• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

More Designer Couples dolls and pins to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Designer Couples dolls and pins to come
Pocahontas will be a tough one, but I'm sure they will come up with something. They seem to like embroidery a lot with this set, so I could see them doing sort of her normal dress but with cool nature embroidery on it, like branches on a Sycamore tree, and they can easily put on multi-colored jewels in a spiral up pattern to represent "the colors of the wind" like when all the beautiful multi-colored leaves wrap around her? I'd love something like this, whatever they do they need to make her more colorful! I thought the original designer Pocahontas was a little rough, the brown was too dark for her dress, and she really just kind of looked like a long lost Kardashian to me... haha :p

I totally agree!!! Pocahontas is my favorite Disney Princess and I hated how they did the first designer doll (was at the D23 expo in 2011 and didn't even recognize her until I saw her arm tattoo). I eventually bought her bc I wanted some limited edition doll for her (I made her a necklace and gave her a better accessory). Her outfit may be brown, but the designers can use that brown canvass to put in colorful leaf embroideries swirling around her. I also want to see a different make-up as the first designer's make-up really did look like a Kardashian's :lol:

Like the Ariel set, I'd like to see Aurora and Tiana in a dress that Disney never really puts them in! Aurora and Phillip would look great if they are in their outfits when singing and dancing to "Once Upon A Dream." I would love to see Tiana in the blue party dress, but actually I'd love to see her in anything else but the lillypad wedding dress bc it's so overly used.

It would be great to see Cinderella with strawberry-blond hair and a silver ballgown, but would Disney do it?

As for Mulan, I'm fine with anything as long as it's not her "pink matchmaker bridle gown." Like Pocahontas in the white ballgown, the whole matchmaker dress is not who Mulan is either (hence the song "Reflection"). In fact it makes me a bit agitated each time I see Mulan in the parks or in merchandise because she's wearing that matchmaker dress 99% of the time; just like how Tiana is walking around the park in her wedding dress when I would expect to see Tiana in a restaurant since her dream during the whole movie was to have her own restaurant. Sorry about my technicalities lol I don't expect these little details to be fixed any time soon *sigh*

Makes me wonder how far they could go with this line - what would be next, female villains paired with male villains. That might be something I'd get. Still hoping for different characters matching with the original sets. If they do a series 2 of Fairytale, it would be great if they finally made Cinderella in silver and white, maybe only the embellishments could be in blue. I'm very curious to see what they will do to Pocahontas.

I'm so happy Disney thought of Mulan and Pocahontas; they're usually put on the back burner but they are two of my favorites being the princesses I grew up watching with my younger sister:) It doesn't matter to me who they pair them with, I'll get them either way:)...well as long as hubby allows me to expand my collection since I've already taken a bedroom and part of the office lol

Last edited:
I'd love Aurora in her peasant dress equally as much as I'd love it in the blue dress. When they do a 17" doll, I hope they do something with the material that changes color in different light (pink to blue) sort of like how Designer Ursula's "tentacles" go from like black to purple if you hit it right with the light.[/QUOTE]

I think you're referring to iridescent fabric (like a soap bubble that carries a different color depending on the angle). That is such a wonderful and creative idea. I also really want Phillip and Maleficent. If they are continuing with the romantic moments theme for the designer collection, then Aurora should be in her peasant dress. I would love a 17" Aurora in an iridescent gown and a designer set in the peasant dress. They will likely save her for last or second to last and imagine the race to get Cinderella and Aurora will be tough. I also think that since Eric and Ursula were a fast sell out, that Maleficent and Phillip will take seconds. It's funny how this year's dolls buying isn't over and we are already on to next year.

Makes me wonder how far they could go with this line - what would be next, female villains paired with male villains. That might be something I'd get. Still hoping for different characters matching with the original sets. If they do a series 2 of Fairytale, it would be great if they finally made Cinderella in silver and white, maybe only the embellishments could be in blue. I'm very curious to see what they will do to Pocahontas.

If they continue with this line it should be "significant romantic moments." That would mean the Silver Ball gown for Cinderella and the peasant dress for Aurora. The other three would be tricky. Tiana and Naveen fell in love as frogs, Pocahontas was in a deerskin dress (depending on what man you go with), and Mulan was possibly a warrior. Do you think Tiana and Mulan should be in the ending scene outfits? I would love Tiana's gown embroidered with beautiful green fabric. Mulan is a tricky one for me....what is her iconic romantic moment?

Do you think that the designer line will have much of a future? I know that not everyone collects the entire set but for those that do we are eventually going to run out of space and the dolls will not be as unique and exclusive especially if they continue to keep doing the princesses only. I am with you in that they really should do the different lines during the non-expo years like they did with the villains last year. That way it keeps things fresh and interesting. Maybe going forward Disney will just start calling the line the Designer line and make different types of dolls and just add the word designer in front of it.

For example this years DFDC line is not really much of a designer line. It would have been better for Disney to just call it the Fairytale line because really all it was was a glammed up version of their usual outfit from the movie. The only one would would have been close to designer was Belle all the others really just looked like a smaller more expensive version of the LE dolls. I know a lot of people may not agree with what I have to say but I have a feeling that by continuing with just a "designer" line with princesses Disney will be killing what once was a coveted collection. Especially since the quality of some of the dolls people have been receiving have been rather poor. I feel that these will eventually become like Barbie and the limited edition and collector tag will no longer mean anything. However one thing for sure is that the first line will always be the exclusive and the one that caused dollmageddon so I think it will be the only one that will retain any value or exclusivity out of any other lines Disney should decide to release in the future.

I agree with you Polaris! I think they have added the word "Designer" to the Fairytale Couples collection to highlight that the dolls come with the same base and case as the previous collections. In my own personal opinion, I would only like to see a Heroines & Princess Brides collection. After that, I think Disney should stop doing Designer dolls, and move on to another idea.

Do you think that the designer line will have much of a future? I know that not everyone collects the entire set but for those that do we are eventually going to run out of space and the dolls will not be as unique and exclusive especially if they continue to keep doing the princesses only. I am with you in that they really should do the different lines during the non-expo years like they did with the villains last year. That way it keeps things fresh and interesting. Maybe going forward Disney will just start calling the line the Designer line and make different types of dolls and just add the word designer in front of it.

For example this years DFDC line is not really much of a designer line. It would have been better for Disney to just call it the Fairytale line because really all it was was a glammed up version of their usual outfit from the movie. The only one would would have been close to designer was Belle all the others really just looked like a smaller more expensive version of the LE dolls. I know a lot of people may not agree with what I have to say but I have a feeling that by continuing with just a "designer" line with princesses Disney will be killing what once was a coveted collection. Especially since the quality of some of the dolls people have been receiving have been rather poor. I feel that these will eventually become like Barbie and the limited edition and collector tag will no longer mean anything. However one thing for sure is that the first line will always be the exclusive and the one that caused dollmageddon so I think it will be the only one that will retain any value or exclusivity out of any other lines Disney should decide to release in the future.

I think they should take it easy with the "designer" title. Too many dolls would make the collection less exclusive. I think that the fairytale collection holds a special appeal to those of us who are suckers for the romance of Disney. For me, this series is more valuable than the first line. As far as the secondary market goes, however, I agree that first editions of anything are worth more in the long run. As long as we keep on buying the dolls, Disney will keep making Limited Editions in some variation. The challenge is on them to each new set appeal to us collectors. This has been a fun ride. I can hardly wait to see what next year will hold!

The thing is, if nothing else disney should have learned that the princesses sell like hot cakes with this second collection. I think we'll continue to get variations on them as l"limited edition" dolls until they stop selling well for them.

for me, I tried to get the first line but if didn't know about this board back then, and never could get the sale to go through online fast enough. I don't think at this point I'd try to go back and collect them as I vastly prefer their fairytale look. I'm not sure if I'd be interested in future collections until I see them, plus practically speaking I'm starting to run out of space:)

i have to to give credit to disney though, things ran much more smoothly this time. The only thing I felt was frustrating was that 6000 was too low an edition size.

In my own personal opinion, I would only like to see a Heroines & Princess Brides collection.

I would love to see both of these. I have to have a LE Kida and a LE wedding Ariel.

I think that the fairytale collection holds a special appeal to those of us who are suckers for the romance of Disney. For me, this series is more valuable than the first line.

I completely agree.

Next time I'm going to pre-order ALL the dolls at once so I don't miss out. I missed the last two dolls from this year and I'm hoping to see prices drop after the first of the year. Hope that Disney fixes their website so we don't have crashes, inability to check out and all the other problems we had.

Preordering the entire set was harder than ordering the last two dolls of the line unfortunately. I stayed up until 3am, only to see the set sell out in about 10 seconds, whereas Ariel and Eric took about 15 minutes to sell out and Belle and the Beast about an hour or so. I also agree that this line is wayyyyy more appealing than the first designer princesses. I saw them all in stores and thought they were nice, but they were never something I'd want to collect. They just reminded me of vintage Barbie dolls wearing Disney-inspired dresses. THIS line, however, is practically perfect in my eyes. I still think the villains are my favorite designer dolls, though.

Next time I'm going to pre-order ALL the dolls at once so I don't miss out. I missed the last two dolls from this year and I'm hoping to see prices drop after the first of the year. Hope that Disney fixes their website so we don't have crashes, inability to check out and all the other problems we had.

Moving forward you will have to be a bit more diligent with trying to collect the dolls, unfortunately if you try sitting on your computer refreshing it after midnight that is no longer going to work, you will need to get the links early (usually posted here on the forum), if you dont by the time the popular dolls like Ariel come up she will be sold out. As Quasimodo said Ariel sold out in 15 minutes and it usually takes 15 minutes for the Disney Store website to refresh and give you the option to find the doll from searching for it. It is just because of the popularity of the line that makes it more and more difficult to get the dolls.

Preordering the entire set was harder than ordering the last two dolls of the line unfortunately. I stayed up until 3am, only to see the set sell out in about 10 seconds, whereas Ariel and Eric took about 15 minutes to sell out and Belle and the Beast about an hour or so. I also agree that this line is wayyyyy more appealing than the first designer princesses. I saw them all in stores and thought they were nice, but they were never something I'd want to collect. They just reminded me of vintage Barbie dolls wearing Disney-inspired dresses. THIS line, however, is practically perfect in my eyes. I still think the villains are my favorite designer dolls, though.

That is a fair point and the current DFDC line is actually quite a nice line, with a few exceptions such as the Beast being a hollow figure which really is a bit of a cheat by Disney but I just dont see how they are "designer"? I get the first line because they completely changed the look for the characters making them look vintage or fashionable which makes sense to add the designer tag to them, same thing goes with the villains. But this line it really just looks like nicer versions of their characters from the movie which is why I believe a lot of people enjoyed the line. It is because the characters look a lot like they did in the movie and this appeals to more people than the interpretations of the characters that the first line went through. So whilst this line does have more appeal the first line has more of a stand out quality about them due to the fact that they really are different hence why they have sold more on the secondary market.

I just see the line deviating away from what it was originally supposed to be, hence why I thought the tag Fairytale collection would have been sufficient and it was not necessary to use the term designer. It just makes me question where Disney is going with this "Designer" series and whether or not they should change the name of the line accordingly to better suit it rather than just stick with what they have got.

Also in terms of the edition size I think the 6,000 was a fair edition size as it does keep the hype alive and still makes it reasonable to get the dolls if they went more than 6,000 for the first three in the set some of them would probably still be on the website and that is not necessarily a good thing. By limiting it and then having it sell out fast it really keeps the hype and the "limited" aspect of the line alive. It is unfortunate that some people do miss out but if you are diligent and do your research then you should not have any issues getting the dolls online.

I guess I better start saving my money now. I need the Aurora doll!
I am going to get everything Aurora this year. I got almost all of the Ariel stuff this year except Eric and Ursula, but Ill try for those on ebay at some point.

I should have tried for the whole set this time around. I know it was hard but if I got lucky it would have been easier and less stress.

I have been thinking what I would REALLY want in my collection, and that would be a "designer" doll set of the Princess with a parent (maybe all fathers?). Examples: Ariel (with fins) and King Triton, Jasmine and Sultan, Belle and her father Maurice, Merida and her mother or father, Rapunzel with either of her parents, Pocahontas with her Father the Indian Chief, Mulan and her father, Sleeping Beauty and her Father . . . It could be called the Designer, Parents of Princesses. Ok, sounds cheesy, but I think it would be SOOOOO cool.

I have been thinking what I would REALLY want in my collection, and that would be a "designer" doll set of the Princess with a parent (maybe all fathers?). Examples: Ariel (with fins) and King Triton, Jasmine and Sultan, Belle and her father Maurice, Merida and her mother or father, Rapunzel with either of her parents, Pocahontas with her Father the Indian Chief, Mulan and her father, Sleeping Beauty and her Father . . . It could be called the Designer, Parents of Princesses. Ok, sounds cheesy, but I think it would be SOOOOO cool.

Omg...I really like some of those! Especially Ariel and Triton, Jasmine and the Sultan, Belle and Maurice :) But if it's parents collection I always felt like Aurora's parents were the fairies and Rapunzels was unfortunately Gothel :( But Jasmine and the Sultan would be so cute. I'd like a 'pets' doll of her with some kind of really fancy large flocked and jointed Rajah too

Hm...so I'm reading mixed responses on pre-ordering the entire set. I know that I want all of the second series, but should I be trying my luck for getting all of them individually, or should I go for the pre-order?

Well, for those who pre-ordered the set, turns out Snow White is not matching. That is 4 of the 5 sets have matching numbers and Snow White is the lone one that doesn't match :(

A great enhancement for the forum is to add controls where guests cannot view links or pictures; only registered members. This would put a wall between collectors and those who use this site just to get the links. Another forum I used to belong to does this and I believe it cuts down on the scalpers/resellers/flippers. But, it would only be a matter of time before they figure out a way around it. I'm sure the set next year will be harder to get now that they hype has been built. I'm personally still hopeing they do a heroine line because I need more alice dolls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back