• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Trading with a "Pre-Sale/Ordered" pin - Yay or Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading with a "Pre-Sale/Ordered" pin - Yay or Nay

broncobilly83

Scrooge McDuck's #1 Nickel
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
297   0   0
I was wondering y'alls take on this situation. The last 2 days, I have received trade requests for my Piece of Movie History Snow White pin in exchange for the upcoming Piece of Movie History Alice in Wonderland, that is due to be released on 4/21.

Now, my rule of thumb is I do not actively trade a pin unless I have it in my hands. When I purchase pins as traders, either from here, DS.com, etc, I might list it in my traders to see if anyone makes me an offer, but I will not offer it until I actually receive it to make sure it is correct and in the proper condition.

I understand PinPics posting pins that are upcoming as way of record keeping and staying ahead of the curve when multiple pins get released in rapid succession, but is it right for people to try and trade pins that are yet to be released?

Pre-purchasing a pin is fine, like when CaliGurl gets all those POMH pins for us, etc, personally, I find it weird that someone will attempt to secure a trade with a pin they do not have, do not have en route, or even know if they are going to get.

I have arranged for future trades with the condition of "when the pin is obtained". Usually I have been the party already in possession of a desired pin. And standardly the agreement will only be with someone I have traded with before and trust.

Hi Bill,

I would pick the trader that seems the most dependable either by the references he or she has, or pick a person I have traded or dealt with before. I then tell them I will hold their pin until they are ready to mail mine. The trade is now locked in, and the person who is going to buy the pin will know to get this pin for you. I think that is the main reason they put in a trade before a pin is released. They just want to make sure they get a pin they want with their new trader pin. Does this make sense? Personally, I think it is harmless, as long as you wait to send your pin, and that both parties keep their trade agreement.

Me and Mischiefmanaged to trades for coming soon pins. He gets me the DSF pins and I get him LE UK pins. However, we do not ship until we both have the pins that we said we could trade - which works fantastic for both of us.

I traded recently with swim2sea. She wanted the UK Cheshire Cat pin and I wanted one of her pins. I knew that I would be there on release day to get the pin at 9am, so I was never in any doubt. Margaret also put her trust in to me that I would get the pin for her, and it should now be en route to her and be with her in a couple of a days now.

I think the whole situation with pre trade and sale is that you must/should trust the person to honour their promise. I have done this with Margaret and Erik, because they are trustworthy and reputable traders with established reputations.
Martin :)

I agree with Martin. I had no doubt that I would get my pin and I was very comfortable with the trade. I have traded several times for pins that the person didn't have yet - CaliGirl included and I have faith that they will come through for me. If you want, just say I'm glad to trade but let me know when you have the pin and what scene is on it. Then you can make a final decision. Let them know you can wait a week, 2 weeks, however long and then the deal is off. It never hurts to try and I would hold my pin until you had theirs in hand. I've done that with new traders and it worked fine. There are way more GOOD traders out there than BAD ones. It's just when one goes bad we tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to do "pre-trades" a bit with DSF pins, before I started just doing free DSF runs. It beats buying a bunch of non-returnable pins not knowing if you'll wind up able to trade them / if you bought enough of the right pin.

-JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back