
I understand where everyone comes from. I know its been more and more difficult to trade nowadays, but I see it done all the time. Why? because people offer what a person wants. Plain and simple. I still dont get why some traders can't understand that just because you offer something in a persons wants list, that they MUST accept. That is just silly. You don't always get everythign you want. It took me FOREVER to trade for my Jessicas as Maleficent, but never did I throw a hissy fit. It's a damn hard pin to find, and I would never offer newly released pins for it. I will never blame someone for wanting an Le100 for an LE100. NEVER. Or a Jessica for a Jessia. It is THEIR PINS and they can trade however they like. If you don't like it, then that's up to you, but don't be rude about it you know? But look at how you see it Bread, it's not always fun not being able to trade, but you respect and understand the trader. It shows me alot that you continue, you dont throw tantrums just because you can't get what you want. I admire that :)

AGREED. trading has become less fun and more of a stressful problem then a fun hobbie. I can understand not wanting to trade something your really attached too, or even not wanting to trade because you don't like something you'd be getting in return, but when you have to sit there and cry and complain about it, you take all the fun out of pin collecting and trading for not only you but also the person your trading with. i stopped pin collecting for years because it become a competition and a fight more than a fun time. People forget that and care more about themselves than others. Its really sad =(

Ive only collected a total of 16 pins in my lifetime, and One gail (jessica as Monroe LE 100) but i gave it up because i needed the money, and i wanted it to go to someone who would enjoy it....

AGREED. trading has become less fun and more of a stressful problem then a fun hobbie. I can understand not wanting to trade something your really attached too, or even not wanting to trade because you don't like something you'd be getting in return, but when you have to sit there and cry and complain about it, you take all the fun out of pin collecting and trading for not only you but also the person your trading with. i stopped pin collecting for years because it become a competition and a fight more than a fun time. People forget that and care more about themselves than others. Its really sad =(

Ive only collected a total of 16 pins in my lifetime, and One gail (jessica as Monroe LE 100) but i gave it up because i needed the money, and i wanted it to go to someone who would enjoy it....

AMEN.

I wish this sense of entitlement to certain pins would clear from trading in general. It's supposed to be a fun hobby, not a competition. And if it's somehow made into a competition, who is anyone to say what's fair and not fair?

:wavey:

Last edited:
AMEN.

I wish this sense of entitlement to certain pins would clear from trading in general. It's supposed to be a fun hobby, not a competition. And if it's somehow made into a competition, who is anyone to say what's fair and not fair?

:wavey:

lol what about sense of entitlement from some traders that lets them believe they can be rude. Lol then they wonder why they get no trades LMAO

I just got a reply from someone I cintacted over a week ago and I asked for 1 of 2 pins off my wants list, offered them the PTN Cinderella to see if I could get a bite and was told they'd not trade either for it...

I know its lower LE but going off wants/trades then can see mines highly wanted...and I dont get how Im to get these pins when Im offering hard to get pins for hard to get pins in return..I really am shocked Im getting turned down with PTN pins when if I tried to trade for them Id have to trade an arm or a leg for them...

DLRP PTN pins never cease to chagrin me. Coming at this from the perspective of a relative newbie, the demand for those pins looks like it was artificially created by the Paris traders who've engineered a particular status quo for their mutual benefit. LE 400 PTN pins of totally unpopular characters still become profitable purchases, while DSF-goers or current ds.com buyers often have to resort to selling/trading LE 300's or LE 250's of popular characters at their original purchase cost (or below).

I don't know, maybe it happened completely by accident and at some point, there really was overwhelming demand for those pins for reasons other than, "Everybody else wants them, so I will too." But like, take a peek at eBay: should the lowest BIN listing for the Meet the Robinsons DLRP PTN pin really be $40? It boggles the mind. Sure, it might never move at that price, but it's still got a Want rating of 82 on Pinpics: higher than many LE 300 or LE 250 Jessica pins released in similar timeframes.

-JD

Last edited:
I'm glad they do it for you, but I don't get it. Like, I don't grasp how "LE 400 Stock Art Pasted On A Red Circle" (Pin: 82793) has more than twice the Want ratings of any of the DSF LE 300 Rapunzel pins (all of which have more detail, and more imaginative design). Literally the only explanation in my mind is "French Pin Trading Conspiracy To Create Artificial Demand." Haha :) I saw plenty of DLRP PTN pins at my first PTN (at California's DLR) and thought they were all pretty unexciting. Even just the fact that you're listing "small" as an asset to their design makes no sense to me. I've never seen anyone say they like small pins before, while I've seen lots of people say they enjoy larger ones.

I really think at this point, the perceived value of DLRP PTN pins is carried almost purely on inertia and hoarding.

-JD

I'm glad they do it for you, but I don't get it. Like, I don't grasp how "LE 400 Stock Art Pasted On A Red Circle" (Pin: 82793) has more than twice the Want ratings of any of the DSF LE 300 Rapunzel pins (all of which have more detail, and more imaginative design). Literally the only explanation in my mind is "French Pin Trading Conspiracy To Create Artificial Demand." Haha :) I saw plenty of DLRP PTN pins at my first PTN (at California's DLR) and thought they were all pretty unexciting. Even just the fact that you're listing "small" as an asset to their design makes no sense to me. I've never seen anyone say they like small pins before, while I've seen lots of people say they enjoy larger ones.

I really think at this point, the perceived value of DLRP PTN pins is carried almost purely on inertia and hoarding.

-JD

To each is own. lol

I think part of the problem is that there just aren't many grail opportunities out there anymore. The ds.com purchasing limit on LE pins, combined with the lukewarm designs of late, make the odds of a ds.com grail extremely unlikely. DSF pins are largely supplied at-cost by locals like myself, who, for better or worse, have killed demand and perceived value for those pins by picking them up en masse to help people out (or to resell on eBay for paper-thin profit margins). People do the same thing for LE park releases, which suffer the double-whammy of now being sold on ds.com as well.

Which is rough, because new traders that don't have massive budgets really only have two choices for trying to get older pins: trade newer LE pins at-cost (or worse), or hold onto newer stuff and hope it appreciates (which rarely happens). When the slim chance of a grail possibility is there, it's pretty easy to understand why a newer trader, or even just an older trader on a budget, is going to hold onto that new "might-be-a-grail-(but-probably-won't)-pin", passing up perfectly reasonable offers in the mean time.

It's funny, because at this point my biggest wish in this hobby (aside from the return of monthly PTNs) would be to see DS.com purchasing limits removed. It seems it would give new traders a shot at some grail opportunities, while also solving what appears to be sales troubles for the site.

-JD

my wife likes and collects the smallest "mini" pins. So, there is a first for everything.

I think I maybe came on a bit too strong - I've met some people who are into mini pins, too. But my point is: I think the DLRP PTN Pins are largely seen as desirable because they have a pedigree, and the traders that buy them usually do so with the intent of scoring big trades with them. I think the actual quality of the designs is, at this point, virtually a non-factor.

-JD

Last edited:
Pins I don't have access to are more expensive than I want to pay for them!?

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Ok so my 2 cents on the matter. I still think pin trading is a FUN and exciting hobby. I still get excited when I go to the mail box and see a package. yes we all have slumps, yes it is harder to trade for that "grail" pin, but it would not be as fun or even as popular if these "grail" pins were everywhere! I enjoy the hunt of finding a pin on my wants list, I have no order in which I trade, if I think that trade is a fair one I will trade..if I dont think it's fair I wont. I have sent out countless trades requests and been shot down, but I am still excited when I do get that one out of 300 that accept my trade! This is what it is all about....NOT omg they have a pin I want and they wont trade it.

My motto is simple....

they accept= GREAT

they decline= oh well

they counter= this could happen!

this is supposed to be a fun and exciting hobby....keep it that

EVERYTHING HAS SLUMPS!!!!! when you least expect it you will get that offer for that Grail pin you gave up on! Stop trying to have a baby...then you'll get pregnant!

Enjoy!

Ok so my 2 cents on the matter. I still think pin trading is a FUN and exciting hobby. I still get excited when I go to the mail box and see a package. yes we all have slumps, yes it is harder to trade for that "grail" pin, but it would not be as fun or even as popular if these "grail" pins were everywhere! I enjoy the hunt of finding a pin on my wants list, I have no order in which I trade, if I think that trade is a fair one I will trade..if I dont think it's fair I wont. I have sent out countless trades requests and been shot down, but I am still excited when I do get that one out of 300 that accept my trade! This is what it is all about....NOT omg they have a pin I want and they wont trade it.

My motto is simple....

they accept= GREAT

they decline= oh well

they counter= this could happen!

this is supposed to be a fun and exciting hobby....keep it that

EVERYTHING HAS SLUMPS!!!!! when you least expect it you will get that offer for that Grail pin you gave up on! Stop trying to have a baby...then you'll get pregnant!

Enjoy!

Thank you!!! hahahahah i love the pregnant bit. Oh Si lol I'm just getting irritated by all this "they wont trade their $120 worth of pins for my $40 pin *frown, stomp around" attitude. It's irritating to say the least, and annoying.

I have more than 30 pins on my wants list that value over 120, but someday I will have something worth that and I will offer a trade...they take it or they dont...either way I try.
By agreed, dont ***** if you make a fair trade and they decline...it was not ment to be...***** if they offer you a stupid trade...and then just do it so we can laugh.

Last edited:
Kidup - We are clear I wasn't acting as if I was entitled to French pins, right? Haha I just want to make sure you don't think I'm contributing to the problem. But this turned into a general trade-bish thread, and the topic of DLRP PTN's came up, so I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. :)

Also, in choosing my new forum title I didn't intend it to make a rhyming couplet with Grim's. But I do take satisfaction from the fact that our sig titles now make a little song if you read them together to a tune.

Kidup - We are clear I wasn't acting as if I was entitled to French pins, right? Haha I just want to make sure you don't think I'm contributing to the problem. But this turned into a general trade-bish thread, and the topic of DLRP PTN's came up, so I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. :)

Also, in choosing my new forum title I didn't intend it to make a rhyming couplet with Grim's. But I do take satisfaction from the fact that our sig titles now make a little song if you read them together to a tune.

LMAO hahaha we are clear. Good to go ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back