• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Completed Game: DPF Anniversary Giveaway #16

Completed Game: DPF Anniversary Giveaway #16
THIS IS SO HARD!

When I was a kid I watched Lion King, Aladdin, and Little Mermaid over and over and over, and when I took up babysitting, the kids I watched often pushed me into watching these three as well. But I have to say that even though Mulan is probably my favorite of those movies now, The Rescuers is the one I have the fondest memories of. It took me close to a year to see it in full, because we didn't own it, and I would only ever catch bits and pieces of it at a time on TV. When I finally did see it, I remember loving Wilbur - I had found him annoying in the bits I had seen - so much more, and really finding something to relate to in Bernard's underdog story. He was never entirely confident in himself - neither was (or am) I - yet he still came out on top.

Lots of memories... Thanks for the game and the chance to share them!

My favorite Renaissance movie (and movie in general) is The Lion King. It has gorgeous animation, a stellar voice cast, incredibly memorable songs, and truly one of the most evil villains in all of Disney. (He pushed his own brother to his death and ordered the death of his nephew to achieve power, then used that power to drive the kingdom into an almost irreparable state of decay.)

Plus, it has my #1 favorite character of all time, one I feel a great kinship towards. Except for not being an insectivore, I am basically Timon IRL - short, sarcastic, willing to go the extra mile to help a friend in need, often feeling like the "weird one" in large group settings, no romantic interests, an affinity for costumes...

(An aside - when Pumbaa rescues Timon and Zazu from the hyenas, he shouts "They call me Mr. Pig!" This is a reference to In the Heat of the Night, which was written by my great uncle. :3 My grandma, his sister, loved the movie because of that.)

They're all really great movies. Certainly Beauty and the Beast is a great choice. After all, they created the whole animated movie academy award due to it. (And it got gipped out of the "regular" movie award.) But I think my favorite is Aladdin. There's all sorts of great stuff in it and reasons to love it, but top of the list for me is the songs. And specifically the Genie's songs. I find myself just randomly singing them to myself from time to time. "You ain't never head a friend, never had a friend..." or "Genuflect, show some respect, down on one knee..." I just love 'em.

I love The Lion King reason is , I love the music and the story that it tells about how to keep and make good choices about the environment and to make new friends, the scenery is great in the movie as well.

Not a lot of people bringing up one of the best movies... MULAN!!
The soundtrack when she decides to take her fathers place in war = AMAZING. The songs especially "I'll Make a Man Out of You" being so memorable and fun = AMAZING. Mulan being a strong and smart woman who saves China and proves herself to everyone = AMAZING. Mulan being voiced by the amazing Ming-Na Wen who I love = AMAZING!!
(And its's a movie that didn't deserve such a bad remake but thats something else.)
620569-disney-mulan.jpg

Plus it gave us this great scene!!

Last edited:
Without question, The Lion King. My dad took me to see it at midnight when we were on a road trip, in a very small town called Pine Top, Arizona. I was hooked. We ate so much Burger King so I could get all the toys. Simba has always stayed one of my favorite Disney characters.

Mine is Rescuers Down Under out of all of them. I like that it actually didn't look like a typical Disney movie. But I also really like that it was in another country, in the beginning. Australia was by far out of my reach in my mind. Ironically it is the only stamp in my passport!

Okay, so my favorite is probably easy to guess... Beauty and The Beast!
When I was little, I loved it because I thought Belle looked like me. I also loved that all of the objects came alive and had personalities! But now that I'm an adult I think I like that it's almost a mystery, and I love mysteries! It's a mystery that Belle feels like she must understand and get to the bottom of, which I think is so fun! Also, Belle has quite a few outfit changes in the movie which I adore.

Of the movies I grew up with, Aladdin is probably the most I remember the most. We had a drive-in theatre near where I lived so when we got good attendance/behavior points at school we got free entrances so we got to go regularly as I had a big family. Aladdin was one that was shown on the big screen(of 3) so I recall an affair of my family and cousins packing into the van and watching with sound coming through the radio. Living in So Cal, anything Disney was huge and I believe I even dressed up as a generic genie that Halloween due in part of it. Years later and no joke, during my CP at WDW I took part in the Entertainment audition if I was to extend my program and was commented on my somewhat likeness to Aladdin; but I didn't get past the initial audition stage...

If there is a film I didn't initially like but grew to love, I think that would be the Hunchback of Notre-dame. Even if it was a much toned down version of the book, it was easy to appreciate the nuances and artistry that the Disney version offered. I even remember my high school art teacher had posters of Notre-dame/gargoyles from the movie around her desk.

Last edited:
There are a lot of good arguments for every movie. Donny Osmond's amazing "I'll Make a Man Out of You", the stunning ballroom scene from Beauty and the Beast, and the deception of Ursula as Vanessa in the Little Mermaid. Let's not forget the amazing Robin Williams as Genie in Aladdin, a bright light where otherwise I would run out of the room petrified of Jafar. I have so many good memories of these movies from all the time I was growing up, and currently I am under the impression that Frollo's song "Hellfire" is one of the best villains song out there. Personally I have always been attracted more to the older movies, but my sister's favourite movie was the Lion King while I would rather watch the princesses or the Aristocats. Pinocchio was my absolute favourite movie as a child!

There was one of these movies though that always touched my heart, and that my friends, is Hercules. It's always held that special place, with Hades' over the top behaviour and the whining of Pain and Panic, the cute little round balls of incompetence. I have always had a soft spot for the historical, especially mythology so obviously it won me over. The muses are also fantastic, and I love the energy of their songs and their attitudes. The exact moment when I fell in love with Hercules was when the strong French Horn started at the beginning of "Go the Distance". Every time I hear it I can feel the same lurch in my chest as it tugs me in, and I always carry with me the feeling that I am on my way to where I belong, that no matter what happens I will go the distance and if I believe in myself that nothing is impossible. I can't tell you how freeing it felt to see someone so strong like Hercules, struggling to find a place to belong and having the faith that there was a place for him. If Hercules could be fearless, proud, and strong facing down his own destiny and troubles, which obviously when he was facing down gods and monsters was far superior to any of the trouble that I could have, then obviously I could be too.

tumblr_mcpvplGJ181r01rvro1_500.gif

Last edited:
As a child, my favorite movie was 100% the Little Mermaid. It was the first Disney movie I saw and I absolutely loved Ariel! I owned so many Ariel dolls, plushies, clothing, etc. Now as an adult, I think she acts like such a spoiled brat! LOL Leaving your whole family behind to be with someone that she just met? I agree with Elsa.

tumblr_mzvhv9DMX01qjqpl4o1_500.jpg

As an adult, my favorite movie is Mulan. She's such a strong, brave, selfless character! Also, I love the songs, especially I'll Make a Man out of You! Mulan is such a badass, she's the role model I want my kids to have :)

giphy.gif

First of all i would like to say a huge thank you for running this game!
It's a VERY hard choice for me to choose just ONE movie from that list because i like quite a lot of those but it has to be ... The Rescuers Down Under, I saw it at the cinema when i was little and it made a great impression on me, It was so sad seeing all the animals caged up and i was so happy when Bianca and Bernard released them all! I think it made my love of animals increase more and i've wanted to help animals ever since so i try and help in any way i can.I loved the cute characters and still do! I then saw The first Rescuers movie and loved that as well.
Little Mermaid,Beauty and the Beast,Aladdin and Mulan are movies i love too from that list.

Not even a hard decision for me .
Aladdin
First Disney movie I ever saw at the cinema , first Disney VHS tape I ever bought (Google VHS kids lol)
Fantastic music , great characters and the truly amazing Robin Williams
giphy.gif

This was a hard one. How can one choose a favorite among those amazing movies?

I think I will have to go with the one that for me has an amazing memory attatched to it.

The Little Mermaid.

It was one of my absolute favorit stories when I was a kid. I made my mom read it to me a million times. Not the Disney version though but the original from HC Anderssen. When I then learned that it would be a movie I was so happy. It was the first movie I went to see in a cinema. That I can remeber at least. And I loved it. But I was so surpriced at the ending. It was not what I was expecting from hearing the original story so many times. However I loved this ending a lot more and it will always have a special meaning to me with all the memories attatched to it.

Tarzan, for me has the best soundtrack of all the Renaissance movies, I've always been enamored with Phil Collins. Not only do I love the soundtrack but I love the movie too. I grew up watching all the different embodiments of Tarzan over the years and this, the Disney version hit me hard. It has a very dramatic plot that employs the love of family so much so that it still brings me to tears.

Kelli

Disney Renaissance Era Movies... really.... makes feel really old

Aladdin is be far is my choice.
I had the pleasure of knowing Robin Williams thru our 5K runs thru the wine country.. A Star or no Star he competed..
I will say he was the best Improv comedian of my generation. Popeye, Good Mourning Vietnam, Mrs Doubtfire are well done.
I still have my Mork & Mindy shows on VHS and have a Mork Egg spaceship in my collection.
I miss him...RIP

They say Robin Williams improvised a lot while making Aladdin. ... At the end of filming, Williams had recorded 16 hours
of improvised material on top of his normal dialogue......... I wish I could see it...

They used to hold a Renaissance faire every year in the Bay Area.. You could dress up as old as you like..
You forgot Star Wars films.... they are Renaissance Era films too .......

old indeed....

Reactions: Ajk
I love all these movies; my trifecta is Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, & Mulan, but I have to say my favorite is:
It's a "tale as old as time" , as many others have said "like the one before", it's "Beauty and the Beast", there's "Something There" about the wonderful story, characters (like "Belle", Beast, and "Gaston"), animation, and music "Be Our Guest". :)

My favorite would be Aladdin, but I barely watch it. Robin William's death was the first celebrity loss that really hit me and I find it really painful to watch the movie.

Beauty and the Beast is the one I enjoy most now. Beautiful music. Gaston in MK really bumped Gaston up my list as one of my favorite characters.

It really is a toss-up between Beauty and the Beast and Mulan.

Beauty and the Beast was probably the first Disney Renaissance movie I watched in the theatres. The songs were great, the performances at the Academy Awards were fabulous. The movie was ROBBED of the Oscar for Best Picture!

Mulan - Disney's first non-white princess :)

Back