• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Now I remember why I left Pin trading....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I remember why I left Pin trading....
hi there, i am so very sorry u had this bad experience, i know you are a honest traders since even though i have not traded with you yet here, we have talked and know that you don't over value your pins and you try to make a trade as fair as possible.

also, i am sorry nobody was kind enough to stopped by to say hello to you when i believe i saw a post you telling us all here what u were going to be wearing, i would had stopped by to say hi, but this time around is the first time ever i actually settle down in a table so i didn't really get to walk around much except to the table in front and behind me since my boyfriend would stayed with the pins and then 2 minutes later i had to run back to my station because he didn't know what to do. lol. hopefully these people who didn't stopped by were just too busy and couldn't leave their station and didn't visit not because they didn't want to but because were not able to.
now, i have to say WOW about the scrappers, there is a lot of people who have scrappers in their books, do they know about it? who knows, only they know if they are aware of having them, luckily for me, the pins i look for have almost no scrappers(lion king pins), anyways, i am sorry you had a bad experience with the scrappers as well.

now, here something that putted me down a little, i bought the mystery stamp pouches(finally release again) and i actually git like 9 pouches, i got some extras and chasers i do not care for, so i decided leave them in the table and sadly, someone ruddily stole 2 of the stamps i had in the table, yeah it is sad but i decided not to make a big deal about it(even thought it is a bug deal) because i know that if i let that get to me it would mess up my night, i am sorry the same happened to you, it is sad that fellow pin traders do this, but please don't let this push you away from what you so love to do(pin trading).

i completely agree with the pin sharks comments, i wasn't around when pin trading at DTD was allow but i hear a lot about it, and wow is sad, people stealing, people scamming not only people but little kids, i mean come on, i traded a few pin to kids that had really nothing good in my opinion, just traders for things out of my book but i did it because it makes me happy that they are happy, oh my god, i got several hugs from the moms and a few pin traders from this forum that were very happy with the trade, i don't always have to win, as long as i make someone happy i am happy most of the time, i know there are pin sharks out there that ALWAYS have to get a good deal when they trade and always have to win in a trade, but i know you are a honest pin trader, lets just keep doing our thing and enjoy pin trading so at least we can make a difference in this pin trading community. please don't leave pin trading, honest traders like you and others in this forum are needed to keep this amazing hobby fun and joyful. :)
Thank you, No I have no plans on leaving, i plan on teaching my kids to be fair like me & have fun & hope they as they grow will know who to trust & not trust to trade. They are 5 & 6 yrs old. I am happy to say I went to the Windy City event today & had 10x the fun than at the Contemporary, met alot of traders & traded with them more than those at Contemporary was willing to do with me.

We want to know - who are these SHARKS?

..and as for trading for fun..I go back and forth with wanting to meet some of you (local) DPFers..but then again, that might be the beginning of the end of the fun..
Why would it be the beginning of the end? I am local in Orlando, & if I could I would meet to complete a trade.

Shark: Any pin trader who knowingly takes unfair advantage of a less knowledgeable pin trader. <<That's a very mild definition<<

Is there a list of Sharks, as defined above, on any forum? If there is, where is it, please? :nono:

Edit:

NEVER MIND.. As I was looking online, I realized that there is a potential issue of libel, when it comes to naming names.

BUT, if any of you know who any of these Sharks are, please PM me the information. Thx.

btw - isn't it amazing that the laws protect these idiots..

Last edited:
Dear Grumpy, I too have had a bad experience with pin trading it happened quite a few years ago at the one pin event, my first, wanted to trade a pin from another traders lanyard, was told my pins are not worth anything, well you can imagine how that made me feel, was talking to other in the board lines and one of them said that not all traders are that way, and waited for us to finish our turn then took us in the back to trade with them, since then I have made a few friends there, unfortunately they will not be going this year. I too have gotten scrappers from purchase or trade. It is not easy to spot if not in the know about them am still learning.
I do hope that you will continue to be here on the DPF and will have some more happy times trading
fuzzybunny
thanks fuzzy I hope we can have more than just the 1 PTN & 1 thats in Orlando cause cause Clearmonte for me is far @ $4 a gal in gas. I live by Orl. International Airport.

Shark: Any pin trader who knowingly takes unfair advantage of a less knowledgeable pin trader. <<That's a very mild definition<<

Is there a list of Sharks, as defined above, on any forum? If there is, where is it, please? :nono:

As nice as it would be I was told legal issues would screw it up for us. I know personally who are the sharks cause i have delt with them & all I can say is you must be able to see & judge who is & isnt & not rely on others opinion on who a shark is.

Tonight I am going resort hopping to pin trade with cast members yes at 6pm why you guys ask when the cast lanyards have all been cleaned out? Well my answer to everyone is "I enjoy trading & going with others who share the same opinion as I"

Is it just me, or does stuff like this not happen at DLR? I've been to two DLR PTN's, and saw nothing like this. I haven't even had a bad trading experience at a DLR PTN, let alone dealt with anyone who was snarky, or downright committing theft. The horror stories that come out of WDW (especially Epcot shenanigans) never cease to amaze me. :(

-JD

Is it just me, or does stuff like this not happen at DLR? I've been to two DLR PTN's, and saw nothing like this. I haven't even had a bad trading experience at a DLR PTN, let alone dealt with anyone who was snarky, or downright committing theft. The horror stories that come out of WDW (especially Epcot shenanigans) never cease to amaze me. :(

-JD
sorry to burst your bubble but it does happen at dlr as well. one night a pin trading friend had a whoe pin bag full of disney auction pins mostly stitch i believe get up and walk away from their table. I myself have had pins walk away as well both at a ptn and back in the days of trading at DTD. I have had my fair share of dealing with sharks and snarky people there as well as well as pin guppy sharks too! i have told a person to their face not to bother looking at my pins because she had taken advantage of me in the past and then she had her dughter try and do the same thing, not only to me but to my daughter as well! there are people i wont trade with and some i would not share a table with, in fact if it was the last table i would rather sit on the floor than to sit with them. i very rarely leave my table where i sit because of this.

I guess since you were pretty grumpy and a little mean to me in a trade request you sent to me I should treat you the same way...
Not calling you a liar but how can someone be mean when they are trying gain a trade from you? I would imagine they would have to be plesent if they want to convince you to trade with them do you agree?

Only 1 person have I snapped at since I restarted trading & this would be one who agreed to a trade then decided to play 20 questions about the authenticity of my trade. But in my defence when I snapped I did say thank you & sorry we could not complete the trade.

So if you are this person again for the 2nd or possibly 3rd time sorry, if your not then again I am sorry. But see now I am asking myself why am I sorry if I didnt do anything wrong???
I know why, I try to be a nice guy & be polite,hehe...
Racheltherabbit I have no idea, feel free to be rude if you must to me but remeber you get farther with honey than mollasses =)

-JD
Thats cause thiefs come to FL. to retire,lol...

sorry to burst your bubble but it does happen at dlr as well. one night a pin trading friend had a whoe pin bag full of disney auction pins mostly stitch i believe get up and walk away from their table. I myself have had pins walk away as well both at a ptn and back in the days of trading at DTD. I have had my fair share of dealing with sharks and snarky people there as well as well as pin guppy sharks too! i have told a person to their face not to bother looking at my pins because she had taken advantage of me in the past and then she had her dughter try and do the same thing, not only to me but to my daughter as well! there are people i wont trade with and some i would not share a table with, in fact if it was the last table i would rather sit on the floor than to sit with them. i very rarely leave my table where i sit because of this.
The mom & daughter team were they at WDW? If so hell yeah thats the shark & guppie team & get this, she thought her family was top $h/t till they got busted 1 day at DTD & her husband a Corp. exec. of WDW had to be called down to explain her actions,lol....can you say TERMINATION,lol...

Not calling you a liar but how can someone be mean when they are trying gain a trade from you? I would imagine they would have to be plesent if they want to convince you to trade with them do you agree?

Only 1 person have I snapped at since I restarted trading & this would be one who agreed to a trade then decided to play 20 questions about the authenticity of my trade. But in my defence when I snapped I did say thank you & sorry we could not complete the trade.

So if you are this person again for the 2nd or possibly 3rd time sorry, if your not then again I am sorry. But see now I am asking myself why am I sorry if I didnt do anything wrong???
I know why, I try to be a nice guy & be polite,hehe...
Racheltherabbit I have no idea, feel free to be rude if you must to me but remeber you get farther with honey than mollasses =)

You got mad and pretty defensive when I asked you where you got a pin I was interested in trading for from you when I learned that the pin was not on its original backing card. It just wasn't called for. I wasn't trying to offend you or anything and I even said that back to you, but you just got really offensive and it was not the way a grown man should act. I explained to you why I was concerend about the authenticity of the pin because I have lost hundreds of dollars from buying a counterfeit pin and have also recieved scrappers in trades from people so there is nothing wrong with me being cautious but you acted like it was a crime.

Last edited:
You got mad and pretty defensive when I asked you where you got a pin I was interested in trading for from you when I learned that the pin was not on its original backing card. It just wasn't called for. I wasn't trying to offend you or anything and I even said that back to you, but you just got really offensive and it was not the way a grown man should act. I explained to you why I was concerend about the authenticity of the pin because I have lost hundreds of dollars from buying a counterfeit pin and have also recieved scrappers in trades from people so there is nothing wrong with me being cautious but you acted like it was a crime.
Soooo bringing this up in a public forum on a thread that has nothing to do with yours & mine trade means what? I said sorry 3x, are you wanting a public apology as well for makeing me "feeling" offended by the line of questioning? Even after you agreed to a trade & I already packaged up to mail you? Could we possibly leave this conversation for a more appropiate thread without causing hostility here on the forum or adding fuel to a fire? As a Grown Man I feel i must draw the line as an adult & say Please do not persue this topic unless you want a mediator to step in & resolve this issue for you since I have already said sorry 4x's. Thank you & have a happy tradeing time.

My appology for poor spelling i am tired & its past my bed time.

Last edited:
Grumpy, why did you include these specific pictures in your rant? It looks like two of the men (one in a black shirt/white cap and one in a white shirt/black pants with dark hair) feature prominently. Is that on purpose? The reason I ask is that I am also in one of these pictures and I've feeling nervous!!First off, I don't know you or what you look like, so that's why I didn't say 'hi'. And as far as I know I didn't trade with you that night. Second, I didn't need any mystery Stamp pins because I just finished the two Pooh versions (mentioned in another thread). Third, I didn't really even turn down any trade offers. My wants list is so small that I don't pull out my traders unless I've seen a pin I want to trade for. So, very few people even saw my pins on Friday. I will say that I did meet two DPFer's at the Pin Trading Night and they were both great to talk to and even trade with! I just don't want any of them who met me for the first time Friday to think that because my picture is in your post about Sharks that I am one (guilt by association and all). If I am one of the guilty few, then I guess we'd better discuss it since I've already been implicated.

Last edited:
I didn't try to make that last post all one paragraph, but I can't seem to edit it to make it easier to read!

I'm also sorry Grumpy (or any truly nice and fair trader) has had bad experiences. Sharks are nothing new, in any hobby, sad but true. I started pin trading about 10 years ago (somewhat near the beginning when Disney started theirs), and my (now ex) husband and I were sharked once for sure (we figured that out when we were a little more experienced). It happens. I worked for an attorney a few years ago who is a coin and stamp collector; when I started to describe Disney pin trading to him, he *got it* right away. Anyway, I was telling him about pin sharks and he understood about that right away too, he said the same type of people are involved in coin/stamp collecting (at those types of events and through ads/through the mail). So you can see it's not exclusive to Disney pin trading.

I want to say one thing here about asking for a list of so-called sharks. I think that's a dangerous thing to do. Some people are (1) very quick to point fingers at people and label them sharks if a pin trade they were hoping for didn't go through with the so-called shark; and (2) I've had people tell me others that I know or at least are acquainted with are sharks, and I disagree--I feel these accused sharks are simply difficult or very, very cautious traders themselves. Sometimes the way people define "shark" is subjective. To me, a shark is someone who denigrates your pins over their and/or tries to pressure you into giving up more of your pins or your better pins for what you want of theirs (or buy a pin or pins for what you want of theirs). A red flag for me personally is if I feel pressured in any way to do a trade, so if that happens, forget it. Also, even though I've been pin trading for years, I don't know the value of every single pin out there, and if I'm doing an in-person trade for which I'm not sure of the values (at the parks or PTN), I will try to find a trader I know and trust to ask their opinion, then try to decide that way. If the other person is a decent trader (and most of them are, in my experience), he or she isn't going to be offended by my asking a third person or persons.

As to stealing, ah, well, that's the way of the world, anywhere. Either have someone you trust watch all your stuff if you want to do something like table hop at PTN, or take it with you. It's your responsibility. A few months ago I was sitting with hearts48, and some of their friends at another table needed to leave for a bit, so she was watching their pins for them. This was at DL, so the crowd wasn't just pin traders, it was every visitor at DL. :p A woman and her daughter came by and looked at hearts48's pins, chatted. No trading went on, the woman and daughter were looking for something specific. They went to the next table and were looking at the pins there, luckily hearts48 was watching, because this woman started to swap her pin out for one she found in the bag. What the hell nerve, huh? Hearts48 was on it and was there to prevent it. So the lesson is obviously know who your friends are, and be responsible for yourself and your pins.

I was at the Contemporary Friday night also, and my experience was also pretty negative. I didn't find many people willing to trade, which I expected because I knew I didn't have too many desirable pins. I was surprised how many scrappers I ended up with, but again, I blame myself for not being more guarded. I did enjoy talking with the pin developers and seeing some of the upcoming product. I took a few pictures I'll post this week, although they didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I was REALLY hoping they'd have more samples from the Florida Project, but there were only two. But I will definitely be less enthusiastic about going to another event there because of how things went this time. I don't know that I want to totally get out of pins, but it did dishearten me quite a bit. That, along with how many bad pins I traded from cast lanyards. It's getting so it's almost impossible to find a genuine pin any more. I'm glad that I've at least started to get involved with this site and hopefully will meet more folks who will remind me what a pin community should be.

Grumpy, why did you include these specific pictures in your rant? It looks like two of the men (one in a black shirt/white cap and one in a white shirt/black pants with dark hair) feature prominently. Is that on purpose? The reason I ask is that I am also in one of these pictures and I've feeling nervous!!First off, I don't know you or what you look like, so that's why I didn't say 'hi'. And as far as I know I didn't trade with you that night. Second, I didn't need any mystery Stamp pins because I just finished the two Pooh versions (mentioned in another thread). Third, I didn't really even turn down any trade offers. My wants list is so small that I don't pull out my traders unless I've seen a pin I want to trade for. So, very few people even saw my pins on Friday. I will say that I did meet two DPFer's at the Pin Trading Night and they were both great to talk to and even trade with! I just don't want any of them who met me for the first time Friday to think that because my picture is in your post about Sharks that I am one (guilt by association and all). If I am one of the guilty few, then I guess we'd better discuss it since I've already been implicated.
no sir picture was random no one in those pics are individuals I am refering to, matter of fact it didnt matter to me at all it was a rant. didnt think the pics would make others nervious but have no problem removing the pics at the same time.

I'm also sorry Grumpy (or any truly nice and fair trader) has had bad experiences. Sharks are nothing new, in any hobby, sad but true. I started pin trading about 10 years ago (somewhat near the beginning when Disney started theirs), and my (now ex) husband and I were sharked once for sure (we figured that out when we were a little more experienced). It happens. I worked for an attorney a few years ago who is a coin and stamp collector; when I started to describe Disney pin trading to him, he *got it* right away. Anyway, I was telling him about pin sharks and he understood about that right away too, he said the same type of people are involved in coin/stamp collecting (at those types of events and through ads/through the mail). So you can see it's not exclusive to Disney pin trading.

I want to say one thing here about asking for a list of so-called sharks. I think that's a dangerous thing to do. Some people are (1) very quick to point fingers at people and label them sharks if a pin trade they were hoping for didn't go through with the so-called shark; and (2) I've had people tell me others that I know or at least are acquainted with are sharks, and I disagree--I feel these accused sharks are simply difficult or very, very cautious traders themselves. Sometimes the way people define "shark" is subjective. To me, a shark is someone who denigrates your pins over their and/or tries to pressure you into giving up more of your pins or your better pins for what you want of theirs (or buy a pin or pins for what you want of theirs). A red flag for me personally is if I feel pressured in any way to do a trade, so if that happens, forget it. Also, even though I've been pin trading for years, I don't know the value of every single pin out there, and if I'm doing an in-person trade for which I'm not sure of the values (at the parks or PTN), I will try to find a trader I know and trust to ask their opinion, then try to decide that way. If the other person is a decent trader (and most of them are, in my experience), he or she isn't going to be offended by my asking a third person or persons.

As to stealing, ah, well, that's the way of the world, anywhere. Either have someone you trust watch all your stuff if you want to do something like table hop at PTN, or take it with you. It's your responsibility. A few months ago I was sitting with hearts48, and some of their friends at another table needed to leave for a bit, so she was watching their pins for them. This was at DL, so the crowd wasn't just pin traders, it was every visitor at DL. :p A woman and her daughter came by and looked at hearts48's pins, chatted. No trading went on, the woman and daughter were looking for something specific. They went to the next table and were looking at the pins there, luckily hearts48 was watching, because this woman started to swap her pin out for one she found in the bag. What the hell nerve, huh? Hearts48 was on it and was there to prevent it. So the lesson is obviously know who your friends are, and be responsible for yourself and your pins.
You hit the nail on the head, You are very right. I also collect coin/stamps but not as much as I do pins, maybe thats why i see whats going on in pin trading insted of coin/stamps,lol... I guess if the role was reversed i would see it in coin/stamps. Anyway's thank you for that post you are very right.

I was at the Contemporary Friday night also, and my experience was also pretty negative. I didn't find many people willing to trade, which I expected because I knew I didn't have too many desirable pins. I was surprised how many scrappers I ended up with, but again, I blame myself for not being more guarded. I did enjoy talking with the pin developers and seeing some of the upcoming product. I took a few pictures I'll post this week, although they didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I was REALLY hoping they'd have more samples from the Florida Project, but there were only two. But I will definitely be less enthusiastic about going to another event there because of how things went this time. I don't know that I want to totally get out of pins, but it did dishearten me quite a bit. That, along with how many bad pins I traded from cast lanyards. It's getting so it's almost impossible to find a genuine pin any more. I'm glad that I've at least started to get involved with this site and hopefully will meet more folks who will remind me what a pin community should be.
BTW John, I still have that jungle book you wanted. Sorry I didn't get to see you at the event either,hehe...

Wow, I did go to to the Contemporary PTN but couldn't stay long because of work. My wife came along with me to see about trading a little bit. It was great to see the new releases especially for the Sci-fi Academy but after awhile she said that she wasn't having a good time there. Ah well, I ended up trading with Guests at MK that made up for it, even introduced a family to Pin-trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back