• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Shark Translator Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shark Translator Needed

markheardjr

Help me DPF u're my only hope!
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Someone please help me understand this trade request.

Step 1. Guy offers me 76484 LE250 Diorama for 51112 (Random rack pin) and says in the comments he's looking for other pins for a multi trade.
Step 2. I reply and say I am interested so let me know what else you want.
Step 3. He replies that, instead of 51112 + a few, these instead. 90173, 90121, 89966, 89637, 89538, 84393, 74737, 37232, 8084, and 56875. Say What???
Step 4. I reply with this, word for word.
You're about 5 pins too many. This Diorama can be purchased brand new in the box on eBay for $40 plus shipping. The first 3 pins on you list are currently selling for the combined amount of roughly $70. I think we are just way too far off.
-Mark
Hoping to just move on, as this guy is obviously a shark.
Step 5. He replies word for word:
That's fine. Thanks anyway. Oh, the first three pins are GWP, I am not a Guppy.
I reply with "regardless of GWP or not, a pins value is a pins value." Then we go into a philosophical debate about pin values. I told him I use ebay current Buy-it-now prices and ended auctions to value pins. He thinks only sharks use eBay?? Then goes into something about pin 76478 and he has 3 of them but someone at PTN tried to devalue it. (Not me FYI.) Then he says he only added 4 of the pins listed above as fodder and figured he could negotiate 4 of them away. He said the non-LE's were negotiable but the 6 LE's were a must. Are you kidding me? What a joke dude!

To recap, he asked for 3 of the newest LE300 PTD's (Russell, Stitch Star, & Cheshire,) an LE150 DSF C&D suprise, a LE1000 poster, a LE300 DSF POTC4 (full disclosure this was a $4 sale pin at DSF,) HTF 55th memories Donald, C&D GWP 50th, RARE Star Wars "Return of the Jedi" pin, and a random Goofy from the Mystery Pin Machine for his LE250 Rocket to the Moon Diorama that is Buy-it-now for $40 on eBay.

Ummm, ok, my question. Who is the shark here? Am I wrong to try to monetize pin values and trade accordingly? Is it wrong to value a pin set at $40 because that's the BIN price on eBay? Eventhough it originally cost $75? I pointed out that CM's get it for a huge discount and AP's can get up to 20% off. Oh, and apparently 8084 is trade fodder because it's not LE...who knew? It has 39 wants and only 4 trading but it's crap. I think this guy's idea of a fair trade is Bantha Fodder... (Star Wars joke)

pin trader and star wars reference all in one guy.....nice. You are 100% correct and that counter was BS. First the ol bait and switch which is rude in the first place and counter offer was so beyond rediculous.....do others actually take him up on that crap? I surprised you wasted your energy debating with the jerk...I would have just used a smiley like this:crazy:
Hey trade with me!

you are so in the right i have had a couple of those and its just like r u serious please dont ask me if your not serious i would of asked him if your a guppy then are you out of water cuz thats a crazy trade no thanks

It was ME. I decided to lay it on THICK because he thinks he can convince me that a 76484 is only worth a couple DSF and maybe a few OE pins. Sorry, I trade for fun not profit.

Pin values are VERY different to each person. Seeing how the Diorama is selling for $40... and the Russell has also sold for $40 (even tho is only cause its the hot thing right now). Adding an extra pin (IMO) is a fair trade. But the value of pins are Different for everyone. Funny story tho. "Im not a guppy" Comical!

I know, I try to be funny. But you can ask others I have traded with, I am fair and reasonable. I guess I just didn't realize that Ebay is how we value pins for trading. I guess if that's how it is done, then why not look at the value for the pins individually? Seems they add up to over $90 in some cases. Oh wait, that's the HIGH value, and we only use the LOW value to knock down tradability so we can get MORE for less. Right?

And is a reasonable counter two DSF and two or three OE's.

I agree as to everyone values their pins differently. Everyday I get trade requests offering me Pin 85648: DLR - 2011 Hidden Mickey Series - T-Shirt Collection - Scrooge and some one wants either Pin 30533: Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S.) - Cinderella Dancing or Pin 28918: Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S.) - Cinderella in Gilded Frame or Pin 36744: Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S.) - Cinderella Bubbles.

Today I got a request for Pin 3350: DuckTales with Scrooge McDuck offering me Pin 61924: WDW - Pin Trading University - Disney's Pin Celebration 2008 - Super Jumbo Pin - Class Photo. It's a $110.00 pin, call me crazy but I've been trying to get that Scrooge pin forever and if I hadn't just traded for it last weekend in NJ, I might have traded for it.

Everyone trades differently and that doesn't make people sharks.

It was ME. I decided to lay it on THICK because he thinks he can convince me that a 76484 is only worth a couple DSF and maybe a few OE pins. Sorry, I trade for fun not profit.

Get real dude. I suggested 5 pins, never did I specify which 5. You asked for 10!? I declined you trade as soon as I saw your rediculous request. Good luck with crazy requests like that, I'm sure you'll get a few folks to just ignore you in the future. If you think 8084 is just a ho-hum OE pin then you haven't been around long enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are just naive and not completely delusional.
You cry fowl to me about putting $$'s on pins but you yourslef throw around the price of this pin 76478 and said it sells for $400-$950? I don't even know where those comments came from? What a waste of time.

I use eBay completed *auction* style listings for pretty much ALL my pins (except, maybe, the easy-peesy ones like LE 3000 or OE pins that haven't become stupidly rare).

The reason? It's almost impossible to trade high-end pins doing anything but this- too many edition sizes, too much rarity variations...ebay determines supply and demand better than anything else- and even that's not perfect (after all, how many times have we seen a rare pin go for $80, then sell for $40 the next week?).

That said...as long as the other trader knows what's up, and we have a good "chemistry", I'm always willing to be flexible. That's where the "trading" part comes in :)

In regards to this:

I guess if that's how it is done, then why not look at the value for the pins individually? Seems they add up to over $90 in some cases. Oh wait, that's the HIGH value, and we only use the LOW value to knock down tradability so we can get MORE for less. Right?

In this case, when a pin is swinging wildly, I don't take the low or high- I tend to take the average. Especially considering the highest ones could be panic buyers, and the low ones could be flukes or mislabeled.

Is an ebay-based value system perfect? No. But it's better than people trying to tell me "This LE 100 is the same as that one" or "They're the same edition size, so they're the same". Because that never seems to work in MY favor, funny enough.

What really grinds my gears is the high-end traders who won't trade unless they PROFIT (I don't mean valuing their pin up to where it SHOULD be...I mean they want their fair-share and THEN some). They usually value their pin wayyyy more than it should be (or where it once was years ago). I'm sorry your pin didn't keep an insane value, but I'm NOT going to "pay" more for it than what I can get for it on eBay. This is why I tend to value pins on the low end of the eBay spectrum (mine and theirs). Because I *can* go and buy it for that price.

Exactly Aby, a BALANCE in TRADING. Not pick 3-4 OE's and 1 or 2 high LE's. He left out: And now the method of my crazy thinking. The diorama is in a rather large box, so I have to spend the cost of a DSF pin to ship it, and it will go Priority Mail. It is a LE of 250 and originally cost $75. It is also un-opened and sitting in a box, still in new condition. I may be one pin over, but I think this is about equal on dollars and tradability.

I use a 3 step value system for my pins. Trade or for sale...
1~ what is the pin worth to ME, is it a keeper, a collection completer or just something good for trade.
2~ average value on Evilbay. Highest and lowest past sales prices averaged.
3~ trade to wants on pinpics.

So , for me, a pixie hollow WDI is worth more than a star wars WDI based on personal opinion, but t/w and price on evilbay makes the star wars pin worth much more, and may allow me to "trade up" to gain 2 pixie hollow pins for the trade or price of 1 star wars pin.

I would NEVER value one single pin as worth 5 pins, let alone 10. My limit is 3.... 1 pin for 3. anything more seems a bit rediculous to me.

Although I did offer a very nice man at PTN last week my entire book for a signed set of the designer princesses. :eek2:

Exactly Aby, a BALANCE in TRADING. Not pick 3-4 OE's and 1 or 2 high LE's. He left out: And now the method of my crazy thinking. The diorama is in a rather large box, so I have to spend the cost of a DSF pin to ship it, and it will go Priority Mail. It is a LE of 250 and originally cost $75. It is also un-opened and sitting in a box, still in new condition. I may be one pin over, but I think this is about equal on dollars and tradability.
I'm in Hawthorne dude, I'm sure we could have just met and traded. I never consider shipping value against the other person and ask for more pins in return. I just traded with someone in France and shipping was never mentioned.
You want to trade on your terms only and unfairly at that. Good luck trading, it won't happen with me.

What I like is how you INTENTIONALLY left out my explanation in the initial reply. Was that fair? No. Was putting me down in the forum? No. Here is what I am probably trading for:

How about…

79248 C&D
88587 Tink Cali
90020 MM Cali
88463 C&D Reel
87013 Snow White
64342 Vote 4 Chip
64343 Vote 4 Dale

I am probably pushing the limit, but I saw the Snow White and I dated her once...

Since you want only the pins, I will trash the OUTER box but not the background, yes/no?

Oh yeah, I'm a such a hard trader.

What explanation? You trying to devalue my pins to make them sound equal to yours? You complaining about people at a PTN event I wasn't even at?
You let me know what you end up getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back