• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DPF 10th Anniversary Giveaway #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
DPF 10th Anniversary Giveaway #3
Entering for Opp 1

Little summer always loved the ocean and its creatures; particularly cephalopods. My family would go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and tidepooling as often as possible due to how much I loved them. My childhood dream was to be a sea creature until my teacher's let me know humans can't survive underwater. They did helpfully tell me one could be a marine biologist and study them. All throughout my childhood I was determined to be a marine biologist; specifically a teuthologist. I wanted to be the first person to get footage of a giant squid. I have always loved them and was the kid who would root for the monster in monster movies.

Circumstances work out sometimes and I did get to intern with a scientist studying much smaller squids at a local research institute. It helped me realize that my dream career wasn't compatible with my other life dream; which was having a family and my health would have prevented me from being at sea for long periods of time. I decided not to become a marine biologist but my love for squids never diminished. I got back into pin trading as an adult and was obsessed with finding this pin. It was the original piece of Disney history from 2005 of the Submarine Voyage attraction. It was the only place as a kid I could meet an actual giant squid.

I managed to snag one a year or two ago and now it holds a special place in my heart. It reminds me to always dream big, keep your imagination open, and to never lose the childhood awe and wonder of looking at the world. Also I mean it's pretty darn cool looking too with that gorgeous squid coming for snack.

5S4xTjt.png
This explains your pinpics picture!

GAME CLOSED!

Oh my Mickey! Thank you to all who played along! I haven’t smiled and awwwed and laughed and teared up so much in quite a while!

I’m working on updating the entries list and will get with a mod to run our drawing tomorrow. I wish I had prizes for everyone!!! Best of luck to you all!

Oh, and I promise not to share photos... no matter how cute they are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife (4yrs) and I (retired) are both Navy Veterans, so we always look for Patriotic pins. Down side of the pins is there are not a lot of pins depicting women.
No we didn't meet in the service. Met in the back of an ambulance, both responding to a call.

wqUEvRi.jpg
Back of an ambulance, what a romantic place to meet, lol!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Opp.1

I love Princess and the Frog, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast pins. I have side collections too many to count. I’m a Disney Renaissance movie girl and have a few pins from each movie hiding somewhere. I will go crazy for mystery collections that I like even buying 10 boxes at one time to complete the set. But not a single pin in any of those categories is my most sentimental pin.

My most sentimental pin is
878d412d3ac8a24aa8f413531ee9f75a.jpg

Wait! Sarah likes Maleficent? This is the only Mali pin that I own outside the odd one from a mystery set. Even if I sold off or traded away all my collections, this pin would remain because the person who gave it to me.

Let me tell you the story:

My sister (TangledUpInIce) has 4 boys. The second youngest, C, has always been more shy and less likely to interact with cast members than the other kids. In summer 2015, the family went to WDW when he was five. We all picked out a Hidden Mickey set (or two) that we wanted to find except C. This was the summer of the Hidden Mickey Candy Apples and Princess Cell Phones so the search was serious. C would watch while everyone would pin trade but rarely did he talk to anyone or trade.

We had eaten breakfast at Kona cafe - Tonga toast is a family favorite - when the kids spotted a cast member with a green lanyard by the upstairs gift shop. It was toward the end of the trip, and they didn’t want to trade their pins so they asked me for pins. I gave each one (including C) pins so they could trade. My niece and older nephew were both trying very hard to see who could finish the apples first.

The green lanyards were for kids so the adults stayed back a few yards, and let the kids go talk to the cast member and trade on their own. The kids talked to the cast member and traded before walking back to us. C usually brought back the pin I gave him or put it in his pocket instead of trading though he liked being next to his brothers and cousin when they traded.

Instead of giving me back the pin I had given him, he gave me this pin. He said he traded it for me because it was big and shiny. He was so proud that he traded for it for me. I really adore this pin and it’s on a bulletin board that I see everyday.

Great story!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My oldest son stopped talking/babbling at about 18 months old, and was diagnosed with autism, but started talking again at 5 years old. Last school year he was staying at a dorm at a local university, so keep giving your older son all the love you can, and all the help he needs, and who knows how things will turn out?
Thank you for sharing your wonderful story! Our little man has been making some big gains since his brother was born. We hope that as he sees his baby brother do more, he will also make some connections on the skills. He is such a character and has a great personality. We hope that he will be able to be as successful as your son is.

And our winner is ......

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

fba7ff612693a737c8b502b186115d51.jpg

giphy.gif

CONGRATULATIONS @LadyBarclay !!!

giphy.gif

Please let me know if you’d like to trade out any items with similar items from my traders (PinPics: nateeter - I just got extras of Mulan, and Jasmine Animator’s Collection if you want to switch Tink or Aurora), and I’ll pm you for your address so I can get them out to you this next week.

Thank you again to everyone for playing along. Our DPF community really transforms this “hobby” to “family”! I am so grateful to have found you!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back