• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Are you specific about what you collect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you specific about what you collect?

YoSoyAhPuch

hello
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Everyone likes to collect a specific subject (cheshire cat, Tink, Haunted Mansion, Stitch, etc.) but are you specific about which pins make it into your collection? I'm just wondering if I'm the only one like this. I collect Haunted Mansion and attraction poster pins, but I am specific as to which kind of Haunted Mansion and attraction poster pins I add to my collection. Rather than collecting all Haunted Mansion, I like to focus on the Disneyland Mansion and Phantom Manor. The WDW Mansion and Tokyo don't really interest me and most pins associated with them don't make me scream "I WANT IT!" The Disneyland Mansion is the only one I've been to (though I'd like to go to the others) and the WDW Mansion just doesn't do it for me. There's something about the Disneyland one that makes it so special (Maybe because Walt Disney may have touched the building (of course planning for the WDW and Disneyland Mansions happened around the same time (*eck* I better get back on topic!))). As for the Phantom Manor, well it's VERY different from the other Mansions, and when I first learned about it, I was hooked. So that's why I focus on those Mansions and their pins, and why The "Holiest of Haunted Mansion Holy Grails" Pin 1098: WDAC 1999 - Haunted Mansion Dangle (Seriously, 7 trading, 262 wants? The art for the pin is very *meh*) doesn't do it for me.

As for the attraction posters, well when I walk under the arches leading to Main St. in Disneyland and I see those posters I feel happy. Seeing those poster pins also make me happy. WDW posters, eh. I guess what I'm trying to say in that long rant is that pins have to have meaning to me. They are not just something to collect, they need to have a story or feeling attached to each one.

Is anyone else out there like this? I'd like to know I'm not the only crazy one here at DPF.

- Alex

Hahaha, Alex, what is so funny is that I will not collect anything, even in my themes(unless it is UP) if it says Disneyland. My home park is WDW, and I have never been to Disneyland, so I refuse to collect anything for somewhere that I haven't been. Funny how people like different things; that is what makes this community so great!

Anyway, with UP I am a completist. I have to get it no matter what, though I have not disliked any even if they do repeat. I am also a completist for Boo by herself and Lotso pins. For Robin Hood, because those pins are so cluttered, I am a completist of LE pins that have no dates or anniversaries on them. I think, for the most part, dates and anniversaries ruin the pins for me, unless the date has sentimental value (such as Mother's Day pins from the year my daughter was born). Princess and the Frog somehow worked its way in, but I really only collect the LE pins of the animals and Dr. Facilier. Other than that I have side character collections that I am VERY selective about(Wonderland, Stitch, and Tink). They have to mean something to me, like you said, for me to want them.

I guess to answer your question, yes, I am someone out there who thinks like that.

Last edited:
As long as it fits a collection theme, I get it. Completionist to the enth degree.

My primary collection preferences are as follows:
Halloween - Has to be obviously Halloween (i.e., pumpkins, vampires, witches, ghosts, etc).
Malie/Dragon - I prefer them by themselves or with each other. No logos, signatures, or other characters. Ocassionally, I'll accept Diablo with Malie.
Chernobog - By himself or with the spirits
Tinker - Christmas with red or green dress; autumn and winter themes; non-cartoony
Pluto - Christmas with a happy, chagrined, or grumpy expression

I only collect cast member nametags and badges. Lately I have been focusing on costume pieces. Last Sunday at the pin show I picked up some vintage WDW Hostess and Guest Relations badges.

I definitely am specific. I collect Sleeping Beauty mainly, but its really specific to what I like. I can't stand titles and words on the pins unless its the character's name or the movie name, although I have a few Valentine's pins just because I have a bunch of years in a row. I don't really collect Aurora in the pink dress unless I really like the design. I also don't like when the characters are put into different situations/outfits that weren't in the movie. I love Aurora's parents so I will collect anything they're on with her, and I love the stained glass window in Beauty and the Beast so I collect all the ones with that design. And even though I'm so picky, I break my own rules regularly and reserve the right to change my mind. Lol.

Hey Alex,
I am extremly biased to DLR. I have been going since I was a few months old and it will always be my home park. Sure there are other parks and I have pins from there but when it comes to me, and I collect rides & attractions, if it is from any other park, I dont collect it. Recently I was thinking about starting a WDW board because some of the pins are pretty cool like Mission Space & Test Track but the like with other themes whqt about Paris, Tokyo, etc.

Personally, I as for rides and attractions I collect only DLR.
Max as you know collects Star Wars and if you did not include WDW with Star Wars Weekend and all, you wont have much of a collection.
Same with our C&D, Dalmatians, etc.

Im in the same boat as Mackenzie, being an UP completist and have to get any of those pins that come out. My other collection is Stitch and for me when it comes to collecting stitch I have a few themes, currently breaks up as this -

Stitch in other films
Stitch's cousin's
St Patricks day pins
Stitch dressed up (halloween, christmas etc)

And for me I can make do with 1 of each pin, for example I have stitch dressed as a vampire so wont be wanting another one. Only one that I do have more of is my st patricks day stitch pins as seeing as my partner is irish and I now live in ireland and celebrate st patricks day I thought it would be nice to add them to my collection.

Last edited:
I had to be specific because for the first year I collected and trader for whatever I wanted. I knew I liked this or that, but the lack of focus was driving me crazy! I knew had to pick something, set a goal, and go for it. It has changed a little on the way and I have added a few things, but overall this is where I am at:
Maleficent: As herself (not the dragon) and I love her when she has Diablo with her. I'm trying to get all the pins with her in it, but now I am focusing on the ones I actually like. Some of them are UGLY, but when it comes to Maleficent I want to try and get them all.
Alice: I only want Alice pins that have Alice in them. The other characters are fun, but not what I want. Also, sometimes the artist makes Alice look or weird or fat. When she is like that, I don't want her. So only Alice pins I like.
Characters dressed as Alice/Maleficent: If the characters in the pin are dressed like these two then I want that pin. :)
Hidden Mickeys: Every year this is a decision I make. If I like the set, if it fits in with my first two collections, or if it has to do something to do with villains then I will collect it.
Pins I Fall in Love With: If I see a set of pins or a pin that I absolutely love (The Marc Davis WDI POTC pins for example) I will go for them. They may not fit in the criteria, but because I like them, then they make it. Right now I'm pursuing HM stretching portraits, Disney Dreams, and Jumbo Art Nouveau pins.

I feel good about my focus now and it helps a lot with trading and buying. :)

As I’ve just started to go into a more fanatical tough time (My own fault i want to quit my job so don't feel sorry for me =P ) So this has meant i really need to focus and now I only collect El Capitan Theatre signs like the one in my signature and UK pins i really really want as i just can’t afford to buy everything anymore but this has given me more of a focus which I’m enjoying =)

Hey Alex,

WDW is the only park I've been to, so I'm a little partial to pins from there, but it doesn't mean I won't collect pins from other parks. I also don't stick strictly to my favorite theme/character pins (Halloween, Tink, Ariel, etc) in my collecting. If I see an awesome pin outside my normal area of interest I definitely try to get it. Likewise, I won't pick up any pins within my area of interest if they are poorly executed (plenty of examples of that, unfortunately :( ). This aspect keeps me from being a completist. No matter how much I like a particular theme or character, I never feel compelled to buy (what I feel) is an ugly pin.

It is definitely interesting reading what motivates people in their choices. :)

Jesse

Definitely specific(ish!)

I only collect Cast Lanyard & Hidden Mickey pins BUT they are ALL the sets from the early Cast Lanyard sets from DLR & WDW, plus the newer Hidden Mickey sets from those parks also. The interesting part was that I also discovered a few years ago that DLP released their equivalent of Cast Lanyard pins so they also came into the collection, as did the very recent Cast Lanyard pins from the UK Disney Stores.

As a side on the above I also collect the Piece of History pins from WDW & DLR & also a set of the Hidden Disney pins.

I doubt whether I will expand on any of the above as living in the UK does have it's restrictions on pin releases etc & to be honest I'm not really a lover of any character pins - closest if any would be Cheshire & Sally from NBC.

Am eagerly awaiting the Hidden Mickey releases for 2011 which hopefully will be any time soon!

Hiya
Reading everyone elses responses i'm thinking that maybe i should become more focused but then i enjoy the pins i get either buying or trading and the only time i buy pins i don't especially like myself is when we are stocking up for a meet or a trip to a park,as a family of 4 with the children both being under 5 i love watching them trading with cast and fellow traders but i have to buy pins none of us want to keep ourselves which is sometimes tricky when this is what we collect :)

Me-Tink,Peter Pan,Daisy Duck,Alice,Twirl and cheer pins,Princess & Frog and Up pins and any that catch my eye as i do like celebration pins
Colin(my partner)-Huanted Mansion,Pirates,Nightmare b4 Xmas,Stitch,Jessica,Star Waes and Muppetts
Rhianna(our 4yr old)-Princesses with Aurora being her favourite but also likes Minnie and Marie and anything sparkly,jeweled or glittery
Drew(3yr old)-Cars,Toy Story and anything with dinosaurs

I'm sure over time and as the children get older we will all adapt our collections but we have only been collecting/trading for about 18months and just can't resist buying pins sometimes when we have a few spare pounds,saying that i have already made the decision not to get all the UK pins as i started buying them all and looked at my board the other day thinking i don't even like this character why do i have a pin with it on?so there is my first cut back!

Really interesting to hear other peoples reasons for collecting certain pins,the only pins i collect for any reason other than i like the character/film is the Twirl and Cheer pins because i used to do baton twirling when younger and i'm putting together a board with newspaper clippings,photos and pins which when finished will go up on a wall in our house

Sam

I collect Mickey and Minnie,but mostly Captain Jack Sparrow
If it has anything to do with Johnny Depp,its gotta be mine

Judy

I used to collect EVERYTHING I liked. That was bad... very bad... Now I collect all Figment, Dreamfinder and things to do with that attraction. My other main collection is Haunted Mansion, but since that is so huge I'm trying to narrow it down by taking out the Halloween pins, the ones that are doubles and triples of the same pin, ie stretch portraits, attraction posters, etc.. My smaller collections that only have 20 or so pins I'll try to get them all. :)

I collect Ariel, mostly older DA Ariel's actually. My other two collections are an offshoot of that- Minnie dressed as other characters- I was given a Minnie dressed as Ariel & Minnie as Tink from the princess series as a gift and just had to finish the set & then went even farther, lol. And the Minnie dressed as Tink somehow morphed into Tink dressed as other characters when my daughter started showing a distinct preference for the Tinkerbell movies (she's just a toddler, so while I try to say its "her" collection, my husband corrects me, lol) I have some traders & some sentimental pins, but I really try to keep focused.

We're completists or try to be. There are a zillion Donalds, Belle, Ariels and Dumbos not to mention Patriotic and Animal Kingdom and now Flower and Gardens (Paula you're killing me!). Me-completist and only need 13 Figaro's and 11 Si and Am's (Here kitty, kitty >^..^<)

I started off as one but now I am more lenient with my collection. I used to collect every single pin that featured Alice, but there are just some UGLY pins out there! haha So I only collect pins that feature Alice and are decent looking. :)

I also tried to collect pins with Ariel & Eric together BUT a few favorite solo Ariel’s have crept there way in as well.

I'm happy to see so many responses! Now I have another question for you guys, specifically the completists! If there was an ugly pin, and I mean horribly ugly (like the Jessica Rabbit snowman one (in the ugliest pin thread)) would you buy/trade for it or would the horridness of the pin make you go blind and you'd say, "eh, not that one?" I know that there are some ugly pins out there, and I was wondering if you'd even want those in your collection.

By the way, from the pictures of people's collections that I have seen (especially those focusing on a specific character like Stitch) they look amazing. It's cool to see so many pins based off a character(s) all together like that. Beats looking at them on pinpics!

- Alex

I'm happy to see so many responses! Now I have another question for you guys, specifically the completists! If there was an ugly pin, and I mean horribly ugly (like the Jessica Rabbit snowman one (in the ugliest pin thread)) would you buy/trade for it or would the horridness of the pin make you go blind and you'd say, "eh, not that one?" I know that there are some ugly pins out there, and I was wondering if you'd even want those in your collection.

By the way, from the pictures of people's collections that I have seen (especially those focusing on a specific character like Stitch) they look amazing. It's cool to see so many pins based off a character(s) all together like that. Beats looking at them on pinpics!

- Alex

If you are a completist then yes, you would get even the ugliest of pins. :)

Like IamDisneyDan, I too grew up from 1 to 51 with DLR, so I'm partial to the Anaheim Haunted Mansion and it's pins. Although I do let myself get a few WDW HM & Phantom Manor pins sometimes! But most of my spare funds go to DLR HM pins.

For me, it's just about anything Jessica, but in particular the DA LE100s and other low edition pins. I am a semi-completist as I would love to have most of the others.

Debby has limited her collecting to the next pretty pin she sees...lol!!! But really, she goes mainly for Jiminy, HM (HHG, Constance, Madam Leota, Mansions), Belle, Alice, Castles, Walt, Tink, Stitch, Up, C&D, holiday pins, mystery sets, just about anything WDI...OH!!! those are the next pretty pins she sees!!!!

As far as the ugly pins, count Debby out, remember it's the "next pretty pin she sees". That having been said, she reminded me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Since I am only a semi-completist, I reserve the option to collect or not collect the ugly ones depending on how ugly they are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back