• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DPF 10th Anniversary Giveaway #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I selected these three pins because they each have a meaning in my pin collecting journey.

1. The DCL Cruise Line Chip and Dale is the very first pin I collected. This was shortly after I finished working for Disney and joined my BFF/former roommate who was a CM on the ship. This was when pin trading was fairly new and I thought it was a cute was to commemorate my trip. Little did I know that commemorative gift would grow into a hobby!
2. I took a break from Disney for a while but in 2012 I started a new job and was introduced to the company's receptionist as "some who loves Disney like you do." The next thing I knew, she and I (along with her wonderful husband and darling daughter) were globe trotting to Disney parks around the world. Her hubby is also the one the reinvigorated my pin trading hobby. The first pin they gave me as a gift was the Disney Piece of Spectromagic Queen of Hearts. This was to commemorate the time I got to perform as "a friend of the Queen of Hearts" in the parade during my tenure at WDW.
3. The first time I visited the Magic Kingdom in 1977 (yes, a LONG time ago) my aunt tried to take me on Haunted Mansion. I remember laying on the ground screaming and crying because I was too scared to go in and she just laughed at me before dragging me off the ground and into the ride. Naturally, I wound up loving it and it's been my favorite ride ever since. I can't go to the parks without riding it at least twice and I make it point to always make it my last ride of the day at MK. While this pin isn't exactly sentimental, it's from my Haunted Mansion collection that shows off my love for all 999 of those Grim Grinning Ghosts!

925b79077e4a0e79387f65dcf4eab43d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Opp.1

I love Princess and the Frog, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast pins. I have side collections too many to count. I’m a Disney Renaissance movie girl and have a few pins from each movie hiding somewhere. I will go crazy for mystery collections that I like even buying 10 boxes at one time to complete the set. But not a single pin in any of those categories is my most sentimental pin.

My most sentimental pin is
878d412d3ac8a24aa8f413531ee9f75a.jpg

Wait! Sarah likes Maleficent? This is the only Mali pin that I own outside the odd one from a mystery set. Even if I sold off or traded away all my collections, this pin would remain because the person who gave it to me.

Let me tell you the story:

My sister (TangledUpInIce) has 4 boys. The second youngest, C, has always been more shy and less likely to interact with cast members than the other kids. In summer 2015, the family went to WDW when he was five. We all picked out a Hidden Mickey set (or two) that we wanted to find except C. This was the summer of the Hidden Mickey Candy Apples and Princess Cell Phones so the search was serious. C would watch while everyone would pin trade but rarely did he talk to anyone or trade.

We had eaten breakfast at Kona cafe - Tonga toast is a family favorite - when the kids spotted a cast member with a green lanyard by the upstairs gift shop. It was toward the end of the trip, and they didn’t want to trade their pins so they asked me for pins. I gave each one (including C) pins so they could trade. My niece and older nephew were both trying very hard to see who could finish the apples first.

The green lanyards were for kids so the adults stayed back a few yards, and let the kids go talk to the cast member and trade on their own. The kids talked to the cast member and traded before walking back to us. C usually brought back the pin I gave him or put it in his pocket instead of trading though he liked being next to his brothers and cousin when they traded.

Instead of giving me back the pin I had given him, he gave me this pin. He said he traded it for me because it was big and shiny. He was so proud that he traded for it for me. I really adore this pin and it’s on a bulletin board that I see everyday.

#2 - This one is hard! There are so many good ones! But here are three pins that represent me:

201603131496.png

I am a safety consultant by profession, and back in April I reached the ten-year anniversary with my company.

pin23405

I'm a California girl born and raised, and really can't see myself living anywhere else. It has its problems but it has lots of good qualities as well. It's one of the most progressive states, all of my immediate family lives here, and I love that from where I live, you can get to SO MUCH within a three-hour radius (beach, mountains, desert, lake, city, rural area, etc.). I love this pin in particular because Daisy is my #1 Fab Five character.

RS_R30d14719bb.png

I identify as asexual and aromantic (basically I don't have romantic or sexual attraction to anyone, though I have lots of platonic love for my friends and family!). Disney doesn't have any official asexual pride pins so I've adopted playing card aces as my version of pride pins, since a very common abbreviation for asexual people is "aces." I have several lovely ace pins, but I chose this one because after getting a horrible number at the release I thought it would forevermore be too expensive to justify getting. But the amazing @maiarebecca not only traded her to me, but also at a value that I could justify for one of my secondary collections. So it's a reminder of just how supportive, helpful, and wonderful this pin community is.

I'm going to try to use pins that I own, though I have some in storage so it's a no-go for pics. This first one symbolizes two factors: my birthplace in Naples Italy, and that I'm also an identical twin. I'm pretty sure the ruins in the background are Pompei which is on my list of places to visit if I ever return there.

b1470e3d0d5119dc3bb73d33c2c85f59.jpg

The second pin actually got zapped to me not too long ago, it's one of my favorite pins. My wife and I met in musical theater/choir in college, I love the fact that the two singers from the haunted mansion graveyard are featured in this pin. It's funny that @FoolishMortal71 would mention riding the Haunted Mansion as their last ride of the night; during my tenure as a CM, I would ride the Haunted Mansion alot after I got off work as it it would usually be on the my way to the bus-stop behind Fantasyland. I can still recall a few times of the HM host's deadpan voice calling for the last stretch room show of the night...

9f02f20d88fb5cb88cc90b423b2fd379.png

The last pin featured represents my time with Main Street Operations on PAC when I was a College Program CM. My rotation saw the transition from Spectromagic back to the Main Street Electrical Parade. Now that Wishes(and even Illuminations) have been retired, none of the parades/fireworks are the same from when I was there. They'll all be dearly missed...
a33994db12885507fac6868f0345eaed.jpg

Last edited:
OPP 1

pin29511th200

This pin means the world to me. It was the first pin I ever traded for and of course it represents my twins. I have been a member here for a lot of years bu tI havent been as active lately. This pin reminds me of that moment that we found out we were expecting twins. It was such a chock. I had done an ultrasound earlier in the pregnance and they said nothing about it beeing 2 then so it wasnt even in our minds that it could be twins. Anyway we were of course super happy. The pregnancy was not an easy one and the twins decided it was time to be bord 2 1/2 month pre mature. We spent a lot of time in the hospital and they had some complications but in the end it worked out great. today my identical twin girls are 16 years old and they have grown up to be 2 beautifyl young ladies and I love them more than my own life.

Ditto! We have twin girls (adults) and this pin is also one very, very close to my heart! Snoffsan, we've also met each other at CJDPT Weekend!
[FYI - This doesn't count as my post...but couldn't help responding]

Opportunity 2

Three pins that represent me....
1. I am a very short lady...under five feet and identify so much with this Tinker Bell pin - a wonderful Xmas in July pin from @TonkaToy. If I were to be a cast member, I would want the job of playing Tinker Bell just before the fireworks, zip lining across Fantasyland with my sparkling wand. I don't think they do that in the parks anymore, but they did when I went to Disneyland as a kid. Yes, that was many decades ago...
2. I am lucky enough to have known my husband for 40 years...and as of September, we'll celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary...although not as originally planned, as we had ourselves booked on the DCL Transatlantic 10 day cruise ending in NYC. We also have adult twin girls...and that perfect pin was highlighted earlier in the thread by @Snoffsan
3. I am a geeky scientist, with a specialty in Infectious Disease. No, I am not kidding. And, since the twin pin was taken, I'm just going to pay homage to both by mixing it up a little with this twin Mickey scientist pin

pin66206
pin24299
s-l1600.jpg

Op#2:

1. This Meet the Robinsons pin represents the philosophy that my family has adopted despite the challenges we have been presented with individually and collectively. We keep moving forward.
2. This pin of The Great Movie Ride embodies the love I have for classical movies like Singing in The Rain, and Casa Blanca.
3. The last pin is the lovely I Collect Stitch pin, which shows him being his usual naughty self, just like me.
60a137be6ddc50044cce7d6d52c9709c.jpg
fe37738591620a9b75757c10c9c39e98.jpg
d7d3a03f45ba8f5dbc45b559bf28a19f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Opp #1:

This is ONE of my most sentimental pins. (Cause there are several we all have!).
My mom would read me A. A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh books when I was little, and I have a soft spot in my heart for Pooh and all his friends. Plus my best friend from high school, and still my best friend today, would exchange notes with me and I would sign mine Pootie Bear (fairly direct influence). And finally, this image is just ...so perfectly rendered. Their poses and expressions are exactly those of friends who love each other and love being around each other.
3f84bcdd7126eccea987aee0dff6e4ed.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Opp #2

Three Pins to Describe Me

I love the Disney Princesses. My sister gave me this pin a few years ago. This pin shows ladies from three of my favorite movies (and largest pin collections) and reminds me that I get to share this cool hobby with family. I’m the person who still buys notebooks with the Disney Princesses on it and uses them to take notes at meetings.
73715b0050113e07cdabc84ed1e1d562.jpg

Belle is probably my favorite princess because she loves to read so much and dreams of adventure somewhere. I’ve always loved reading and will read a wide variety of genres and topics though fairy tails & fantasy are favorites. I became a teacher (which I love). I’ve taught many grades and different subjects as needed, but reading has always been my favorite to teach. The Belle Teacher’s Day pin which shows her explaining part of the story to the sheep celebrates teachers.

6878ea9f85afec20cbc86a2571947603.jpg

I really like the whole concept of pin trading - talking with others, exchanging pins, sharing stories, and making new friends. The family likes collecting and trading pins, and it’s an activity that connects us. It’s one of the best parts of a WDW vacation. I love pin trading with King Pin from Animal Kingdom Lodge. This pin shows pin trading (one of my favorite hobbies).
bc1e8f1c04b9c7dd0791d0af2d59730c.jpg

Opp #1
Marie
I picked this pin to post because it was the first one that my little one ever picked out. It started her love for pin collecting and trading. We had just gotten off splash, one of our favorite attractions and decided to check out the merch. Out of no where she asks to get the Marie pin pictured. And honestly such an odd choice for her, she’s not a cat person, had never seen the movie and doesn’t like pink or really glittery things. But that’s her, always keeps you guessing! Either way it started out pin trading/collecting adventure and it’s been such a great father, daughter activity. Also thanks for doing this! Love this community!

These are the three pins that represent our little family. The Lilo stands for me because I've always identified with her and her scene with her feeding pudge is my favorite Disney scene. The Paperman pins reminds me of my husband and how we met at an unexpected time but still managed to fall in love because he is my true soulmate. The Dumbo pin represents my littles as Mama Jumbo would do anything to protect her baby.

v3uUYWj.png

Opp #2:
The first pin here is Chip and Dale. I collect these guys 1. Cause they're cool! and 2. Cause they remind me of my two sons-they may bicker and get on each other's nerves, and purposefully irritate each other, but also love each other and are brothers and friends. (Moreso the older they get, lol). This pin also has a koinobori, or a carp windsock, which I *also* collect pins of! When I was little, my family would take trips to Morro Bay in CA to go to the beach and wander through the shops. The kite shop was one of my favorite places, because I loved the giant fish streamers blowing in the wind outside of their shop. Koinobori remind of the trips to Morro Bay, and they are also symbols of Boy's Day in Japan, which I leaned after I was a mom-which gave them even greater meaning for me.

Next is Piglet in his older style, like the illustrations in Milne's books my mother would read to me. I am very much like piglet...a worry-wart. And he's holding a horn! I played trumpet from forth grade through the end of college, even met my husband in marching band. So that has a sentimental meaning for me. Plus, this particular pin was a zap from a dpf member!

And Sally. NBC is my favorite movie, hands down, and a few years ago hubby and I took our boys to one of the Halloween showings of the movie at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood. It was pretty awesome. I saw this pin after that trip, and had to have it! I still have our popcorn bucket that matches the one she's holding.
ee1812627fcbf99d5bf3f64da8533a8e.jpg

Opp #3
It goes without saying that NO one will post these pics anywhere else, right? ... Right????

So, here's Prince John. And here's me with overgrown bangs hanging over my eyes like his crown and a towel for my royal robe, lol. Couldn't pull my ear cause I had to hold my phone... Cause no one else was here to take the picture. I mean, sure, hubby was in the other room, but that's such a far distance to have to walk, you know?
c7a030a9fb7f482d5045aa77f0c8df41.jpg
8035497b164a6ed95fc9da67dfdd0aeb.jpg

Opportunity 1: Tell us a story about you and your pins

Hmm, I really like my pins and to narrow it down to what pin means the most to me is very difficult. As you know, I am a Mulan collector (along with @bcol @LittleBird @stitchismyspiritanimal ) so you would be very surprised to hear that this pin that means so much to me is not a Mulan pin, but a Mickey pin.

I traded for this pin with @this_and_that at a local Inland Empire pin meet that I set up years ago. I like art and this one really spoke to me after watching the Pierce Brosnan-Rene Russo remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair."

35647_big.jpg

Entering for Opp 1

Little summer always loved the ocean and its creatures; particularly cephalopods. My family would go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and tidepooling as often as possible due to how much I loved them. My childhood dream was to be a sea creature until my teacher let me know humans can't survive underwater. They did helpfully tell me one could be a marine biologist and study them. All throughout my childhood I was determined to be a marine biologist; specifically a teuthologist. I wanted to be the first person to get footage of a giant squid. I have always loved them and was the kid who would root for the monster in monster movies.

Circumstances work out sometimes and I did get to intern with a scientist studying much smaller squids at a local research institute. It helped me realize that my dream career wasn't compatible with my other life dream; which was having a family and my health would have prevented me from being at sea for long periods of time. I decided not to become a marine biologist but my love for squids never diminished. I got back into pin trading as an adult and was obsessed with finding this pin. It was the original piece of Disney history from 2005 of the Submarine Voyage attraction. It was the only place as a kid I could meet an actual giant squid.

I managed to snag one a year or two ago and now it holds a special place in my heart. It reminds me to always dream big, keep your imagination open, and to never lose the childhood awe and wonder of looking at the world. Also I mean it's pretty darn cool looking too with that gorgeous squid coming for snack.

5S4xTjt.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back