• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note- scrappers are not what one would think of as "seconds". They are trash- their quality had been deemed by Disney to be unacceptable, and they've literally been thrown away. Disney doesn't sell them at all, especially not in their outlets.

The only reason they see the light of day is because dishonest workers in the factories pick them up and sell them for a 100% profit- AGAINST Disney's wishes. Basically? They're stealing and selling to uninformed consumers.

Why I don't put up with it? Basically, it offends me as:
A consumer (they're trying to pull a fast one on me)
An artist (none of this money goes to the copyright holder)
A collector (I'm not getting the intended quality for the product I want)

In addition, when one purchases directly from China in bulk, you're not just buying scrappers...sometimes you ARE purchasing straight-up bootlegs. There are a lot of pin factories over there. They get their hands on molds, then run off massive and cheaply made runs.

And the problem isn't as simple as "people collect what they want"- it's that the vast majority don't know what's going on...they think they're getting legit pins for cheap (but, really, common sense should come in to play there). But even worse...they're putting these pins on cast lanyards, and then they get passed on to other unsuspecting traders at the parks.

It's an ongoing problem that doesn't have an easy solution, except to avoid buying in bulk from China, or any seller that may seem as if they bought lots in China themselves, and is passing them off over here.

And no, Disney won't do anything about it- not sure why (probably too hard to battle for the amount of money involved). And no, I don't feel the solution is to "train" cast members to spot fakes, either- that's a can of customer service worms they don't want to open.

Oh, and as a side-note...Disney's outlets only carry clearance merchandise (i.e. stuff that's not selling, or has run its course in the stores). If they've ever carried damaged merchandise, it's happened once released. They have quality control for ALL their merchandise, so they wouldn't release what you consider 'seconds" on the outlet levels. As I stated earlier...that stuff goes to the trash, so what I assume you mean by "seconds" (clothes that come out with flaws, for example?) don't exist for Disney. That stuff goes in the trash.

No one has issue with buying pins from the outlets...they're Disney's outlets, why would that be a bad thing? Disney sets the price, Disney sells them. I'm there all the time.

In the end, you're going to believe whatever you want...but it's always good to listen to traders who have been around for a while and know what they're talking about. Once you have all the info, you can make whatever decision you want. But I think it's a major mistake to assume what's going on in China is in ANY way legit.

Every trader has to decide for his/herself as to what kind of moral code they want to carry. Do they want to be the kind of trader who supports thieves, and China's thriving counterfeit black market? Do they care about the people who end up with their fakes? Or are they just out for getting what they want, no matter what the ethical cost?

Bravo!!
*clap clap clap*

There is a reason that Disney refuses to require CMs to refuse trades involving scrapper/bootleg/fantasy/fake pins. Children. The first rule that every CM is taught is to never break the magic. When the tea cup ride is down and a kid comes up to ride it, the CM nevers says I'm sorry it's broken. They calmly say to the child that Alice is away at a tea party and she will be back later.

If a young child with a lanyard full of scrapper pins was at the park and they raced up to a CM to ask for a trade for that one special pin...and the CM said to them that they can't do the trade because the child's pin is not tradeable because it is a scrapper/bootleg/fantasy/fake pin...the child's spirit would be dashed.

We aren't young children... We are old enough that we should be able educate ourselves on the subject of bad pins and do our best to keep them out of the parks. We have developed moral standings at this point. I understand that some people don't have the same moral standings on these things or the same respect for the hobby. I'm not saying that people who trade these pins are bad people...knowingly or unknowingly...It does however make me quite sad that people continue to buy and trade these pins to save a few bucks...but this kind of thing will happen in any hobby I suppose...

I do ask though...that you don't trade these pins :( please...please please please please don't take advantage of the fact that CMs are required to accept a trade as long as it has the logo...please don't play on the fact that there are no rules in place about this because Disney wants to keep the dreams of the children that visit the parks intact...please...

Oh, and Bootlegs are different than seconds.
I never said bootleg.
Ignorance abounds in this hobby and feeds off it's self.
Though sadly it's been that way since the beginning.
Twisting what others say.

when I read this the only person I thought was being ignorant is you as everyone on the forum knows about scrappers and with you trying to preach they are second is just quite frankly deluded and insane.

So would you consider getting a $1-$2 pin off ebay and its not OFFICIALLY been released or not put out on lanyards i,e Hidden Mickeys a seconds pin or would you agree that its a fake pin or would you stand by your comment on youtube stating that there is no such things as fake pins?? when clearly they are.

I think you need to read the article regarding the 2 US men who got arrested for selling FAKE disney pins worth $2 million.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+lanowblog+(L.A.+Now)

After reading that article come back to us and then tell us what you think then regarding fake pins etx and if you still believe there are second pins then I dont think you will change your mind.

@Merryweather.
Thanks for watchin'
I hope you also noticed it's posted under comedy.
People take this stuff way too serious.
Learn to step back and laugh.
The joke is on the ones that are the maddest.

@Merryweather.
Thanks for watchin'
I hope you also noticed it's posted under comedy.
People take this stuff way too serious.
Learn to step back and laugh.
The joke is on the ones that are the maddest.

Guys. I think someone's tryin' to troll us.

I'll just watch this explode.

179341_o.gif

EDIT: darn, ninja'd by yosoyahpuch haha

Last edited:
Yep..same theory...if I write Disney on a piece of paper..it doesn't make it "Disney Paper"...or does it now?

u mean its not real if i do that???..lol i was going to put disney on a bunch of crap and than sell it to the vidkid and the 1andonly on ebay.

sorry, I just do pins

u mean...sorry u just buy fakes and scrappers... thats cool...like i said...we wont have to here from u for long... ppl that hurt the hobby are not welcome here. DPF is for real disney fans. not for ppl looking for the easy road... u can start ur own ebay and fake pin club...lol

Oh, you mean people who have $$.
It's all so clear now

Because every hobby you have done before this one and will do after pin trading is free of charge?!? This is a voluntary hobby, no one is forced to collect pins. Every past time I can think of, from reading books, to collecting, to watching animals incurs some kind of cost

That being said, IMHO, if you can not do the hobby right, do not do it at all. Do not make the situation worse by knowingly buy, sell, and trade scrappers that just make it less fun for those trying to do it right.

As for "Seconds" - I would love to see sellers put on their auctions that they were obtained from other sources than Disney, and are possible scrappers, and see if people still buy. Too often, sellers hide behind "But it has the Disney logo", so it is able to be traded at parks.

To Disney Proper, "Seconds" are just as bad as Scrappers, as they are UNAUTHORIZED products not approved for release.

Last edited:
Has anyone reported the1andonlytikicarol to the mods? I will if no one has. They have joined the former under a few names now and are just blowing up the forum with useless info. They obviously have no life and nothing else to do. Many have tried to help and sent them here to help them. Obviously it didn't work and they don't get it. Let's start the New Year with the true collectors that do care about the hobby and have them blocked. Reminds me of two others members not so long ago that have been banned, I won't mention any names but many of you know who they are. There is no need for people like this on the forum.

"But it has the Disney logo", so it is able to be traded at parks

Sadly THAT is the FACT.

Back in '01 when Monogram sold out their inventory to a local wholesaler, the brakes should have been put on then.
After a few years Disney tried by instituting the "Mouse Ears Trading Logo" to get those #275, #514, #581, and the like...(there were like a dozen or so) even those #298, out of circulation.
Remember THOSE?
You'd walk the Park and maybe come out with 2 pins because the CM's kept 1 on their lanyards.
Then in '03, Disneyland went to cloisonne' only. Remember THAT Fiasco?
It's not that there is no easy answer.
Sadly there is no way unless Disney stops trading entirely and only sells pins like pre 1999.
If all that is on lanyards is "fake" (your words) anyway, them maybe that's what they should do.
Just quite the trading entirely.
That would put the value back into Disneyana as a whole.

Last edited:
^ That is what you focused on out of my post?!?

How about:
To Disney Proper, "Seconds" are just as bad as Scrappers, as they are UNAUTHORIZED products not approved for release.

And for all of you who are call for my BAN, the only way to stop the plight is to have an open discushion.
Not squelch a deserting voice like some Fashus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back