• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Collection Dilemma. Thoughts anyone???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collection Dilemma. Thoughts anyone???

snazzybowtie

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
So I have been a die hard Maleficent fan for about 3 years now, but over the past 8 or 9 months I have been straying away and collecting Alice pins. I just haven't been excited about a Maleficent pin in a long time, but Alice pins have been so much fun to find and to trade for! And my collection has been growing immensely!

So my dilemma is: do I give up Maleficent and focus on Alice??

Of course I would keep my favorite Maleficent pins, but I just don't love collecting her anymore and I would rather expand my Alice collection. I just don't know whether to stop collecting Maleficent completely or just put her on hold or put all my Maleficents on my trades list. I need advice!

Thanks for your input in advance.

Austin

I cant imagine u not collecting maleficent!!!!

I think you should just put her on hold - no need to giver her up completely - you can have a good girl and bad girl collection :0)

One of the great things about pin trading is that there is no right or wrong way to collect these shiny pieces of metal. IMO, since you don't love collecting Maleficent and would rather expand your Alice collection, I think you should do exactly that. Pin collecting should be fun, and if you aren't having a blast and loving the pins you're acquiring, why are you doing it?

As far as what you should do with your Maleficent collection ... that's not as easy a decision to make. I definitely wouldn't part with any of your favorite pins. Just because you aren't actively collecting her at the moment doesn't mean that you need to trade every single - or every - Maleficent pin in your collection. What I would do ... especially considering how popular a character she is ... is just put your Maleficent pins away (on the back burner, if you will) for a while (a few months, a year, the time doesn't really matter) so you can focus on your Alice collection and have time to think about how you really feel about those Mallie pins. With time away from not collecting Maleficent, one of several scenarios probably will emerge:

1. You may realise that you miss collecting Maleficent so much that you return to collecting her immediately

2. You may decide that you want to continue collecting Maleficent, but only selectively - and that may include keeping some of your current collection and trading off part of it

3. You may decide that you're so done with Maleficent and just trade off your entire collection

But my point is that, considering how hard some Maleficent pins trade, once you trade them away or sell them, you may have a very difficult time getting them back (if you can at all). I'd recommend taking some time and being sure that's what you want to do before you break up a collection that you've put together over 3 years. Breaking something up takes no time at all, but putting it back together can be difficult-to-impossible - and you don't want to make a decision that you'll end up regretting.

Or you could focus on both Alice and Maleficent. Nowhere is it written that you only can have one collection. :)

One of the great things about pin trading is that there is no right or wrong way to collect these shiny pieces of metal. IMO, since you don't love collecting Maleficent and would rather expand your Alice collection, I think you should do exactly that. Pin collecting should be fun, and if you aren't having a blast and loving the pins you're acquiring, why are you doing it?

As far as what you should do with your Maleficent collection ... that's not as easy a decision to make. I definitely wouldn't part with any of your favorite pins. Just because you aren't actively collecting her at the moment doesn't mean that you need to trade every single - or every - Maleficent pin in your collection. What I would do ... especially considering how popular a character she is ... is just put your Maleficent pins away (on the back burner, if you will) for a while (a few months, a year, the time doesn't really matter) so you can focus on your Alice collection and have time to think about how you really feel about those Mallie pins. With time away from not collecting Maleficent, one of several scenarios probably will emerge:

1. You may realise that you miss collecting Maleficent so much that you return to collecting her immediately

2. You may decide that you want to continue collecting Maleficent, but only selectively - and that may include keeping some of your current collection and trading off part of it

3. You may decide that you're so done with Maleficent and just trade off your entire collection

But my point is that, considering how hard some Maleficent pins trade, once you trade them away or sell them, you may have a very difficult time getting them back (if you can at all). I'd recommend taking some time and being sure that's what you want to do before you break up a collection that you've put together over 3 years. Breaking something up takes no time at all, but putting it back together can be difficult-to-impossible - and you don't want to make a decision that you'll end up regretting.

Or you could focus on both Alice and Maleficent. Nowhere is it written that you only can have one collection. :)

Lol my thoughts exactly. Spoken so eloquently!

Alice is in season right now so to speak and there are a lot of new pins being released for her, so it probably is the more fun collection at the moment because it is hard not to focus on something when it is literally everywhere(I know she is definitely what I've had all my focus on lately!), but don't make any rash decisions and give up all your HTF Maleficents until you know for sure you're done. If you give them up, you might not get them back just like dancecats said. Don't just jump the fence because you know you'll improve your traders by doing so; you might seriously regret it in the long run, especially having been committed to her for so long.

Last edited:
The problem with collecting just one character, is that they tend to repeat poses over and over (as recently mentioned on one of the boards by an Ursula collector). I would imagine that this is especially true of Maleficent, since she was only in a few scenes of the movie, and interacted with so few other characters. So I could see where it would become somewhat boring if you only collected Maleficent.

Alice, on the other hand, interacted with tons of (extremely unique) characters, and each scene contained a new, very visually appealing background. So Alice pins in general are more visually interesting. I think it's great that you have expanded your collection!

As for what you should do with your Maleficent pins, that has to be your decision. But as you know, there are plenty of people who actively collect more than one character! As a Pixar pin collector, I know I will never be able to collect every pin of every character from all 13 Pixar movies. Therefore, I can afford to be a bit choosy about which pins I want, rather than feeling like I HAVE to buy a pin that I don't like, just because it's a character I collect. So I definitely think you could benefit from keeping your Maleficents.

But again, only you know what will make you happy. Not just what will make you happy right now, but what will make you happy down the road as well. For instance, six months from now when a really nice Maleficent comes out, or one of your old grails falls into your lap. Will you be thankful that you still have a large Maleficent collection to add it to, or will you hardly be able to wait to come home and add it to PinPics as one of your traders, in hopes of getting that next Alice pin?

Good luck with deciding.

I would put Maleficent on hold for now while you want to concentrate on Alice pins as I put stitch pins on hold when I started to focus on UP pins. Yes I missed out on a few stitch pins that I could of purchased etc but I didnt regret putting stitch on hold. It is worth it at the end of the day if you truly want to collect the alice pins.

Just go back to Maleficent when you feel like you can get a pin or 2 from time to time off your wants list.

Just a word of advice, Alice is very hard to collect. I've been waiting four+ years for some of the pins. So don't toss out Maleficent just yet. I find that I collect Alice as my main collection - above all others, but I do collect other characters. This is Alice's 60th anniversary so there are a lot of alice pins being released. After this year, probably not so much. Then your focus will shift to the older pins and those are nearly impossible or very expensive. Just go with your gut, but hang on to your current collection for at least a year.

I had same dilemna when I gave up Figment. I just didn't love it anymore and chose to trade them. I have not looked back! (although I didn't have as much time invested as you do)

I would be interested in purchasing/trading for your Malie pins!

LOL Sell them austin all to meeeeeeeeeee jk but if ya do ya know I will buy them up. I think you should hold on to them as you know how hard it is to get them.

I agree with pretty much everything everyone's already said here :lol:

I took up collecting Alice because there haven't been any new Tangled pins released (seriously Disney, what are you waiting for!?) and like you've said all the pins are great! I would put Maleficent on hold for now. When I first started I only collected Chip and Dale. Now I have all these side collections that I love :)

Thank you all so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. :)

It is so true about a ton of the pins looking the same, and I think that is why I got a little bored with Maleficent. But from reading what you guys have to say, I think I will just put her on hold. I don't want to be rash and just get rid of them because I worked so hard to get so many of them (and spent far too much). I have been thinking about this for awhile, but not nearly long enough.

I know that you can collect more than one character, but I always find myself leaning towards one or another. I think the reason why I am even asking this is because when I started collecting pins I just needed a focus because my collection was everywhere and I personally needed a goal to achieve. I liked Maleficent, so I went with it. But after trading for a few years I stumbled into Alice pins while trying to help a friend with his collection. I traded for around 10 of them and when I traded them to him, I found myself missing them and almost liking them more than my Maleficents. It was strange and I battled it for months, until one day I realized I was only fooling myself and I had at least 20 Alice pins to my name, so I gave in. And this was all before the Alice un-event, so I got interested then as Mackenzie said "Alice is in season" and Disney released a ton of pins for the 60th annversary which was fuel on the fire. So, I'm glad I got into Alice before the un-event and all the new craze for her because it lets me know I'm not just following a trend. However, I know that all of these new releases have been so exciting and once they are gone, like Margaret said, I'll be chasing the older pins and those are just too hard for me and my budget. So it may be too rash to jump into Alice only and get rid of my Maleficents because who knows how I will feel about either in next few years.

If you enjoy collecting then I think it is always good to have a couple going at a time. That way, when you hit a wall with one you can turn your focus to another and make some progress there. For me, my main focus is DA Stitches but trading for the ones I need is almost non-existent now so it has really slowed down. Because of that, I've been picking up some other stuff lately, PTN's, piece of movies, core characters, etc.

Originally posted by erudolf
If you enjoy collecting then I think it is always good to have a couple going at a time. That way, when you hit a wall with one you can turn your focus to another and make some progress there. For me, my main focus is DA Stitches but trading for the ones I need is almost non-existent now so it has really slowed down. Because of that, I've been picking up some other stuff lately, PTN's, piece of movies, core characters, etc.

So true. I didn't think of that.

Hey Austin,
And next you are gonna tell me you are changing your screen name.
Come on man. I have contributed to that collection of yours (trades) and you are just getting side tracked. You are lucky your girlfriend allows you to have another woman in your life, but now 2? And Alice is cute, I think she allowed Malificent because, well, come on, she is green and scary.

Malificent stays and Alice keeps her in line.

Why limit yourself? Maybe just be more selective about which Maleficents you keep or collect? And the same with Alice? There sure are a lot more Alices about these days, for sure. But pins trend all the time.

Keep your Maleficent faves!

I'm a Maleficent lover, and I'm really selective about the Maleficent pins I pick up. Some of them I don't feel depict her correctly, especially the way her face is drawn. But if I were in your shoes, I think I would hold on to the special pins I love and sell/trade the others that I'm willing to part with to acquire the wanted Alice pins.

So you can sell/trade them to -MOI-! I'd be interested in seeing what you would be willing to let go of!

:bowdown:

Hi Austin,
you are doing similar to what I am doing:lol: I collect Tbell and some princess pins. We went to DL recently and I could not find any interesting pins of Tbell or princess'. Instead I found some interesting pins of villains--so now I am collecting villains:lol: as well. I am keeping my other pin collections but I think it is interesting to change the routine now and then:wavey:

Originally posted by iamdisneydan
Hey Austin,
And next you are gonna tell me you are changing your screen name.
Come on man. I have contributed to that collection of yours (trades) and you are just getting side tracked. You are lucky your girlfriend allows you to have another woman in your life, but now 2? And Alice is cute, I think she allowed Malificent because, well, come on, she is green and scary.

Malificent stays and Alice keeps her in line.​

hahah! You are too funny Dan! There is no way that I would change my name. It's just too much fun and has too much history. :) And yeah, I'm glad she lets me keep collecting the girls. :)

I am getting a little sidetracked, but I love it. :) And if I do wind up saying farewell to Maleficent I'll keep in mind those people on the boards who love her. I would only want to trade/sell them if I knew they were going to good homes. :)

:lol:
You do totally have a theme here between the two of them!
"Whiney Little Girls"
Maleficent didn't get invited to the cristening of Aurora, Alice has lost her personal identity in this far-out confusing world...
& they both kinda lose their cool.
hahahha, it totally works!

:)

I'm kind of in the same place with Alice of all things, but also my other character collections (Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo). I have considered once or twice, trading them or selling them, but I know I could never do it. I have too many people trained to buy them for me, and I'm not bored with them, they are some of my favorite pins. And I've been collecting Alice thingamabobs for almost 13 years, to give her up in pins would just be crazy. It's just I know they are so popular right now, that adding to them through secondary sources will be more "costly" than I am normally comfortable with. So I continue to get them when I can pick them up at cost, but I don't go out of my way to trade for them. I keep private pin groups for the ones I don't have, so if someone is interested in a pin I have, but they don't have something on my main wants list, I know what I'm looking for.

i agree w/what most are saying.but yes alice is VERY HARD TO COLLECT!!!! if people know your an alice collector its like an inventation to try and get as much out of you as possible.at least thats my opinion.i collect other characters as well so i wouldnt give up on your og girl.like others have said alice is trendy right now,but who knows for how long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back