• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Sleeping Beauty (2014) Fall Release (New Merch, News, and more!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleeping Beauty (2014) Fall Release (New Merch, News, and more!)

auroradawn

Corona Kingdom Explorer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey guys! Here it is!!! I might be jumping the gun but I just couldn't wait to start this thread about one of my favorite films: Sleeping Beauty!

Here you can find (and post!) the latest news and pictures of merchandise, collectibles, and information concerning Sleeping Beauty's Diamond Release :)

Calendar:

May 30, 2014: 'Maleficent' live action film released in theatres!
July 29, 2014: Pre-order Diamond Edition in stores (and online)
October 7, 2014: 'Sleeping Beauty' Diamond Edition Release
Princess Aurora 17" LE Doll Pick-up/Release
73790_medium.jpg
tumblr_n92qikQmq51tp9tvoo1_250.jpg

I will attempt to keep an updated list on this front post as a reference for others.

**Please post important news about LE dolls on the appropriate doll page first so that things don't get too confusing :)

Ariel had a great year and we saw a lot of new and exciting merchandise for her, including her Sephora makeup line, 3 17" dolls, the first official Vanessa doll, and a Designer doll set...
I'm hoping for the same for my lovely Aurora! I'd most like to see some SB inspired jewelry and collectibles like snowglobes, especially some recognition for Phillip and Samson!
What are you most excited for??

Last edited:
Is this thread going to supersede your other LE thread? Because like with Frozen it got confusing as to where people would post information about the Frozen LE doll release and ended up posting it in both threads which just became meant that there was ultimately two threads with the same ongoing topic

First word on Maleficent movie promos/collectibles for the movie: Makeup!

"Disney’s self-proclaimed Mistress of All Evil — Maleficent, of “Sleeping Beauty” fame — is getting her own MAC Cosmetics line this spring to coincide with the upcoming film starring Angelina Jolie.
The first motion picture collaboration for MAC, the limited-edition collection will include 11 stockkeeping units, including face, eye, lip and nail products."

source:
http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fash...c=search_links

And be sure to check out the separate Maleficent thread for movie news and info! : http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?15061-Disney-s-Maleficent-movie-(2014)-NEW-TEASER-TRAILER

Concerning the Diamond Release:

Disney Consumer Products released the following statement:

In fall 2014, a few months after the theatrical release of Maleficent, Walt Disney Studios will open its prestigious vault for the release of Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition on Blu-ray. DCP will support the re-release of this timeless classic with a wide product assortment, which will also be supported through television promotions, short form content, marketing, PR and social media.

Last edited:
Is this thread going to supersede your other LE thread? Because like with Frozen it got confusing as to where people would post information about the Frozen LE doll release and ended up posting it in both threads which just became meant that there was ultimately two threads with the same ongoing topic

Very true. Well this thread will be for everything that is NOT Maleficent movie news (collectibles are okay) or LE dolls. :)
Will that help out?

Just edited it! Let me know if that is better. Thanks Polaris!

Last edited:
I wonder if I keep saying "Make it blue!" over and over again if my dream of a blue dress LE Aurora will come true. :x:

I am BEYONDDDD excited for anything and everything Sleeping Beauty next year! Besides Frozen, I'll be saving up in hopes I can get everything I could possibly dream of wanting, including the dolls! I've never bought any Disney dolls before, and I'm sure they'll be beautiful!! I'm definitely hoping for some nice smaller items too :) and of course a lovely couple of pins! :)

Very true. Well this thread will be for everything that is NOT Maleficent movie news (collectibles are okay) or LE dolls. :)
Will that help out?

LOL to be honest it would be hard as people will just want to talk about the dolls, probably just leave it as it is and let people figure it out as they go? LOL besides the LE thread is getting very long haha.

But yes thank you for starting this thread as it will be very exciting to see what 2014 has to bring for us in terms of Sleeping Beauty as it is definitely her year.

It will be interesting to see if they will continue the "Art of" line as I think that will be interesting and would love to see more artwork of Aurora. Makes me wonder as well though if because it is an off Expo year they may not release as much merchandise as they did this year. I mean last year with Cinderella they had a few bits and pieces but no where near as much as they did for the Little Mermaid this year.

I am hoping that we will get a LE Philip and Maleficent (one based on the cartoon and not the movie). Also I am expecting to see some more Maleficent merchandise during the movie release but it would be based more around the Maleficent movie rather than the Sleeping Beauty cartoon. It will be interesting but I do honestly think that we will see two lots of Sleeping beauty related merchandise released next year, one during the Maleficent release and another during the Sleeping Beauty diamond edition release.

I definitely see them releasing another make up line with Sephora and another Aurora themed compact mirror as they have released one for every diamond edition princess release so far? (That I am aware of). Unfortunately I would probably say that the possible designer release may just overshadow any Sleeping Beauty release unless they do it earlier than the designers. So we probably will not get as much Sleeping Beauty merchandise like we did with Ariel where the Art of Ariel line was created specifically to be launched at the D23 expo and then made available in stores and online afterwards.

I know this may be off topic but it will be interesting to see what Disney decides to do in terms of the 2014 designer line because whilst the DFDC part 2 line is the most likely I still think everything is still in the planning stage so anything is still possible.

I definitely think we will see some pins, probably a Sleeping Beauty pin set and a jumbo pin? I am liking the jumbo pins and wished that Disney released them more often using the same theme i.e a clam shell box like they did with Snow White's 75th and the Art of Ariel pin. It would be cool if they did this for Aurora too.

For me the big thing that will be speculated next year in relation to Aurora will be how will she appear as an LE doll? Will she be in pink? blue? or a material that will provide an iridescent effect? I think if anything they will go with the pink if they had to choose one, just based on the Cinderella release, I mean Cinderella just looks like Barbie in a Cinderella outfit and they based it on her more modern look rather than the classic Cinderella. I think with next year the pink or blue dress will be the new "Ariel as a mermaid or in a dress" discussion. Oh also I would be interested to see if Disney reduces the edition size to 5,000 for Aurora again or if they will retain the new 6,000 edition size.

So it will be very interesting to see how this all progresses. I am with you auroradawn, very excited for the next year, the year of Sleeping Beauty!

But for now I need a break because these doll releases have just gotten crazier and crazier and unfortunately has made me very anxious and nervous too so it would be good to just relax for a bit and finally just appreciate the dolls that were released this year. It is funny but due to the constant releases during doll season we havent really had a chance to appreciate our dolls that we bought so far haha.

Last edited:
if they do make a philip doll, and i REALLY hope they do, i hope they give him the same detail as they would aurora/maleficent.
ie: actual hair, joints, more details on the face, more details for clothing/props.

Much too excited for this!! Aurora is my favorite princess and Maleficent is one of my top villains so I just cannot wait!

I am sincerely hoping for a LE Phillip, and I think with the general success of Eric we will get one. I'm hoping for the same setup as TLM in terms of dolls.

I hope they give Aurora a new better more accurate headmold. I've also always thought she looked better in her peasant dress, but pretty sure that is not happening. Also prefer her in blue.

I wonder if I keep saying "Make it blue!" over and over again if my dream of a blue dress LE Aurora will come true. :x:
I've also always thought she looked better in her peasant dress, but pretty sure that is not happening. Also prefer her in blue.
I am sincerely hoping for a LE Phillip, and I think with the general success of Eric we will get one. I'm hoping for the same setup as TLM in terms of dolls.
Hehe in my perfect world we'd get the Briar Rose dress and Phillip in a cape for the DFDC II, and then their fancier getups + an Aurora in that regal blue. I think Phillip is long overdue for some upgrades and a facelift! And the success of Eric gives me hope :)

LOL to be honest it would be hard as people will just want to talk about the dolls, probably just leave it as it is and let people figure it out as they go? LOL besides the LE thread is getting very long haha.

It will be interesting to see if they will continue the "Art of" line as I think that will be interesting and would love to see more artwork of Aurora...

I definitely see them releasing another make up line with Sephora and another Aurora themed compact mirror as they have released one for every diamond edition princess release so far? (That I am aware of)....

I mean Cinderella just looks like Barbie in a Cinderella outfit and they based it on her more modern look rather than the classic Cinderella. I think with next year the pink or blue dress will be the new "Ariel as a mermaid or in a dress" discussion. Oh also I would be interested to see if Disney reduces the edition size to 5,000 for Aurora again or if they will retain the new 6,000 edition size.

Haha it is a long thread :p I just don't want to confuse people.

I would LOVE an Art of book for Sleeping Beauty! The only one I know of is like the artist sketchbook series and it sells for a pretty penny secondhand.

I was told when I picked up the Ariel goodies that she was the last one they were going to do. Sephora apparently stopped their princess collaborations with Disney after the Ariel collection. :( Such a shame. An Aurora compact would have been beautiful.

LOL at your Cindy comment!! It's sad that it's true. And I hope that they keep the edition sizes at 6,000 from here on out. I think the Frozen release has shown that a LOT of people are interested in this collection. They sold out so quickly! I'm still marveling that Disney pushed those edition sizes when Merida was a 7000. I mean, LE's are great, but I don't want to claw and cry over them.

I hope they give Aurora a new better more accurate headmold. I've also always thought she looked better in her peasant dress, but pretty sure that is not happening. Also prefer her in blue.

I love the peasant dress, but I'm 90% sure that the Designer Fairytale Couple Aurora will have her in the peasant dress, given that's her most iconic scene with Phillip (aside from the kiss) and what she wears the most during the Film. I really would prefer the LE doll to be in blue, but I'm more than certain they'll go with pink unless it just ends up looking terrible.

I'm excited for all the potential Maleficent merch, especially the LE doll! I can only hope they don't screw her up, they up the edition size substantially, and I can actually get her in the end. Also, I really really really hope LE Aurora is in her blue or peasant dress; I LOVE those dresses so much and would take them over pink any day.

Sephora apparently stopped their princess collaborations with Disney after the Ariel collection. :( Such a shame. An Aurora compact would have been beautiful.

I'm kinda wondering about that; I went about a month ago to a Sephora store and when I expressed disappointment over Ariel being the last princess they were doing, the lady mentioned they were going to do another. I kinda grilled her about it, asking where she got the info and she mentioned hearing it at a staff meeting recently. However, get this: she couldn't remember if it was a princess or something else, only that it was Disney. Perhaps Maleficent's a possibility? Please take this with a heavy grain of salt though, because I could hardly believe it myself. And yet she sounded so sure...

Really this is a case of 'only time will tell', so don't get your hopes up TOO high. If anyone can ask their Sephora stores as well and get the same answer, then I'll put more stock into it. Also, this was not one of the JCPenny Sephoras; it was it's own store.

Last edited:
I follow beauty blogs that have covered the sephora/disney collections and Ariel was definitely advertised as the last one. I think Disney has started putting out their own make up line, which may they stopped.

But things may change, and I think that a Maleficent themed makeup line is definitely a possibility.

I only care for briar rose merch... But if they make her in the blue dress I might buy them for my sister since sleeping beauty is her absolute favorite!!!!

Wow didnt realise that Ariel was the last Sephora, then again I dont really follow that sort of merchandise as I dont actually buy any of it (also no one really knows what Sephora is here in Australia as it is not a known brand here). But yeah that is a shame as the compacts were pretty cool.

If they do DFDC Part II then I really think Aurora will be in her Briar Rose outfit because the fairytale moment for Sleeping Beauty was when Philip and Aurora met in the woods so I definitely think she will be in the Briar Rose outfit for that which is what I am hoping for as I would love to see a nicer Aurora designer doll as the current one is ok but not a big fan of the beehive.

I am so happy you made this thread! Sleeping Beauty is my all time favorite Princess movie. And Maleficent is my favorite villain. I am so excited for the Diamond Edition of Sleeping Beauty. More so than I was for TLM. It's one of Disney's most beautiful animated movies. And it brings back many memories for me. I'm gonna have to start saving up now for all the merchandise (LE and non-LE) that will be released for both Maleficent and Sleeping Beauty. Because I know I will want it all haha.

I wonder if they will release a LE Aurora in pink and another in blue. And the blue will be a smaller LE size kind of similar with how they did with Anna & Elsa at Harrods. Or maybe even her dress will be a mix of both colors kind of like the recent designer statue Disney made. That could actually be extremely beautiful. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Just my input haha. All I know is her LE will be BEAUTIFUL, because it's Aurora haha.

awesome news! thanks for sharing!
For those unfamiliar with Hot Toys, they specialize in extremely detailed and lifelike collectible sculptures. So I think their Maleficent could look spectacular! But it will definitely be an AJ look-alike.

I've been waiting for the release of the 17" LE Aurora since the release of the 17" LE Snow White ... and finally it's getting very close and I'm super excited & nervous... I know that a lot of people would love to see her in the blue dress, but I personally like her more in the pink dress.. BUT it would be awesome if they made her dress from two-tone colors fabric or from different colors layers

uo4na7-l-610x610-dress-clothes-prom-wedding-pink-blue-purple-strapless-dress-ball-gown.jpg

Lining-Fabric.jpg

TwoTone_Voile_CS_1.JPG

I also found this image of a two-tone dress, it just shows that DS CAN try and make Aurora's dress from both colors, that would truly be magical!!

cloudprincessfrnot.jpg

Ooh. I would prefer blue but would be happy for a compromise between blue and pink! I like both the two tone material, and the idea of a sheer layer over another layer. Very nice!

One day, I hope they will make a totally gothic 'serious face' Aurora with no smile, and really dark blue velvets, that would be my favourite! (And the box background could be all dark and scary with the spinning wheel!)

But, I doubt the LE doll will be that doll...

I guess the LE will be a lighter romantic 'dancing in the clouds' doll and that's good too :) Ooh I hope the box art has clouds.

Last edited:
I am beyond excited for Sleeping Beauty!! She has always been at the top of the list of favorite princesses. I hope that this time they release merch for the release because the last release was very disappointing merch wise.

It will be interesting to see if they will continue the "Art of" line as I think that will be interesting and would love to see more artwork of Aurora. Makes me wonder as well though if because it is an off Expo year they may not release as much merchandise as they did this year. I mean last year with Cinderella they had a few bits and pieces but no where near as much as they did for the Little Mermaid this year.

I am hoping that we will get a LE Philip and Maleficent (one based on the cartoon and not the movie).

So it will be very interesting to see how this all progresses. I am with you auroradawn, very excited for the next year, the year of Sleeping Beauty!

Hehe in my perfect world we'd get the Briar Rose dress and Phillip in a cape for the DFDC II, and then their fancier getups + an Aurora in that regal blue. I think Phillip is long overdue for some upgrades and a facelift! And the success of Eric gives me hope :)

I would LOVE an Art of book for Sleeping Beauty! The only one I know of is like the artist sketchbook series and it sells for a pretty penny secondhand.

I was told when I picked up the Ariel goodies that she was the last one they were going to do. Sephora apparently stopped their princess collaborations with Disney after the Ariel collection. :( Such a shame. An Aurora compact would have been beautiful.

LOL at your Cindy comment!! It's sad that it's true. And I hope that they keep the edition sizes at 6,000 from here on out. I think the Frozen release has shown that a LOT of people are interested in this collection. They sold out so quickly! I'm still marveling that Disney pushed those edition sizes when Merida was a 7000. I mean, LE's are great, but I don't want to claw and cry over them.

I have some good news! There are plans for a sort-of Art book for Sleeping Beauty in the works! It is called (appropriately):Once Upon A Dream: From Perrault's Sleeping Beauty to Disney's Maleficent by Charles Solomon (MSRP: $40, but should be cheaper through online book websites) that should be along the same vein as the book he wrote for Beauty and the Beast a couple of years ago, which traces the development of our beloved medieval tale from its origins as it pertains to Disney through the more modern developments (for Beauty and the Beast it went from the early French retellings through to the Broadway musical, so for Sleeping Beauty it seems to be doing a similar thing). So I don't think we will be seeing a specific "Art of" book for Sleeping Beauty other than this one, as Charles Solomon is one of the dedicated "Art of" authors. Hopefully this book does not disappoint, with all of that awesome hidden archival material stashed away in the Disney archives! Needless to say, I already pre-ordered this one! http://www.amazon.com/dp/1423199022/?tag=thebroketogra-20

I am also looking forward to new and better merchandise for Prince Philip! He's my favorite Disney prince, and the DS dolls just don't look like him. They did nothing for Cinderella's Prince Charming last year, so that makes me a bit nervous, as his doll needs a face lift/makeover (the Mattel dolls are way better for him). I am positive that Maleficent will be seeing a bonanza of awesome merchandise. Disney clearly recognizes her as a fan favorite among villains. :)

I had also heard that the Ariel collection was the third and final for the Sephora collection, but who knows? I heard that M.A.C. will be doing something for Maleficent, so maybe they will also be running a line for Aurora, too?

As for the LE dolls, I also hope that the LE sizes get ramped up, with LE Aurora being a LE 6000 (like LE Ariel), with LE Maleficent bumped up to LE 3000-4000, and the (hopeful) LE Prince Philip ramped up to LE 2000-2500. This year was the first time that all of the LE dolls released sold out in less than 2 days, and that was with the LE Ariel pre-order of LE 6000 with the rest selling out in less than an hour... That totally tells me that not enough are being made! The Disney Store always seems to be reactive, so maybe this year will light a fire under their buns to increase the LE sizes again next year. Once the dolls hit the production line, there is pretty much no turning back, so right now is a crucial time for next year's dolls.

As for the pink/blue debate, I am an advocate for Aurora in pink for a few reasons: it matches her name, it is a generally happier color to look at, Aurora is most often identified with this color through her merchandise, and the LE doll collection is very lacking in this color (we've got a lot of blue going on between LE Cinderella, LE Alice, LE Merida with Elinor, and LE Elsa). As for the shade of pink, I think it should be like in the film: all shades, with different darker or lighter pinks for different parts of her gown. If they can pull off a good pink & blue gown, I would also not complain. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back