• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Now I remember why I left Pin trading....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I remember why I left Pin trading....

Grumpy74

Grumpy Rule's Chernabog!
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
As most know, I left pin trading for a couple of years & last night at the WDW Contemporary PTN was a grim reminder why I should of stayed gone.

I am an honest trader, the way I trade is differant to most traders & others never herd of but this is for another topic. Last night at the Contemporary nobody from this forum or a few others I am part of stopped to say Hi to me especially the ones I have already traded with. I knew alot of the traders last night as far back as Dizpins & even there old East meets west events. 2nd, i was given a scrapper pin in a trade from a "Pin Trader" that thought he was funny for doing so. Look I am not a proffesional, I do this for fun not profit & if your that hard up to screw over a fellow trader you need to get a job @ Disney (again another topic).

I did 2 trades with my biggest being after the event in the hall way, but for those who i knew were going to be there I bought $350 in the Mystery Stamp Collection, Big thank you to my wife for authorizing that purchase for me,lol... Hope you guys wernt looking for stamps cause i am sure you can do the math & figure how many stamps I now have & what you could of traded me for with a simple smile & hey your Grumpy74.

I hate the fact that the very Pin-Sharks, yes I said it! Pin-Sharks that got us kicked from DTD & other places, were at the pin event but I watched as they too screwed others out of trades & stole from fellow traders. 1 couple I will only identify here as the Jersy couple who used to slip a mng. or 2 @ DTD for bags of traders from Pin Traders was there stole a pin out of another traders book, when I told the trader he didn't seem to care & the couple well they will continue to steel from us at the next event.

See this is why I left, after being at the PTN I realized this, I was frustrated... Thank you fellow traders & thank you pin sharks for making me live up to my true name ("Grumpy"). I treat others as they treat me. :wavey:

Last edited:
I cannot go to the Contempary pin trading nights,when I am there..its too competive
and some NOT all look down at my pins...I loved ALL Star Sports though..it was great there

Judy

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience and didn't know who to look for. I hung out with Lucan (Daryll) and we had a great night. We actually remarked that many of the traders were extremely fair and we found some amazing pins.

Sorry to hear that the "unscrupulous" managed to dismay your pin trading heart. Here on the west coast, we experience the same woes, people passing scrappers, theft attempts by children and adults no less, and of course, those who feel they must take advantage of others. We have learned that if we want to enjoy this hobby, we have to avoid certain traders regardless of what pins they might have. Certainly, there are those pins that are harder to get and would require negotiations, but if ever you walked away from a trade feeling you got the shorter end of the stick, you probably did. A trade ideally leaves you and the other party involved feeling happy and satisfied; happy to get something wanted and happy to met a new pin friend. That's what I feel trading is all about. Afterall, it is just a pin.

Sorry to hear that the "unscrupulous" managed to dismay your pin trading heart. Here on the west coast, we experience the same woes, people passing scrappers, theft attempts by children and adults no less, and of course, those who feel they must take advantage of others. We have learned that if we want to enjoy this hobby, we have to avoid certain traders regardless of what pins they might have. Certainly, there are those pins that are harder to get and would require negotiations, but if ever you walked away from a trade feeling you got the shorter end of the stick, you probably did. A trade ideally leaves you and the other party involved feeling happy and satisfied; happy to get something wanted and happy to met a new pin friend. That's what I feel trading is all about. Afterall, it is just a pin.
+1

I was at the PTN in March at the Contemporary. I also had a pin stolen out of my book. It was very snarky that night also. I think Disney should limit each person to half of a table. One person there had books across three tables while some of us stood against the walls. It was my first PTN, so I didn't know what to expect.

Hi Grumpy and Spiffie,

I am really sorry that you were so disappointed and frustrated going to trade at the Contemporary. On top of pin sharks, and people trying to steal a pin or two from you, I have had friends who have gotten their wallet stollen too, so you really have to watch your stuff.

A friend of mine who goes to the trading thing in California at the hotel where everyone leaves their room door open, and traders come in to check your pins, told me that he saw this one particular trader who is quite active on the forums, and is also quick to jump on you if you list one wrong thing about a pin, actually steal a few pins that were laying around. This person never seemed like the type who would ever do this, but I guess anyone is capable of this unfortunately. I think this event is called "Room Hopping?"

By the way Judy, I loved trading at All Stars too. The people were so sweet and friendly, and did not seem like they were out to get a pin from you in order to sell it.

There are always times one can be surprised trading and actually get fair trades, meet nice people, and come out of there happy, so my goal is to find those times again.

Whoa! That is terrible!

Here's to the fine pin purists who happen to be pin sharks / thieves (to coin a phrase from another thread) You Know Who You Are.. Shame on you! You are a bunch of @$$<$! You all should put together your very own TPN (Thieves Pin Nite) so you can all just steal from each other - I wonder how many fakes would be at that event! :mad:

..also..is there a list of Pin Sharks / Thieves..we need one with pictures..so us newbies will know who to treat like the plague..and if there's not..these idiots need to outed..

Even at the WDW weekend pin event this stuff happens . I had my Figment Sculpture stolen last year , I even had him autographed by the artist . I was absolutely sick once I got back to the resort and discovered him gone . I went back to the pin event as they were holding the Saturday evening dessert party . Thinking perhaps, I left it behind, but I hadn't . I ended up buying another . I was lucky they still had Figgy available .
I cannot believe that pin traders steal from one another . It was a $60.00 lesson ! Don't Trust Anyone !

I'm sorry to hear about your trip to the PTN night Grumpy! I've never been to a PTN, and while I'd like to one of these days, its stories like these (people being stolen from) that make me go, "eh, maybe not." Curious, is there security at these events? As in security walking around making sure this kind of thing doesn't happen? Unfortunately it sounds like they're needed!

What a bummer. Pin trading is supposed to be fun. Sure, in any demographic there will be the percentage that is there to take advantage. I have caught someone stealing from another trader and actually had disney security get involved and arrest them. (seriously, arrested and taken to a real jail) It is one thing to be a horrible shark and take advantage of someone but to steal? I wont have that.

I am sorry you did not have fun. I have to ask though, did people there know you, know what you look like and still did not even take a moment to say hello? I find that pin trading is different for everyone. I have been to events where people said it was not so good and I had a great time socially and getting pins for the kids.

I know what you mean about the social side as I love to meet fellow friends from the various sites I am a member of. I also have a new approach for Sharks and I basically put them in their place since I dont care what they think of me. But the stealing is way overboard.

I mentioned long ago that I caught someone who removed a pin from my book to look at and then they actually replaced it, with a different pin. Nice try! I nicely told them I have to approve a trade and that my pin better find its way back into the book or there would be serious problems. They said they made a mistake.

Point is, YOU HAVE TO WATCH YOUR STUFF AT ALL TIMES. Thats why I hate to watch even friends books because I dont want to be responsible if something happens.

Trade for fun, dont let idiots ruin it for you. There are plenty of good people out there.

As most know, I left pin trading for a couple of years & last night at the WDW Contemporary PTN was a grim reminder why I should of stayed gone.

I am an honest trader, the way I trade is differant to most traders & others never herd of but this is for another topic. Last night at the Contemporary nobody from this forum or a few others I am part of stopped to say Hi to me especially the ones I have already traded with. I knew alot of the traders last night as far back as Dizpins & even there old East meets west events. 2nd, i was given a scrapper pin in a trade from a "Pin Trader" that thought he was funny for doing so. Look I am not a proffesional, I do this for fun not profit & if your that hard up to screw over a fellow trader you need to get a job @ Disney (again another topic).

I did 2 trades with my biggest being after the event in the hall way, but for those who i knew were going to be there I bought $350 in the Mystery Stamp Collection, Big thank you to my wife for authorizing that purchase for me,lol... Hope you guys wernt looking for stamps cause i am sure you can do the math & figure how many stamps I now have & what you could of traded me for with a simple smile & hey your Grumpy74.

I hate the fact that the very Pin-Sharks, yes I said it! Pin-Sharks that got us kicked from DTD & other places, were at the pin event but I watched as they too screwed others out of trades & stole from fellow traders. 1 couple I will only identify here as the Jersy couple who used to slip a mng. or 2 @ DTD for bags of traders from Pin Traders was there stole a pin out of another traders book, when I told the trader he didn't seem to care & the couple well they will continue to steel from us at the next event.

See this is why I left, after being at the PTN I realized this, I was frustrated... Thank you fellow traders & thank you pin sharks for making me live up to my true name ("Grumpy"). I treat others as they treat me. :wavey:

hi there, i am so very sorry u had this bad experience, i know you are a honest traders since even though i have not traded with you yet here, we have talked and know that you don't over value your pins and you try to make a trade as fair as possible.

also, i am sorry nobody was kind enough to stopped by to say hello to you when i believe i saw a post you telling us all here what u were going to be wearing, i would had stopped by to say hi, but this time around is the first time ever i actually settle down in a table so i didn't really get to walk around much except to the table in front and behind me since my boyfriend would stayed with the pins and then 2 minutes later i had to run back to my station because he didn't know what to do. lol. hopefully these people who didn't stopped by were just too busy and couldn't leave their station and didn't visit not because they didn't want to but because were not able to.
now, i have to say WOW about the scrappers, there is a lot of people who have scrappers in their books, do they know about it? who knows, only they know if they are aware of having them, luckily for me, the pins i look for have almost no scrappers(lion king pins), anyways, i am sorry you had a bad experience with the scrappers as well.

now, here something that putted me down a little, i bought the mystery stamp pouches(finally release again) and i actually git like 9 pouches, i got some extras and chasers i do not care for, so i decided leave them in the table and sadly, someone ruddily stole 2 of the stamps i had in the table, yeah it is sad but i decided not to make a big deal about it(even thought it is a bug deal) because i know that if i let that get to me it would mess up my night, i am sorry the same happened to you, it is sad that fellow pin traders do this, but please don't let this push you away from what you so love to do(pin trading).

i completely agree with the pin sharks comments, i wasn't around when pin trading at DTD was allow but i hear a lot about it, and wow is sad, people stealing, people scamming not only people but little kids, i mean come on, i traded a few pin to kids that had really nothing good in my opinion, just traders for things out of my book but i did it because it makes me happy that they are happy, oh my god, i got several hugs from the moms and a few pin traders from this forum that were very happy with the trade, i don't always have to win, as long as i make someone happy i am happy most of the time, i know there are pin sharks out there that ALWAYS have to get a good deal when they trade and always have to win in a trade, but i know you are a honest pin trader, lets just keep doing our thing and enjoy pin trading so at least we can make a difference in this pin trading community. please don't leave pin trading, honest traders like you and others in this forum are needed to keep this amazing hobby fun and joyful. :)

Last edited:

I also have a new approach for Sharks and I basically put them in their place since I dont care what they think of me...

Trade for fun, dont let idiots ruin it for you. There are plenty of good people out there.

We want to know - who are these SHARKS?

..and as for trading for fun..I go back and forth with wanting to meet some of you (local) DPFers..but then again, that might be the beginning of the end of the fun..

Last edited:
Even at the WDW weekend pin event this stuff happens . I had my Figment Sculpture stolen last year , I even had him autographed by the artist . I was absolutely sick once I got back to the resort and discovered him gone . I went back to the pin event as they were holding the Saturday evening dessert party . Thinking perhaps, I left it behind, but I hadn't . I ended up buying another . I was lucky they still had Figgy available .
I cannot believe that pin traders steal from one another . It was a $60.00 lesson ! Don't Trust Anyone !

i am sorry but i have to disagree with you, "don't trust anyone" is a badly put statement, you just have to trust people you know care about you and your hobby of pin trading as you care about their pins as well. so please don't say nobody can't be trust because then you are insulting me and other pin traders here that are honest and will never steal something from another fellow member.

i am sorry but i have to disagree with you, "don't trust anyone" is a badly put statement, you just have to trust people you know care about you and your hobby of pin trading as you care about their pins as well. so please don't say nobody can't be trust because then you are insulting me and other pin traders here that are honest and will never steal something from another fellow member.
I did not in any way mean to offend my fellow pin traders here . Very Sorry ! I should have stated I know whom some of these sharks are and do not trust any of them .

There are horrible people everywhere, you just got to move on and hope karma bites them in the *** someday lol

That's what keeps me going in pins at least hahah

I havent been to any of the pin trading events & reports like this make me really leery of ever going to one... I mean stealing other people's pins? Really? Guess I'll just stick to trading through here or pinpics.

Dear Grumpy, I too have had a bad experience with pin trading it happened quite a few years ago at the one pin event, my first, wanted to trade a pin from another traders lanyard, was told my pins are not worth anything, well you can imagine how that made me feel, was talking to other in the board lines and one of them said that not all traders are that way, and waited for us to finish our turn then took us in the back to trade with them, since then I have made a few friends there, unfortunately they will not be going this year. I too have gotten scrappers from purchase or trade. It is not easy to spot if not in the know about them am still learning.
I do hope that you will continue to be here on the DPF and will have some more happy times trading
fuzzybunny

Hi Grumpy, I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I too have had my ups and downs in trading. I have days when no-one seems to talk to me, and then others when I feel happy that I had a great conversation with someone. I do always wonder about it!

Stealing is the lowest of the low! It is sad that it should happen at an event that should be fun. Unfortunately acts of stealing are becoming more frequent here in the UK.

Stay positive, there are many good people out there!

Sorry you had a bad experience. I only get to trade twice a year in NJ and don't know if we have ever met. I am a total ditz and couldn't remember names if my life depended on it, but I am getting better. I know it is natural to trust everyone, and we do and have been tricked when we trade, but luckily our friends help us out so we don't get burned in a trade. In fact when we are at the event, everyone leaves me to watch all the pins while they search for trades. (it's because I would frighten prospective traders so I am tethered to the table-and also I like the big comfy chairs). Some people might not know they have scrappers and that would be me. I might have accidentally traded a scrapper and if I did, I honestly didn't know. I mainly keep LE pins to trade and do not deal with hidden pins or core pins. Keep trading because we need members like you to help us out and keep the dishonest sharks away

I agree with you completly but i am sure when pin trading came to life it was never ment to get this out of hand as it has today. Not all traders are bad or nor as good at trading (Like me,lol...) but why cut an attitude or look down at other peoples traders when you yourself was at there point @ sometime of your pin trading experiance? thats what gets me going, i know I dont have the best trades but 1) I took a break, 2) I do this cause i enjoy it not because I make a living.

What a bummer. Pin trading is supposed to be fun. Sure, in any demographic there will be the percentage that is there to take advantage. I have caught someone stealing from another trader and actually had disney security get involved and arrest them. (seriously, arrested and taken to a real jail) It is one thing to be a horrible shark and take advantage of someone but to steal? I wont have that.

I am sorry you did not have fun. I have to ask though, did people there know you, know what you look like and still did not even take a moment to say hello? I find that pin trading is different for everyone. I have been to events where people said it was not so good and I had a great time socially and getting pins for the kids.

I know what you mean about the social side as I love to meet fellow friends from the various sites I am a member of. I also have a new approach for Sharks and I basically put them in their place since I dont care what they think of me. But the stealing is way overboard.

I mentioned long ago that I caught someone who removed a pin from my book to look at and then they actually replaced it, with a different pin. Nice try! I nicely told them I have to approve a trade and that my pin better find its way back into the book or there would be serious problems. They said they made a mistake.

Point is, YOU HAVE TO WATCH YOUR STUFF AT ALL TIMES. Thats why I hate to watch even friends books because I dont want to be responsible if something happens.

yes under the post "PTN at Contempoary" I posted it 2 possibly 3x's my Grumpy shirt & DCL Pirate hat. worse part was the cast members were not wearing hip nor neck lanyards for trading with kids let alone a pin board for anyone. My kids who last night went to there 1st PTN didnt have the fun I hoped they would of had if pin trading was the way it was a while back. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back