• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New to trading...mistakes already made :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to trading...mistakes already made :(

cristywill

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
139   0   0
I began collecting pins through the Disney Movie Club with my son, and now I'm starting to get hooked! I love Disney! I use to collect Disney figurines from the Disney Store, but they somehow all ended up in a garage sale. :shock: I love the variety in pins and how it's not about the value of the pin but love of collecting them!

Before I did any resesarch, I went to an auction site and bought some really cheap pins. I figured they were just mass produced and that's why they are so cheap. Yeah, they were all scrappers.:down: Lesson learned. They are still super cute, I might try to make magnets out of them.

We are also planning a trip to WDW in the summer and my son is really excited to trade pins with CM. After reading several of the message boards, I'm now super paranoid about scrappers. Any advice on where it's better to trade pins? We are staying at a WDW resort, would it be better to trade with resort staff rather than at the parks? We'll only be there for 5 days and I don't want to spend a ton of time pin trading. I'd rather ride space mountain 10 times.

Any advice you guys could provide would be great! I am excited to be a new part of this community and having a hobby I can share with my kids!

Hi Cristy
Welcome to DPF!you have come to the right place to get your ??'s answered
You can purchase pins off our sale site here..the sellers are GREAT!and they sell real pins
I know I have bought several from them,also you can purchase lanyard starter kits,some come with 4 pins alike
2 to trade or 3 and 1 to keep,also buy the starter mini packs,.like the toddler series or pirates series
www.pinpics.com,I see you are registered will help as well,just serach what you wanna look for
Have fun at WDW and trading with the CM..its alot of fun!

Judy

Hello and welcome. First, let me just say the trading game depends on the age of your child. If they are very young and are happy with the pin they got, what does it matter if it turns out to be a scrapper. Just let him enjoy the magical experience. You can throw them out later. If he is old enough to understand the scrapper concept, then explain it carefully to him and stand close when he trades so he can ask your advice if necessary. Never think kids don't get it - they catch onto a lot more than adults give them credit for getting. Let him enjoy the day and remember - we are all kids when we pass through the gates to WDW. Some of us just have bigger bodies.

Welcome to the forum. I made mistakes early too, buying scrappers and such. My favorite mistake I made was buying a "white glove Buzz Lightyear in Box" pin and later trading it for a rack pin from what we call a pin shark.

Don't worry though, help others, they will help you. Enjoy yourself and you will have fun. Of course, the converse is true to. I am sure we all know somoene who constantly complains about pin trading. I am guessing they aren't having too much fun.

welcome youll love it here i stared trading vinylmation on here and have been addicted at the get go so watch out it is addictive lol enjoy

Hello and welcome, I got stung at first too. I keep all my scrappers for reference, some of them are still cute enough to go on my boards until I get the real deal, you live and learn

Hello and welcome! You will encounter scrappers at resorts and parks alike. As long as you are kind and courteous cast members usually don't mind if you ask to look at the pin before you make the trade from their lanyard. My advice would be to read as much as you can about scrappers here and then apply what you learn when you get to the parks. As Margaret said above have fun with the pin trading. As long as you and your kids are enjoying it don't get too wrapped up in the scrapper thing. When you get home you can go through your pins on pinpics and then purge or re-purpose what turns out to be a scrapper or counterfeit.

You will have a blast. It is a lot of fun to trade with the cast members!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back