• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

"it's a small world" Animators Collection Dolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
"it's a small world" Animators Collection Dolls
Well, if it won't ruin the magic, I'll answer your questions, lol.

It was a straw hat that I painted white--with latex paint left over from my bathroom reno!!! I couldn't get any other kind to stick to the fabric (it would just absorb it all like paper towel).

I used China, so I had to cut the hair, then wrap it around really thin straws, secure it with bobby pins, then dunk his head in boiling water for 10 seconds. It dried overnight, then I removed the straws and "fluffed" the curls (they're realllllly tight when they're first let out). Then it was a lot of trimming. But no rerooting, so it was actually easier than Italy, for example.

Once I get a proper shelf put up for my previous custom (who's 25" tall with her head dress), I'll take a pic of all the customs mixed in with the regular release dolls for sure.

Oh, and I'm glad you like them. Even though I'm popping them out really fast, they're a lot of work. I've just spent EVERY spare moment I have on them. It's almost sad.

(sorry for all these long-winded posts btw)

Well, if it won't ruin the magic, I'll answer your questions, lol.

It was a straw hat that I painted white--with latex paint left over from my bathroom reno!!! I couldn't get any other kind to stick to the fabric (it would just absorb it all like paper towel).

I used China, so I had to cut the hair, then wrap it around really thin straws, secure it with bobby pins, then dunk his head in boiling water for 10 seconds. It dried overnight, then I removed the straws and "fluffed" the curls (they're realllllly tight when they're first let out). Then it was a lot of trimming. But no rerooting, so it was actually easier than Italy, for example.

Once I get a proper shelf put up for my previous custom (who's 25" tall with her head dress), I'll take a pic of all the customs mixed in with the regular release dolls for sure.

Oh, and I'm glad you like them. Even though I'm popping them out really fast, they're a lot of work. I've just spent EVERY spare moment I have on them. It's almost sad.

(sorry for all these long-winded posts btw)

Thanks for sharing your secrets! ;) I am a crafty person myself, so I'm always interested in the process! I can only imagine the amount of work it takes to do a custom. I've been tempted to try one on some other dolls but I am terrified I'll just make a mess of it.

LOL, I don't think it's sad at all. I think it's awesome! You've done such a fantastic job and now you have dolls that no one else has. I'm completely jealous!!! :drool:

I can only agree with amm3, you made some really great dolls, Quasimodo. I've just done a little sewing, no rerooting but I can imagine, how long you had to work on them.

Oh and I love reading long posts about dolls and can't wait for new pictures! :)

Last edited:
I'd say these customs were on the easier end of the spectrum. For me painting eyes is the hardest and you can ruin a doll if they don't look right. But so far I haven't had to paint any eyes. I've only had to alter eyebrows and lips (and remove eye shadow for the boys). Rerooting takes a long time, but it's not hard. I plan to change the eye color of one, so I'll see how that goes when I finally get to it.

Honestly, I think most people could do these customs. They're more custume swaps than anything, which is good. Anyone who's seen them in person thinks they're part of the actual line and not dolls I customized.

I'd say these customs were on the easier end of the spectrum. For me painting eyes is the hardest and you can ruin a doll if they don't look right. But so far I haven't had to paint any eyes. I've only had to alter eyebrows and lips (and remove eye shadow for the boys). Rerooting takes a long time, but it's not hard. I plan to change the eye color of one, so I'll see how that goes when I finally get to it.

Honestly, I think most people could do these customs. They're more custume swaps than anything, which is good. Anyone who's seen them in person thinks they're part of the actual line and not dolls I customized.

I agree, drawing eyes is really hard. They just never look right together.
But sewing isn't easy either, it requires lots of patience.
They really look like they are actually produced by Disney.

Italy, Spain, were at least we got Holland were common to not forget to the collection,
throughout the entire collection only 1 Boy made it, was the England the very first release :eeyore:

I wanted another Boy to make it...

It took me a long time to get up the shelf for my latest custom because I've been also rooting an entire doll's head, so I've been back and forth.

Anyway, here she is, accompanied by the original France doll, which I plan to give a makeover once I'm caught up.

I don't know if it's obvious from pics what I did, but I had to reroot longer bangs to give her that boufant, after I removed most of the bangs she already had. I glued about 500 rhinestones onto her costime, but you can't really see them in pics I don't think. Here's a closer view:

Here's a vid of her in sparkling action--there's sound so turn down your volume if you don't want to hear her sing.

[flash=https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=1535363810]width="400" height="225" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=a95cb62e93&photo_id=15674467843" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"[/flash]

And here's a shot of all my small world dolls so far:

"It's a small world" the journey so far by Blaine*, on Flickr

Absolutely Remarkable!!!= Absolute fantastic job, esp the Boy you can use him Italian or French simply by letting the hair without not curly hair!
My dream was there was a French Boy with a French Bonne Cap with Dark Hair : D Likewise the costume creations are fantastic. I wonder if you have extra dolls that's how you can play around and retouch them.

every single time i see this thread being posted in i get a little hopeful just to be disappointed all over.
at this point is there any chance of this line being continued? or even having the released dolls become available again?

to end on a positive note, very nice customs quasi! at least we still have you.

Haha, I get the same excitement / disappointment whenever I see a post here, too.

Sadly I think there's a higher chance we'll see new releases before we rereleases, and new releases are REALLY unlikely at this point. Maybe they'll release some at the next landmark anniversary. I have a SMALL hope that they'll make another wave for the park's 65th anni going on this year. Please, please, PLEASE let that happen :D

I really appreciate the FB, guys, thanks so much. I only wish Disney would hurry up and give us some more countries already! :(

As for the glue, it's specifically for glitter and rhinestones. I got it from Michaels, but the brand doesn't matter because I got it in Canada and the US has different stock. Any craft store would carry something similar. It takes a little getting used to, then it's like magic. And a little dab goes a long way.

I have gone through SO much of it. I took a break from customizing (waiting for supplies) to "upgrade" the official small world dolls, so I'll have more pics to post soon.

Thanks again <3

I went and checked. My glue is called Aleene's, but I've always heard great things about Gem-Tac, a brand my Michael's doesn't carry. I've used Fabri-Tac (their fabric glue) and it was amazing. Expensive, but amazing.

@Quasimodo -- your dolls are amazing! Any chance you have a tutorial or know of a good tutorial for rerooting doll hair? Specifically for dolls like these? Or any advice of repainting the faces? I'm hoping to try customizing a doll in the future and have no idea where to start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back