• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Dolls Appreciation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gothel really does look goof in Rapunzel's dress. The rest look a little out of sorts but, not Gothel. Grimhilde and Maleficent could pull off those dresses too, although not nearly as nicely.

Gothel really does look goof in Rapunzel's dress. The rest look a little out of sorts but, not Gothel. Grimhilde and Maleficent could pull off those dresses too, although not nearly as nicely.

I totally agree that Mother Gothel looks the most natural in her counterpart's outfit, as she appears rather younger and "girly." than normal. I would have liked to have taken the black gloves off of her, but it took me so long to get them on originally (they are a very snug fit), that I did not want to go through that again! Designer Queen Grimhilde's look of disgust kind of ruins the overall look of her in Snow White's gown, but otherwise, she looks ok. I like how her earrings are quite clear of the white collar and very prominent. I also agree that Designer Maleficent does not look terrible in the blue Aurora gown (I've seen her in the "new look" pink gown... and let's just say that Maleficent would neve forgive me for putting her in that bright pink color!). In the blue Aurora gown, she looks like a medieval lady with those horn-headresses. All I need to do is hang a veil over her hair horns!

Designer Ursula in that Ariel fashion pack blue outfit and Lady Tremaine in Cinderella's gown just look silly! I think it is partially because of their expressions, but also because their hair is way too big for those outfits! This was a very fun project, and perfectly timed for both Easter and April Fool's Day!

It doesn't now!

Yes, Designer Maleficent was available at midnight, and at that time, one could put her in your cart for purchase, but now either the available stock sold out or she was totally put up in error (as has happened with Designer Queen Grimhilde so many times-and any orders made will eventually have her canceled from the order, as it has been reported). Right now, her item page looks like you can add her to your cart, but when you click on the button, an error message will appear stating something like: "This item is no longer available." No doubt, by tomorrow, if they do not take her off the DS.com visibility, she'll probably be updated to say "Sold Out" again.

Oh, wow! :) Shiva, I adore your Princess Villainesses! ^_^ I especially love Queen Grimhilde's look, her crown seems to go very well with the pale yellow of Snow's skirt... I love her! :D I wonder how the Queen of Hearts would look in an Alice dress? Quite cute, I think- I can imagine it! ^_^ I love all your fun doll projects- good job! :) <3

I am so desperate for a Maleficent deisgner doll!! I will forever regret not buying one when they had them on disneystore UK :(!

What a fun idea! I actually think Grimhilde retains her queenly nature the best in this set! Maleficent ranks second for me. Gothel looks more demure and girly. Tremaine looks awkward and uncomfortable, like a tomboy in a fancy dress for the first time. Ursula looks like she wants to pull off Ariel's dress, but.... can't. :p

Hahahaha! I love this addition to the series! You are such a fun addition to this site! I totally responded to all of these divas.
Grimhilde totally looks like "Seriously? You are photographing this? I will end you."
Maleficent looks like she's thinking "Oh...I do like it better in blue" and kind of looks like she shouldn't but actually does look good in the dress.
Lady Tremaine looks cold. Not cold hearted, but cold as if she was left in some walk-in freezer for a while...and maybe...you know...died.
Ursula...ok...I have to admit that ever since I first saw the Designer Ursula...all I could think after looking at her face was that she looked...well...like her expression was one that says "You smell that? It was I. I farted." I'm getting one soon, so maybe she won't look that way in person, but all I can think is that Ursula farted in Ariel's dress.
And then there is Mother Gothel. She looks really good! It's almost as if her motivation was "I only wanted to be special and loved." The whole look does look really good on her. Plus, with the gloves, it also is like she has a fear of touching anything or being touched.

I swear, I just love all the psychology that the princesses and villains bring up by simply swapping their clothes!

:p I'm so glad that you like that fun little stint I did with the Villainesses in their counterparts' outfits! It really was a spur-of-the-moment kind of decision I made last Sunday, and I am glad that I decided to actually do it. :)

This is a hint at my next photo project:

Disney Princess Designer Collection
by Princess.Aurora, on Flickr

I want to revisit the 2011 Designer Princess doll collection. My original reviews were with stock photos, so I want to showcase each one a bit better with the actual dolls that I see every day. And I am also pleased to say that some of my opinions have changed about a few of them (for the better). So I plan on posting pictures of my actual dolls with updated reviews of each princess. I will have to revisit my original reviews to see what I had posted about them before and then type up my 2013 thoughts...

My Designer Princess Dolls - Group

I'll be looking forward to it Shivatopia! When I first read the words Decision & Project, my first thought was that you were going to debox them and do some picture reviews, as you did deboxed your Villains. But that's alright, I can't wait to read your reviews, they're the best! :D

I AM SO HAPPY! Thanks to the computer error of Maleficent popping up online last week, I went for the plunge and now have the complete collection! :D At first, I had my favorites (Evil Queen, Cruella, and The Queen of Hearts) because, hello, they are gorgeous! And when Maleficent popped up, I decided to by the last 3 that I needed. Gothel looks so rich and demure in such a "less is SO much more" sort of way. Ursula's face (in person) does not have that "I just farted" look to it. Instead she looks like "Yep, I lost 300lbs by doing nothing and I. Look. FABULOUS!" And then Maleficent...oh my God. Seriously, do the DisneyStore people just take photos with disposable cameras and then try to photoshop them? She looks a million times better in person than she ever has online. And her expression, oh it looks so stunningly devious. ;D
I kid you not, had I seen these dolls in person when they first came out, I would have been a fan from the start...and spent WAY more money than I have on these divas. So, it really is true I guess...all good (wicked) things to those who wait. (In this case at least.) ;)

Also, 2 "p.s." statements;
1) I am so posting pictures of my wickedly glorious collection soon...after I find places for everything. (Seriously, these divas take up so much space!)
2) I'm sorry, but don't these Designer Villains look like contestants from Ru Paul's Drag Race? I LOVE them even more for that reason. ;D

I AM SO HAPPY! Thanks to the computer error of Maleficent popping up online last week, I went for the plunge and now have the complete collection! :D At first, I had my favorites (Evil Queen, Cruella, and The Queen of Hearts) because, hello, they are gorgeous! And when Maleficent popped up, I decided to by the last 3 that I needed. Gothel looks so rich and demure in such a "less is SO much more" sort of way. Ursula's face (in person) does not have that "I just farted" look to it. Instead she looks like "Yep, I lost 300lbs by doing nothing and I. Look. FABULOUS!" And then Maleficent...oh my God. Seriously, do the DisneyStore people just take photos with disposable cameras and then try to photoshop them? She looks a million times better in person than she ever has online. And her expression, oh it looks so stunningly devious. ;D
I kid you not, had I seen these dolls in person when they first came out, I would have been a fan from the start...and spent WAY more money than I have on these divas. So, it really is true I guess...all good (wicked) things to those who wait. (In this case at least.) ;)

Also, 2 "p.s." statements;
1) I am so posting pictures of my wickedly glorious collection soon...after I find places for everything. (Seriously, these divas take up so much space!)
2) I'm sorry, but don't these Designer Villains look like contestants from Ru Paul's Drag Race? I LOVE them even more for that reason. ;D

So glad to hear that you got them all! :) They are a great set. I almost bought another Designer Maleficent that night, but I already have two (one in the box and one deboxed), so I held back to try to prevent myself from spending more money! It's even better that you were able to collectively buy them for less than the original price. I partially wish I had known that they would have been available for so long so I could have saved some more money too, but oh well... I don't regret having them since the release, because they are magnificent and as you all know, I have had a lot of fun with photo projects for them. :) I look forward to your pictures!

...Oh, and yes, they do look deliciously drag: over-the-top and dressed to the nines! "Dramatic" is the key word for the villains in the same way that "pretty" is for the Designer Princesses.

As I've been working more on my Designer Princess revisit, another side project demanded some attention. First, Rapunzel is just refusing to give up her "Dark Rapunzel" gown! :p She really enjoys wearing the rich colors of burgundy and gold. Second, Flynn Rider wants to show off his "new" classic outfit. I always thought that the Mattel version of Flynn Rider's outfit was worlds better than the Disney Store's version, so I obtained an extra set of threads for him (boots and satchel included), and I think he looks incredibly dashing! Perhaps Flynn Rider can return Rapunzel back to the light?

Dark Rapunzel & Flynn Rider - 03

Dark Rapunzel & Flynn Rider - 01

Dark Rapunzel & Flynn Rider - 02

Oh WOW, really love this Flynn doll! The Mattel clothes look perfect on him, he now looks more movie accurate and sharp :D . DS Flynn doll + Mattel clothes = Best Flynn doll to date! Seriously Shiva, your ideas are genius, keep showing us more please!

Oh WOW, really love this Flynn doll! The Mattel clothes look perfect on him, he now looks more movie accurate and sharp :D . DS Flynn doll + Mattel clothes = Best Flynn doll to date! Seriously Shiva, your ideas are genius, keep showing us more please!

Thanks, alex! :) I really appreciate your positive feedback and I am so glad that you like my little photo projects! I really like sharing these artsy dress-up projects, as they really allow me to gather and sort doll all of these clothes and accessories to maximize my deboxed dolls and try new looks. I have a lot of dolls that stay int heir boxes, so this lets me enjoy these pretty dolls in a totally new way. Also, let's face it: almost every doll out there can be improved on in some way (this will come up again very soon in a future post!). :p

Ok, I cannot resist sharing some more pictures of DS Flynn Rider in Mattel Flynn's outfit and accessories! I never understood how on Earth the Disney Store version of Flynn Rider has such a poorly designed outfit which looks bulky and not very film-accurate, whereas the Mattel play doll's outfit was just so much better. The Mattel outfit uses a faux teal blue leather material for the doublet, adds elements of his white shirt at the neckline to give the illusion that he is wearing a full white shirt underneath, the sleeves of his white shirt are able to be bunched up at the elbows to look as if the sleeves were rolled up, his pants are made from a perfect material that looks exactly like Flynn's pants in the film, and his boots, belt, and satchel are all nicely detailed.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mattel Flynn's body is slimmer than the Disney Store doll's body, so the doublet and belt are a bit snug (but thankfully still fasten completely closed on him), and the boots are just a tad small (but again can still fit on his feet). Luckily, Flynn is a slender guy, so the fitted look of his clothes works very well.

Flynn Rider - 01

Flynn Rider - 02

Flynn Rider - 07

So I figured this is the thread to ask this question. What is the name of this Aurora Doll? The Mulan was named "Imperial Beauty" for example. I decided to start a Disney doll collection (cause I apparently don't have enough things to collect) and this is the only Aurora doll (besides the Designer doll) that I like so far.

6831828575_74dd2fa1a5.jpg

pic credit in link.

Designer Princess Doll Collection (revisited):
As I previously mentioned, I want to revisit this beautiful (and troublesome) collection from 2011 that many of us underwent ridiculous amounts of stress during the release schedule. I started this very thread during that time in order to keep everyone's spirits up in spite of all of the trouble that these dolls were creating by sharing and discussing the beauty of all Disney dolls in general.
I made brief reviews of each of the Designer Princess dolls back then, but now a year-and-a-half later, I want to post actual pictures of my collection and reflect on my current opinions about them. You may agree or disagree with my opinions, but please remember that they are only opinions! :) I will be posting these new revisited reviews in no particular order, starting with...

Designer Pocahontas:
The daughter of Chief Powhatan is the favorite princess of one of the first and best friends I made here on DPF, and Designer Pocahontas makes a very lovely doll. To summarize, my original thoughts were: that she was very pretty, but bears a strong resemblance to model and TV host Padma Lakshmi; her lipstick color was too pale; she has a rather mediocre, stiff in-box pose; the fabric of her gown was poorly chosen both in terms of the dark color and fabric texture (it looks like a felt material and not very luxe); the beading at her shoulder was a very beautiful redeeming feature of her gown; who knew what her clutch purse was supposed to represent; and that I thought that her hair should have featured a more free-flowing style to reflect Pocahontas' free spirit.

My opinions on all of these points have not changed, but I do like her a lot more than when I first got her. Luckily, even though I am not a heavy doll deboxer, I am not shy about opening the box and reposing or enhancing some of my favorite dolls. After all, I have no intention of ever letting them go! The first thing I did was to turn Pocahontas' head so that she was looking at the front of the case instead of toward the left-hand side, which is the direction her body is facing. Pocahontas is one of the two dolls in the collection that does not have side-glancing eyes (the other is Designer Aurora), so I felt that my doll would look better if she were actually looking more directly toward her observer instead of blankly staring off into the distance. Her in-box pose is rather stiff, though at least it is not as terrible as what they did to Designer Mother Gothel's in-box pose, but short of partially or fully deboxing her, there really is not a whole lot that one can do with Designer Pocahontas' body position. At least they did not give her the dainty bent-wrist hand position that they tend to give the Disney Princesses.

My next and biggest modification to my Designer Pochontas doll is adding her mother's necklace to her ensemble. Now, the Disney Store Pocahontas dolls have never had satisfactory necklaces made for them, so I had to draw upon my 1995 Mattel Sun Colors Pocahontas doll for this necklace. I think it looks amazing on her and adds a special bright pop of contrasting color to her otherwise very dark ensemble. Pocahontas' mother's necklace was the most obvious accessory that they should have given to her in the first place, and yet it was completely overlooked! The Mattel necklace is made of a singe piece of blue and white hard plastic and therefore lacks any sparkle, which is fine, because Pocahontas' mother's necklace was probably supposed to be made of ceramic beads or perhaps turquoise or shells, which are not sparkly by nature. In any case, this necklace pulls her away from looking too dark, and therefore fading into the background when grouped with the other Designer Princesses. What is also nice is that Designer Pocahontas' eyeshadow is a light blue-gray color, so the necklace harmonizes with it.

I still have plans to someday make my own Designer gown for Pocahontas, and it will be rather different that the one that the Disney Store made. But I do really like the Designer Pocahontas doll a lot more than I initially did back in 2011. She has a very quiet and mature beauty, which has been bumped up a notch with the addition of her mother's necklace! :)

Designer Pocahontas with her mother's necklace - 01

Designer Pocahontas with her mother's necklace - 02

Designer Pocahontas with her mother's necklace - 03

Designer Pocahontas with her mother's necklace - 04

Designer Pocahontas with her mother's necklace - 05

Stay tuned for the next revisited Designer Princess review coming soon...

Last edited:
Ahh i wish I owned designer pocahontas! I love her dress it's so elegant and beautiful! I'm not a huge fan of her hair as they made it really thin on the doll and i like how in the concept art her pony tail is really big and full! But urgh she's beautiful haha!

I'm hoping to get a cheap Pocahontas doll off ebay and i'm going to make my own designer doll ^_^! Different from the original designer doll (which i still hope to get one day) but my own version :D

Nice to see you revisiting the Designer Princess Collection Shiva!

I agree with you on all of those points, actually. The first thing I thought when I saw her back in 2011 was that she looked like Padma. Like you, I have grown to like the doll more over time. She is still one of my least favorites of the collection, but she is still gorgeous nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back