• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PinPics New Update - July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
PinPics New Update - July 2021
I'll just put this in writing to nip it in the bud.

Any photos that I produced and that I have already uploaded for use on Pinpics continue to have my permission to be used on that platform. Any photos which I produced and that either I, @starry_solo or another Pin Trading Database (PTDB) admin uploaded to PTDB with my express written permission continue to have my permission to be used on the PTDB platform.

I do not authorize any sharing of my photos between the two platforms; if permission to use my photos is sought, please send me a message. Any photos I sent to other traders to facilitate a trade are also not authorized to be used on either platform. I reserve all rights and copyrights to my photos, unless previous permission or authorization has been given.

Last edited:
I'll just put this in writing to nip it in the bud.

Any photos I have already uploaded for use on Pinpics have my permission to be used on that platform. Any photos that either I, @starry_solo or another Pin Trading Database (PTDB) admin uploaded to PTDB with my express written permission, still have my permission to be used on the PTDB platform.

I do not authorize any sharing of my photos between the two platforms; if permission to use my photos is sought, please send me a message. Any photos I sent to other traders to facilitate a trade are also not authorized to be used on either platform. I reserve all rights and copyrights to my photos, unless previous permission or authorization has been given.

@Chris Nickols

Edit/and a note: there is an conflict if my pictures (which I gave willingly to the pin trading community) become watermarked possessions of a for profit database.
Anything I contributed in the past was NOT to a for-profit business to own and profit from, but to a crowdsourced site that shared freely with the entire community without any ownership of that material. That site - the PinPics that was ad-free and not for profit - no longer exists and my content was subsequently appropriated and watermarked without my permission by the new ownership and now the newer ownership to profit from.

They're claiming both that "I do not think copying a description of a pin is plagiarism" AND "No you cannot take pics and data off the site" So they claim they own and can exploit crowdsourced content even if was not created by or for them nor with permission for ownership granted, but no one else can use the information that they didn't create... Mmmhmmm. Same old same old.

PinPics died when it stopped being crowdsourced and people started claiming to "own" crowdsourced materials whose creators/uploaders did NOT grant ownership to them.

Nothing I uploaded - neither photos nor text - is owned by the current PinPics 'owners'. I created it. They didn't. When I submitted content, it was under the condition that it was NOT owned by PinPics nor anyone else but me. And it's still not.

P.S. @MollyAnne while you're deleting other people's content at their request, please remove everything I ever submitted to PinPics - photos and text. I own them. I created them. And I do not grant you permission to use ANY of that content for your profit. (Now watch them refuse to do so even though they're removing others' content. lol)

So here's the problem. The last time Pinpics was sold, the new owners tried to put a ban in place about using Pinpics images and content on Ebay. And the community revolted due to the crowdsourced, non-commercial terms that were in place when they made their contributions and the previous ownership relented. Pinpics listings get used on Ebay because for 20+ years it was allowed.

That is entirely different than someone uploading photos and word-for-word descriptions from another site, without permission. Equating the two will not help with any trust issues with the community, because we've done this rodeo before.

So here's the problem. The last time Pinpics was sold, the new owners tried to put a ban in place about using Pinpics images and content on Ebay. And the community revolted due to the crowdsourced, non-commercial terms that were in place when they made their contributions and the previous ownership relented. Pinpics listings get used on Ebay because for 20+ years it was allowed.

That is entirely different than someone uploading photos and word-for-word descriptions from another site, without permission. Equating the two will not help with any trust issues with the community, because we've done this rodeo before.

Hope I am in agreement with you and we are adding to the guidelines to not use photos from any other another site…believe me there are users that try to add shopDisney pics. Also they need to put in there own descriptions which we look at to make sure they are correct and are useful to the Users etc. We have so much coming for the community that we are building to enhance the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything I contributed in the past was NOT to a for-profit business to own and profit from, but to a crowdsourced site that shared freely with the entire community without any ownership of that material. That site - the PinPics that was ad-free and not for profit - no longer exists and my content was subsequently appropriated and watermarked without my permission by the new ownership and now the newer ownership to profit from.

They're claiming both that "I do not think copying a description of a pin is plagiarism" AND "No you cannot take pics and data off the site" So they claim they own and can exploit crowdsourced content even if was not created by or for them nor with permission for ownership granted, but no one else can use the information that they didn't create... Mmmhmmm. Same old same old.

PinPics died when it stopped being crowdsourced and people started claiming to "own" crowdsourced materials whose creators/uploaders did NOT grant ownership to them.

Nothing I uploaded - neither photos nor text - is owned by the current PinPics 'owners'. I created it. They didn't. When I submitted content, it was under the condition that it was NOT owned by PinPics nor anyone else but me. And it's still not.

P.S. @MollyAnne while you're deleting other people's content at their request, please remove everything I ever submitted to PinPics - photos and text. I own them. I created them. And I do not grant you permission to use ANY of that content for your profit. (Now watch them refuse to do so even though they're removing others' content. lol)
As expected - they refused (via PM) to remove my content from the site and will continue to profit from and claim ownership of my content that they do not have my permission to profit from nor do they own.

@MollyAnne I genuinely have nothing against you personally - you actually might have the best of intentions. But you're claiming ownership of and profiting from my content that you do not have my permission to do and I won't ignore it.

I want my content off your site. I don't give you permission to profit from it. You don't own any of it. CREATE YOUR OWN ORIGINAL CONTENT AND STOP MAKING A PROFIT OFF OF MINE.

A caveat to the community: do not trust people who do not act honorably. Much less those who try to make money off of you without permission.

As expected - they refused (via PM) to remove my content from the site and will continue to profit from and claim ownership of my content that they do not have my permission to profit from nor do they own.

@MollyAnne I genuinely have nothing against you personally - you actually might have the best of intentions. But you're claiming ownership of and profiting from my content that you do not have my permission to do and I won't ignore it.

I want my content off your site. I don't give you permission to profit from it. You don't own any of it. CREATE YOUR OWN ORIGINAL CONTENT AND STOP MAKING A PROFIT OFF OF MINE.

A caveat to the community: do not trust people who do not act honorably. Much less those who try to make money off of you without permission.

Jabberwocky
I sent you a pm to be courteous. You did not share here what I said. So I will. Access to the PinPics Data is free to everyone to have access to on the site. The ads that run do not cover the costs of the site hosting the database for all of the users. We are replacing photos with high resolution photos for the future of the site and the app we are creating.

I do not understand some of the feedback on this forum. So many in the community are excited about what we are doing. We are excited to create an amazing resource for the community both online and in an app to come where high resolution pics are going to make it amazing!

Last edited:
@MollyAnne
Personally, I'm really excited about PinPics getting a facelift and entering back into the realm of "active site". While I also love the idea of PTDB, PinPics is still a more consistent place for trading. Sis and I enjoy using both places.

I'm not concerned about the aspect of a portion of PinPics making a profit -- as long as the trading aspect is always free and open to all. But I do have one question about the photo and descriptions:
As the creator of descriptions and photos submitted to PinPics, I'm still allowed to use those pictures and descriptions wherever else I want to submit them personally, correct?

Last edited:
I do not understand some of the feedback on this forum.
and
I wish you would give us a chance to show you what we are doing
Again, going to start with, I wish you and your Pinpics team the best of luck. It would be very exciting to have Pinpics as a usable database with the majority of pins listed and available for trading. :)

Not mad and not being mean, but hopefully you are open to some suggestions... in an attempt to gently and kindly assist your understanding. If you purchased pinpics, I would have assumed you know and understand the history of your purchase and why people are skeptical and not supportive enough for you (ie, not giving you a chance.) But based on these comments, if you truly do not understand the long time pin traders on this platform, I encourage you to do some research (the information is out there.) I think there is even a thread on DPF with a lot of details (although not sure if it survived the hack a few months back.) Maybe it would allow for more sympathy for those who saw the hobby they love upended when Pinpics was initially sold. Gain some additional understanding of the uphill battle that is Pinpics. Finally, I very much want to believe the comments above are based in 'lack of information' and not something else (to be honest (and provide some additional friendly feedback), I have to overcome feelings of being manipulated each time I read another one and I tell myself this... it is not your goal... to manipulate our community.)
[****Again this is being said with utmost kindness and encouragement to try to understand each other.****]

Another suggestion so you gain the responses you desire from DPF: wait to post more 'rah rah' Pinpics information until additional major changes have occurred. ;) (Yes the odd logon issues have been fixed and more pins are being added... all are great and appreciated, but this is just getting back to the status quo of the last few year. Based on your original comments we are all expecting much greater and grander things. So bring it on! We are all waiting!) :D
Thank you again for being willing to take on Pinpics. We are all eagerly watching and waiting for the promised changes to come to fruition. :donald:

@MollyAnne - I would also like to give you a nice thumbs up! I've experienced some definite positive steps in the pin submitting process, and a big thanks to the giant leaps that have been made so far! Of course, no two people will ever agree 100%, but I am surprised at the amount of negativity that has come up over this. Just want to let you know that I am going to continue using PinPics and submitting and really appreciate all the personal involvement I've received since you guys took it over!

I have no problems with making one section of the site have a fee. Sales rights on many (and I mean many!) sites on the worldwide web charge a fee. I think that most people don't fully realise the time, effort, money and elbow-grease that goes into supporting a website, let alone creating one and definitely let alone cleaning a previously neglected one up! I speak form experience here, as Sis and I are in the same boat on another forum! It is MASSIVE! So, you guys have definitely done a great job so far, and submitting is already way nicer!

-----

Another thought, not too any one in particular, just something that I'm not understanding . . . just because you uploaded content to PinPics in the past doesn't mean the current owners are at fault for anything to do with it in the past. And changes are not instant. Also, when you upload to a database like that, you mainly give the info and pictures away. Post a picture online and it will be copied. No way to get around that. If you don't want text or images copied, then don't post them at all. That's the only way to achieve total ownership. And pin trading is something fun and a hobby. The reason all of us spend our free time submitting pins or anything else is because we want to trade for it or trade it for something else! When a hobby gets negative, it is time to step away. Pins are fun. Pins are something that should be fun. When they aren't, why continue? They aren't a basic of life, really. So, to me - if you share anything about a pin, that's for the benefit of others, and not just the person submitting. I am always saddened to see the negative vibes coming in the pin world. And this forum has never been a negative place. Actually, I've always come here when I didn't want any negativity. I think PinPics is definitely still the best place to trade online as far as databases. Not perfect. Far from it. However, pins are fun and should just be for fun. And sometimes we can get wrapped up in small details and forget to step back and take a deep breath. I know we have that on the militaria forum when we are working on something or trying to change something. Sometimes you have to step back and take a break and look at it from "above" for a bit.

So thanks to all who have made this forum a positive place, and I hope it stays that way for a long time to come! :)

Last edited:
Jabberwocky
I sent you a pm to be courteous. You did not share here what I said. So I will. Access to the PinPics Data is free to everyone to have access to on the site. The ads that run do not cover the costs of the site hosting the database for all of the users. We are replacing photos with high resolution photos for the future of the site and the app we are creating.

I do not understand some of the feedback on this forum. So many in the community are excited about what we are doing. We are excited to create an amazing resource for the community both online and in an app to come where high resolution pics are going to make it amazing!

I will simply reiterate what I've said previously - you don't own my content and I do not give you permission to use it nor profit from it and if you continue to do so knowingly after I have asked you to remove it, that tells the whole community exactly what your ethics and business practices are. Create your own content and stop making money from mine.

@MollyAnne - I would also like to give you a nice thumbs up! I've experienced some definite positive steps in the pin submitting process, and a big thanks to the giant leaps that have been made so far! Of course, no two people will ever agree 100%, but I am surprised at the amount of negativity that has come up over this. Just want to let you know that I am going to continue using PinPics and submitting and really appreciate all the personal involvement I've received since you guys took it over!

I have no problems with making one section of the site have a fee. Sales rights on many (and I mean many!) sites on the worldwide web charge a fee. I think that most people don't fully realise the time, effort, money and elbow-grease that goes into supporting a website, let alone creating one and definitely let alone cleaning a previously neglected one up! I speak form experience here, as Sis and I are in the same boat on another forum! It is MASSIVE! So, you guys have definitely done a great job so far, and submitting is already way nicer!

-----

Another thought, not too any one in particular, just something that I'm not understanding . . . just because you uploaded content to PinPics in the past doesn't mean the current owners are at fault for anything to do with it in the past. And changes are not instant. Also, when you upload to a database like that, you mainly give the info and pictures away. Post a picture online and it will be copied. No way to get around that. If you don't want text or images copied, then don't post them at all. That's the only way to achieve total ownership. And pin trading is something fun and a hobby. The reason all of us spend our free time submitting pins or anything else is because we want to trade for it or trade it for something else! When a hobby gets negative, it is time to step away. Pins are fun. Pins are something that should be fun. When they aren't, why continue? They aren't a basic of life, really. So, to me - if you share anything about a pin, that's for the benefit of others, and not just the person submitting. I am always saddened to see the negative vibes coming in the pin world. And this forum has never been a negative place. Actually, I've always come here when I didn't want any negativity. I think PinPics is definitely still the best place to trade online as far as databases. Not perfect. Far from it. However, pins are fun and should just be for fun. And sometimes we can get wrapped up in small details and forget to step back and take a deep breath. I know we have that on the militaria forum when we are working on something or trying to change something. Sometimes you have to step back and take a break and look at it from "above" for a bit.

So thanks to all who have made this forum a positive place, and I hope it stays that way for a long time to come! :)

Thank you so much Stratasfan!!

Like a broken animatronic from a creepy movie repeating “we have so many good things coming!”, with a smile. Why’re you repeating that after every post as some sort of verbal reassurance. Clearly isn’t swaying anything without actual content.

Response: “I hear what you’re saying, and I agree! So many people are so excited about the so many wonderful things to come!”

Last edited:
PinTraderSam - I am not a broken animatronic. Seriously you do not know me, my husband, our team and what all we are doing for the Pin Community by cleaning up PinPics and taking it to a new level very soon. I have repeated that after the last posts in the last 2 days because we inherited the bad blood from the past owners and I would rather under promise and over deliver so I have not been specific. We are so excited about what our programmers are working on etc. We will have a timeline very soon for the new site. We just purchased PinPics 2 months ago.....and we have had a lot to clean up after it was hacked to secure all of the data both of the pins and for users accounts as well as make the current site a little more user friendly and secure. I wish I could post here all of the positive feedback we are getting from old and new pin traders, and I appreciate the people on this forum that are positive about PinPics and it's future.

I want to thank you for fixing pinpics, many of us really appreciate it. Just completed a trade, and still think it is the best database for pins. I know people are trying to get PTDB going, but there are so many older pins missing.

I don’t understand all the controversy over the issue of content. Once you post something, anywhere on the internet, it is free game. If people on eBay can take the pictures and descriptions of the pins and use them to profit, sometimes at 10 times the original price, do you go after them to cease and desist, as well?

I want to thank you for fixing pinpics, many of us really appreciate it. Just completed a trade, and still think it is the best database for pins. I know people are trying to get PTDB going, but there are so many older pins missing.

I don’t understand all the controversy over the issue of content. Once you post something, anywhere on the internet, it is free game. If people on eBay can take the pictures and descriptions of the pins and use them to profit, sometimes at 10 times the original price, do you go after them to cease and desist, as well?

I'm enthused, since you just completed a trade on there! I really - really- need to spend some time and send out some pin trade requests! Sis and I decided to start from the bottom up and re-list our traders, so we have been working on that. Got so many that we haven't listed yet, that we just need to reorganize! I think I'll see about spending a bit more time on it so I can work on some trades! Thanks for the encouragement!

I think that’s exactly the issue. If pinpics has watermarked the photos contributed by the community, and has expressly stated that images from its site may not be used (which it has), then it can send a cease and desist if you use your own photo on an ebay listing. I’m not claiming that that’s the intention of the new owners, but I do know there was controversy around this very issue in the past and I believe that is why people don’t want their crowdsourced contributions used under these terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back