• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Hmmmmm...........Will "Pin"Fever go the way of "Beanie Baby" Fever??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm...........Will "Pin"Fever go the way of "Beanie Baby" Fever??
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi All!
With the next to NO ~ NONE ~ NON-EXSISTENT pin releases any more on DisneyStore.com, and with the joy of no longer feeling like I have to be up at 3:00 am anymore, I have noticed my pin fever is getting cured!

I remember the days of Beanie Baby Fever when my oldest daughter and I would drive to the store and hope we would be one of the 12 that could get the newest release! Then someone in the Beanie Baby world made the decision to say it was all coming to an end at the end of 1999. So the rush to get the beanies before they were gone was incredible in our town.

Then after a few weeks of no Beanie Baby releases, we all came to our senses and realized "Why in the world did we spend money on these, and what in the world will I do with all them, and wasn't this foolish to waste money like that!"

The someone in beanie baby world decided to bring on the new millennia with new beanies, but you know ~ it was OVER! We never got another beanie after that.

I am saying all that to say I feel the same way about these pins. Since Disney is no longer feeding the fever I am coming out of my stupor!

I truly am wondering......... why did I spend all that money, what a waste! what do I do with them . . . . . . . . Disney has stopped feeding the fever and I am getting well!

I am afraid more of us may get cured too ~ I just can't figure out what in the world Disney is trying to do by no longer releasing pins. If we all get better, we just won't want the pins like before.

Now in saying this ~ that does not mean I no longer enjoy my pins! Because I do! I love my Walt collection, my handful of Belle's, and my Tinker Bell "as" pins I will never part with! I also have a few stray pins that fit no caterogry that I will always keep.

But, I just am done buying pins unless something comes out I just have to have. (like the Walt pin in the Sci Fi Event! Love it!! Want It!!)

The last pins I bought was the Snowball Fight set on DisneyStore.com because I loved how it went together as a set. I have not bought a single thing since, and before I bought the snowball set, it was months since I had bought anything previous!!

Boy I feel Good!!
Anyone else on the way to wellness?? LOL! :0)

I can only speak for myself but I hope it doesnt go away like Beanie Babies :( I was apart of that craze as well and I now have plastic tubs full of them I think Disney is smarter than Ty and I am hoping this is just a lull in the new releases. I havent been cured yet lol (and I hope I dont get cured) My Name is Tabbi and I have a pin addiction and I am proud of it :)

Yes, I'm getting better everyday (NOT). I'm trying so hard to overcome my addiction, but they just won't leave me alone. My collection is almost to 4,000 pins and that's way to many for any one person to have. I'm trying to get better and I no longer feel the need to rush to my computer at 3:00 AM and actually getting a full night's sleep. I don't feel like I have to go to WDW once a month for a "Disney fix" and I almost didn't renew my Annual Pass. So I know I'm getting better, now if I could just get rid of some of the pins I have:)

Charter member of Pinaholics Anonymouse and proud of it. I may be stuck on step 1 of the program, but I'm trying.

Last edited:
Now in saying this ~ that does not mean I no longer enjoy my pins! Because I do! I love my Walt collection, my handful of Belle's, and my Tinker Bell "as" pins I will never part with! I also have a few stray pins that fit no caterogry that I will always keep.

That right there is the main reason why I don't think pins will totally go the way of the Beanie Babies. I do think it is in a decline and some prices may continue to come down, but I don't think it will die completely (at leaste not for all pins). Most people collect Disney pins because they have a much larger, life-long, sentimental attachment to Disney itself. Pins are reinforced by Disney history and the movies and characters themselves. Love for those things isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

In contrast....Ty.....who has an attachment to Ty? Beanie Babies were a random fad. Pins have much more of a foundation to stand on.

Now, that doesn't mean that all pins are going to survive this downhill trend. There are thousands and thousands of horrible pin designs out there and let's face it, nobody wants them. And even older "King Pins" have already fallen. Take this one for example:

It was released a little before my time, but wasn't it bringing $250-$300 at one point? Now it brings about cost, which is under $200. Why? Not because it isn't a good pin. I think a big part is because since this pin was release there have been over 3,000 other Stitch pins released and many of them have better designs. In a way, pins are canabalizing themselves....

I've been missing decent releases from Disneystore.com lately too, but it hasn't made my fever go away. It has actually helped me because now I can focus more resources on those older pins that I could never get to because I was so focused on keeping up on the new stuff.

I'm not sure what Disney is thinking....Pins are still a cash cow if they just wouldn't be so lazy and actually create some decent designs. Maybe it is the economic environment and a strain on resources....or maybe they are actually cracking down on these factories and renegotiating contracts....who knows....

Last edited:
I have been a disney freak since my first disney movie so even if the pin craze went away I would still love my pins. Sometimes I kinda secretly hope it does die out (not right now but sometime) for one reason but it has to be all of a sudden or else it wont work....and this is my reason....so all those pin sharks and everyone who is just in it for the money will lose out. Not to be mean...they just can really suck the fun out of the pin trading hobby and it would just be a nice karma payback :)

but really I think Disney puts subliminal messageing in their movies so I dont think it will go away. I mean I just watched Bambi and now I have a strong desire to buy some pins.....

It's Disneyana. It'll be fine. It's not an independent license / brand we're talking about: it's one of the strongest global character brands in existence. I mean, what's bigger than Disney? Sanrio? Pokemon? They all kind of pale in comparison. And it seems like the past six months have seen alot of new people enter the hobby (myself included).

-JD

Nope! :D Now I can focus on being more selective.

Hopefully with a slow down of pin releases, Disney's artists will be able to focus on turning out better art.

Yeah, totally. I've been here 4-5 months now, and literally the only pin from Disneystore releases that I wanted in that time was the TRON Stitch. And even then, I only picked it up as trade bait. ._. As a Jessica collector, I'm kind of okay that the parade of really ugly Jessica pins is slowing down (Jessica build a snowman pin, anyone?).

-JD

Well, I think it's always a personal thing, when one is "done" with a hobby. I mean, if I was just coming into it now, I wouldn't feel I was ready to leave yet.

THAT SAID! I know *exactly* what you mean! Between the drought on ds.com (which has NEVER, EVER happened since I've been buying from them), the drought on ebay and trading for my older HG pins, and other things in my life (buying a new car, i.e.), I feel like I've been "snapped out of it". I guess it's to be expected....I've been in many, many hobbies, and while I do linger in some of them, I do eventually always leave my "craze" phase behind. :)

It doesn't mean I'm out of it for good- like someone said, it's Disney, you know? But I'll be mostly buying now, I think, and cut back on my trading stuff a lot. I'll still go to the events (I enjoy them too much not to), but I just feel less...consumed...by it now.

And like someone else said, at least Disneyana keeps its value better than most other hobbies. When I do decide to whittle my collection down, it will HOPEFULLY maintain its value (or, at least, most of its value).

I do think Disney is making a mistake...I'm not sure what's going on at the ds.com office, but that, combined with the Parks issues, is creating a dangerous lull. I can understand cutting back, if they're having issues...but this kind of abadonment can leave collectors looking for other options...

I do get what your talking about with ds.com.... Like the DA and older DS pins were so cool and I hate that when I got into the pins now they are kinda cheesy and not as cool, or as many :( I think I need to become a pin maker for them! I will get stuff done! :p

Disney pinning is so much more than collecting Beanies or Cabbage Patch Kids or Pokemon or those rubber-band thingies that kids just have to have these days... people love pins - all kinds of pins, not just Disney either. So no, I don't think they'll be a fad that just goes away next year for the newest and latest trend. And if it does, then goodie for me. Everyone will be dumping lots of LE's and HG's at bargain basement prices! :D

I, like some others, am thankful for the lull. It gives me time to focus on picking up older pins as well as something that I'm really new at: trading. Going to my first pin event this month and I'm really stoked about. My pin-fever is running at a high pitch at the moment.

hmmmmm,,,,,,,, didnt they say the same about Rock and Roll after Elvis was drafted?

and after the beatles broke up,

And then the Doobie Bros,

And then the Eagles,

yeah sure, multi billion dollar industury, leaving millions worldwide desperate, gone instantly

umm... I dont think so.

But really, no collectible should ever be looked at as a financial investment... unless your collectible is gold. LOL They're simply an investment in joy, smiles and memories, not $.

You know you said a mouth a full right there... I mean trading at parks hotels (etc) has gone done alot but buying not really some may just get sick of a theme character well collecting wise..

Oh dyma you ever heard the song "Listen to the music" the doobie brothers sing that I like it too,

Eventually it will die I think. That's what sort of keeps me grounded. My collection is nice as it is, if I spent more on pins I didn't want or need then it could get out of control and I'd be stuck with worthless pins I don't want in the future. If it does die, I want to have a nice, small collection along with countless great memories of trading! :)

I disagree. I don't think it will ever really "die". This "hobby" has been going strong for over 10 years now. I will agree that it has cycles. Once the economy recovers and Disney starts turning out some decent pin art I think we will see an upswing again. To the level it was? Its had to say.

Its not a fad to me. Its the art, the memories, the friendships - blast it - Its D-I-S-N-E-Y! When its all said and done Walt the Dreamer and Roy the Realist were a dynamic team, who loved making Dreams Come True. They Dreamed, Believed and Achieved - that's quite an example to live by.

Ok - off the soapbox now! :wiggle:

I agree with Dyma, I dont think it will die out as when you look at the numbers of collectors then I think it would be down to us weather or not the hobby carries on or not as if we see the decline in pin releases and suddenly just give up then thats whats gonna drag this hobby to the curb.

I mean so far all that is being reduced is DS.com pins which is not a major deal for me personally as I actually get to try and trade for older pins that are left on my wants list due to the fact that Im not having to buy any new UP related pins from DS.com which I was having to do alot last year so Im happy for a break.

I say people shouldnt think due to ds.com reducing their pins to hardly any is a sign of decline as if they where they wouldnt be holding Sci-Fi Academy or still having full releases at the parks. Its only one source of pins that has stop for the time being so I say if anyone has doubts then they dont have faith in the what they collect.

'A hobby is only as strong as its fan base'

I've found out that pins / trading have been around for like 100 years - Not Disney maybe, but pins in general. I think it will be around for a while. Also pins are easier to store or display than a lot of other collectibles. I and some of my friends have several sports team pins and I know a couple of people who collect hardrock cafe pins. There's lots of stuff out there. Apparently there are even hooters pin collectors.

I know we've all been complaining about the recent decline of DS.com pins but then I saw that list in the Sneak peak thread http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?12-DisneyStore.com-Sneak-Peeks-UPDATED-3-7 under uncategorized pins and it looks like there are a lot of interesting, diverse and different pins coming up. I'm excited about adding to my small Robin hood collection because there are so few pins for that movie and it looks like one is coming up! I just hope its a good one! (Hopefully he won't be making a snowman) lol

When Dizpins announced it was shutting down, I thought that would be a fatal blow to Disney pins. Especially, when they didn't immediately allow people to post links to other message boards. But thankfully, this place started and Dizpins allowed a link to be posted, and it looks like a lot of the people that would lurk or post over there found there way here. That combined with the current economic situation, provided a perfect opportunity for people to just get out.

I've always worried about the sustainability of pin trading. It started out so hot, that I think it gave a bunch of people unreasonable expectations for the hobby. A lot more people considered their pins an investment at the start. But pins selling out in hours and being instantly worth triple their value should not be considered "normal." A healthy hobby should probably be increasing the number of people it has, slow and steady. But as we can see, the edition sizes continually get smaller indicating that there are fewer people willing to purchase pins. Instead of more and more people taking it up, it seems like the group of people is just turning over. You have a small core of "old timers" and a lot of newbies. At some point, Disney will abandon CM lanyard trading for whatever new shtick they want to try and then we'll really see if there are enough people to sustain it. I don't think it will go away completely, but the group will become so small that making trades will be a hard thing. How happy would most people be if they made 1 or 2 trades a year? Only the really dedicated will remain. And what happens if Pinpics eventually goes away?

The economic situation makes things particularly a little wobbly right now. I don't think people are as willing to buy a ton of expensive pins as they were 5 years ago. Disney seems to be trying to close the gap, by increasing prices and cutting costs making things worse for attracting people to buy things. I think the pin design/event teams are being asked to do more with less people and so we're getting frustrated by the lack of info, while they're struggling to get their designs in on time. Not dealing with the scrapper/counterfeit situation. All providing reasons for people to just get out.

Last edited:
I just personally think, as a hobby, no matter what happens you get to keep memories. I remember speaking to a person a few years back about pins. The person told me how they had 10 DSF ellie badges and wanted to keep them as investment for their childs future. While I understand that some people see this as an investment, I come from a place where the memories and friends made alot the way are alot more important. Like they say, the journey itself is sometimes more rewarding than arriving at your destination. I understand value and such, but my pins are on my wall to stay. If the hobby dies, im not going to be selling them or trying to make a profit. I'll have them as memories of a wonderful time in my life. My 2 cents :p

I'm going to agree with erudolf that I hope this means that Disney is finally waking up to the problem that has been festering under it’s nose, namely the scrapper problem. Hopefully, they have already dealt with it and either brought production back to the US, or installed controls in Chinese factories to stop the devaluation of it’s own product. I was certainly lured in by the accessibility of $.50 pins, but quickly was turned off by the system. Luckily, this group and a deep love of Disney, set those feelings aside and turned from quantity to quality. But certainly, if there is a softening in the market, scrappers have to be at least a factor.

Would love to see some new things come out, and not have to immediately wonder if I'm going to be able to trade it because of fears of scrap.

I don't really know where to start my response.

I DO see the Disney pin trade slowing down. IMO the scrapper/counterfeit trade is out of control. I haven't collected pins for a few years and I have just recently come back. I can't believe how many counterfeits there are. I think the Hidden Mickey thing is fun. The pins are decently priced, and it turns into a hunt to complete the set. Throw a bunch of fakes in there and suddenly it's not fun anymore because you can't tell the difference between a fake pin and a real one most of the time. Well since I can't complete my Hidden Mickey sets, I"ll try to go to DS which has outrageous pin prices and few releases. Disney is making it really hard to even afford the hobby of pin collecting.

A few years ago the talk was how bad pin sharks and ebayers are...now the talk is how bad the fakes are. I think Disney needs to do something about the situation and the people they are letting produce pins. Disney makes A TON of money per year, I'm sure they can afford to monitor the production of their products a bit more.

As for Vinylmation, I don't know. It's actually a rip off if you ask me. It's not new to Disney. Ever hear of KidRobot? As far as I know they have been releasing themed series for YEARS. They have a lot of success with it but like someone else said, it's more of a cult following. I know people who collect kidrobot toys and I'm sure they have dropped tons of money to get a chaser to complete their set.

I kind of think the closing of Dizpins effected collecting also. I used to love to go to dizpins everyday and see what pins were released that day. Now it's not so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back