• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

So now what? (DPP vs PP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to hear about what happened. This is really upsetting, but I fully support what you plan to do with a new site and will try to help in any way that I can. I look forward to seeing news about this project. Please keep us updated.

Not sure what I can do, but I'm game to help however I can. I'm a copyeditor by trade, so I'm certainly up for editing, cleaning up entries, helping to maintain a consistent style for descriptions, etc.

I love the idea of grouping stuff in films/attractions/etc. Currently on PinPics, if you just search for "Scar", you get a tonne of pins that have the word "scary" in them. So then I type "Lion King Scar". In doing that though, I lose the pins where the person listing hasn't bothered to mention which film Scar is from. The same happens when I search for "Zero" pins. I have to type in "Nightmare Before Christmas Zero" to find the smaller list, but I end up losing some pins.

Another major annoyance for me on PinPics is APs/PPs/etc having their own listings. Personally, I don't think they should have their own listings. I think the descriptions for APs/PPs should just be mentioned in the listing for the regular pin, saying what differences there are in the APs/PPs, if any. If it's an AP/PP that never got released, I'm fine with it having it's own listing. I just don't see the point in having APs listed of some LE 1000 pin.

Lastly, and my biggest problem with PinPics is the fact that some pins still don't even have a picture, or they're still using artwork. I'm talking about pins from YEARS ago. This tends to happen because people list stuff before a pin's release. I think it would be best for people to only list a pin when they actually have it in hand. That way, they can provide a picture of both front and back of the pin, as well as all of the relevant information. Yes, this would mean that pre-trades couldn't be arranged, but I do think that that would be for the best if it meant that every new pin listing was going to be uniform, meeting the same quality requirements.

I think it's horrible what happened with DPP, especially on a personal level in regards to the guy in charge of it. It sounds like he was treated very shabbily. I'm not gonna lie though, I have always preferred PinPics. :) With all the suggestions that have been made though, I really think you could make something better if you really put your mind to it.

My husband and I are both web designers and web developers. We'd be interested in hearing more information and possibly helping out. Please contact me if you're interested. My husband is also an illustrator and we both have experience with hosting and servers. Let me know if you need help or would like to see some of our work! :)

Great ideas. I can't do much but when you work out the details on starting this up, I can offer to take photos of the pins I have. Clear photos. I'll help where I can.

This is a great idea. I love the idea of having a much clearer, easier to use search function. I just spent over five minutes (before giving up), entering a search on PinPics for Angel from Lilo and Stitch and getting pretty much everything other than what I was looking for. I did have a lot better luck with PinPlace and I'm sad to see it go. I'd be happy to help out with pictures.

I'm happy to help in any way I can. There is no point in expressing my thoughts on PP, but an alternate site is definitely something I believe is needed and should be supported. You need something, just holler.

If there is someone who is great with the photos and willing to spend lots of time in the beginning, it may be best to send them ALL of the pics to be consistently sized, etc. I am more than willing to take pics of my 1000+ pins, but would suck at making them ideal for the new site. If not 1 person, maybe a team to take care of the additions to the site as well as the photos.

Love the fact that people want pin groups (yeah...I still love my PTDs) and I, too, get tired of seeing what looks like the same pin listed 5 times due to PP or AP etc. I would PERMANTLY opt out of seeing those as well as buttons. Everyone has wonderful ideas and I'm more than willing to help however I can.

I am technologically challenged and am guilty of still using the old pinpics site to manage my collection/trades/wants. I've had zero luck on the new site. Heck! My signature is made in Paint!

Awesome idea, and you have my support.

How about a pin comparison so you can compare your wants to another person's trade list. I can also help with taking pictures of the pins I own and sending them to you when needed:)

Having both a large collection of older pins, and being a photographer I may be able to help out in that area when needed.

As for the alternates, I do think that the Production Proofs (Gold/Silver/Black), Artist proof, Production Proof (PP) do merit being listed. The one of a kind production Proofs are all unique pins and are often different than the production pins. They can and should have separate listings. AP/PP should merit a separate illustration on the same page and perhaps a separate trade listing as there are people who do value and collect those.

For example Pin #11111 / Pin #11111 AP / Pin #11111 PP (all on same listing)

Last edited:
Having both a large collection of older pins, and being a photographer I may be able to help out in that area when needed.

As for the alternates, I do think that the Production Proofs (Gold/Silver/Black), Artist proof, Production Proof (PP) do merit being listed. The one of a kind production Proofs are all unique pins and are often different than the production pins. They can and should have separate listings. AP/PP should merit a separate illustration on the same page and perhaps a separate trade listing as there are people who do value and collect those.

For example Pin #11111 / Pin #11111 AP / Pin #11111 PP (all on same listing)

And if there are multiple AP with different metal colors (like all of the DA and DS.com pins), then list them as Pin #11111 APB or APG or APS (AP black, gold, or silver)??

And if there are multiple AP with different metal colors (like all of the DA and DS.com pins), then list them as Pin #11111 APB or APG or APS (AP black, gold, or silver)??

I had considered that option. However those pins are unique / one of a kind that were originally only available in blind grab bags direct from Disney or at Disney events. They have different value and trading dynamics than the normal AP/PP style pins. I am of the opinion they merit a separate listing. However you may be right about all three being listed on one page instead of 3 separate ones.

Oh, okay! :) I had thought it was one database you guys were planning together and just realized for the first time today that the sites have different names. :-o

Best of luck with yours!

Seems I had the same understanding and required the same clarification. Thank you. :)

I'm excited for this project! I also love the new database being worked on as well. Honestly I just love hubs where we collectors can document our collections and browse pins! haha I'm happy to donate pictures to this site as well. I love the idea of pins being added getting approved to prevent duplicates and help guard against incorrect pin information being added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back