• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

FREE GAME! Win a pin! WINNER Zagales! CONGRATULATIONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FREE GAME! Win a pin! WINNER Zagales! CONGRATULATIONS!
Things have been tough for me emotionally, lately. Feeling excluded by former friends, etc. I started reading this thread when it first was posted, and felt like I couldn't contribute anything.

Then I started thinking... my daughter graduated from University in December of 2011 with a major in Linguistics and a minor in Editing. She's been trying to get a full-time job ever since. She works 30hrs a week at a call center for several newspapers, trying to get a foot in the door.

She will be 24 on Saturday and my hubby and I have longed for our empty nest... it's a really small house and our bedroom doors are literally 2 feet apart - across from each other. There is no privacy and zero intimacy. (sorry, hope I'm not crossing the line). We were spoiled having the house to ourselves for 4.5 years while she was away at school. Her brother left before her and is still in school getting a law degree.

Now... I realized that I am a whiny, ungrateful mother. I should be so thankful that my children went to school and are relatively healthy, contributing members of society. People who have lost their children would trade places with me in a heartbeat! I have come to the realization that I'm fortunate that my daughter WANTS to live with us. Society isn't the same as it was when I was her age. You could work at the mall and still live on your own. Today, even with a degree, it's difficult to get a decent job anywhere! Sarah applied for a job along with 155 other people and was in the final 3... but didn't get it.

My tiny house is about to get smaller... my son is coming home for the summer! He'll stay in the family room... we are buying him a bed. He's been gone since 2006 and his room is now a craft/scrapbook room, so the family room is a much better choice. He's fine with it. It's big... lots of movies in there! :)

She will keep trying... I'll keep trying... I love my family and am grateful they love me.

AWWW Nette that was beautiful. The fact that you even think of those that are less than fortunate in comparison shows the type of person you are. Just know the sacrifices of today are the foundation for the successes of tomorrow. There will be a day you will wish that nest wasn't so empty! Take care and thanks for sharing!

Anyone else want to share? It doesn't have to be a story about relationships just something to spread some warm fuzzies. I love reading stories of people who have someone help them or anything just to hear about good deeds being done. Come on people share a little about yourself and maybe win a pin in the process!

I'll share.

My husband and I were quite stupid and immature when we met. We broke up and got back together and fought a lot. We wasted a lot of time on drama and silly stuff. We finally got our act together and then got married. We decided that we most likely didn't want children. I was 27 at the time. I started having pain in my side and after about 8 months, my husband convinced me to see the doctor.
The doctor sent me for testing, bloodwork, MRI, XRay, ultrasounds, etc. They told me I had a cyst but they were pretty sure it was ovarian cancer. All markers in my blood said that it was cancer, the fact that I was so young is the only reason the doctor didn't give me a 100% answer. They told me that they would go in and remove the cyst. If they saw cancer when they went in, they would give me a complete hysterectomy. At 27. I was broken. I thought that I didn't want kids, but seeing my choice taken from me was truly difficult.
I woke up from surgery to hear that I didn't have cancer, but the cyst had strangled one of my ovaries, and they had to remove that ovary. The doctor assured me that with one good ovary, I would still have a chance to have children. Of course, I would only have half as many chances, so the doctor told me to give it a year and a half. I said okay, but inside, I was afraid that I had squandered my chance for a baby.
I went back for my 4 week post-op appointment, and I was pregnant! I will never forget looking at my husband and getting to tell him the news. He look shell-shocked, like he'd been smacked in the head. We laughed and cried. I think of my daughter as my sweet and special miracle, and she brings amazing joy to my life.

I'll share my story too. so in 2004 my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away in May of 2005. I was 12 years old with a twin sister, an 8 year old sister, and my dad. It kind of ruined our family. My little sister turned into an angry kid and my dad started going out with his friends a lot and our relationship became weird. So I never had anyone to talk to about the whole situation...until my college orientation. 3 years ago I met my now boyfriend and he lost his mom in 2009, so now I finally have someone to talk to about how I'm feeling about my mom being gone and he can talk to me about it. It helps to be able to just hug it out and cry a little with someone on mothers day and it's help me a lot with the remainder of my grieving. He's the best and I'm just so happy I have someone who is going through what I am going through.

Last edited:
I'll share.

My husband and I were quite stupid and immature when we met. We broke up and got back together and fought a lot. We wasted a lot of time on drama and silly stuff. We finally got our act together and then got married. We decided that we most likely didn't want children. I was 27 at the time. I started having pain in my side and after about 8 months, my husband convinced me to see the doctor.
The doctor sent me for testing, bloodwork, MRI, XRay, ultrasounds, etc. They told me I had a cyst but they were pretty sure it was ovarian cancer. All markers in my blood said that it was cancer, the fact that I was so young is the only reason the doctor didn't give me a 100% answer. They told me that they would go in and remove the cyst. If they saw cancer when they went in, they would give me a complete hysterectomy. At 27. I was broken. I thought that I didn't want kids, but seeing my choice taken from me was truly difficult.
I woke up from surgery to hear that I didn't have cancer, but the cyst had strangled one of my ovaries, and they had to remove that ovary. The doctor assured me that with one good ovary, I would still have a chance to have children. Of course, I would only have half as many chances, so the doctor told me to give it a year and a half. I said okay, but inside, I was afraid that I had squandered my chance for a baby.
I went back for my 4 week post-op appointment, and I was pregnant! I will never forget looking at my husband and getting to tell him the news. He look shell-shocked, like he'd been smacked in the head. We laughed and cried. I think of my daughter as my sweet and special miracle, and she brings amazing joy to my life.

What an awesome story!!! So glad all was good and you had such great news!!! :D

so in 2004 my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away in May of 2005. I was 12 years old with a twin sister, an 8 year old sister, and my dad. It kind of ruined our family. My little sister turned into an angry kid and my dad started going out with his friends a lot and our relationship became weird. So I never had anyone to talk to about the whole situation...until my college orientation. 3 years ago I met my now boyfriend and he lost his mom in 2009, so now I finally have someone to talk to about how I'm feeling about my mom being gone and he can talk to me about it. It helps to be able to just hug it out and cry a little with someone on mothers day and it's help me a lot with the remainder of my grieving. He's the best and I'm just so happy I have someone who is going through what I am going through.

I know it has been a while, but so sorry to hear about your mom...and your boyfriend's mom too! :( My grandma is dealing with lung cancer right now! :( I am so happy you found each other! Sending you out a pre-Mother's Day hug!!!

I'll share my story too. so in 2004 my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away in May of 2005. I was 12 years old with a twin sister, an 8 year old sister, and my dad. It kind of ruined our family. My little sister turned into an angry kid and my dad started going out with his friends a lot and our relationship became weird. So I never had anyone to talk to about the whole situation...until my college orientation. 3 years ago I met my now boyfriend and he lost his mom in 2009, so now I finally have someone to talk to about how I'm feeling about my mom being gone and he can talk to me about it. It helps to be able to just hug it out and cry a little with someone on mothers day and it's help me a lot with the remainder of my grieving. He's the best and I'm just so happy I have someone who is going through what I am going through.

Awww, **hugs** and glad you found someone so that you dont feel alone.

Thanks Guys! :) It feels good to be able to tell people besides the BF how I feel for once haha. Also I just watched dumbo for the first time since 2005 and it was way harder to watch then I thought haha. So now I have a new found love of Dumbo because he kind of went through the same thing as me for a little bit haha. nsingleton I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother! Lung Cancer sucks!

There are so many heart-wrenching yet heart-warming stories on this thread. It really is touching to read all of them! I'm so sorry for all of the pain that any of you have had to experience, but at the same time, I rejoice with you in reading that things still can give you the "warm fuzzes," and bring happiness to your life. It really is inspiring!

My parents give me the "warm fuzzy" feeling, but only one is here living.
My mother was proposed to by her high school sweetheart on a beach under the moonlight when she was fresh out of school. He was in the air force and served during the Gulf War I think. He had his own plane, with his last name on it, and my mother was very proud! His last name was Hamlin, and my mom's was Johnson. During one of this visits back home, he and a few of his friends went out boating in the lake. There was a diving accident, and he somehow lost his life. My mother still doesn't know exactly what happened, to this day. My grandmother told me, when I visited alone, that she would never forget the chilling phone call she received from my mother on that day. My grandma boarded a flight from Michigan to Arkansas immediately, came in to my mother's apartment, and held her as she cried. When she told me this story, it was one of the first things that I had ever heard of about the situation, my mom doesn't talk of it much. I almost wish I hadn't heard it. I can hear my mother crying and saying "mommy, mommy" in my head, with my grandma holding her close. It brings tears to my eyes, imagining how much pain she must have gone through.
Despite this, a few years later, she was at a friend's child's birthday party. She said that she would never date anyone again, and wanted to remain faithful to Mark. But then she met my dad! KyLen Grabow was his name, and he was a landscaper. He was also...sterile...(hope I'm not stepping over the line). Well, uh, then I was born!! (Mom wasn't very happy with the doctor, I think its safe to say!!). I was a surprise, which is probably the understatement of the century. My mother was working at a daycare at the time. She had a degree in childcare I believe, but nothing more than that.
I have been told that my father wasn't the best father. I haven't been told much about him, but what I do know is this: He used to put me on his stomach and fall asleep on the couch (so safe!). He used to feed me banana popsicles even though I had no teeth (much to the chagrin of my mom!). He took me to the zoo and held me above the monkey area, and my shoe fell off and the monkeys took it! (we still have the other shoe!). He gave my mother a ring on Mother's Day with both her birthstone and mine in it, and it is my most treasured and prized possession. He would climb trees in overall shorts and a fur hat with a chainsaw to take off branches that were at risk of falling down. And at his funeral, my mother brought pink roses, and now his mother and us have a special bond over them. These things are all extremely important to me, and any time I see them, I feel very sentimental.

My dad had diabetes, and wasn't too keen on taking his medicine. Unfortunately, when I was two years and a few months old, he went to stay at his mother's house. Normally at night, my mom would wake up and help him if he went in to diabetic shock, or had any other complications. Unfortunately, he was alone that night, and suffered from a heart attack. My mom had to receive that dreadful news again, that her love had been taken from her. She was only 24 years old. My grandma told me, she had to board another flight immediately, and this time fly to Minnesota to comfort my mom. Its just so unfair that something so awfully dreadful can happen to someone so wonderful twice. No one should have to ever experience anything like that in their entire life.

Now, my mom was left with me, her two year old daughter, with no great job. She decided to start working night shifts at the hospital, and attending school during the day. I remember staying the night at my godparents' house, and being woken up at 3:30 in the morning to come home. I just simply do not know how she did it. I cannot comprehend how anyone, after suffering so much loss, can drop everything and work SO HARD for someone so small like me. My mother is greater than any superhero in the world. She is more wonderful than Wonder Woman. She is selfless, she is kind, she is everything I aspire to be. If people put her down, she just stands taller. I admire her more than any other human being on this planet. When I talk to her, I feel so much pride, love, and all of the fuzzies in the world!

When I look at my name, I think of my mother. Alexandra was the name her and my father picked together. Shae is my middle name, and it was a name my father fought for tooth and nail! And my last name is Hamlin, which is the surname of my mom's late husband. It may be strange to some, but I actually enjoy it. I find its history to be strikingly important. It signifies my mother's life, her hardships and tribulations, and gives me inspiration to be just like her.

So....sorry that was extremely long! I'm still decompressing from final exams so I think I may have jelly fingers, probably should be staying away from the keyboards! :D

Great stories everyone!!

I grew up in a uber Christian family. So über that they wouldn't listen to "worldly" music, watch TV other than the news (this I'm actually thankful for because I got to enjoy reading), and anything pop culture was banned from the house. That is what my extended family is like, bible thumpers, etc. Growing up in that environment was very detrimental and I was socially depraved not to mention scared to end up in hell...lol... Anyways, when my mom got fed up with the church and decided to stop attending we where basically banned by our family and I had to go to a public school which was totally different. You can imagine a good ol Christian boy with no knowledge of clothing, cartoons, music, etc going to a school without mandatory prayer. I remember my first day in class, I was about 8. I came into class apparently dressed like a nerd and got made fun of all day. I remember hiding in the bathroom and crying. At lunch time I didn't even want to eat but it was mandatory, I grabbed my lunch and was going to sit in the corner by myself when this awesome girl came and sat with me. She told me not to be sad because "no one is better than anyone". After that day me and her were inseparable and remain best friends until now. The words she said that day and her smile have always been with me. Every time I feel down those words push me back up, those are the exact same words she told me when I came out. She is my biggest cheerleader and the love of my life and thanks to her kindness I am who I am today. :)

Seeing how I'm not married or met the love of my life or anything like that my story won't be as good as your guys stories... A few years ago a kid in our school (who was a good friend of mine) committed suicide... He jumped if a bridge into the freezing cold river below... Everyone who knew him was heartbroken and terrified. They brought in police and also many different guidance people to help students get through this.. None of these attempts worked... We had an assembly about it and 75% of the students were crying... Then one of my best friends stood up and just started singing... And singing... And singing... The song the sung was Stand By Me... About 10 seconds into the song everyone started to stand up and continued singing (without the band)... Even the band stood up and sang instead of playing their instruments.. Although it didn't make everyone 100%... It helped a lot... I don't know how we would have survived without him doing that...

By the way... I like this idea

I'd love to make this story longer because I could talk about him all day, but today is the last day to enter and I have to leave for tennis practice in a couple minutes.

But last year in February, my best friend in the whole world asked me to prom. I had no plans to go with anyone else, but I was still afraid to go with him. You see, he has pretty bad eczema covering much of his body, just a genetic trait, and though it never bothered me as a friend, I admit shamefully that a part of me still was worried about what people would think if I went with him to prom- and I was worried about breaking his heart if I said or did something hurtful by accident. So I said no, that I wanted to focus on having fun with my other single friends. I felt horrible. We didn't talk for a couple of months, and when I showed up at prom thoroughly miserable I saw he had taken another girl, and I admit I was jealous.

Over the summer, though, we started to talk again, reunited as friends after we realized how important we were to each other, even just as friends. I had had a horrible breakup over the summer as well with someone I had dated since soon after prom of last year and he was there for me through it all, even though by all rights he didn't have to be.

Then New Years' came around. I invited him and a couple of my friends over for a New Year's party and as soon as the ball dropped, my friends wanted to run around outside with sparklers. But my friend and I were cuddled up close on the couch- you know, as friends- and we were too warm to run around in the winter cold. After they left, we watched some Rachel Maddow- you know, as friends- and after a while he turned to me and asked if he could kiss me. I hesitated, again. He then asked if he kissed me, would I be his?

Then I realized that his skin was beautiful. I thought about what a wonderful friend he'd been to me, how caring, and how nice he is to everyone else even if they don't give him reason to be.

I said yes, and I haven't looked back since. I love you Azeem! <3

(Also all of these stories are totally giving me a case of the warm fuzzies. People keep asking me why I'm smiling at my computer in class. You are all so great! <3 )

Last edited:
OUR story is alot like yours my wife and i met 22 years ago in a chat room there were only 5 whole chat rooms on aol at the time. I lived in connecticut and she in kentucky. My wife had 2 kids from a previous marriage and they were still very young so she did not want to move them away from their family. I could not move due to my job. When we finally met in person after a year of chatting online and by phone it was love at first sight. I missed my return flight 3 times as i couldnt bear to leave her. Fate had other plans for us it seemed. Soon after that meeting her daughter became seriously ill. My wife had to move close to the hospital treating her which was in tennesse. During this time my wife had to devote all of her time and attention to her daughter slowly we lost touch. However i never for a moment doubted i wanted to be with her. Over the next 5 years we talked by phone and i looked for a new job closer to her. My wifes daughter started to improve. Then a relapse occured. Again our plans were put on hold. We tried desperately to grab a weekend here or there but it just didnt work out. Another 4 years passed. I still never dated another woman during this time and she never dated another man. Gradually her daughter became better yet again and graduated high school and went on to college. Out of the blue neither of us knew the other was going there. We met by accident at WDW it was a trip she was taking her daughter on for graduation i was there with my company for a conference. I saw her by the pool at the yacht club i think i almost fell in i was so stunned. Needless to say we spent the entire week together. 2 weeks later i gave my notice at work i flew down to my wifes house we grabbed the kids and flew right back to WDW we were married there 10 years ago this month. We now have two additional daughters and have not spent a night apart since. Now in 8 days we are headed back to WDW to spend out 10th wedding anniversary and 22nd year of loving each other. We try to go every year back to where we married and stay at the yacht club. For us disney world is truly the happiest place on earth at least for us.

Connor

OUR story is alot like yours my wife and i met 22 years ago in a chat room there were only 5 whole chat rooms on aol at the time. I lived in connecticut and she in kentucky. My wife had 2 kids from a previous marriage and they were still very young so she did not want to move them away from their family. I could not move due to my job. When we finally met in person after a year of chatting online and by phone it was love at first sight. I missed my return flight 3 times as i couldnt bear to leave her. Fate had other plans for us it seemed. Soon after that meeting her daughter became seriously ill. My wife had to move close to the hospital treating her which was in tennesse. During this time my wife had to devote all of her time and attention to her daughter slowly we lost touch. However i never for a moment doubted i wanted to be with her. Over the next 5 years we talked by phone and i looked for a new job closer to her. My wifes daughter started to improve. Then a relapse occured. Again our plans were put on hold. We tried desperately to grab a weekend here or there but it just didnt work out. Another 4 years passed. I still never dated another woman during this time and she never dated another man. Gradually her daughter became better yet again and graduated high school and went on to college. Out of the blue neither of us knew the other was going there. We met by accident at WDW it was a trip she was taking her daughter on for graduation i was there with my company for a conference. I saw her by the pool at the yacht club i think i almost fell in i was so stunned. Needless to say we spent the entire week together. 2 weeks later i gave my notice at work i flew down to my wifes house we grabbed the kids and flew right back to WDW we were married there 10 years ago this month. We now have two additional daughters and have not spent a night apart since. Now in 8 days we are headed back to WDW to spend out 10th wedding anniversary and 22nd year of loving each other. We try to go every year back to where we married and stay at the yacht club. For us disney world is truly the happiest place on earth at least for us.

Connor

Wow Connor, that is an absolutely amazing story!! True love, at its finest! You were destined to be together! May I ask what your wife's name is? :)
Happy early anniversary to the both of you!!

The most amazing thing to happen to me and my family was at Disneyland!!! It was in october of 2005 when spacemountain reopened. Well when you walked in they gave scratchers away to people the 5 people who get a green light get a chance to win a car. My dad had been needing a nee car but we couldn't afford it. So on that day we did not get the green light ticket. I insisted on watching the parade that day. Well as were watching a random person comes up and says take this we got to leave. It was a green light ticket. Before my mom and dad could say thank you, they were gone. We looked around and could not find em. To thid dau we thought it was an Angel. So Disneyland collected the 5 people and put them on a stage. My dad was the last one. They all got to puck a scissor with different colored handles. My dad picked pink because my mom was wearing pink. So everyone went. NONE OF THEM GOT IT.!!! My mom just statred bawling. Yhe announcer came over and said Jefferey Horash do you inderstand you hace a 100% chance of winning. My dad twidted the scisorrs. Then confetti and mus ic then a brand new Honda Civic came rolling out of a miniture space mountain.
My dad had won a car!!! That was one of the most memorable moments ever

I wish I had a really heartfelt story but I can't think of one except one that my dad shares with me all the time about myself when I was little. When I was little about 5 or 7 years old I had Back surgery for Scoliosis/Kyphosis. My parents have told me that I have a high threshold for pain. I won't go into all the details as to how that came about. Anyways my dad said that while I was recuperating in the hospital I would take short walks around the floor and when we walked passed the other doors where some of the other children were staying I would tell my dad "Let's pray for them." It didn't matter what pain I was in I wanted to pray for the other little children who were sick that they might get better.

Thank you for all your stories! I have really enjoyed them all! We will pick a winner (probably from a hat) soon and post a winner. Right now we are fighting some illness here so if there is a delay please be patient.

WINNER Zagales! CONGRATULATIONS! Since we have never traded before, please PM me your address so I can mail you your new pin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back