• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Pics down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Pics down
Someone posted on Facebook that she just bought pinpics! It’s in a group I’m not in so I only saw a screenshot of the post but keep an eye out for more info!

she’s keeping connected to Lenny’s imaginary virtual pin game (I’m assuming that was the only way to sell) but she claims her goal is to make it actually work… so that’s exciting!

ETA: oh. Lol. This was posted already. #oldnews

I want to be excited, but it sounds like the new owners realized the technical database challenges were too large for them to start from scratch, independently. So they are already committed to whatever backend Lenny already put in motion. I am kinda guessing they are providing the monetary infusion that Lenny was probably unable to get done in a timely manner, to get the last mile of the new site operational. I suspect whatever happened to mess the site up, forced his hand. The functionality of "New Pinpics" was never as good as "Old Pinpics," especially for large collections, and adding a large number of pins at once, so I have no reason to believe that the functionality of New New Pinpics will be sufficient. I have a feeling sellers will probably have things they like. I only recognize this new person as a seller, so I have concern that the underlying motivation is the selling/profit aspect, which may not lend itself to what collectors value and need in a database. Also, eventually new backend database stuff becomes obsolete and if your Database game is lacking, we will be doing this again in another how many years, dependent on how well this database was designed in the first place.

I want to be excited, but it sounds like the new owners realized the technical database challenges were too large for them to start from scratch, independently. So they are already committed to whatever backend Lenny already put in motion. I am kinda guessing they are providing the monetary infusion that Lenny was probably unable to get done in a timely manner, to get the last mile of the new site operational. I suspect whatever happened to mess the site up, forced his hand. The functionality of "New Pinpics" was never as good as "Old Pinpics," especially for large collections, and adding a large number of pins at once, so I have no reason to believe that the functionality of New New Pinpics will be sufficient. I have a feeling sellers will probably have things they like. I only recognize this new person as a seller, so I have concern that the underlying motivation is the selling/profit aspect, which may not lend itself to what collectors value and need in a database. Also, eventually new backend database stuff becomes obsolete and if your Database game is lacking, we will be doing this again in another how many years, dependent on how well this database was designed in the first place.
Yep... Your thoughts totally line up with mine.

I wonder if PTDB could cut a deal for access to the old pin data from these new owners by exchanging PTDB current pin data. Just a thought... Dreaming out loud really.

I'm kind of excited about the selling part...would it be a place other than eBay (don't have social media) to sell? Will a feedback system be put in place?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Hey everyone this is Molly Ludwig! My husband and I are the new owners of Pin Pics! If you want the skinny on what is going on feel free to message me through the Pin Pics Facebook page. We will have the current database with fixes! The site was hacked and we have our Programmer on it! We are going to get the login fixed. That is first priority! A new website is coming on new servers WITH high security so this does not happen again! Definitely will happen by the end of the year if not sooner (I would rather Under Promise and Over Deliver so could be by end of 3rd Quarter! There will be a Buy, Sell and Trade function with much lower fees than other sites where people sell pins (the E word). More info to come here! Rest assured that Pin Pics is in good hands. It will be a stand alone site with an App component that work together wherever you are wanting to access your information. We hope to launch new site with App at the same time!! Pin Pics will also be a virtual store in Panopolis. I know there has been a lot of frustration and it is totally understandable! You love your Disney pins….I love mine! Too many collections ! So stay tuned…We will keep you informed. And just to let you know…the Mods are in the USA. No ties to China. Lenny is a good guy and he has entrusted Pin Pics to my husband and me. Friend me on Facebook- Molly Anne Ludwig, find me on Instagram- disney_pinmania. We are very excited to serve the Community!!

Yep... Your thoughts totally line up with mine.

I wonder if PTDB could cut a deal for access to the old pin data from these new owners by exchanging PTDB current pin data. Just a thought... Dreaming out loud really.
Nothing could be farther from the Truth….from the new Pin Pics Owner! I understand the frustration……we are here to get this going in the right direction!

Right now I am trying to be hopeful but at this point there is so much work to be done before things will be better.
We have already been working on it! We are in Pin Pics every day and no what needs to be fixed. We are big users and have been fir some time. So be on the lookout for the fix to the login and then beyond!

To recreate this database would take years….we were working on it…..the database is here and we need to get the database and the customer service up to par. We are committed and it will happen!

Someone posted on Facebook that she just bought pinpics! It’s in a group I’m not in so I only saw a screenshot of the post but keep an eye out for more info!

she’s keeping connected to Lenny’s imaginary virtual pin game (I’m assuming that was the only way to sell) but she claims her goal is to make it actually work… so that’s exciting!

ETA: oh. Lol. This was posted already. #oldnews
This is Molly, new Pin Pics owner! Pin Pics will be separate if the user wishes or they can use in the Virtual world. We chose that….great things coming!!

Hey everyone this is Molly Ludwig! My husband and I are the new owners of Pin Pics! If you want the skinny on what is going on feel free to message me through the Pin Pics Facebook page. We will have the current database with fixes! The site was hacked and we have our Programmer on it! We are going to get the login fixed. That is first priority! A new website is coming on new servers WITH high security so this does not happen again! Definitely will happen by the end of the year if not sooner (I would rather Under Promise and Over Deliver so could be by end of 3rd Quarter! There will be a Buy, Sell and Trade function with much lower fees than other sites where people sell pins (the E word). More info to come here! Rest assured that Pin Pics is in good hands. It will be a stand alone site with an App component that work together wherever you are wanting to access your information. We hope to launch new site with App at the same time!! Pin Pics will also be a virtual store in Panopolis. I know there has been a lot of frustration and it is totally understandable! You love your Disney pins….I love mine! Too many collections ! So stay tuned…We will keep you informed. And just to let you know…the Mods are in the USA. No ties to China. Lenny is a good guy and he has entrusted Pin Pics to my husband and me. Friend me on Facebook- Molly Anne Ludwig, find me on Instagram- disney_pinmania. We are very excited to serve the Community!!

This sounds like very good news! Will the trading aspect still be free? Meaning are the fees only going to apply to sales through PinPics?

Well.. We do not need virtual pins, virtual pin games and so on. Please just fix the database, the pin inventory, get the Reference center back up and I, personally, will be happy. Good luck and we will see.

The one thing I don't think they can do is get the reference center back up because the reference center was done by someone else..... I want to say Dis/Dizpins? The forum that everyone used to be on til the owners gave up on pins and that's how come DPF was created?

The one thing I don't think they can do is get the reference center back up because the reference center was done by someone else..... I want to say Dis/Dizpins? The forum that everyone used to be on til the owners gave up on pins and that's how come DPF was created?
It was built by the third part of the old pin triumvirate (Pinpics, Dizpins, and the Reference Center). It shared the Dizpins branding, but the hosting/coding were handled by a completely different individual (Ralph). When the site broke Bev (the old Pinpics moderator) and Docfish tried to contact him but no go. Anyway, it's dead and a reference center would have to be built anew.

But this all illustrates the biggest problem with these sites. For fun, I looked up my comments from when the last time Pinpics was sold. My issues at the time were A. Time in the hobby (which I believe Molly Anne has a longer history than the previous group did) B. All the pin world DRAMA C. The way this hobby chews people up and spits them out. Even DPF and PTDB are ultimately dependent on how involved two ex-pin people want to continue to be. We could wake up one day and find out that Bryan and Ryan have ran off to Tahiti and dancecats and starry_solo can't get in touch with them. The more involved people get, the more C starts to take a hold because all the crap just keeps coming.

B. Is probably a bigger issue, given the fragmentation of pin people between Facebook, Instagram, here. There is a lack of trust, which lead to the diminished willingness to keep Pinpics current, that will need to be fixed once the technical issues are resolved. A database is only as good as the data contained within it, and Pinpics has a lot of incomplete, incorrect and disappeared information (I hope eventually all the European non-Disneyland Paris finally get their Origins returned after they got zapped into oblivion from an early New Pinpics attempt to discard "irrelevant" information) that will take a community effort to repair.

I agree with Hopemax as usual.. as one that has been in the hobby almost since the beginning (& officially half my life..) the cycles & waves trading has gone through is enormous & definitely drama filled.
Pinpics worked for so long because it was a neutral collective that was only as good as it’s patrons but allowed information to be easily entered and shared and when everyone participated it was light work. You had the DLR regulars posting theirs,WDW theirs etc. everyone pitched in for server cost etc. yes it was owned but it was a group

Then it changed and hoops had to be jumped through and correct information deemed false and ‘corrected’ and it was not a collective so people stopped participating.

after it was always mysteriously down during pin events and became less useful and factual I couldn’t tell you last time I logged in and used it as I used to.

I hope it can be good again. I really miss it.

Will there be a fee for trading? Or just for selling?

It was built by the third part of the old pin triumvirate (Pinpics, Dizpins, and the Reference Center). It shared the Dizpins branding, but the hosting/coding were handled by a completely different individual (Ralph). When the site broke Bev (the old Pinpics moderator) and Docfish tried to contact him but no go. Anyway, it's dead and a reference center would have to be built anew.

But this all illustrates the biggest problem with these sites. For fun, I looked up my comments from when the last time Pinpics was sold. My issues at the time were A. Time in the hobby (which I believe Molly Anne has a longer history than the previous group did) B. All the pin world DRAMA C. The way this hobby chews people up and spits them out. Even DPF and PTDB are ultimately dependent on how involved two ex-pin people want to continue to be. We could wake up one day and find out that Bryan and Ryan have ran off to Tahiti and dancecats and starry_solo can't get in touch with them. The more involved people get, the more C starts to take a hold because all the crap just keeps coming.

B. Is probably a bigger issue, given the fragmentation of pin people between Facebook, Instagram, here. There is a lack of trust, which lead to the diminished willingness to keep Pinpics current, that will need to be fixed once the technical issues are resolved. A database is only as good as the data contained within it, and Pinpics has a lot of incomplete, incorrect and disappeared information (I hope eventually all the European non-Disneyland Paris finally get their Origins returned after they got zapped into oblivion from an early New Pinpics attempt to discard "irrelevant" information) that will take a community effort to repair.
Somewhere and I don't know where, the old feedback is being stored by PinPics. Bev got the info from the Dizpins people and they were planning to reinstate
it when the "new" database was released.

One wish I’ve always had is if the non-active profiles can be archived so the trades/wants ratios aren’t so inflated, especially with users who haven’t logged in for years.

Agreed, accounts should go into sleep mode or something after a year or more of being inactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One wish I’ve always had is if the non-active profiles can be archived so the trades/wants ratios aren’t so inflated, especially with users who haven’t logged in for years.

Ditto! Would love to see it so that if you haven't signed in in 6 months or so that your "trade Assist" (or whatever it will be called in the new ones) would turn off. Not kick you off the site, just shut off the Trading so that you'd have to come back on and reactivate the Trade Assist. :) It is super hard to find active members trading when everyone is still listed, even if they haven't signed on for years.

So glad to hear some good news! I really am hoping for the best here!

My account is now under the name of another person somehow, when everything gets fixed will it get erased or restored? thanks.
Somewhere and I don't know where, the old feedback is being stored by PinPics. Bev got the info from the Dizpins people and they were planning to reinstate
it when the "new" database was released.
Thank you momin.ator! I will ask about that today. Our first mission is to get the login info fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back