• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What Traders I Should Stay Away From at DLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Traders I Should Stay Away From at DLR

KrystalRage

STAR TOURS,ARIEL,AURORA,TRON!!
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Can anyone share a list of pin traders I should stay away from? I know that there are some regulars at DLR that aren't very honest and I want to avoid problems, so if anyone can help me out I would very much appreciate it

I'm a regular DLR trader, and best advice I can give. If it doesn't feel right, walk away. No one says you have to trade. I try to be fair when trading. It's not fun to hear when someone has been badly taken advantage of.

Last edited:
As all people react differently to others, I would not say to "avoid" anyone. But there are a few general rules.

1) NEVER, EVER accept a trade where you are told to go purchase a specific pin off the racks for a trade. Not only is it supposed to be against the rules, unless you are trading for a similiar Limited Edition / price pin, you are about to be taken.

2) Hidden Mickey pins should generally only be traded in return for other hidden mickey pins or at best starter lanyard style pins. If you're buying a $6.95 pin for a Hidden Mickey, you've been taken.

3) Remember many of those at the parks have regular, daily access to both parks, Disney Store, Disney Hotels, WDI, Mickey's of Glendale, local tourist shops for Jerry Leigh pins, The Disney Soda Fountain, AND the pin events in the area. Simply put they're locals and have taken full advantage of this status. (In the interest of full, fair disclosure, I'll confess. I'm openly envious of that opportunity.) Realize going into the review, they most likely already HAVE the LE pins, rare pins, and pins they want and some collect. To be blunt, they're JADED. Most will not be intersted in trading for your pins, even your most precious LE treasure except at heavily unbalanced terms; that is unless you have that rare unusual something exceptional they have somehow they managed to miss. Even then, you getting a fair return on something that extraordinary would be a long shot. Many times it seems those traders brought out their high level pins to show off, not to trade.

Do not let them spoil your pin trading experience. By all means, admire their pins. Use them to discover new pins that you'll want. See if you are able to make an equitable / fair trade, but if not they will not be offended if you say 'no, thank you."

4) Look for those pin traders at the park who are willing to play by cast member rules. They can be found and you'll find them happy small trades just as much as large ones. That's not to say they'll be accepting scrappers and hidden Mickey's for LE pins. But you will find someone who will accept your starter pins in return for something that catches your fancy in their book.

In pin trading at unusual places, one other hint I can give was the DL monorail terminal. They used to have a pin store just before you go up the stairs. And I recall some excellent traders there, including some higher edition LE pins at an equal trade. - mind you that was a few years back.

1) NEVER, EVER accept a trade where you are told to go purchase a specific pin off the racks for a trade. Not only is it supposed to be against the rules, unless you are trading for a similiar Limited Edition / price pin, you are about to be taken.

Meh...I've done this once or twice at WDW. Basically, I have a whole slew of older open edition traders and LE pins that I can only seem to trade away for new releases. So instead of buying the new releases, I trade these older pins for them. The pins in this case are all purchased from Disney directly (I rarely have previously traded Traders in my books).

To the best of my knowledge, it's NOT against the rules.

However, common sense is a must. Don't do it for Hidden Mickeys, and get a feel for whether you think the trader is on the up-and-up. I'd say I've seen a 50/50 split of honest traders just trying to get new pins without spending more money, and sleazy traders trying to dump crap.

1) NEVER, EVER accept a trade where you are told to go purchase a specific pin off the racks for a trade. Not only is it supposed to be against the rules...

I guess I'm in trouble then. Last week was my first week trading with other guests at the parks. I had some of the new mystery character hats, and a man wanted some of mine, but didn't have anything to trade. He offered to go buy me a pin of my choice to trade for two of the hats. I wanted one of the Haunted Mansion stretching portrait rack pins... he was surprised I didn't try to squeeze him for something more valuable, but that's what I wanted, lol.

Then I was talking to a couple girls who said they were about to purchase the "villains mini-pin" set. I had all 7 and asked if they would buy a couple pins I was looking for and trade for them... I got two LE pins I wanted, and they saved $10, I figured it was a win-win.

Then another woman wanted one of my vinylmation chasers, but didn't have anything to trade. She bought me another Haunted Mansion rack pin. I asked her son while she was in the store if this was something that's acceptable to do, considering she wanted my pin, but didn't have anything to trade. He said "absolutely, as long as you aren't trying to take advantage of anyone."

I just figured it's pin trading... you have to buy the pins to trade anyway, so why should anyone be put off by buying a specific pin someone's looking for, so they'll give you a pin you're looking for.

As all people react differently to others, I would not say to "avoid" anyone. But there are a few general rules.

2) Hidden Mickey pins should generally only be traded in return for other hidden mickey pins or at best starter lanyard style pins. If you're buying a $6.95 pin for a Hidden Mickey, you've been taken.

1) It is snot against the rules to state a specific pin, and I do not think this was what was being meant. If you are out to scalp someone per say, then you will know and see the ones who are trading a pin of little value and little want, and ask for a LE or newer pin in the store. This is not against the rules, but truly is bad practice.

If someone comes up to you, which happens a lot to me, and they tell you they must have one of your pins, and they have nothing and is there any certain pin they could get you in exchange, then by all means let them know which one you feel would be fair. Fair is the key word here.

2) Every pin is different and worth different to each person. One Hidden Mickey may have a higher trading ratio, so do not lump them all in as Hidden Mickey for Hidden Mickey. If this was the case, then everyone would be willing to trade the Genie WDW T-shirt for any other hidden mickey which will not happen right now. In fact most of the Genie T-Shirts I ave seen at D-Land have been scrappers. (Easy to tell when they have a differnt year printed on the back)

Hidden Mickey's get a bad rap, because people think that if a cast member is "Giving" them out, then they are worth less. They are not, because I am still having to give a pin in exchange for that pin. It may be another Hidden Mickey, but it may be a rack pin I bought a few years ago. Either way, somewhere down the line you had to pay for the pins to start trading them. :)

I will be at the park this Friday through Sunday. Not too much trading, basic stuff, but would be glad to meet up and introduce you to the awesome folks down there that I have met. They will all be down there to meet with me. :)

Pm me if you want to meet up and I'll send you my cell number. :)

Vicki

From my observation and it probably won't be a favorable one with many here... Avoid the guy with the old LE's that all have the LE # written on little white tags. You're just wasting your time. He never trades, he's only there for show and to "school" you on your lack of knowledge of Disneyland. If the guy has a 4 inch long goatee, avoid him. If they have every 2012 HM pin for you to see avoid them. They will want LE's or HTF OE's for them. Also they are a shark and either ran through the park early or go non-stop to get all those 2012 HM's. If they have mostly vinylmations I avoid them, they never want your vinyl's but they always want you LE's.

I also find it easier to show my pins first, see if they are interested in anything. If they aren't I won't waste my time. You can't fault a trader for not trading if you don't have anything they want. If the trader automatically chooses your rarest of rare only then walk away unless they have a holy grail type pin for trade. You have to keep those desirables because eventually you will find someone that wants it bad enough to give you one you want.

Sounds good to me, but I am not sure I would advise to stay away from certain people, by describing them here. I only say that because I know who he is talking about (and Agree) but there are a few others with similar looks that I deal with that are not like that. Would hate for you to lose out on a great experience. :)

But what he said about having them look in your book first is not a bad idea. This way you can both be aware if there is a way to trade for something. :)

Vicki

From my observation and it probably won't be a favorable one with many here... Avoid the guy with the old LE's that all have the LE # written on little white tags. You're just wasting your time. He never trades, he's only there for show and to "school" you on your lack of knowledge of Disneyland. If the guy has a 4 inch long goatee, avoid him. If they have every 2012 HM pin for you to see avoid them. They will want LE's or HTF OE's for them. Also they are a shark and either ran through the park early or go non-stop to get all those 2012 HM's. If they have mostly vinylmations I avoid them, they never want your vinyl's but they always want you LE's.

I also find it easier to show my pins first, see if they are interested in anything. If they aren't I won't waste my time. You can't fault a trader for not trading if you don't have anything they want. If the trader automatically chooses your rarest of rare only then walk away unless they have a holy grail type pin for trade. You have to keep those desirables because eventually you will find someone that wants it bad enough to give you one you want.

I have a friend who has a goatee but he is not down there very often as he lives up North here, near me. The thing is though, that he is an awesome trader, and may be labeled, because he has a goatee when he comes down to D-Land.

My friend has a ton of WDI, LE's and actually barely any HM's.

Just talk to the people and you will get a feel for them. :)

VIcki

I do that anyway Vicki. :] If Im nice, hopefully they'll be nice too. So for the record, and a mental note, There are two goatee guys at DLR. Maybe more :p

Yeah, that same Goatee Dude (Dresses like a Cholo) is only out to make money. I dont trade with him. Even at the Up release he was Screaming at people saying he would have to hurt anyone who tries to cut an Unofficial line. Sure thats the same guy since hes always at the park.

Yeah, that same Goatee Dude (Dresses like a Cholo) is only out to make money. I dont trade with him. Even at the Up release he was Screaming at people saying he would have to hurt anyone who tries to cut an Unofficial line. Sure thats the same guy since hes always at the park.

Yeah don't trade with this guy he will definitely rip you off

Cool!!!!!! PLEASE let me know when you'll be out ther. I'll make sure to come by!!! :)

Vicki

Hi Vicki! I'll be at DLR this Sunday! Look forward to seeing you two again! I'm the GUY always wearing a Haunted Mansion shirt &/or sweatshirt & cap.

Yeah my friend isn't a regular. He only gets down there a couple times a year. he doesn't dress like a cholo either. Lololol

:)

Vicki

I do that anyway Vicki. :] If Im nice, hopefully they'll be nice too. So for the record, and a mental note, There are two goatee guys at DLR. Maybe more :p

i think i know the goatee guy youre talking about, i was gonna punch him in the face for callin out my gf on a pin she didnt want to trade when we first started. if it wasnt disneyland i would have. i know to stay away from him.
but thank you guys for the awesome advice and i sent some pms to a few of you for some info and such.

i cant wait to meet some more traders now that my gf and i know a little more about trading

I don't know why anyone is bringing up race. That has nothing to do with anything.

Anyway, if you want to tell if a trader is fair or not then try to do a kind of a test trade question. Wear a really awesome hard to find pin on your lanyard along with a bunch of regular pins. Ask the pin trader to trade for an obvious fake in their book (but don't tell them that). Then show them your lanyard and see which pin they pick to trade for their scrapper. If they choose your treasured pin then say no thank you and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back