• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GUIDE What is a Grail Pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha Everyone!

So most of us have some sort of an idea of what a grail is, but this post is here to dispute the definitions, requirements if any, the level of difficulty, etc. Also, we're here to teach the newbies pin terminology and how to use it properly. In addition, I hope we can get a better understanding of pins as a whole from this so that we don't run into problems on our site with just throwing words around because I myself sometimes think I misuse the word. lol

Questions for discussion: (choose one or all or just simply give your understanding)
  1. What is a grail in your opinion?
  2. why do we have grails?
  3. How do we apply the term to pins?
  4. Is this term being misused?
  5. Are there requirements for a pin to be a trader's grail?
  6. Do we even need to have a term like this?
  7. What is the difference between grails and most wanted pins?
Feel free to add anything you like to the discussion I only ask that there be no personal attacks or fights.

Have fun discussing,

-Jonathan
:wavey:

A pin that makes your ARGGH why you so hard? why you so prettyyyyyyyyy

xD

umm a grail to me is a pin you really want that you cant get. doesnt matter edition size, origin ect. (to me)

To me a grail is a pin you basically feel is your goal I guess. If you have a collection and there is that ONE pin... Or in some people's case... Few pins that you feel your collection can't be without that it's not complete til you own that pin. That's a grail. My Pocahontas collection had 2 grails and when I got them.... Oh man it was a whole nother level of joy then the other Pocahontas pins I get which still bring me joy too. But yea. Grails are the pins you drool over and if you see one within reach you basically throw all you got to get it. That to me is a grail over a most wanted. Most wanted are pins you want... They aren't run of the mill pins but they aren't ones you'd basically do anything for. They're the ones that you want and you'll go after them but you won't over trade, you still have that level head... At least that's how I see it. That's how I classify them. Haha. But maybe I'm just weird.

1. What is a grail in your opinion? I feel a grail is the pin/pins that are your very top pins on your wants list; while you may have a lengthy "most wanted" list, the grails are the handful that top that list and you would do whatever you can to obtain. The pins that make you :drool: the most! :lol:
  2. why do we have grails? To give us a specific goal in our hobby/collection. Something to hope and wish for and work to find and obtain!
  3. How do we apply the term to pins? Applied to the pins we want the absolute most of all our wants.
  4. Is this term being misused? I don't feel it is being misused at all; we all have different ideas of what our personal grails are; there is no right or wrong grail pin! :)
  5. Are there requirements for a pin to be a trader's grail? I don't feel that there should be, it is about personal preference.
  6. Do we even need to have a term like this? I think it is a handy term so other trader's know what we want the most.
  7. What is the difference between grails and most wanted pins? I think that "grail" pins are just the top "most wanted" pins on your list.

Wonderful topic, keep them coming! :D

Grails < Holy Grails < Holiest of Holy Grails

Grails are pins that are easily accessible but often are just expensive. Holy Grails are pins that don't come out of hiding often and have even higher values. Holy Grails are pins that you never see, ever in person. They are usually older and super low LE or from some crazy obscure place where no one does pin collecting and maybe 1 or none are in the pin trading community.

I think a lot of newer people kind of call every higher value pin they want a grail. It's not really, it's just a pin that the market has said costs $XX or $XXX to buy. If your pin is on eBay for less than $100 pretty much anytime you go look I'm not sure it's really grail-worthy. If you have to set up a watch feature and you see one maybe a few times a year, that is a grail. A Holy grail is probably on eBay once every 1 or 2 years. It doesn't have to be super valuable. Maybe it ends up selling for $5, but if you have only seen 1 in like 3 years of searching, that's a Holy Grail.

Luckily for me and with a lot of help from one fellow trader at the villains event in Florida this year I finally found my Grail pin. It has taken me 6 years to find and I had never actually seen it before only a picture. The point is a grail is a pin that you aspire to own for its beauty and rarity that you never actually expect to own. Value is not something that I consider a driving factor as the pin is for me and I will never sell it. Look at the Gomes sprite pin for example it's a thing of beauty.

The majority of the pins that made my siggy became grails because for the most part there is no-one trading them on Pinpics. It doesn't account for edition size, price, etc but only the fact nooooo-one is trading them. They aren't neccessarily any more wanted than other pins on my traders, just tougher/slightly impossible to obtain.
I don't really mind how other people use the term "grail" or "holy grail" but to me the term indicates something that is hard to find: that you have to go on a quest to find :)

I believes grail pin is a most wanted, really top of ur list pin, one you know will take some effort, and possibly expense to own, a holy grail pin is a pin you wish one day to own but never feel you will....an elusive pin that you would swap anything to own :)

There is a difference between "a grail pin", and "my grail". A grail pin is a pin (in my opinion) worth from $300 and above. When someone says "my grail" they are just referring to a pin they want really badly.

Hope this makes sense.

To me a grail pin is a pin you really want, but never really think you will get. Kinda like this one Amy just got:
pin58349

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back