• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Poll - Would you still collect LE dolls if they weren't LE?

Would you still collect Limited Edition dolls even if they were more widely available

• Yes – I currently collect all the LE dolls and would even if they weren't LE

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Yes – I currently collect all the dolls, but I would only buy a few if they weren’t LE

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Yes – I currently only collect a few dolls and would continue to collect only a few

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Yes – I currently only collect a few dolls, but I would collect all

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • No – I currently collect all the dolls, but I wouldn’t buy any if they weren’t LE

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No – I currently only collect a few dolls, but I wouldn’t buy them if they weren’t LE

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • No – I don’t collect at all and still wouldn’t collect even if they were widely available

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poll - Would you still collect LE dolls if they weren't LE?

Neferi

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another post, a user casually wondered if we would still be interested in the Disney Limited Edition dolls even if they were more widely available. That got me curious about how many people collect because they just like the dolls and how many people collect because they enjoy that they are collector's pieces. So I decided to start this poll :).

So what do you think - If Limited Edition dolls weren't limited, would you collect them?

(For the purposes of the poll, if you don't have any, but would like to... like me... just answer as though you were able to get the LE ones you want)

I collect the princess dolls (so no, villains, fairies or princes.) and I would still buy these dolls if they weren't limited edition - no doubt about it. I of course wouldn't pay the second market price for them though.
I guess the reason why I agree to pay certain high prices is because that I know that if I ever lose interest or something like that I it possible for me to sell them for at least the same amount of money I paid for them (so I'm not looking for making money - just that I would have no loss) - unlike some things I've spend my money on previous to these dolls.

So making a long story short - I would still buy them even if they were just regular dolls, but the fact that they are limited gives me a kind of security about spending money on them. I'm not sure if that sounds strange...

Before I got into collecting the dolls I was actually looking for something that I wanted to collect that was Disney related, at first I saw the Disney Princess Classic doll set and thought that would be an impressive set to own however it was way to big for me to bring back home with me. So I forgot about it and when I got back home from my holiday I decided to check out the Disney Store site and that is how I found out about the designer and LE dolls.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that even if these dolls were not LE I would still buy them just because they look amazing. Although I would not be paying as much as I did for some of them just because I know there would be more of them available.

I am not sure if I would have collected all of the LE dolls if they were not LE but I guess it would depend on how much I really like the characters. I know I would still have bought Buzz, Woody and Jessie but not sure about the others.

I think the fact that they are LE and have numbered COA's make them that little bit more special and is one of the reasons for the success of the line. I think if they were to be released like the classic dolls or a limited release doll they would not sell as fast or garner as much attention because a lot of people already struggle paying $100 for a doll. Don't forget initially no one actually wanted to buy these dolls and they took a long time to sell out, it was not until around the release of Ursula and Eric that they sold out within an hour. Prior to that some dolls took weeks or even months to sell, it is funny initially Disney had trouble trying to sell 5,000 units now they sell out so fast that people are complaining about missing out. I do hope Disney does not make these dolls open edition dolls or limited release dolls just because I think they will lose the appeal and the consistency that the current line has by doing so. Maybe at the completion of diamond edition releases and once all the princesses have had their run through becoming and LE doll then maybe Disney can release a new line as dolls probably not as expensive as the LE line but a bit more detailed than the classic line.

Before I found the Disney LE's I would never have seen myself spending this much money on dolls. I have always liked dolls but never would have been a collector if I hadn't found these.

If the dolls were exactly the same as they are now with the same level of detail, I probably would still purchase them even if they weren't LE because they are so beautiful. However, I don't think I'd be willing to pay as much money for them, certainly not on the secondary market. I do think I am more anxious to get the dolls I love as soon as possible because they are LE and I am afraid they won't be around or the prices will go up.

I'm attracted to them primarily because I am a huge Disney fan and because these dolls are of characters I know and love, many of them since I was a child. So the nostalgia these dolls evoke are a huge part of the appeal for me. I purchased Disney's Small World Doll collection for the same reason and they weren't LE. And I also love fairy tales in general, and since most of the LE dolls are of fairy tale figures, that is also a huge plus for me.

Last edited:
If they were as mass produced as the other OE dolls I would wait until they were on sale like I do with the OE dolls, but I would still collect them, yes. In fact I would probably want them all whereas now I have to love them immensely to justify the prices and space they take up.

Yes I would. I have my "special" edition Queen Amidala dolls (I think they are bigger than 12" but smaller than 17") - the 3 Naboo outfits - as well as 2 special edition Leias (the FAO Schwartz one with R2D2 Slave Leia and the one at the end of A New Hope), along with other special barbies and other collectibles.

So, yes, I'd collect them even if they weren't LE. I wouldn't pay $100 retail for them...well, maybe I would since that's how much the Queen Amidalas were way back in 1999...ugh, how much is $100 back in 1999 worth now? LOL. Of course, these dolls did decrease in value but I don't care (too much)

What a good question!

Its hard to answer because for me it's more a space issue more than anything else. I started with the original Designer line and got hooked so had to buy them all but being realistic if they weren't LE I probably wouldn't have bought them all. The LE factor and the whole dollmagedon made it very interesting and if anything made me more determined to finish my collection. With the Designer couples I only bought my two favourite princesses (Belle & Jasmine) because I knew I'd never have enough space.

But then again I bought all the original animator dolls because they were so damn cute. So probably for me it depends on the dolls too. I've never ventured into the 17' territory but I would be all over a Jasmine next year.

This is a big yes! I have been collecting Disney merch in general for years and Disney doll are one of the things I have always purchased. I have dolls from the 80's and 90's. I Even if these dolls were not LE, I would still be interested in them, it's not the LE factor that draws me to them, it's the art put into these dolls. My Disney collection is art and that goes far beyond anything being labeled Limited Edition.

I suppose it's nice to have something 'adult' to collect too, as we know the majority of stuff on disney store (doll wise) is aimed at kids. It's weird though as now I have my own daughter I dread the day I come home from work or something and she is upstairs playing with my LE dolls. I'd seriously cry.

I've been a doll collector for almost a decade and a half, so I would certainly buy the DS dolls even (or rather, especially) if they were not numbered LE releases. The whole numbered CoAs and the LE sizes plastered all over the box is what made these doll releases such a royal pain because the resellers are using the rarity factor to try to hoard them and then profit off of them. As for the price, as long as the quality matches the price I'm fine with that. I'm used to buying nice Barbies for up to $100 or so at retail cost, so it's not any different than that (for Collector Barbies, though they have limited edition sizes that you can find out, Mattel does not use that as a main marketing point, which I love). I'm also used to paying well over $100 for OOAK commissioned dolls, so yeah, as long as the price is justified in the actual product, I would still buy them.

Great responses so far! It's interesting to see everyone's motivation and interest in these dolls.

As for me, I currently don't have any (only just recently finding out about them), but I think I would be about the same - buy the ones I like - and actually be able to start my collection lol. I've always liked dolls, and $100 really isn't a strange price to me for a quality doll as I used to (and if I had the money still would) be into American Girl dolls, which cost about that, and it was money well spent in my opinion!

These dolls are so pretty, so hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a few someday :).

If all the dolls were as detailed as the LE dolls and easier to get, I would definitely buy more. :hs:

Imagine seeing all the LE dolls on the shelf of every Disney store you went to, and you could just buy them at your leisure…amazing. :p

I wouldn't care. I buy them because I like them, not for the 'limited' value. Honestly, at some point Disney is either going to have to never release another beautiful certain Princess character doll (insert whomever you like) or release another beautiful edition of the character in doll form, whatever they choose to call the line. So yeah, the its limited in the sense that there are only a certain number of that specific doll, but there will continue to be more beautiful dolls made. I just buy it if I like it and leave it if I don't. I think the LE helps sell things out faster and create more urgency to get the item initially though.

Ive become very limited in what LE dolls I will buy, because they are so hard to obtain and its kind of frustrating. If they were not considered LE and easier to get I would probably collect/buy more.

Right now Im keeping my collectiion to just TLM, BATB, and SB (and Tinker Bell). Im giving up my Frozen and Tangled dolls eventually.

If Disney made nice quality dolls like these at the higher retail they are at, but made them more open stock instead of limited to a number, Id buy more for sure. I really dont care that they are LE, I just love the dolls and think they are all really beautiful.

I'm a doll collector in general and not all dolls I have are LE...currently I have 2 of the Disney LE dolls and as others mentioned I really like them because of the art and design that goes into them, so I would still collect them even if they were not LE, but only the ones I liked!

If the LE 17" dolls were just as they are right now I would definitely collect even more if they were not limited. I now only get the ones I really, really love. The thing is, if they were not limited the resell price wouldn't be so high. So I could buy the ones I missed too. Also I think the price should be a little less if they're not LE, and so I would buy the ones I like, not just the ones I absolutely love. It wouldn't be a hassle to get one either then! Now you have to try to get pre-order and all :)

I would most certainly collect them if they were not LE, I collect playline dolls after all. I would pay the $100 or $120 if that is the new price, as long as the quality was the same. I like a certificate of authenticity, but it doesn't need the specific number for me.

Also, the dolls would still go up in value, as almost all well-made Disney merchandise does, because eventually they would stop producing it, so those that want their collection to be an "investment" would still have that, while at the same time allowing for others to own the dolls. I get no pleasure from having something so limited that others are crying because they can't get it and scalpers are grinning because they robbed a real collector the chance to own it at retail price.

Disney probably won't change the style of this current collection, but I hope now that they've seen the demand for these dolls they either start pre-ordering whatever the eventual new line is to order, or make a larger special edition type of set up. They are really the ones losing money and screwing over collectors by not meeting the demand. I know that rarity creates the need to but that can still be achieved while producing greater numbers of dolls.

If they were not LE I would have them!
Unfortunately for me I'm still learning how to buy the LE dolls before they run out, and I can't justify paying the prices I see on ebay. I would buy them at their original disney store prices, but the current ones are sold out. Hopefully I'll be on the ball and have a little bit of luck next time an LE doll that I really love comes out and I'll soon actually have LE dolls to add to my collection :)

I feel your pain, Elphaba! I've missed all the ones I really want. Personally, I wish they weren't LE so I could actually have a chance at getting my hands on them because, yeah, I'm not paying those ebay prices :(.

Maybe someday Disney will give us all a chance to own such a beautiful doll!

My only question would be, "Would they still be the same quality?" It's the craftsmanship that made me take notice, fall in love, and want to collect them. I only started for the villain dolls because Gothel was STUNNING and I knew I'd want them all. Now...my collection has exponentially expanded and is very very space consuming. So, if they weren't amazing quality, I wouldn't have collected them at all. If they were amazing quality and not LE, I'd still be collecting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back