• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Maleficent Live Action Movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait. At first I thought ..... ugh, really, Angelina Jolie?? But after seeing the trailer, I am like WOW! Angelina was perfectly cast for this movie.

You have no idea the excitement I have for this movie. It's something I've dreamed about since being a little kid. I remember hearing about them making it about two years ago, mostly just rumors. And now to have an actual trailer. Mind blowing. I just cannot wait to see what merchandise they do for it. Because I know I will be buying it ALL.

- AHHHH! SO. DAMN. EXCITED!! The moment they chose Angelina Jolie as Maleficent, I knew this movie is going to be epic. Was pretty stoked that I saw pictures of her earlier this year when they were filming it & now we got the trailer! So excited to see the trailer again before they show Frozen! :D

I am so excited! For me personally, I hope that we get a doll and also a LE adult costume like they've been doing recently. I'd also really like some mugs, I've started picking up those as a collection too (heaven help my wallet!) :p

The trailer's exciting and the plot sounds really cool, but I passed on all the Oz merch because I'm not too crazy about dolls based on real people. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys, though, that you get some great collectibles, which I think is pretty much a gimme at this point. I know Disney doesn't like to follow a strict formula, but I'm sure the merch lineup will be similar to the Oz one.

THE FOLLOWING MAY BE A SPOILER, I'M NOT SURE:

My whole life, I never realized Maleficent's horns were actual horns. I thought they were part of her costume. I mean, I realized Aurora's God parents were fairies, but it didn't really feel like that kind of world where the villain was some kind of fairy overlord. I thought she was a sorceress. It'll be fun to see the Sleeping Beauty world open up a lot more to show us this.

I was very excited about this movie until I heard Angelina Jolie was playing Maleficent. I have mixed feelings about it. The preview did look interesting so I am crossing my fingers that it will be good.

I also have a feeling that my wallet will be hit hard next April/May when they start rolling out the merchandise for the film. Thank goodness 2014 is not a D23 Expo year, so the merchandise should be readily available (though I am sure there will most likely be some limited merchandise items that will be a scramble to get).

It looks okay, i just dont like Elle Fannings english accent :lol: makes me cringe

I agree 100%! It bothers me a lot, especially since it's not even a good British accent. Why does Hollywood always have to inject these random British accents into films and TV shows when they are not needed? I suppose it's to make the character seem more refined, but it just seems silly for a film that is based on a classic film where no such accents existed (yes, Mary Costa had to eliminate any sense of a Tennessee accent for Aurora's voice, but she still sounds like an American)...

AJ's accent makes me cringe more. I hope she's worked on it since the Tomb Raider days. Blarg!

The weird thing is that I don't think Maleficent will be speaking with much of an accent at all. The two lines she had in that trailer sounded more like her doing an Eleanor Audley-type voice, which is refined but certainly not with a British accent. I hope the rest of the film keeps in-line with that. :)

Last edited:
I would love it if it looks like jolie and is very detailed! Iv got the designer maleficent, Mattel one and hoping on a disney 17 inch one so got room somewhere for a live action maleficent!

Yeah Hot Toys figures will always look like the live action actors so this will definitely look like Ange, I think it will be interesting I am hoping to own the Hot Toys figure and the Disney Store doll as one will be based on the movie Maleficent and the other on the Cartoon so I think they would look amazing side by side. Because you will have a realistic one and then a more cartoony one which will be awesome!

I also have a feeling that my wallet will be hit hard next April/May when they start rolling out the merchandise for the film. Thank goodness 2014 is not a D23 Expo year, so the merchandise should be readily available (though I am sure there will most likely be some limited merchandise items that will be a scramble to get).

I agree 100%! It bothers me a lot, especially since it's not even a good British accent. Why does Hollywood always have to inject these random British accents into films and TV shows when they are not needed? I suppose it's to make the character seem more refined, but it just seems silly for a film that is based on a classic film where no such accents existed (yes, Mary Costa had to eliminate any sense of a Tennessee accent for Aurora's voice, but she still sounds like an American)...

The weird thing is that I don't think Maleficent will be speaking with much of an accent at all. The two lines she had in that trailer sounded more like her doing an Eleanor Audley-type voice, which is refined but certainly not with a British accent. I hope the rest of the film keeps in-line with that. :)

I agree! And if they wanted the English vibe why didn't they hire an English actress to play her? We have lots of brilliant actresses! I think they hired an English actress for cinderella though!

Elle fannings accent is going to bother me during the movie I can tell :/! It's like in Snow White and the huntsman, Kristen's random
English accent was really bad :lol:

Angelina looks and sounds perfect, imo, but that's about the only thing I'm excited about int regards to this movie (besides merchandise); Elle doesn't seem like a good fit for Aurora to me, the love story sounds like the dumbest thing ever, and I have a feeling this is going to be another entry in Disney's recent "CGI Mess" series, like Burton's AiW and Oz.

That being said, I hope we get some cool Maleficent dolls, and I hope OPI does a cool nail polish line (with lots of dark colors and super-sparkly polishes!).

I also heard that next year there will be a special edition release of Sleeping Beauty on Blu-Ray... if that's true, I'm hoping we get a plethora of merchandise for it, liked there was for TLM this year.

Angelina looks and sounds perfect, imo, but that's about the only thing I'm excited about int regards to this movie (besides merchandise); Elle doesn't seem like a good fit for Aurora to me, the love story sounds like the dumbest thing ever, and I have a feeling this is going to be another entry in Disney's recent "CGI Mess" series, like Burton's AiW and Oz.

That being said, I hope we get some cool Maleficent dolls, and I hope OPI does a cool nail polish line (with lots of dark colors and super-sparkly polishes!).

I also heard that next year there will be a special edition release of Sleeping Beauty on Blu-Ray... if that's true, I'm hoping we get a plethora of merchandise for it, liked there was for TLM this year.

That is right next year they will be releasing the diamond edition for Sleeping Beauty (so the equivalent of the TLM release this year). There might not be as much merchandise this year because it will be an off expo year but who know Disney may try doing the "Art of" Series as an annual thing from now on. With Disney they are not really consistent so anything could be possible at this point in time.

Last edited:
I agree! And if they wanted the English vibe why didn't they hire an English actress to play her? We have lots of brilliant actresses! I think they hired an English actress for cinderella though!

Elle fannings accent is going to bother me during the movie I can tell :/! It's like in Snow White and the huntsman, Kristen's random
English accent was really bad :lol:

Not so much Elle Fanning's bad accent but the lifelessness of the delivery of lines kinda disappointed me me :(

I think Meryl streep would have been great as Maleficent! (ok still an american) She has a 'gaunt' face more like Maleficent, she has a great and commanding voice, I think shes really classy and sophisticated, she does theatre too. I have never associated Angelina with a great voice or um any of the other things I said about Streep (sorry jolie but you've been nominated for razzies like 4-5 times) to me she's sort of type-cast for her sex appeal? o_0
Unfortunately Streep is already the witch in 'Into the Woods' I think out next year too...maybe if not for that she might have ended up as Maleficent, hmm.
I just think Maleficent comes across as the most sophisticated character with the ultimate iconic voice not just out of disney films - I think she has one of the greatest iconic voices in film. She's s keeps popping up on 'greatest villain' lists. The writing was very to-the-point. 'HOW DARE YOU MEDDLE WITH THE FORCES OF EEVIL!' its almost funny, if you were writing a villain today that would be a parody (villains have to be layered now -_- which is great but why all the time) but for her it just sounded great

I had a lot of thoughts on this movie after the footage at D23 that I posted on Facebook. None of that's changed so I'll post it here (second paragraph was a reply):

Some catch up thoughts: I'm still horribly torn on "Maleficent". I was sort of against it from the get go, especially one Joli was on board (not like I can think of anyone that can approach Audley). Hearing the keynote on it and seeing the footage has me more conflicted than against it. On one hand, Joli isn't bad in the footage they showed, and a lot of the sets and art mimic Earl's visionary art. That pleased me. What I didn't like was that they went on and on about wanting to be counterpoint to the 59 classic, not a re-imagining, and yet they completely changed the curse. She no longer curses her to die at sixteen with Merryweather softening it to slumber awoken be true love's kiss but instead has her make it "a sleep-like death to be broken by true love's kiss". It's ridiculous. One doesn't sit there claiming this is just the other side and then go make a change that so drastically alters what the character does. They also make it clear that they want her to be sympathetic, stating that a king (Stefen no doubt) betrays her to set her on the dark path, that the fairies might not be the best parents, that she grows infatuated with Aurora, and that they hope when the fight with Philip comes you might just be rooting for the other side. This, to me, sounds like there's no way this film is going to be counterpoint but instead a complete revision of the 59 Sleeping Beauty with Maleficent as the tragic, misunderstood heroine that cursed that child of the guy that betrayed her but somehow finds redemption through her instead of being "the Mistress of All Evil" we all know and love. The only thing left is the general story structure and art style and I'd be fine with that if they weren't pulling this whole counterpoint bs instead of saying it was merely "inspired by". For crying out loud, they even switched Fauna and Merryweather.

Merryweather was my favorite of the fairies too, even if it was technically her fault by telling Maleficent, "You weren't wanted" (now it's Stefen saying, "you're not supposed to be here"). Now they have a blue fairy being interrupted when she comes in but she's uttered most I'd not all of her gift. So I'm not sure if they just interrupt MW later, had her go second so it's Fauna that still has one out they changed the colors.

It's just crazy because so much is verbatim. The castle is spot on, Joli's costume is relatively close enough and she's playing close to Audley. The words of the curse are exactly the same except the ending. It's really odd that they go so far to excite the fan in me and then dash it on the rocks by making massive changes to key aspects of the lore and motivations. I expect changes and expansions, but make up your mind if it's to be faithful or new .

This trailer continues it. I like the look for the most part as it's very Earl except with a darker scheme (since apparently that's in for fairy tale films) and don't mind Joli (though why she isn't green/cyan is beyond me). Absolutely hate the whole exchange between Aurora and Maleficent. There's just so much wrong with this film that I'm partly dreading it. If a kids book can do a convincing "other side" that doesn't really mess with the established film (where-in Aurora always takes delight in Philip's amusing stories about having to fight some dragon to save her), why can't this? Sure, Sleeping Beauty could use more character development, but I rather like the whole villain being motivated by being spurned at a baby shower bit. It's oh so fickle and evil compared to what this film suggests.

Really, if they just claimed this was mostly unrelated with the film I love dearly, I'd probably look forward to it. Can't be any worse than Burton's lackluster Alice.

Hot Toys wise, it'd be awesome if they did one that looked like Marc Davis' design. I'm also looking forward to the Sleeping Beauty merchandise resurgence assuming it's not all this new film. Would love a great blue dress figure/doll.

Also looking forward to the new Blu-ray release assuming they get the colors right this time and leave some grain in. Though it could be perfect and it'll never replace my 50th edition since it's signed by Ron Dias and Mary Costa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back