• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

rude or not rude that is the question?

see post below

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
rude or not rude that is the question?

moo_moo_uk

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Ok so i was just wondering if you would think its rude to ask for a pin from someones own collection when they have sent a trade request what does everone think? please vote :)

I wouldnt say rude..... just maybe bad form. I have on occasion offered someone the chance to pick something from my keeps collection when they have something I very much want. But until the point that someone offers it I wouldnt make that suggestion unless it was something super super important to me. But even then it'd be prefaced with alot of apologies etc.

I feel it never hurts to ask. if the TA was for a pin they want from you but you really dont want their pin, I would ask because maybe they would rather have the pin you have and trade their (keeper) for it. It is in no way rude in my opinion and all they can do is say it is not for trade.

Ask! You may be pleased with the results and technically you are doing them a favor because you have the pin they want and are trying to make it work.

I voted "rude" but it kind of depends on how it is presented. If the person is digging through your collection for something better and just says that they will trade pin X for pin Y which is not on your trades list, then that is rude.

But, if someone is just browsing your collection, sees something they really want and simply expresses interest and asks if you would ever consider trading/selling it and if so, for what....then I don't see as big of a problem with that. Just as long as it isn't done frequently and it isn't a substitute for what they already offered.

When speaking in terms of the Pinpics trade requests....if it was on your wants list, if the person wanted to offer it they would have so I think you should probably not go trolling through their collection.

If it is me, ask away. I doubt I would get rid of a keeper, but you never know unless you ask. :)

I could see how other people might not appreciate it, but again, you never know unless you ask.

Vicki

I was just wondering on everyones opinions as i am new to collecting :):bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I feel it never hurts to ask. if the TA was for a pin they want from you but you really dont want their pin, I would ask because maybe they would rather have the pin you have and trade their (keeper) for it. It is in no way rude in my opinion and all they can do is say it is not for trade.

Ask! You may be pleased with the results and technically you are doing them a favor because you have the pin they want and are trying to make it work.

The problem I see with that is that if everyone did it people would get really tired of others asking for their collection pins and it could hinder trading. If it were a generally accepted practice, people with really nice collections would be bombarded with people asking about pins. I think that is partially why people have their "secret stash" bag of pins at meets. If people saw your really good traders right away a lot of them wouldn't even pay attention to the bulk of your trader pin and would just be trying to get the "good stuff".

I'd have to say that if a lot of people started doing this then I would take my collection off Pinpics or move it to a different that couldn't be linked back to me. I wouldn't want people emailing me all the time because they want parts of my collection. It would kind of be an invaision of privacy....

Last edited:
I agree that it depends on how the request is made. Also, I would check to see if I could figure out what their collections are and seeing if that pin "fits" that collection or is it something kind of random. I am much more willing to trade one of my random, "It's a keeper because I kinda like it even though it doesn't fit my collections," especially for a pin that does fit, than I am about something that is entrenched in my main collections.

I just want to clarify.
I would NOT just go to your collection and say I like this pin, etc.

I was under the impression someone has sent me a TA and I have a pin they want. They have initiated the trade and the pin they offered is not one I really want.
I would agree that its not cool just to look at your keepers and send a message saying I want one.

I just want to clarify.
I would NOT just go to your collection and say I like this pin, etc.

I was under the impression someone has sent me a TA and I have a pin they want. They have initiated the trade and the pin they offered is not one I really want.
I would agree that its not cool just to look at your keepers and send a message saying I want one.

I'm actually the exact opposite. When I send out a TA, if I'm willing to trade a certain pin for another then I'll include it in the offer. I could understand someone going back to my trades list and saying "what about this one instead", but not my collection. A TA isn't an invitation to ask about my collection.

But if someone just happened to be browsing my collection and saw their Grail or something (which they would have to be doing in order to discover I had it) then I would be much more understanding if they just casually asked if I would ever consider trading or selling it. Not trying to pull a switch on me because they think they have something I want. That comes with the caveat of course that this would have to happen VERY infrequently. If I was getting a lot of inquiries like that then I would take my collection off Pinpics.

I guess it all depends on how it was approached, but I would say, not rude. Let's say someone here had one of my grails and was willing to trade it for something I had in my keeps collection. Now, I might do that trade thinking when would be the next time I get a chance at the grail, but would never know if the other person had not asked.

All in all, if done politely, it never hurts to ask

Unfortunately I have had it happen way too many times in the last few months....I send out a ta and get a "what about this trade" which only includes me trading from my collection and not my traders....It has been quite frustrating lately. I agree that if someone is purusing my collection and saw something and sent an email I would not be offended, but please don't reply to my TA with pins out of my collection.....

but what if it was just a normal pin? not a "special pin" then would u think it rude or not rude?

That is a good question, I do not know. I would think, in my case at least, if it was approached politely, I would not object to it. I would thank them, and pass, letting them know the pin was not available to trade.

but what if it was just a normal pin? not a "special pin" then would u think it rude or not rude?

Yeah....I don't know.... I mean, it is in their collection and not their traders for a reason. If they wanted a different "non-special" pin more than the one in their collection then I think it is up to them to move it to their trades list. I'd probably be less likely to trade out of my collection for a "non-special" pin. ESPECIALLY now, with the new Pinpics tool where you can compare someone's wants list to your owns list....if I want a pin bad enough to trade out of my collection the I would do that and offer out of my collection. I think it is up to the person sending the TA to offer that, not the person receiving it to suggest it...

If you are just itching to ask about a pin in someone's collection after receiving their TA then maybe the more appropriate thing to say would be, "I'm sorry but I took a look at your trades list and I didn't see anything that would work for this pin. I did see one in your collection that I'd be interested in but I don't know if you would be open to that. Just let me know if you would like to discuss that possibility." That way, you aren't really prying or pushing the matter and then the ball is in their court on whether they are open to that or not.

Last edited:
I really don't like it when people go through my collection to try and come up with a multi-trade! It is my personal collection. If I were even the tiniest bit interested in trading it then it would be on my trades list.

I wouldnt say rude..... just maybe bad form. I have on occasion offered someone the chance to pick something from my keeps collection when they have something I very much want. But until the point that someone offers it I wouldnt make that suggestion unless it was something super super important to me. But even then it'd be prefaced with alot of apologies etc.

+1

As long as people are nice about it, I don't have a problem with them going through my collection or asking. More than likely I'm going to say, 'sorry, but no', but I wouldn't be offended by it. But if they give you attitude to your saying 'no', well that would certainly be rude and tick me off.

As shown in the various answers above, I think it's clear that there is no concensus on the issue. It is going to depend on the person. I subscribe to the idea that is is always ok to ask as long as you are prepared to accept the answer "No" politely. But others will find it off-putting. There is no real hard-and-fast rule on this one.

Good luck!

In regards to the the original posting, yes, if someone asked for a trade request for something in the collection, it would be rude. Like huertajv said, I doubt I'd trade from the collection and would truly be put-off if someone asked for a part of the shiny metallic family we've groomed for several years. Rude is not so much the word to use as crass (Merriam-Webster Dictionary: a : gross 6a; especially : having or indicating such grossness of mind as precludes delicacy and discrimination b : being beneath one's dignity <crass concerns of daily life>).

The pins in MY COLLECTION are in there for a reason and not in my traders, if someone has a pin i really really want then I would be the one to offer it. I would end up taking my collection off pin pics if i were to get responses from the t/a that i sent out asking for things from my collection. there is a reason there are 3 categories, a collection one, a trades one, and a wants one. Maybe they could make a 4th, "ones i would trade if the offer was right". until then my collection is mine to keep.

I said 'rude'. I originally had my collection listed under my PP ID, but I started getting TA offers for pins in my collection. As a result of this, I had to create a new PP ID to put my 'owns' in for my own use/reference. Bottom line--if they were traders, they would be in my 'trades' list, not my 'owns' list.

I ask about pins in the collection all the time. All they have to do is say "no thank you" if they're not interested, and you may just get lucky enough to get what you want. If people get flustered over asking about their collection then they're taking pin trading WAY too seriously :)

Heck you never know. Someone could come up and offer you your Holy Grail and ask for something in your 'owns' list. I have plenty of pins in my collection that I would gladly give up for a Grail pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back