• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New Contribution Received at Show Me The Pins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Contribution Received at Show Me The Pins!

showmethepins

Gotta Find Mickey Pins!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Jared here from "Show Me The Pins." I just wanted to acknowledge a very generous donation of 14 pins to our project from Laurie-Ann Brock. She's been a friend of ours for many years and we appreciate her support.

Our project starts on January 1 so you may want to take a look at our current collection and see if you're willing to trade us any from our PinPics want list in exchange for what we have. Most of our current pins probably classify as "traders" to most of us, but just trading one trader for another would get you involved in our exciting project. Thanks for your support and stay tuned for further updates!

You can view the pins on the "The Collection" page of our website (www.showmethepins.com) or our PinPics member ID "showmethepins". But basically we received a couple of the old Who Want's to be a Millionaire Play It! prize pins, The Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs 8-pin set from the Disney Store, and 4 other older pins. Unfortunately none that feature just Mickey (one with Mickey and Minnie, but that doesn't count in this edition) so we'll have to trade or sell all of them. But I guess that's a fun part of the project; having to trade to be successful!

You can view the pins on the "The Collection" page of our website (www.showmethepins.com) or our PinPics member ID "showmethepins". But basically we received a couple of the old Who Want's to be a Millionaire Play It! prize pins, The Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs 8-pin set from the Disney Store, and 4 other older pins. Unfortunately none that feature just Mickey (one with Mickey and Minnie, but that doesn't count in this edition) so we'll have to trade or sell all of them. But I guess that's a fun part of the project; having to trade to be successful!

Just a thought, but you should make it a rule that you can't receive any of the Mickey's as donations and that you have to trade/buy them all. Donations should only be traders to keep the project more "pure" since donations to the final tally kind of defeat the purpose. Again, just a thought! :)

here's the board so far (hope you guys don't mind!)

12132010.jpg

Just a thought, but you should make it a rule that you can't receive any of the Mickey's as donations and that you have to trade/buy them all. Donations should only be traders to keep the project more "pure" since donations to the final tally kind of defeat the purpose. Again, just a thought! :)

I do like that thought, it surely would keep it more pure. At the same time I don't want to discourage anyone who happens to just have a pin or two that they can spare and they happen to match our current theme. Let me give it some thought...

@Cicada: Thanks for posting a pic of the board, I don't mind at all!

I do like that thought, it surely would keep it more pure. At the same time I don't want to discourage anyone who happens to just have a pin or two that they can spare and they happen to match our current theme. Let me give it some thought...

@Cicada: Thanks for posting a pic of the board, I don't mind at all!

Oh, you could still receive donated Mickeys, but you would have to trade them away and not count them in the final Mickey collection tally.

Oh, you could still receive donated Mickeys, but you would have to trade them away and not count them in the final Mickey collection tally.

Hmm, that sounds cool to me. Good idea! I'll have to see if I can incorporate that in my welcome video, and if not, how to make that caveat known. Thanks for the suggestion; keep them coming!

I would think all pins are going to be accepted -- from what i gather from the video, the goal is to have 100 mickey-only pins, in 100 days, with an opening budget of $100. Donations are taken, but ultimately the goal is to have a collection of pins worth well over the initial investment of $100, so the goal here is value -- if they're donated a pin with a high value (and meets the criteria of mickey-only, etc..), unless they receive an profitable trade, then the pin shouldn't be traded away. :dunno:

Hi Cicada, thanks for your input. The goal really isn't 100 pins necessarily, it's just as great of a collection as we can possibly get within 100 days and without spending more than 100 dollars. I'm unsure how it will turn out. We could have 50 or less pins, but valuable ones, or we could have 200+ pins, but considered by most of us to be "traders". We'll have to see what happens.

The debate about what to do with donated pins is beginning to fascinate me. Should we have to trade them away, no matter what, or can we choose to keep valuable donations that meet our current edition's theme? I'm open to more discussion on this. Perhaps I'll make this topic our next poll on the website. Either way, I appreciate the input!

I would think all pins are going to be accepted -- from what i gather from the video, the goal is to have 100 mickey-only pins, in 100 days, with an opening budget of $100. Donations are taken, but ultimately the goal is to have a collection of pins worth well over the initial investment of $100, so the goal here is value -- if they're donated a pin with a high value (and meets the criteria of mickey-only, etc..), unless they receive an profitable trade, then the pin shouldn't be traded away. :dunno:

I see what you are saying, but I guess I liken this project to the Trade Up projects. You know...like that guy that took a paper cup and through tons of trades got a house or whatever.... To me this project is about the work and resourcefulness. I mean, anyone can take donations. But only a very tenacious person is going to build an impressive Mickey pin collections in 100 days with only $100. I mean, isn't that the whole point? If you bring in donations, whether you count them in the tally or not I guess, then it changes the project to how big of a collection can you get in 100 days with only $100 and X number of donations...

I think i will send you a trade request on the 1st of Jan (unless it was a good night then the 2nd :lol: ) just to get in the spirit of things. That is of course if you accept people from uk sending in uk mickey mouse pins? :hs:

I see what you are saying, but I guess I liken this project to the Trade Up projects. You know...like that guy that took a paper cup and through tons of trades got a house or whatever.... To me this project is about the work and resourcefulness. I mean, anyone can take donations. But only a very tenacious person is going to build an impressive Mickey pin collections in 100 days with only $100. I mean, isn't that the whole point? If you bring in donations, whether you count them in the tally or not I guess, then it changes the project to how big of a collection can you get in 100 days with only $100 and X number of donations...

I think you're thinking of the "One Red Paperclip" project. (http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/) This project was a HUGE inspiration for our project, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. When the project started the thought of donations never really crossed our minds. But now 16 pins (and counting) later, we have to figure out how we're going to handle them. I mean, if we receive $500 worth of donations in 100 days (I don't expect that, just using a hyperbole) then of course our collection will be worth more than the $100 we invested. Any further suggestions on how we can handle donations without watering-down our project concept would be greatly appreciated...

I think i will send you a trade request on the 1st of Jan (unless it was a good night then the 2nd :lol: ) just to get in the spirit of things. That is of course if you accept people from uk sending in uk mickey mouse pins? :hs:

That would be FANTASTIC! I'm looking forward to the trade requests...

Perhaps all donations should be recipricated with an equivalent quantity of pins??? They wouldn't neccessarily have to be the same value (after all, the idea is to trade up). But, say someone sends you 3 LE pins as a donations, you could send them 3 lanyards back for participating. That way, it is still a trade, and trading "up" in the spirit of the project, but you won't be "cheating". If you don't have anything you can send off as a trade at the time, then the donation could be set aside and not allowed to be in the project until "repaid". Or, part of whatever you trade them out for would have to be the repayment. That way, you are TRULY just doing it with $100.

Basicly, if people choose to "donate" they are really just agreeing to a blind trade. You will send them the same quantity, but not necessarily the same quantity.

Interesting idea... I guess my only concern with that is that I anticipate most of my donations will be "traders" and not LE pins. So sending back the same number of pins won't advance the project at all. I do like the thought of all donations actually being a "blind trade" though. Perhaps if someone donates any number of traders to our project we can send back one trader on an official "Show Me The Pins" card to honor them as a contributor and to avoid watering down our project concept. What do you think?

I don't know....that still seems like bending the rules a bit. Sending one pin for a multiple pin donation doesn't seem to even the playing field enough so that you aren't compromising the initial parameters of the project. And keep in mind, not all LE pins are Mickey pins! ;) So you could very well get LE pins that will be traders because they don't fit the criteria of a keeper in this project.

mmmmmmm.....I'll ponder some more.....

I appreciate the help figuring this one out. For a case study, what would I send back for the donation of the 8 Snow White pins I received today? I would have to buy 8 "traders" to send back? I think that would be sending me in the wrong direction... I completely agree that a plethora of donations would weaken the project concept, but if we set the standard of "a pin for a pin" I would get nervous that I would get a bunch of donations of really undesirable (maybe even scrapper or counterfeit) pins so they could get an equal number of pins back that couldn't be worse than the ones they donated. Know what I mean? Ahh, decisions, decisions. At least we have a couple of weeks to figure it out. Thanks again for the insight...

I appreciate the help figuring this one out. For a case study, what would I send back for the donation of the 8 Snow White pins I received today?

No more CASE STUDIES!!!! LOL Just joking (reference to the infamous case study post....)

I think this is where you have to be careful about donations period. I'm mean, if someone is going to be rude enough to send scrappers then you'd just have to tell them "thanks, but I can't use these". Or, maybe the donation is only "repaid" if you were actually able to make use of the pins. So, if you trade out the donation pins you have to make sure that trade them for enough to send a pay back as well as eek out a gain for the project. At the end, if you couldn't use them then they just sit in the "unused donations" bucket.

Or, maybe the route to go would be to not accept donations at all. If someone wants to help then they can "donate" by trading easy with you. Like say, trade you an LE 250 they got on sale for two hidden mickeys or something like that.

HAHA, I was hoping to get a reaction from "case studies".... Good stuff!

Yeah, we have a couple of weeks to mull this over. Perhaps the best idea yet is your idea to say "no donations" and if they want to help the project they can trade easy with me. I'll keep you posted on what direction we choose, but if you have any other suggestions please continue to share. It's VERY much appreciated.

I tend to agree with erudolf. By taking donations, you are not starting with only $100. You are starting with at least 16 pins already that could already lead you to things that you need. When building a collection, people do not start it off by taking donations. That is just my theory, my opinion. You might be zapped anonymously with 1 or 2 pins here or there, but ordinary people starting to collect do not always receive the benefit of "donations." Again, that is just my take on the whole thing. Other than that, the project seems pretty awesome and I am interested to see the progress! I hope good things happen for you!

I'd say either pay a small amount for them which would come out of your $100 or try to work out multi trades for them so that you have pins to keep and repay.

Here's one additional thought on this (my mind has been racing!): If you look at the red paperclip project, nobody would trade a fish pen (valued at maybe $1.50) for a red paperclip (valued at maybe $0.05) and think they're getting a good deal. They make that trade because they want to be a part of the project and because they want to be a small part of the project's success. That's the same motivation Marci and Laurie-Ann have had when donating to our project. So I do agree with the comments on this thread that it would be better if those "donations" were actually trades and I plan to make them trades by sending pins back to Marci and Laurie-Ann once I start the project. BUT, I'm not convinced that I would need to send 14 pins back to Laurie-Ann, perhaps a handful. After all, she's not participating in the project to increase the value of her collection; she just wants to be a part of the project's success. What are your thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back