• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PIN & POP Pin and Pop - Virtual Event Advice

PIN & POP Pin and Pop - Virtual Event Advice

Mcgilligan

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So I finished my first Pin and Pop event yesterday.

I had a great time! I also had a table (it allowed me to display 30 of my traders for others to see).

Some advice: add your traders before the event, update your iso, if you have a table try to have a mix of pins of varying editions (I would say oe to le 300, but ymmv), try to look through the traders beforehand to get a feel of what is out there and to see if there are any pins you want to add to your iso, your iso appears first when you see the available trades, review trade offers frequently (some people throw everything at you hoping something sticks).

Besides advice for those that did not have a table, am I missing anything else?

I participated for the first time yesterday and I enjoyed it. Out of 2000+ pins, I only found one ISO, but I won it! And I found a few other little things I liked that I ended up winning, as well as discovering a couple that I didn't know existed! So I would do it again.

For the most part, I like the trading interface. I think it gives you a pretty good chance at making a fair trade. I do wish there was a way to offer more than one pin in exchange for the pin you want. The way it's set up now, you can choose a group of pins to offer, but the person on the other end can only choose one of your pins for theirs. That means it always has to be a 1-for-1 exchange.

There is one way around the 1-for-1 exchange, if someone has a set/unopened box or package (e.g. disney wisdom set, or mystery boxes)then you can offer more than one pin.

So I finished my first Pin and Pop event yesterday.

I had a great time! I also had a table (it allowed me to display 30 of my traders for others to see).

Some advice: add your traders before the event, update your iso, if you have a table try to have a mix of pins of varying editions (I would say oe to le 300, but ymmv), try to look through the traders beforehand to get a feel of what is out there and to see if there are any pins you want to add to your iso, your iso appears first when you see the available trades, review trade offers frequently (some people throw everything at you hoping something sticks).

Besides advice for those that did not have a table, am I missing anything else?
For those that did not have table, definitely try to align to traders interests and wants. And If you do offer something not in their interests in hopes they want a good trader and they reject it, don’t offer a bunch of follow ups in similar theme or at least keep them to a minimum. (Unfortunately, I can’t put up a sign saying I have only seen like 3 marvel movies, so I have no idea what the pin you offered me even is. Offering me more marvel won’t help.)

For those that did not have table, definitely try to align to traders interests and wants. And If you do offer something not in their interests in hopes they want a good trader and they reject it, don’t offer a bunch of follow ups in similar theme or at least keep them to a minimum. (Unfortunately, I can’t put up a sign saying I have only seen like 3 marvel movies, so I have no idea what the pin you offered me even is. Offering me more marvel won’t help.)

Going to flip this from the offer's POV:
One suggestion for P&P admin is if the platform would show pins I previously offered and the other trader declined. Does anyone know if this info is actually available during the event and I just have not found it? I have not been able to locate it and then when I get the 'trade decline' message and then there is a link to offer another trade I have to try to remember what I already offered.

I guess I am kinda defending those who keep offering the same things over and over again. Its really hard to pivot an offer without some sort of base of information.

Going to flip this from the offer's POV:
One suggestion for P&P admin is if the platform would show pins I previously offered and the other trader declined. Does anyone know if this info is actually available during the event and I just have not found it? I have not been able to locate it and then when I get the 'trade decline' message and then there is a link to offer another trade I have to try to remember what I already offered.

I guess I am kinda defending those who keep offering the same things over and over again. Its really hard to pivot an offer without some sort of base of information.
I found it yesterday. I had a lot of declines so I was able to explore this.

When you click back on the pin to offer another trade, all of your declined pins are located at the bottom of the trading window under a declined offers section.

I understand frustration from both sides. However, just because you may get a bunch of offers that aren't your alley . . . they may not be "pin spam". There are no two people that trade pins with the same "criteria". Everyone has differences. I think in this hobby what you have to remember is that we are all trying to just have fun. I had this interesting conversation on PinPics just a week or two ago with someone. I have a chaser pin that is worth $80 (if you go by selling prices on eBay). Try and offer a pin like this on PinPics. I just get more cries of pin spam and rude responses. This is why I still have the chaser and for that matter, I still have some PoDH pins. I get really tired of people getting offended at trade offers. But, flip it around, and some of these "expensive" Artland pins . . . I could take offense if you offered one of them for my chaser. (I wouldn't, but just using that as an example.) Some people trade like for like (HM for HM, OE for OE, LE 250 for LE 250, etc.). Some people trade by value. Then you get the odd one, like a trader I've traded with who trades by original purchase price. Doesn't matter about LE or OE or anything else . . . just original price.

Also . . . I'd say half the table traders did not fill in their preferences, and that opens you up to trade offers with no direction. I wish it was mandatory, since you can't have interaction. There was one pin that I really would have loved to have been able to counter-offer, if I could have known what the person was interested in.

I did find that the declined pins were shown on the bottom. Took me until about 20 minutes before the event ended to figure that out! :) To be honest . . . I probably sent out some offers that some might have termed "spam" because I had real trouble forgetting what pin I was offering for! The list was sooooooo long to scroll through, I'd keep forgetting. And I was trying to go through the 37 pages before time ran out! :)

I understand frustration from both sides. However, just because you may get a bunch of offers that aren't your alley . . . they may not be "pin spam". There are no two people that trade pins with the same "criteria". Everyone has differences. I think in this hobby what you have to remember is that we are all trying to just have fun. I had this interesting conversation on PinPics just a week or two ago with someone. I have a chaser pin that is worth $80 (if you go by selling prices on eBay). Try and offer a pin like this on PinPics. I just get more cries of pin spam and rude responses. This is why I still have the chaser and for that matter, I still have some PoDH pins. I get really tired of people getting offended at trade offers. But, flip it around, and some of these "expensive" Artland pins . . . I could take offense if you offered one of them for my chaser. (I wouldn't, but just using that as an example.) Some people trade like for like (HM for HM, OE for OE, LE 250 for LE 250, etc.). Some people trade by value. Then you get the odd one, like a trader I've traded with who trades by original purchase price. Doesn't matter about LE or OE or anything else . . . just original price.

Also . . . I'd say half the table traders did not fill in their preferences, and that opens you up to trade offers with no direction. I wish it was mandatory, since you can't have interaction. There was one pin that I really would have loved to have been able to counter-offer, if I could have known what the person was interested in.

I did find that the declined pins were shown on the bottom. Took me until about 20 minutes before the event ended to figure that out! :) To be honest . . . I probably sent out some offers that some might have termed "spam" because I had real trouble forgetting what pin I was offering for! The list was sooooooo long to scroll through, I'd keep forgetting. And I was trying to go through the 37 pages before time ran out! :)
What pin did you really want?

All good points! :) There was definitely a learning curve for me. I made some pin offers early on and went “Oh shoot, that pin could have also filled their wants list.” In some cases, the offer was declined and I had another chance to try to do better. I never figured out how to alter an offer if the person didn’t decline it.

I ended up with 3 accepted offers, so I feel pretty good about that.

All good points! :) There was definitely a learning curve for me. I made some pin offers early on and went “Oh shoot, that pin could have also filled their wants list.” In some cases, the offer was declined and I had another chance to try to do better. I never figured out how to alter an offer if the person didn’t decline it.

I couldn't figure out how to alter an offer, and there were some I really would have loved to alter.

What pin did you really want?

This one . . . Sis and I really need two of these (I mean, one for each of us). Wedge has been our absolute favorite SW character growing up since the first time we watch "A New Hope" when we were about 5!

1683413756.jpg

There is currently not a way to alter to an offer. You had have to wait for a reject and retry.

And also I fully understand that everyone trades differently but this is the first event where I was really started to feel like people were trying to shark me. I put up more LEs this time and got way too many hidden Mickey/OE offers on them, many not on my wants or tied to my interest. I think I may just have to stick to trading only mystery box and pouch pins here.

Last edited:
There is currently not a way to alter to an offer. You had have to wait for a reject and retry.

And also I fully understand that everyone trades differently but this is the first event where I was really started to feel like people were trying to shark me. I put up more LEs this time and got way too many hidden Mickey/OE offers on them, many not on my wants or tied to my interest. I think I may just have to stick to trading only mystery box and pouch pins here.
I had a bit of this feeling also. Like something changed with this event. I still traded some low LE pins for some very appropriate other low LE pins. But I also received more offers that were not great at all.

And also agree, everyone trades and assesses differently, but as a rule, I will only offer my low LE pin for a high LE/OE/LR pin (ex. my LE 1500 pin for someone else's OE pin). In most cases (unless I know the other trader and there is an understanding for how we trade) I would not do the reverse... offer a high LE/OE/LR pin for a low LE pin (my hidden mickey pin for someone else' LE 3000 pin.) Since I feel offering this, without knowing the trade offer recipient and how they trade, has a high potential to be well... insulting (for lack of a better word.)

I had a bit of this feeling also. Like something changed with this event. I still traded some low LE pins for some very appropriate other low LE pins. But I also received more offers that were not great at all.

And also agree, everyone trades and assesses differently, but as a rule, I will only offer my low LE pin for a high LE/OE/LR pin (ex. my LE 1500 pin for someone else's OE pin). In most cases (unless I know the other trader and there is an understanding for how we trade) I would not do the reverse... offer a high LE/OE/LR pin for a low LE pin (my hidden mickey pin for someone else' LE 3000 pin.) Since I feel offering this, without knowing the trade offer recipient and how they trade, has a high potential to be well... insulting (for lack of a better word.)
This a great description and sums it up pretty well. I agree with everything.

As a 1st timer without a table, I did not know it was 1-for-1, so in the beginning, I thought I was offering multiple pins for their 1 pin. After a bunch of declines, I asked this of others, got told the rule, then changed what I was doing. Got a few trades.

In the last 30 minutes, I was throwing everything on the wall to see what sticks. They said they like Star Wars; well here’s all the Star Wars pins I’m willing to trade. Because of the anonymity and pending deadline, I was willing to try anything. If it wasn’t anonymous, even if I have no idea who the trader is, I would not do that at all. However, it gave me 2 final trades, so it worked, if maybe slightly annoying to multiple recipients.

It was interesting, different, and fun. Hoping to try a table the next time.

As a 1st timer without a table, I did not know it was 1-for-1, so in the beginning, I thought I was offering multiple pins for their 1 pin. After a bunch of declines, I asked this of others, got told the rule, then changed what I was doing. Got a few trades.

In the last 30 minutes, I was throwing everything on the wall to see what sticks. They said they like Star Wars; well here’s all the Star Wars pins I’m willing to trade. Because of the anonymity and pending deadline, I was willing to try anything. If it wasn’t anonymous, even if I have no idea who the trader is, I would not do that at all. However, it gave me 2 final trades, so it worked, if maybe slightly annoying to multiple recipients.

It was interesting, different, and fun. Hoping to try a table the next time.
My first event was a gen. admin ticket and I probably sent too many pins in my offers also... perhaps it is the nature of the learning curve for the best way to do these events? I offered more than a couple of trades with 20+ pins. Same thought process "these are all the XXX pins that I am willing to trade" and the other trader can have their pick.

My first event was a gen. admin ticket and I probably sent too many pins in my offers also... perhaps it is the nature of the learning curve for the best way to do these events? I offered more than a couple of trades with 20+ pins. Same thought process "these are all the XXX pins that I am willing to trade" and the other trader can have their pick.

To be honest . . . how else in an anonymous event can you do it?

To be honest . . . how else in an anonymous event can you do it?
I don't believe my offers are greatly impacted in P&P by the anonymity. I focus on offering equivalent pins from a traders ISO list (which is similar to how I use other online trading platforms.) The ISO matches are readily available on P&P during the event.

Anyway, the difference from my first GA ticket... the quantity I offer is currently much lower. I am limiting offers to 3 or 4 from anyone's ISO list (I have not sent a 20+ offer since my first event.) That being said, I have only done 3 events so this could change. In the future I may decide offering 20+ is advantageous. So not committed to offering less, its just where I am right now. My learning curve is ongoing for P&P... and really for pin trading in general.

I don't believe my offers are greatly impacted in P&P by the anonymity. I focus on offering equivalent pins from a traders ISO list (which is similar to how I use other online trading platforms.) The ISO matches are readily available on P&P during the event.

Anyway, the difference from my first GA ticket... the quantity I offer is currently much lower. I am limiting offers to 3 or 4 from anyone's ISO list (I have not sent a 20+ offer since my first event.) That being said, I have only done 3 events so this could change. In the future I may decide offering 20+ is advantageous. So not committed to offering less, its just where I am right now. My learning curve is ongoing for P&P... and really for pin trading in general.

Oh, I totally agree about sending pins that I think (for whatever reason) are nice equivalents. I think 12 was the most I sent, but I most often sent more than 3 options. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes they will be doing for the next event! This was very exciting for a first event, I have to say!

Back