• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

POLL: Would you pay a nominal fee for a regular trading day/night??

Would you be willing to pay for a monthly trading day/night??

• No

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • yes $5.00 to $10.00

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • yes $11.00 to $20.00

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • yes $25.00 and higher depending on what they offer

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
POLL: Would you pay a nominal fee for a regular trading day/night??
Hm...that got me thinking...I think I've been to most of the PTNs DLR set up (or at least percentage-wise, most of them), and I can't ever remember them cancelling one. They've changed locations, one Disney hotel conference room to a different Disney hotel conference room, but in those situations, they had the big sandwich board right at the entrance doors of the hotel to direct us where to go.

Hannette

The main reason I'd be okay with paying $5-$10 for a PTN admission, is that I know I'm going to do at least ten or fifteen trades, maybe more. If I was going to do those trades on pinpics, I'd be shelling out $3 a trade for postage and mailing supplies anyways for each trade. If they're only going to do a couple PTN's a year, then yeah, I wouldn't pay for that. But if it would get us back our monthly PTN's, I'm cool with a nominal fee.

-JD
never thought about looking at it this way, but that's a good point.

never thought about looking at it this way, but that's a good point.
Thats the point I was trying to make. If you read the top i did say MONTHLY ptn's It could help to defray the "cost" of a room that could be reserved for a MONTHLY ptn as they seem now to be very reluctant to host them and they seem to be doing away with the spots in the park where we can trade, as well as doing away with the one outside the park.

I appreciate the dedication of some of you and why you would pay, but I most emphatically would never. Disney is a multi-billion dollar company and most pin traders are working class individuals who sometimes struggle to get by, and their hard earned money already goes into Disney's pockets, so am I willing to give Disney more money just for a monthly PTN without any added benefits, absolutely not. When Disney starts recognizing their guests loyalty a little more, and listening to their wants, well than I will think about it.

I would if (and only if) the "fee" included something to offset the fee, like a LE pin for that night's event (think PTN pins with an LE around the max occupancy of the room. Then, if there are extras, they could be sold during the night.

No, and that is in every sense of the definition 'no'.
Disney may 'contribute' a room for PTN's, but if you look at it in the sense of pin sales alone for PTN (and yes, we do buy the PTN pins if they're hot), they still make enough off pin traders and tourists to constitute their 'contribution' as well as the cast members for the night. Future sales projections are pretty much based on their showcase boards, as the preview only whets appetites for local collectors and traders who help non-locals get their pins. Yes, three hours may not seem like enough time, but it really is the perfect amount. Any more time and you would have a lag where pin traders would be bored or people would leave due to lack of trading. Don't believe me? Look at the Carnation Plaza on a Sunday; after the morning trades happen, there's a lull until after lunch, when guests/traders went on rides, had their meals, and decide to go back to trading.
If there's a fee, you are guaranteed of the usual pyramid scheme where Disney would 'provide more' as you pay more; if not, they would raise the fee every few months of PTN (remember parking fees, anyone?). Normal tourists and first-timers would second guess their venture into this hobby if they were forced to pay to get in; think of it, would a family of four pay an additional $20-$40 just to trade pins when they could do it for (almost) free at the parks? If this happens, you can bet there would be less traders at PTN and someone would post the pin previews on DPF anyways.
What began as a simple offshoot of the Disney version of Olympic pin trading has now evolved into one of the most lucrative money-making ventures the park has ever fostered, even creating a 3rd party market as well as counterfeits/ custom one-offs. When you think about the various facets to the issue of paying a nominal fee to PTN, it seems that (if this should this happen) trading would reach a point of near-entropy due to the overwhelming need to market this simple past-time, and not entirely from Disney's decision about PTN. In this economy, and with the issues concerning pin trading already, is that what we really want?

now if someone wanted to rent a hall and put one on on the side, I would pay for that.

Me and my wife have discussed this many times,now that we've found this place its time for me and her to discuss it again.

I'd pay a nominal fee if the event were done well and perhaps if they gave us a small gift pin that's LE.And I'd add another few bucks in if they didn't do the old flickering lights get out now thing.Ooooo I'm so scared,you can flip a light switch *wanders to the arcade and continues trading in there*

most of us already pay 15.00 just to park, so I don't think I would pay to have regular trading nights at DLR, now if someone wanted to rent a hall and put one on on the side, I would pay for that.

Something is being worked out as we speak for such a venue, also the ability to SELL also. It will be around the park too. I will keep everyone posted if this goes through, it will be mostly a vinylmation show but pins will be welcomed with open arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back