• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Dolls Appreciation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Dolls Appreciation Discussion
It is no big secret that I love actress/singer Traci Hines' renditions of Ariel, and Dark Ariel reminds me of Traci's shout out to Vanessa/Ursula in her cover music video of "Part of Your World" (available to see on youTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o30kw8Zji0). As always, her hair contrasts well with the dark colors of Designer Ursula's gown.

Dark Ariel - 01 by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Dark Ariel - 03
by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Dark Ariel - 06 by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Dark Ariel - 05

What an amazing job Shivatopia! I photograped my Designer Rapunzel and Ariel with Designer Gothel and Ursula's gowns respectively, when I received those dolls last year. Unfortunately, I photographed them with my semi-pro camera, so the pictures aren't that great. Now that I own a Pro Camera, I would love to retake those pictures and share them with you :) !

I always thought that Rapunzel rocks Mother Gothel's gown. The color simply suits her perfectly, and the flower details are so Rapunzel themed. I have considered buying an extra Designer Rapunzel and Gothel, to have display Designer Rapunzel in Gothel's Designer dress. I decided not to do it as it will turn out a little expensive to buy this 2 dolls again, plus space is an issue for me at the moment :( .

OHMYGODILOVETHESE!!!!!! They look SO AMAZING!!!!!!! Rapunzel looks like she's a beautiful and benevolent queen of her people. Snow still looks so soft and delicate, but now also very powerful and mature...yet still very demure. Aurora looks so very "Oh, this old thing? I just found it on the ground and decided to alter it." Almost like she is so innocent and good hearted that she didn't realize "Oh...I'm wearing Maleficent's old clothes." And Ariel looks pretty hardcore! The dress really picks up the red of her hair. It almost makes it look like she's less a "daughter of the water" and more a "madame of the flame".
I LOVE IT!!!! :D

It is no big secret that I love actress/singer Traci Hines' renditions of Ariel, and Dark Ariel reminds me of Traci's shout out to Vanessa/Ursula in her cover music video of "Part of Your World" (available to see on youTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o30kw8Zji0). As always, her hair contrasts well with the dark colors of Designer Ursula's gown.

Dark Ariel - 01 by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Dark Ariel - 03

Dark Ariel - 06 by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Dark Ariel - 05

I love Traci too!!!! Been youtube friends with her for years (we both sing)! I love her vid and you're right, very much like what she wore in it ;)

Here are some more pictures I took of Dark Ariel today with natural lighting. Last night, Dark Ariel was not ready for her photo shoot until after the sun went down. My camera is a very simple point-and-shoot digital camera, so there are always challenges with the lighting, but Dark Ariel's stunning color contrasts always shine through.

Dark Ariel - 09 by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Dark Ariel - 11

Dark Ariel - 12

Dark Ariel - 14

Oh I am excited! My Cruella and Queen of Hearts are both sitting in wait in the UPS station...that is right near my house apparently. (But I guess today doesn't count as a business day so I have to wait even longer! Gah!) I almost want to drive over to the station and be like "HEY! That name on the box, yeah that's me. GIMMIEGIMMIE!!!!") And! I just received the email confirmation that my Evil Queen has been shipped and should arrive on Thursday the 28th.
Even though these have been around for a while now, I'm so excited! :D

Plus, the nerd-geek in me is also very excited because there is a Glinda wand in the box with Cruella and the Queen of Hearts. ;D

Got Ursula and Maleficent designer doll Friday and today! Got Maleficent for a great price and Ursula from disneystore.com Both are great dolls! Only wanted one of these dolls originally, now the completist in me wants to get them all!

Not to be left out, I just had to include Belle in this latest "Dark Princess" project somehow, but since she does not have a female villain, I had to dress her in either Designer Cruella de Vil or The Designer Queen of Hearts' gown. I already dressed Snow White in Designer Cruella de Vil's outfit as Blanche de Vil, and I think she looks perfect, so that left The Designer Queen of Hearts, who has a very romantic gown.

The greatest challenge was how to style Belle's hair with this outfit, because the Belle dolls all have hair that is much longer than Belle's hair ever was in the film. The Designer Queen of Hearts has not only a huge tulle collar, but she also has a backless gown, so tucking her hair down the inside of the back of the gown to hide it was not an option. At least a partial updo was the only option. I knew I wanted her to have a section of her hair in front as a tribute to her elegant ballroom scene hairdo from the film. The rest of her hair had to be bound up behind her head. Overall, I think her hair turned out ok; she reminds me of a lady from the 18th century French Royal Court. I used the Disney Parks Belle doll, as she is my favorite Belle base doll. So may I now present: Belle du Coeur!

Belle du Coeur - 01

Belle du Coeur - 03

Belle du Coeur - 07

Belle du Coeur - 06

You know, Belle in the Queen's gown looks a lot like the Evil Queen from Mirror Mirror with Julia Roberts. I love it.
And...you know...you could put Belle in Cruella's coat and say that she really had...slain the Beast. ;D

Belle in The Designer Queen of Hearts' gown does resemble Julia Roberts' Evil Queen from Mirror, Mirror... I totally did not see that until you brought it up! :p

So to wrap up this photo project for now, here are a few more pictures I took today, including a guest-star! :)

Disney Villain Opposites (a.k.a. "Dark Princesses") - 03

The "Dark Princesses" & Designer Cruella de Vil

Dark Snow White - 08

Dark Rapunzel - 07

Dark Aurora - 07 by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Designer Cruella de Vil - "Anita, Dahling!"

Belle in The Designer Queen of Hearts' gown does resemble Julia Roberts' Evil Queen from Mirror, Mirror... I totally did not see that until you brought it up! :p

So to wrap up this photo project for now, here are a few more pictures I took today, including a guest-star! :)

Disney Villain Opposites (a.k.a. "Dark Princesses") - 03

The "Dark Princesses" & Designer Cruella de Vil

Dark Snow White - 08

Dark Rapunzel - 07

Dark Aurora - 07 by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Designer Cruella de Vil - "Anita, Dahling!"

these are gorgeous! <3

While that is just perfect, how are you going to do Cinderella and Tremaine??

I would love to do a Cinderella/Lady Tremaine dress up. I will try it with a play Cinderella doll and the Lady Tremaine play doll gown, but may look a bit too cheap, so Cinderella wight look terribly inadequate next to the other Dark Princesses. Ideally, I would make my own Lady Tremaine gown for Cinderella. It is certainly something to put on my list of things to do... :) I also want to make better versions of Anastasia and Drizella's gowns for the corrected play dolls I have. The gowns that they come in are ok, but they do not have enough room in the back to make proper bustles and also have an even hemline. Keep an eye out!

Last edited:
Okay, this is for HugsxNxKisses(X0X0), and all fans of Cinderella and Lady Tremaine! I have a spare Lady Tremaine gown to put on my 2011 Classic Disney Princess 10-pack Cinderella play doll, so I figured I would at least try to see how she looked. I kept her white gloves on (that seems appropriate for Lady Tremaine anyway, even though Lady Tremaine never wears gloves in the film), and I also kept the tulle petticoat I had Cinderella "borrow" from the blonde Wedding Rapunzel doll that my Cinderella wears with her normal gown from the 2011 Princess doll set. Since her light blue headband is attached to her head, I did not remove the headband, so it does clash a little with the red outfit. Oh well. Anyway, here is Dark Cinderella!

Dark Cinderella - 01

Dark Cinderella - 04

Dark Cinderella - 03 by Rathful.de.Vil, on Flickr

Dark Cinderella - 05

I finally got my QoH and Cruella in the mail today. I only saw them online until I got them. Oh...My...God. I am in love. They are ridiculously gorgeous. Sure they look really good online. But seriously, they look a million times better in person. The Queen of Hearts...I don't understand at all why I find her so gorgeous. I think it's the expression on her face? I just sort of sat there in total awe when I saw her. And Cruella. D. Vah. I love and adore how much she looks like a total Diva and B***H! There's no other way to describe it. I LOVE HER! (I do have to admit though...I HATED how they boxed her. So, I detached the dress from the box and draped it across the front of her. Gives more sparkle and drama to her look I think. Plus, I figure that I am keeping these for the rest of my days so...I can do as I please.) ;)
On Thursday, I should be receiving the Evil Queen. I seriously can't wait. :D

I finally got my QoH and Cruella in the mail today. I only saw them online until I got them. Oh...My...God. I am in love. They are ridiculously gorgeous. Sure they look really good online. But seriously, they look a million times better in person. The Queen of Hearts...I don't understand at all why I find her so gorgeous. I think it's the expression on her face? I just sort of sat there in total awe when I saw her. And Cruella. D. Vah. I love and adore how much she looks like a total Diva and B***H! There's no other way to describe it. I LOVE HER! (I do have to admit though...I HATED how they boxed her. So, I detached the dress from the box and draped it across the front of her. Gives more sparkle and drama to her look I think. Plus, I figure that I am keeping these for the rest of my days so...I can do as I please.) ;)
On Thursday, I should be receiving the Evil Queen. I seriously can't wait. :D

Congratulations on getting Designer Cruella de Vil and Deisgner Queen of Hearts in hand! :) I totally agree that the stock photos do not do justice to any of the Designer Villain dolls, and that they are all far more beautiful in person, even the controversial Designer Ursula and the often-neglected Designer Mother Gothel dolls. Many of them grew on me the more I looked at them, and once I started deboxing them, I really love all of them a lot! Like you, I do not like the way most of them are posed in the box, so I also tend to tweak a few things here and there for my boxed Designer dolls. I don't plan on selling them ever, so why not? Maybe someday, I'll free them from the factory restraints, repose them, and still display them in their cases. That is what these display cases are for, right?

My favorite is Designer Cruella de Vil, not only because she is my favorite Disney Villain, but also because I think that she is the most beautiful of the six. You will love Designer Queen Grimhilde (Evil Queen) when you get her on Thursday!

Designer Cruella de Vil

So, I had a wonderful surprise yesterday. My Evil Queen came early! :D
So, now I have my Cruella, Evil Queen, and Queen of Hearts displayed proudly and beautifully with my 17" villains. <3 Seriously, they are ridiculously stunning.
But in all seriousness, what is the Disney Store doing? Taking their photos with disposable cameras and then attempting photoshop? THEY ARE A MILLION TIMES MORE GORGEOUS IN PERSON!!
And...is it just me, or do the villain dolls seem considerably larger than the princesses? If anything, they just seem, I don't know, bigger? Maybe it's because they have way larger personalities and are...oh...I dunno...BETTER! ;)
Now...I have that age old problem that Designer Doll collectors have to face: what in the world do I do with these confounded covers? Seriously...they aren't even made in a way where you can break them down without feeling like you are destroying them. They are stand alone pretty and all...but gah!
Ah, if you will excuse me, I'm gonna go admire my dolls for a second. :D

So, I had a wonderful surprise yesterday. My Evil Queen came early! :D
So, now I have my Cruella, Evil Queen, and Queen of Hearts displayed proudly and beautifully with my 17" villains. <3 Seriously, they are ridiculously stunning.
But in all seriousness, what is the Disney Store doing? Taking their photos with disposable cameras and then attempting photoshop? THEY ARE A MILLION TIMES MORE GORGEOUS IN PERSON!!
And...is it just me, or do the villain dolls seem considerably larger than the princesses? If anything, they just seem, I don't know, bigger? Maybe it's because they have way larger personalities and are...oh...I dunno...BETTER! ;)
Now...I have that age old problem that Designer Doll collectors have to face: what in the world do I do with these confounded covers? Seriously...they aren't even made in a way where you can break them down without feeling like you are destroying them. They are stand alone pretty and all...but gah!
Ah, if you will excuse me, I'm gonna go admire my dolls for a second. :D

Congratulations on getting your Designer Queen Grimhilde (Evil Queen) a day early! :) It is always a wonderful thing when things arrive early for our benefit, especially for things that we want so badly!

The Designer Villains may seem a bit bigger than the Designer Princesses because of their bigger hair (Designer Cruella, Designer Ursula, Designer Maleficent) and also many of them have more volume in their costumes (high collars, cloaks/fur coat, fancy embroidered trains, etc.). After much thought about the two collections, I think that the Designer Villain Collection appears a lot more dramatic for many reasons, including: 1) it's very true that their personalities are very much larger than life (otherwise, they would not be memorable villains at all), 2) the inspiration for this particular collection was drawn from stage-costume-meets-fashion-runway (both of which must pack a strong visual punch at first sight), 3) as a second collection, the designer had time to address any shortcomings that any of the Designer Princess designs had in doll form, and 4) the color palette for the Designer Villains Collection stands out more with bolder, darker colors (black, purple, red) as opposed to the generally lighter pastel tones that the Designer Princesses wear.

I wish I had a good answer for you about the slip covers. All of my slip covers are stashed away in bigger boxes and in storage. I know what you mean about not wanting to collapse them. It just seems wrong!

Enjoy your villainous beauties! :)

Dark Aurora is my favorite!

Thanks! I have had a lot of fun with this project! :)

However, not to be outdone, here are the Disney Villainess' April Fool's Day! In addition, they look very "Easter" in their pastels!

April Fool's Day 2013 - 01
by Princess.Aurora, on Flickr

April Fool's Day 2013 - Queen Grimhilde

April Fool's Day 2013 - Maleficent

April Fool's Day 2013 - Lady Tremaine

April Fool's Day 2013 - Ursula

April Fool's Day 2013 - Mother Gothel

April Fool's Day 2013 - 03

Last edited:
OH MY GODNESS!!!!!! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! Lady Tremaine looks so young. I like how the blue compliments Ursula and Maleficent's skin!!!!!!!!! Gothel actually looks good in it and Grimhilde looks embarrassed LOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back