• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Hmmmmm...........Will "Pin"Fever go the way of "Beanie Baby" Fever??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm...........Will "Pin"Fever go the way of "Beanie Baby" Fever??
I'm going to jump around in response to so many great comments, so forgive my sporadic-ness. =)

Cyclical Trading - that sums it up.

Personally, I go through cycles of trading - I just get too busy, don't have extra cash for postage, get my feelings hurt by a meanie; or conversely, I start really wanting to flip some old art for "new blood," get interested in a new line or start stumbling over boxes that could be swapped for something we really want. I take breaks, but then start getting that longing for some excitement when I go to the mailbox. It's a healthy addiction! ...plus, as so many of you know, you meet the nicest people! [/me pointing to my boyfriend, whom I met through a Pinpics TA!]

The kids are growing and they change what/who they are in to at the moment. Walle was huge, nothing compared to Sleeping Beauty, Bolt was big, Up was a fave...it cycles around here. As my son passed me in height I noticed everything Toy Story is long gone; but I still keep a board of Buzz pins to remember a little boy who was Buzz for six straight Halloweens! ...priceless...and safe, harmless happiness.

Investment? No way! Gold is an investment and as much as I treat some of mine like gold, [/me laughing] they're not. I won't spend more than I'm willing to "lose," because, after all, nothing lasts forever - but $30 for a piece of happiness I can wear on my sweater or see every day as I pass the frame on the stairs...priceless. It's like having my own little piece of Disney.

Old pins get broken, destroyed, lost...I know over 500 old DA LE pins that were recently destroyed in a house fire [go ahead, shiver!], a few lost pin bags, two lanyards over the side of a ship [shockingly, no, alcohol was not involved?!] and another large collection that was lost in a military move. The older and more limited the pin, the harder it will be to find in the future; so when I see one I've been searching for, I grab it and never look back. I won't starve the kids, but gosh, pins are just pure happiness. ;)

Nothing lasts forever, but when I see the Grape Soda Mae sent my son, the framed sets Coach and I put together or the Beauty/Beast frame Lois gave me...that feeling of joyfulness spurs happy memories and a healthy addiction.

With so many negative addictions out there, I am happy to stand next to Margaret, Mae, Coach and [okay, I won't name everyone] and say "I'm PINsane!" ...to think of life without these amazing, shiny pieces of Disney?! Unimaginable. ;)

My name is Whitney and I'm a proud to be a Pin-o-holic.

I used to collect Barbie dolls in the late 80's throughout the 90's. When I started collecting, I started very slowly and then as I got older and finances increased, I went a little insane with the Barbie collection. I think I learned a lot from that experience, as I was putting a lot of my collection on credit cards, etc.

With the pins, I personally enjoy how little space they actually take up (even with a large collection like ours) We definitely have a motto here that if we can't pay cash for them, we don't need them. I think that has kept me from spending large amounts on one pin, etc. I also love the fact that I can look at certain pins and it brings back such a fond memory of when I got it, or the vacation I was on with the kids when we got it, etc.

I think the economy plays a HUGE role in people's collecting. I know that many of the collections I have bought in the past four years are from people who need money. If you think about it, when times get bad, collectibles tend to be the first thing that drop like a rock in terms of prices. If someone is going to have to choose between making a house note and keeping their pins, I think they are going to choose the house.

I, for one, am not going anywhere. I definitely have seen my enthusiasm for my pins go in highs and lows. There have been times I don't even actively look for pins and then times where I check every day.

may b the ppl that are just out for the money will leave. As far as disney fans just leaving or not wanting things disney...lol....thats just funny... The real fans will always be around and want pins. Thats good too. cuz its supost to be for the kids and the fans of disney. My biz partner and I have a baseball card shop. Same thing has happened over there. ** Check this out.... We now sell a pack of cards that has just 5 cards. the price is over $550.00 per box. So you get 5 cards and hope that you get a good one you can sell. Thats lame. i used to buy the cards for the gum. I didnt ever think of making money of other kids. Mayb sum day i can add a pin shop to our card shop. The goal is to keep a hobby going... not milk it and kill it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back